Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: JJ Flash Live? w/ Brian
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 17, 2006 17:22

>> Keith makes an almost whistle-grin with his mouth next to a microphone, in a dotty shirt. <<

that's the one i started that old Lesser-Known Tele thread with - the one i gave a link to up there somewhere.
there's also another early shot of Keith with it in Bill's book - i'll let you know what page it's on when i have time to track it down.

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 17, 2006 18:49

The version you see here is a specially recorded version, and the Stones mime on a backing track. The back-up you hear is Keith and Jimmy Miller, all guitars are by Keith. This video has been available since it was broadcasted in 1968.

The Tele of Brian is most probably a '66 one.

Mathijs

Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: May 17, 2006 19:30

I have uptill nowonly seen about 20 seconds of this on TOTP in UK and its in brilliant colour anyone got the full version in colour????

Date: May 17, 2006 19:55

>> anyone got the full version in colour? <<

yeah - there's a 4- or 5-disk set called "RS Video Anthology" (or something like that) that includes three versions.
the quality isn't 100% brilliant, but it's cool to have them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-19 00:06 by with sssoul.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 17, 2006 21:11

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The version you see here is a specially recorded
> version, and the Stones mime on a backing track.
> The back-up you hear is Keith and Jimmy Miller,
> all guitars are by Keith. This video has been
> available since it was broadcasted in 1968.
>
> The Tele of Brian is most probably a '66 one.
>
> Mathijs

There are 2 versions, a make-up and
a non -make-up version. Both are with
the same backing track.

Date: May 17, 2006 21:55

>> There are 2 versions <<

yeah, but there are two versions of both of the versions. :E
i've got the no-warpaint version in colour and in b&w, and two warpaint versions: the "normal" one and the long one,
which has a really long outro and ends with Keith studying his fingernails and then unslinging his guitar.
(that long one's on the DVD in the third box set of ABKCO singles - beautiful picture quality,
but the way they mixed Mick's "vocal addenda" even louder than the main vocal line is pretty awful.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-18 21:48 by with sssoul.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: May 18, 2006 00:30

Mathijs Wrote:
> The back-up you hear is Keith and Jimmy Miller,
> all guitars are by Keith.

Here you go again denying Brian credit for playing on another track. How do you know Brian did not play on it? From the sources I've read, Brian does play on the studio version of JJF, most probably those lead high-note licks during the chorus. It's interesting those lead chorus riffs are never played during any live version of JJF over the past 30 years. If Keith had played those lead lines, one would think he would play them live. Anyway, you seem to derive pleasure from discrediting Brian at every turn. Hey, maybe that wasn't Brian playing the slide in Little Red Rooster . . .

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 18, 2006 00:31

>The back-up you hear is Keith and Jimmy Miller, all guitars are by Keith. This >video has been available since it was broadcasted in 1968.

just want to get your info on why you think Brian Jones didnt play guitar on the Studio of JJF....
I have definitive information that HE DID PLAY on this.....

JR

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 18, 2006 00:34

Aren't we talking about the special video-version of JJFlash....not the original single-version?

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 18, 2006 00:40

Hey I almost like this one as much as my "Favorite" version,

the start of the movie: Gimme Shelter

That's my all time fave, band sounded sooo tight in 1969!!!
especially Mick Taylor's lead at the end!!!

MLC

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: May 18, 2006 01:14

It sounds almost like the way they do it now, especially the ending. I don't believe in going back in time but the coat and shirt that the Jag is wearing is WAAAY cool.

Date: May 18, 2006 01:53

Yes to both..he played on BOTH of them....hey NEPTUNE, HE DID play on both...verbatim from Jimmy Miller....not through me, but from a good friend...

Mathijs should check his Brian hating files before he announces another hater post...

JR

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 18, 2006 02:09

Nice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-18 02:11 by Bingo.

Date: May 18, 2006 02:13

neptune Wrote:
> Mathijs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The back-up you hear is Keith and Jimmy Miller,
> > all guitars are by Keith.
>
> Here you go again denying Brian credit for playing
> on another track. How do you know Brian did not
> play on it? From the sources I've read, Brian
> does play on the studio version of JJF, most
> probably those lead high-note licks during the
> chorus. It's interesting those lead chorus riffs
> are never played during any live version of JJF
> over the past 30 years. If Keith had played those
> lead lines, one would think he would play them
> live. Anyway, you seem to derive pleasure from
> discrediting Brian at every turn. Hey, maybe that
> wasn't Brian playing the slide in Little Red
> Rooster . . .

You did not understand what I have said. The "live" audio you hear on this video was recorded the day before the video was shot, and according to various sources -Bill Wyman, Jimmy Miller - Brian did not attend the taping of the new audio version. Further to that, I don't HEAR Brian playing -all guitars I personally hear on THIS version are by Keith, not Brian.

On the official studio version, you clearly hear Brian -he's playing the sitar-like descending phrases.

I am not against Brian -his contributions until 1967 can be mind bogling. But ever since early 1968, his contributions are virtually zero. He just didn't play anything interesting anymore, except for the slide on No Expectations. He just wasn't part of the Stones anymore since very early 1968.

Mathijs

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 18, 2006 02:20

That is different sound to that used on either the official film release or the the original song. Therefore this is f**********king fantastic and well done for finding it

NickB

ps the guitars on the outro (high bits) sound like a Tele and therfore I think it's all live

Date: May 18, 2006 02:29

hey Mathijs, what about all the harmonica and sitar on Beggars....come one and give the guy a break....

JR

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 18, 2006 04:10

I think Brian did a lot more than he was given credit for near the end. Although he certainly ahd declined- R&R Circus is a good example.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Date: May 18, 2006 08:49

>> ps the guitars on the outro (high bits) sound like a Tele and therfore I think it's all live <<

but it isn't. it was taped the day before. hearing a Tele doesn't mean it wasn't pretaped -
Teles can be used on pretaped stuff as well. ahh the wonders of technology! :E

>> If Musician X had played those lead lines, one would think he would play them in concert. <<

this style of reasoning always puzzles me too. my friend's recorded a number where he's playing three guitars, bass and piano,
and singing the bop bops. it is pretty hot, so his band is getting ready to perform it on stage.
obviously they're going to arrange it differently! which doesn't mean anything about who played what in the studio.
nota bene: i am not disparaging Brian, just puzzling over a form of reasoning that appears flawed to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-18 08:52 by with sssoul.

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: May 18, 2006 10:06

wow.never seen it before. does anyone have the audio track?

Date: May 18, 2006 10:22

i have it on a bootleg called Through the Past Starkly.
i'm sorry i don't have the technology to post it here, but maybe someone else does.

Date: May 18, 2006 11:33

stone-relics Wrote:
> hey Mathijs, what about all the harmonica and
> sitar on Beggars....come one and give the guy a
> break....
>
> JR

Compared to Brian's work on Aftermath, BtB and Satanic, his output on Beggars is virtually zero. A tambura (not sitar) on SFM, a slide guitar on No Expectations and harmonica (virtuoso, that is) on one or two tracks, that's it. I am not judging, but just stating a fact. With the decline of Brian, the Stones went back (had to go back?) to a more basic rock version of the blues, and apperently it worked wonders for them, as it is generally accepted that the body of work from '68 until '73 is their best. Brian's decline (accidentally?) went hand in hand with a transition from the more experimental pop-songs in the true '60's vein to the own, unique Stones-sound in '68.

Mathijs

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 18, 2006 11:49

jeff14 Wrote:
> moot: adjective...debatable or hypothetical...it
> would be a debatable point if the band were to
> carry on with brian....

LOL. I know. You didn't watch "Friends" I reckon?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 18, 2006 13:03

Mathiijs is only stating facts, how can someone turn hate on him for that??
The video is most deifnetly no live: way too many guitars, all the BU vox, the percussion.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: May 18, 2006 14:17

I remember having this in my computer a couple months ago until I had to delete it (my pc is small - 7.86 GB!) But I use to come home from work everyday and watch that video clip. Awesome video, awesome song! What makes JJF so exciting is the maracas. Just that extra percussion makes this song powerful.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 18, 2006 14:57

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Mathiijs is only stating facts, how can someone
> turn hate on him for that??
> The video is most deifnetly no live: way too many
> guitars, all the BU vox, the percussion.

Yeah, there's seems to be some upset people here.
If people tried to find errors in all of my posts....it would be many, many posts after each of mine.
Besides, Mathijs posts don't even have any errors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-18 17:12 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: May 18, 2006 17:10

sorry jumpin kent, i wasn't much of a friends fan, save for jennifer aniston...i just think it's funny that as the stones decided to explore the blues/rock aspect more deeper, brian seemed to be distanced out...i know that he was on a downward spiral of drugs, arrests, and just an excessive lifestyle, but wasn't he the one to first be hooked on the blues players and bring this influence to the stones. i just wonder if they had the rehabs they have now, would he have pulled himself together and remained with the band...i only say this because he really looked good in that video...

Date: May 18, 2006 21:13

by the way, there's a real good close-up of what looks like that same Tele
in Keith's fine hands in the 2000 Light Years promo video.
that photo in the other thread is from that shoot, of course, but i'd forgotten about that close-up in the video.
you can see all the pickguard screws in outstandingly clear detail. :E

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 18, 2006 23:59

Brian made minimal contributions after JJF, but what he did add to BB is pretty cool - the tamboura on SFM, the lovely slide on NE (sounds like Keith playing the slide elsewhere), his harmonica, and a strange mellotron bit on Stray Cat, it seems, seemingly a weird choice for the song, evident when the band transitions to the long instrumental coda. He did add a lot to Satanic, the spacey insistent mellotron (best on the still creepy 2000 Light Years), and his Moroccan influences are present on Gomper (which is a highlight for me, musically),on flute, sitar, & percussion...

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: May 19, 2006 00:34

I also think Brian is playing the slide on Jig-Saw Puzzle and maybe the electric (slide?) guitar in Parachute Woman. The slide on Jig-Saw sounds more like Brian than Keith with the plucked bass chords followed by some high note fills on the slide. That's classic Brian! He does the same thing on Little Red Rooster, Grown Up Wrong, Doncha Bother Me, King Bee, Down In The Bottom, etc. The style on Jig-Saw is completely different from what Keith plays on slide in LIB and SF. Keith also plays slide on Salt of the Earth and it doesn't at all resemble the slide on JSP. On the few songs he plays slide, Keith tends to repeat the same licks (ie. Salt of the Earth, You Gotta Move) or go off on strange tangents (Let It Bleed). On JSP, the slide follows Mick's vocal lines, which Brian tended to do on most songs he was featured on slide.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: May 19, 2006 05:18

Mathijs Wrote:
> stone-relics Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > hey Mathijs, what about all the harmonica and
> > sitar on Beggars....come one and give the guy a
> > break....
> >
> > JR
>
> Compared to Brian's work on Aftermath, BtB and
> Satanic, his output on Beggars is virtually zero.
> A tambura (not sitar) on SFM, a slide guitar on No
> Expectations and harmonica (virtuoso, that is) on
> one or two tracks, that's it. I am not judging,

DITTO to MAthijs
> but just stating a fact. With the decline of
> Brian, the Stones went back (had to go back?) to a
> more basic rock version of the blues, and
> apperently it worked wonders for them, as it is
> generally accepted that the body of work from '68
> until '73 is their best. Brian's decline
> (accidentally?) went hand in hand with a
> transition from the more experimental pop-songs in
> the true '60's vein to the own, unique
> Stones-sound in '68.
>
> Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home