Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sad To Say It But Its Over.
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 17, 2006 02:14

I Have been a fan since 1964, seen the band many times, last time in Feb in Puerto Rico, a great show, but from whats happenning now, its my heartfelt believe that the Stones should be no more after Dec 2006. Their last album a commercial flop, Charlie with cancer although in remmision it could come back at any time, The band not selling many tickets on their European tour, not even in the Uk.Keith is hardly playing. We can blame greed for the lack of ticket sales by their prices, we can blame Colth, Chuck for the same lame sets night after night, or whoever, but the sad truth is that is time for them to enjoy all the money that that they have made, and stop becoming a nostalgia act playing Vegas.
l know that a lot of you will disagree and will want the band to continue even with Mick and Keith and hired sidemen, but they are becoming like those boxers that continue in the ring till they are punch drunk in a sorry state.(M.Ali). The Stones legacy in music will never be surpassed by any other band(yes U2 included) we have the music, the videos,and so many memories that it would be impossible to write them all.l will always love the Rolling Stones but now its over.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Sad To Say It But Its Over.
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 17, 2006 02:35

If Charlie quit then they should stop.If not then I don't see why to stop.I am very happy that I can see them on tour for the first time.I always thank god that they didn't give up before I see them.I don't care if ABB was a commercial flop I love it.But they shoulb lower the prices a bit so more casual fans can attend the concerts.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 17, 2006 02:56

I've got a new idea: threads about this topic are over!

Date: April 17, 2006 03:03

ROPENI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
We can blame
> . . . Chuck for the same
> lame sets night after night,

you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: April 17, 2006 03:19

Right On Nikkibong! I'm tired of lame posts too!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2006 03:19

Come on!
I mean they are on top of their game, delivering great performances on this tour. And I have heard the comment a lot about "sidemen" which supposidly started with The Steel Wheels tour. Nonsense. Recall the 75/76 tour, Billy Preston, Ollie Brown, Ian Stewart??? Every tour they have had some "sidemen", even their most basic tour for Somegirls had "Mac" and Ian...Really you would have to go to the early 60's to find just the five Stones playing live.

Anyhow, I have no qualms about their "extended" family on stage with them. To me that is what they like, and makes them feel they can deliver performances that they are happy with. And provide quality to the audiance.

Enjoy the shows and be greatful they still have the passion to go on the road. It's not just about the money. If it was don't you think they could find other ways...product endorsements, repackaging their catalog tons of ways...

Touring is hard work! Leaving home, friends, family for extended time, living out of a suite case, even staying in luxury hotels, it is still not home, believe me! I travel extensively and it isn't all that great! So give them credit with their age and the urge to still connect with their fans.

ENJOY THEM WHILE YOU CAN!

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: April 17, 2006 03:31

i agree with whitem8

these posts about how they are not playing well and should hang it up are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! where you at baltimore 2006 ROPENI? have you actually listened to the recordings of rio 2006 and buenos aires 2006? they sound great!mick has not sounded better in ages!!!!!!!!! perhaps keith and ron are a bit ragged at times but its the stones..its rock'n'roll... its the way i want it..

quit? give me a break..why would they do that?

Date: April 17, 2006 03:36

nikkibong Wrote:
> ROPENI Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> We can blame
> > . . . Chuck for the same
> > lame sets night after night,
>
> you clearly have no idea what you're talking
> about.
Hey Nikki, and obviously you do. Give me a break.

Date: April 17, 2006 03:42

i don't think the set lists are lame! they are not the grateful dead ropeni! there are plenty of jam bands you should check out if your main concern is varied set lists...

if you've been following the stones since 64 you know that for a long time the set lists were exactly the same night after night..look at the 72 tour for chrissakes..same songs every night! now they vary a few and play their monster hits which most people at the shows - who pay the same money you pay- demand to hear..

the set lists are more diverse now than they have been on most stones tours....there are exceptions no doubt..

but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater!

honestly this grumbling bout the stones is becoming really tiresome.... and did you have to start a new thread? could not have posted under the charlie thread?

Date: April 17, 2006 03:46

and the fact that their last album has not done as well in the US (it has done well in many parts of the world) is no reason to quit! my man, by that reasoning they should have quit when Exile on Main Street came out!

Date: April 17, 2006 03:51

ropeni, the more i reread your post the more i conclude its a joke..

you saw them in puerto rico TWO MONTHS ago and it was GREAT but you want to them to quit and the set lists are a joke (including i take it the one in puerto rico at the GREAT show?)

Date: April 17, 2006 03:51

Hey Stoned "Excuse me" that l didn't ask for your permission to start this threat, l felt l had something to say as to my feelings for the band and l did, you don't like it, thats fine its your right, by the way in 72 those songs were relatively new so it didn't matter that they were played night after night..but 30 years later still basically playing the same songs? yes it becomes boring.

Date: April 17, 2006 03:57

oh you don't have to ask my permission but use your brain a little! i'm outta your thread..your points make no sense... i think you're one of those people that likes to start crap

you know if you knew about the stones you'd know that even in 72 they played old songs , a few, and a cover or two and they only played like 15 songs per show as opposed to 21 or more now...

also, what are you saying? that your problem is that you want to hear more bigger bang songs cause you don't like to hear old songs? i guess you don't want to hear sway live? you make no sense dude..

enjoy your thread..its all about you buddy!

Date: April 17, 2006 03:59

and was puerto rico great or boring?

still not getting you dude.

Date: April 17, 2006 04:06

stoned_in_dc Wrote:
> and was puerto rico great or boring?
>
> still not getting you dude.

Ok"DUDE" By your writtings l can see that you are a very smart and savy person, perhaps, there l say it? a Rocket Scientist. You Win.

Date: April 17, 2006 04:12

ROPENI Wrote:
> nikkibong Wrote:
> -----
> > ROPENI Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > We can blame
> > > . . . Chuck for the same
> > > lame sets night after night,
> >
> > you clearly have no idea what you're talking
> > about.
> Hey Nikki, and obviously you do. Give me a break.

As everybody (with the exception of ROPENI) knows, Chuck is the one that's pushing for more adventerous set-lists.

Is that considered a break?

Date: April 17, 2006 04:18

nikkibong Wrote:
> ROPENI Wrote:
> -----
> > nikkibong Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > ROPENI Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > We can blame
> > > > . . . Chuck for the same
> > > > lame sets night after night,
> > >
> > > you clearly have no idea what you're talking
> > > about.

> > Hey Nikki, and obviously you do. Give me a
> break.
>
>
> > "Chuck is the one that's pushing for more
> adventerous set-lists."
>
>
Hey Nikki, by your last statement l must say, What are you smoking?

Date: April 17, 2006 04:20

Parliament Full Flavours, typically.

Anyway, I suggest you read this:
[iorr.org]

Date: April 17, 2006 04:29

ROPENI's mouth isn't so OPEN-I anymore.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 17, 2006 05:01

OK, ROPENI, that's your "heartfelt believe"... Just some observations...

(A) "Their last album a commercial flop"

With respect, if you consider as "a commercial flop" an album that sells 3 million copies worldwide (2.6 for the time being), NOWADAYS, sorry, you must be an ignorant. If that's a reason to guit, then should quit 80-90% of the rock bands of the world and many other famous artists. Look at the global sales. ABB sells much, much better than the last albums of Prince, Placebo, Strokes, Simple Minds, Massive Attack, Flaming Lips. If i remember correctly, better than the last White Stripes album. Similar to Franz Ferdinard and Arctic Monkeys albums. Talking about rock bands, actually only Green Day ("American Idiot"), Coldplay, U2, Nickelback, Killers and a few more outsell the Stones worldwide, these days. Do you think 20 or 25 years ago less rock acts were able to outsell them?

(cool smiley "Keith is hardly playing"

Realy? When? Where? Was this your conclusion from the show in Puerto Rico?? If i remember correctly, no. Is your conclusion coming from the boots? Then my ears and your ears tell different things.

(C) "Charlie with cancer although in remmision it could come back at any time"

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. But we are not doctors. Health and age will probably be the main reason to quit, but not necessarily in 2006.

(D) "The band not selling many tickets on their European tour".

I guess you remember the same discussion about the "poor and slow ticket sales" in the USA. And finally what happend? With a few exeptions the venues were packed. Exactly the same talk...

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: April 17, 2006 06:12

I hear ya, but I've been hearing this since 1975.

Date: April 17, 2006 13:45

nikkibong Wrote:
> ROPENI's mouth isn't so OPEN-I anymore.

Nikki, you were boring me with your know it all attitude so l went to sleep.
Have a nice day

Posted by: ozstoner ()
Date: April 17, 2006 14:25

he has a point, stones tragic's (of which I am one).if melbourne was anything to go by, this band is going through the motions and laughing all the way to the bank. ragged is one thing but the fact is that most stones tribute bands have guitarists who play better than keith and ronnie these days and mick's audience interaction was perfunctory at best

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home