Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

beatles encounters
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: April 13, 2006 02:18

so, wih the stones encounters thread, has anyone met any of the beatles during or after the band? im particularly interested in Lennon.

Re: beatles encounters
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: April 13, 2006 02:27

I've met Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Pete Best as well as a lot of the extended Beatles family including Yoko Ono, Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Heather Mills McCartney, Olivia Harrison and Zak Starkey. Last year I was able to get my first autographs from Paul and Ringo and I had Pete Best sign a bunch for me in 2003.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: April 13, 2006 03:10

I used to see John and Yoko strolling in Central Park in the late 70's.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 13, 2006 03:25

knew ringo (ritchie) and barbara in the late 80's early 90's in l.a.

just what you'd expect; even after repeated meetings; warm, real, a bit moody but not one to make a big deal of it, very witty and funny...open...
very patient with dumbstruck, awestruck fans from all countries of all ages etc...all the time...easy and graceful with everyone...
no inside scoops or anything...stuff i'm sure he's said publically; he was (is?)still going thru missing keith moon and john; 'they're legends to everyone else but they were my friends; they were my friends!' he said in an uguarded moment in a small group of friends once...i don't think he'd mind me repeating that...

at several events & more casual get-togethers over those years, i always found him (and barbara) warm, sweet funny, caring people...even somehow fragile.

going back to the early-mid 90's with these recollections; not in contact these last several years.

we're NOT fast friends, but we were kinda close in our way...easy communicating back and forth; both cancer the crabs mebbe... hate dropping names...not on his xmas card list or anything like that...but for several years going back ten and more years ago, we often ran into each other.

i remember being most impressed by his sensitivity.
and also by a really lightning wit; as fast as john, who i think, despite
his working with George so closely on the 'ringo' songs...
he really connected with emotionally like a brother or something...
sad... was a gift to have them all together...
despite the beats vs. stones threads...and all that intentional PR posturing from both bands...there were very close and respectful friendships there...obviously...
mick says he misses john the most of all his lost friends over the years.
surprised mick would even make a semi-emotinal statement ever about anything.
(outside of lyrix)

now if he starts to miss mick taylor and bill w. like that everything will be alright for another 40 years!! ;-) (so sorry...had to)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 04:44

Incredible events you guys have shared!!!
Man it really flips me out these encounters. Beelyboy, how did you first meet Ringo, partying in LA?

And Halup, how did you meet all those folks as well?

The closest I came was seeing McCartney live in Munich back in '89. I was front row and had tears in my eyes for most of the show. It was amazing.

I would love to meet McCartney and Ringo!!

My father is an attorney and one of his clients lived the floor below Lennon in the Dakota so it was always my dream to meet Lennon, then tragedy struck.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 13, 2006 05:19

i had a dog named Ringo....

Posted by: troubador ()
Date: April 13, 2006 05:22

saw john at a peace rally in NY in central park in 70 or 71. he got up and chanted and sang give peace a chance while yoko looked on...

in chicago in 96, was having dinner at a local restaurant when paul walked out of an adjoining dining room with linda. talked to him briefly as he came down the aisle

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 13, 2006 05:24

saw John Lennon eating dinner with Tupac Shakur in Havana, Cuba last year.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 13, 2006 05:31

Met Macca at the reception for Linda's photos at a small gallery in North Hollywood in 1993, I believe. I spoke w/him briefly, and he signed an auto for me. Very nice of him. But the guy that left the biggest impression on me was Lionel Richie -- I have never seen such a large head on such a small man.

Date: April 13, 2006 05:34

troubador Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> in chicago in 96, was having dinner at a local
> restaurant when paul walked out of an adjoining
> dining room with linda. talked to him briefly as
> he came down the aisle

was it a raw food vegan joint?

Date: April 13, 2006 05:38

nikkibong Wrote:
> saw John Lennon eating dinner with Tupac Shakur in
> Havana, Cuba last year.

I forgot to mention that Elvis was the maitre'd.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 13, 2006 05:41

tat2you Wrote:
> i had a dog named Ringo....

whew lol; bring it back to earth tat2!

did you really? is he still with us?
during what period of the stones was he jus' a lil' pup...
did ringo have beetle encounters?
did he like fleas fleas me...
or wuz he a monkey man kinda doggie.

i know a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name, oh...
does showin' her how to walk the dog mean what i think it means...

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 13, 2006 07:00

I was in Maui, Hawaii (you know where this is going) and got up in the little cabana hotel room only to step on this GIANT BEATLE !!! There was a cracking noise and all this white stuff sprayed all over the place and between my toes......

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 07:03

Beelyboy

Thanks for the insight.

I know Pete Townsend said the line that 'these guys are your legends and heros', but they were my friends'. Refering to Keith Moon, Brian, Lennon and more...

Are Ringo and Barbara still together? hought I heard they divorced.

I played soccer with Rod Stweart back in the 70's! My claim to fame.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: April 13, 2006 07:53

I was in Yamashiro restaurant in LA in the early eighties with a friend. I said, "Gee, I wonder if we'll see any stars in here tonight." Moments later, Ringo walked by our table.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 13, 2006 08:53

So did you guys see any Stars that night?

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: April 13, 2006 10:46

my father was a big fan of Rory Storm & The Hurricanes/ The Raving Texans, and knew Richard Starkey quite well.
Between sets, at Butlins Holiday Camp, Camber Sands, in the summer of 1962,
Mr Starkey came and sat down and told my Dad, he was leaving the band, the following week, and joining up with some old Liverpool friends, in their band...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 13, 2006 12:28

Sam Spade Wrote:
> I used to see John and Yoko strolling in Central
> Park in the late 70's.

Now that's very cool. Any pictures or memories?

Posted by: Satin Shoes ()
Date: April 14, 2006 10:10

In the '90s Ringo and his wife Barbara Bach and I crossed the the same corner on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. It was December and from their shopping bags it looked like they'd been Christmas shopping. They both looked great, casually elegant. I was thrilled to catch a brief snippet of his accent while he talked to her.

Mick Jagger sighting. Around '94 I was at a crowded LA restaurant/nightclub on Beverly Blvd. in L.A. that is no longer in business. A long-haired raven haired woman was leading Mick by the hand through the crowd to the restaurant tables located in the back. This was while he was married to JH. He had that big, boyish smile on his face as he followed behind. He was much slighter than I had figured.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 15, 2006 02:47

Met George Harrison outside a restaurant in the eighties.
It was after Cloud 9 but before the Wilburys.
He was having dinner with Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty.
Got his autograph and had a brief conversation with him.
He was asking ME questions about things.
I do remember that although he was dressed in jeans, shit and a jacket,
they were very expensive jeans, shits and jacket.
Also, despite what the Beatles bios and books say,
he wasn't 5'11". Maybe in 2-inch Beatle boots he was,
but not when I met him. Closer to 5'8". Very thin-boned, too.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 15, 2006 03:23

Beelyboy Wrote:
> tat2you Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i had a dog named Ringo....
>
>
> whew lol; bring it back to earth tat2!
>
> did you really? is he still with us?
> during what period of the stones was he jus' a
> lil' pup...
> did ringo have beetle encounters?
> did he like fleas fleas me...
> or wuz he a monkey man kinda doggie.
>
> i know a farmer had a dog and Bingo was his name,
> oh...
> does showin' her how to walk the dog mean what i
> think it means...

Ringo is gone......she was great had one eye....red nose pit bull...have her ashes in a ern in my room w/ her coller...14 years old...Ringo had it good...we used to dive around in my 83 911-sc cab ..top down she loved it...crranking monkey man on the Blaupaukt(?)...had the cool EQ.. stick ........ 6 speakers ..tweetters in the sun visors...great dog tough as nails...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 15, 2006 23:37

I had a dream with John Lennon in it not too long ago, does that count? no? well, I'll just tell it anyways.

I was on a backpacking trip with some friends and John Lennon was on the trip with us. After stopping, when wed get ready to resume hiking, I kept holding everyone up becasue as I was packing up my stuff, I woulnt be able to find something and It just took me longer than everyone else to get my stuff together. John was getting particulary annoyed with me, but despite that, he decided to stay back and help me find my stuff so I could get going . I remember him pointing to some clothes or something and going "dont forget this" and "are you sure you have everything?". It was kind of a humbling dream.

Posted by: roma_run ()
Date: April 16, 2006 00:55

Around 1974, Westwood (part of Los Angeles), California. I was a child, standing on the balcony of my grandparent's apartment with my father, looking down on little demonstration/impromptu concert happening on the street. Their building overlooked a hilly, narrow street filled with other small apartment buildings and lovely jacaranda trees, a location still very popular with students from nearby UCLA, and at the time, very popular for small rallies and parties in the street.

A guy, no shirt, nice tan, was playing the drums. The police arrived and were just sort of standing around, watching the students playing music, hanging out in the street, I guess the police were there making sure that the students were not making trouble.

The tan guy saw the police, stood up from the drums, and walked casually toward the police. I couldn't hear what he was saying, but he was calm, and talking as he approached the small group of officers. He got closer, very close, so a police officer placed his white-gloved hand on the man's tan bare chest to stop him from advancing further. It wasn't threatening, it was just a 'you've gone far enough, no need to get closer'

My father said, 'Remember this. That's John Lennon'

Posted by: troubador ()
Date: April 16, 2006 03:25

sorry to respond so late, nikkibong, but no, the restaurant wasn't vegan but had a large menu of vegan dishes cooked separately from the rest of the food. and linda was in town then to push a vegan recipe book.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 16, 2006 07:02

tomk Wrote:
> I do remember that although he was dressed in
> jeans, shit and a jacket,

Did he smell bad?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 16, 2006 07:11

Koen Wrote:
> tomk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I do remember that although he was dressed in
> > jeans, shit and a jacket,
>
> Did he smell bad?

f-ing hillarious man!!!!!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: April 16, 2006 08:36

I always look a little green, they always think I was in Auschwitz, saved from the gaschamber at the last moment, but in fact, I met Paul McCartney.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home