Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
mick solo shows
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:06

i found a copy of shes the boss for a dollar at value village the other day, and somehow managed to listen to it all the way through.
out of curiousity, has anyone caught a mick jagger solo show? especially the ones that he did in the 80s.
if a keith bio book i read it said that he was pissed off that mick was touring with a vegas show and choir of girls singing tumbling dice. i was curious what these shows were like, and what/how many stones songs he did.
also, im interested that keith dissed off mick for ruining a stones song in one of his solo shows, yet ive seen a DVD of a solo keith show with some female singer butchering time is on my side (if i recall correctly).

Re: mick solo shows
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:35

Haven't seen Mick solo show but agree 100% that rendition of Time Of my Side by that big Black woman was gut wrenching horrible on Keith Tour DVD

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:39

James Lynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haven't seen Mick solo show but agree 100% that
> rendition of Time Of my Side by that big Black
> woman was gut wrenching horrible on Keith Tour DVD

I think that version is really cool. Of course I wouldn't like if all his solo-concert-songs was in that style, but "Time Is On My Side" suits this approach brilliantly.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:45

That is my favorite version of Time Is On My Side...Sarah Dash turns it out!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 19, 2006 23:23

James Lynn Wrote:
> Haven't seen Mick solo show but agree 100% that
> rendition of Time Of my Side by that big Black
> woman was gut wrenching horrible on Keith Tour DVD

thats how the song was originally meant to be performed.

Great version

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 19, 2006 23:25

I have video from his 88 tour of Japan and it's embarrasingly AWEFUL!! His outfits, hair and that band playing virtually an entire set of Stones songs sounding like a mediocre cover band. Mick got way too self indulgent w/out Kieth and Charlie to reign him in!!! The only thing I really liked was that he did a version of "Foxy Lady" which was pretty cool. As much as I love Mick, watching this makes you cringe (at times even laugh/cry)!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 20, 2006 00:50

Saw the 4 Melbourne shows...band played well but very clean. Had to laugh at Jimmy Ripp who tried his hardest to imitate Keith's guitar style and especially his looks with scarves...open shirts...leather pants coats etc Very much Keith 75 style . Even copied Keith's stance with the bended knees but on one occasion landed flat on his arse during a solo....

Band played long set...up around 30 songs if I remember right... round about 50% Mick solo and a few Stones Stones.......tossed in a couple of strange ones like Foxy Lady... Cant Ya Hear Me Knocking.....Winning Ugly and Wild Colonial Boy because of Ned Kelly connection I guess. Satriani did a solo spot in middle of show and drummer did a drum solo...YES a friggin' drum solo!!!!

Doug Wimbish was on bass and Bernard Fowler was helping out on vocals....Mick was very professional and worked damn hard to please the crowd...even going into the audience on a number of occasions. Shows were very much the fore runner of how the Stones still present themselves on stage today....big screen...back up singers etc.....Melbourne show was filmed for a TV special "Deep Down Under" and Mick released a 7 & 12" of Primitive Cool

Sadly missed the unannounced gig that they played as the Brothers Of Sodom at the Corner Hotel, Richmond Melbourne...by the time I found out it was all over.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: March 20, 2006 03:02

What was the stage like?

Date: March 20, 2006 03:19

Stage.......drummer - keyboards and back up singers were up slightly higher than Mick and guitar players...think it was a sloping ramp type of set up. Pretty sure it was Gimme Shelter that had an extended intro that allowed Mick to suddenly appear on the side of stadium right in front of audience. There was a screen above stage that showed band and graphics...seemed to recall soldiers marching during War Baby...think it was the first time a screen was used by one of the Stones. Saw Jerry Hall wandering around before one of the shows said "Hello Jerry" got smile a and big drawl back of "Aw 'ellooo there".

Jerry was probably keeping an eye on Mick because of the three female back up singers who were mmmmmmm and especially the Hot looking keyboardist Susie Davies who Mick played up to for most of the show....I think she was also in the Video for Party Doll....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 20, 2006 04:22

hey rockman i got the televised gig on DVD if u want it

Date: March 20, 2006 04:26

Thanks Deathgod....I do have the Jointrip DVD.
But hey great news just thru....have scored floor ticket M Keith side Sydney.
Guy had 3 spares I was 4th on list and a dude dropped out....Great Stuff!!!
Where ya sitting for Sydney?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 20, 2006 05:44

secA4-1
Row D

4 seats back Keef side

woot !

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: March 20, 2006 07:23

i saw mick jagger in 1988,(auckland,western springs,new zealand) i enjoyed the show as it was my 1st time id seen someone from the rolling stones perform.
mick was just the same except he wasnt with the stones.it was like being at a stones concert,(but it wasnt).
as far as i remember he did mostly stones songs and few off shes the boss.

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: March 20, 2006 08:01

Anybody got that show with "Winning ugly"?? Maybe we could setup a trade...!
berndzielke9@aol.com

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 20, 2006 14:45

I heard parts of the club gig Mick played solo in NYC( Gazza,what's the name of that venue) from around 1987-88 and it was awesome! It's a theatre in NYC, anyway, it certainly was not a shabby performance by any stretch of the imagination. If I ever figure out the name of this bootleg, I'm going to try hard to get a copy!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 20, 2006 15:01

The clubgig at Webster Hall in 1993 was a lot better than the 88 shows. Great version of Have You Seen Your Mother Baby. Could have been a livekiller this tour!

Date: March 20, 2006 15:04

Webster Hall, Debra

Was actually February 1993. His only show to promote 'Wandering Spirit' and the same week that he appeared on saturday Night Live
Very good show, indeed. He played for an hour, performing new songs and then encoring with 3 Stones songs - Rip this joint, Live with me and (surprisingly) Have You seen your mother baby

Mick has only ever toured the Far East and Australasia as a solo act. His only other solo concerts apart from Webster Hall were a brief set in LA when filming the 'Throwaway' promo in October 1987 (30 mins or so), a similar length show at the El Rey in LA to promote 'Goddess' (november 2001) and 'Live Aid' in Philly in 1985.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-20 15:07 by Gazza.

Date: March 20, 2006 15:11

mandu Wrote:
> i saw mick jagger in 1988,(auckland,western
> springs,new zealand) i enjoyed the show as it was
> my 1st time id seen someone from the rolling
> stones perform.
> mick was just the same except he wasnt with the
> stones.it was like being at a stones concert,(but
> it wasnt).
> as far as i remember he did mostly stones songs
> and few off shes the boss.

here y'go Mandu - final show of the tour, I believe

from The COmplete Works :

Just Another Night/Throwaway/Honky Tonk Women/Miss You/Tumbling
Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can't You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem
Shuffle/Lucky In Love/War Baby/You Can't Always Get What You Want/
Little Red Rooster/Band introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Hard
Woman/Sex Machine/Bitch/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/
It's Only Rock'n Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Satisfaction)

'Sex Machine' ?? THAT's one I must have missed!

He also did a new song at the Aussie shows called 'What Kind of world is this', which is still unreleased.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 20, 2006 15:37

Mick showed up Tina Turner's concert in Osaka and sang Honky Tonk Women together.
A few days later Tina came to Mick's show in return dueting Brown Sugar in Tokyo Dome.
Tsutomu Yamashita also played percussion in Sympathy For The Devil for only a short time.

Date: March 20, 2006 17:26

Just Another Night/Throwaway/Honky Tonk Women/Miss You/Tumbling
Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can't You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem
Shuffle/Lucky In Love/War Baby/You Can't Always Get What You Want/
Little Red Rooster/Band introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Hard
Woman/Sex Machine/Bitch/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/
It's Only Rock'n Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Satisfaction)

its suprising to me that one hit to the body was played, as well as cant you hear me knocking, little red rooster (when so much of the solo stuff is not bluesy at all), and that he ends the show with a 5 in a row warhorse rip.

i could see how these shows would upset the rest of the stones, especially at the fragile time of WW3, with everyone in such a bad mood with everyone else.
it could be a lesson for the stones, lots of new material tossed in there, almost half the tunes are 'new mick jagger' haha.

thanks for posting the setlist

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 20, 2006 21:43

Damn, he sang 25 songs (and with no Keith break) - if only we got that many today!

Date: March 20, 2006 22:34

Thanks Gazza and Tops; I actually just remembered Webster Hall and was returning to post that info but you beat me to it! I heard that 1993 show was a killer, even though not that long, as you said just about one hour. (Must have been a bit longer, unless he played shortened versions of the songs.) I think I'll go to EBAY to by the dvd of that show! Does anyone have a nice copy of the Radio City show yet on DVD? Just wondering, I'd love to relive that night!

Date: March 20, 2006 22:59

while the topic of mick solo stuff is rolling here

what did you folks think when you heard the shes the boss album?
did you like it?
did it make you cringe to be a stones fan?

it blew me away how trendy and pop-manufactured it sounded. but all the songs are also very simple, just a few notes on a synth and a bad back beat (no references here to a simple keith riff and a basic charlie backbeat). but the music on shes the boss sounds soooooo un-mick.

Date: March 21, 2006 02:11

Of all the solo MIck cd's I am less fond of SHE'S THE BOSS than the others! I love Goddess, love Wandering Spirit and thought that alot of Primitive Cool was great! Goddess is a classic, IMO. I play it all the time!

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 21, 2006 04:00

For the record, Mick has only performed solo in the U.S. at the following dates that I am aware of:

1985 - Live Aid
1993 - Webster Hall NYC
2001 - Viper Room Los Angeles

Saturday Night Live in 1993 and 2001.

That's all I know of.

Anyone?

PECMAN

Date: March 21, 2006 04:09

see my post on the previous page, Pec

the 2001 LA show was at the El Rey

he also played the Troubadour in LA in 1987.

None of these shows were full length gigs. The Webster Hall one was around an hour, the others barely 30 minutes

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 21, 2006 04:33

I think thats a very intersting observation, that those shows were the forerunner to the way they present themselves today, but at the same time it sounds soo awful. eeeeeeeek.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 21, 2006 04:59

I'm looking at tour program of Mick's solo tour now. This is awesome! My vintage.

Bill Graham was tour director. Perhaps that was his last business with Stones.

Date: March 21, 2006 08:08

In '88 he also played Lonely At The Top,Say You Will,Primitive Cool,Shoot Off Your Mouth,Let's Spend The Night Together,Sympathy For The Devil & Rip This Joint.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: March 21, 2006 08:17

where can one get solo dvd in great quality,i have a tape(vcr)copy of show in tokyo ,but lame audio half way thru.mike tyson beer commercial is a riot.they overdub his voice with a japanese accent,funny stuff.

john scialfa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home