Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rick Rubin project with the Stones
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:15

[p081.ezboard.com]

here's the post from shidobee

rumor from Uncut's interview

Re: Rick Rubin project with the Stones
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:16

That would be PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:25

a stripped-down Johnny Cash/Neil Diamond back to basics record, is what everyone is crying out for.

....exciting news- hope this materializes

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:28

That is absolutely great! Let's hope it happens. No, let's pray.. or maybe: let's go down on our knees and beg.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:29

Well I've got all the Rubin/Cash cd's and there fab. Just bought the Neil Diamond one and its the best I've heard in a long time. Rubin and the Stones would be magic.... he also mentioned he'd like to work with Dylan.

Posted by: Sune ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:41

It says The Stooges, not The Stones. Could have been fantastic though!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:48

thought it sounded too good to be true.

Rubin, or Jack White at the desk, is what The Stones badly need-
though i suspect their egos wouldn't allow it.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:52

Well, the Stooges is nice too. Is Iggy joining in?

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 10, 2006 12:59

Rick would have made A Bigger Bums one of the best stones efforts ever!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 10, 2006 14:01

Oh My My!!!!! That sounds SOOOOOOOOOO great!!!!!! Now that the contract with Virgin is expiring, maybe they're more willing to make records with more artistic freedom...let's pray it's true!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 10, 2006 14:37

er...no..its the STOOGES. Jesus

If you read Rubin's recollections of working with Jagger, its quite evident that (sadly) the chances of him producing a Stones album are less than zero.

Jagger obviously is very much surrounded by yes-men and didnt take kindly to being told that he could write better lyrics!

Pity. Rick is the one producer capable more than anyone else of making a great Stones record. Despite any problems he had with Mick, he still got his best ever solo album out of it.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 10, 2006 14:37

If my memory serves me well Rick Rubin produced Jagger's 3rd solo album - the blue one, can't remember the title, "Godess at the Doorway" is it? - and word has it they didn't get along very well. RR would be perfect for The Stones and I'm sure they would make a great album but if they don't work well together it's not gonna happen......

Date: March 10, 2006 14:43

'If my memory serves me well Rick Rubin produced Jagger's 3rd solo album - the blue one, can't remember the title, "Godess at the Doorway" is it?'.... are you having a laugh?

Date: March 10, 2006 14:56

Naw, I'm in an "Altered State" at the moment. What did I get wrong? I see GAZZA and I posted basically the same thoughts at the same time. Correct me if I f**ked up... (it's all from memory so I might get titles or whatever wrong)

Date: March 10, 2006 15:04

Ah Ablett, Yeah, Sorry...Just checked Towerrecords.com and the blue one is "Wandering Spirit". "Goddess" is the latest, shows how long it's been since I listened to those, Sorry , my mistake (actually, I like the solo stuff a bit more than most on here - must be the chemicals)

Date: March 10, 2006 15:16

Wandering Spirit absolutely rocks!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:20

I don't think that Rubin and the Stones could pair well.

As a matter of fact Spirit is a good album, with good rockers, but it sounds 100% jagger. If compared to the rest of MJ's solo production I do not note ALL this BIG difference.

AND I do not think that ABB could have been THAT different with RR on board.

Stripped down it is already stripped down.

The quality of the music/words is (or should be) up to the artists. I mean ain't the Kemsey who did Tattoo You the same man who did Steel Wheels?

If Mick and Keith wanted to do prepare the work all by themselves without the rest of the band as they did, I don't think that a hairy producer could make them change idea. Besides, unless he is also a mighty healer, I doubt that he could have had Charlie joining in earlier in the making of the album.

RR is one hell of a producer, but he too loves his drums and bass to be high in the mix, the "compressed" somehow plastic sound of the guitars, and, as a consequence, his works somehow miss the "air" which is a vital element of the stones best works.

But, of course, I could be wrong.

C

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:31

Rubin eh??

Speciality - reviving tired old has beens.

Nice beard though.

Joking aside some of the JC session was awesome, that version of Long Black Veil!!

Oily.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 10, 2006 16:51

First time I heard about Rick Rubin, was 20 years ago (gee, times flies...!!) and he produced an american Heavy metal band called Slayer with their, considered classic album in the genre, "Reign in Blood".

Then, in 1987 he produced The Cult "Electric".

2 albuns that are maybe the best of each band.

He is a great producer indeed!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 10, 2006 17:00

very good news indeed!

Date: March 10, 2006 17:15

<2 albuns that are maybe the best of each band.>

...and Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magic.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:13

Rick Rubin is the X-factor the Stones would need to truly produce a great new Stones record.

This is very good news.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:19

He's producing for the STOOGES, not for the Stones!!!
The chances are less than zero IMO, Jagger is the problem...

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:28

Hey, why not? This comes from Rubin himself. What does Rubin have to gain by saying he might be working with the Stones?

There might be something to this.

A new Stones record in 2007?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 10, 2006 20:54

>>>This comes from Rubin himself

He never mentioned the Stones, he said THE STOOGES. It was a mistake from the original post in Shidoobee.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 10, 2006 22:42

Does anybody have any links to articles where Rubin or Jagger talk about the making of Wandering Spirit? I've always heard secondhand that they didn't get along, but I'd love to read more about it because I think WS is such a great record.

Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: March 10, 2006 23:06

would love to hear a collaboraton between Rubin & the Stones ... please keep eyes & ears open for any updates or news.....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 10, 2006 23:14

swsfo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> please keep eyes & ears open for any updates or news.....

Did you read the previous entries? There is nothing to update because there is no planned collaboration.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 10, 2006 23:37

Totally agree w/ liddas here. WS is a fine Jagger album, but ABB is 'stripped down' compared to B2B - in terms of the Stones playing w/out extra musicians aside from Darryl and, occasionally, Chuck (the fewest extras since Some Girls)...IF it were an analog recording, IF all four Stones were involved from the start of a project - which Mick indicated he did not want this time around...ABB is still a very strong album, and I don't see how RR or anybody else could have influenced it in a significantly different direction. Just keep Matt Clifford out of the studio...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-11 17:37 by john r.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: March 10, 2006 23:57

Well, Rick's sound has a lot to do w/ tones. He gets a warm, intimate organic sound. ABB is stripped down but I think the drums (mainly the snare) are way to clangy, almost abrasive. Charlie's playing is great, it's just the EQ or miking or whatever that I don't like. It's things like that that Rick would get differently.

On the other hand, I prefer the production of the last AC/DC album (by the Young's uncle) to the previous album, Ballbreaker, which was by Rick Rubin. He buried their trademark backing vocals. However, Ballbreaker was the best sounding album they had since the early '80s songwriting aside.

So, are The Stones doomed to mediocrity for the remainder of their recording career?

I'm gonna quit here before I get into anymore howevers or on the other hands...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home