Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Did the Stones turn you on to drugs?
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: March 9, 2006 01:28

i started smoking weed at 15, and i liked it. then i tried shrooms, and i still do those once and a while. it was all my decision though.

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: March 9, 2006 01:35

If smoking counts, yes. Of course Keith was the big influence, I wanted to be a cool self-killer rockstar when I was 15. Now, 11 years later I'm still smoking. Shit.

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: March 9, 2006 02:39

Cindy I can't believe you did that! From your picture in the thread a few you weeks ago you looked like a Girl Scout Troop Leader, even in the one where Keith was eyeballing your "drink"

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 9, 2006 03:05

not really....but i do find the stories of kieth crashing his car over and over very funny!!!!!!!!!!!
i only wish the weed was the same price as when i started listing to the stones!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 9, 2006 04:45

MickGibsonSG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Cindy I can't believe you did that! From your picture in the thread a few you weeks ago you looked like a Girl Scout Troop Leader, even in the one where Keith was eyeballing your "drink".

A Girl Scout Leader? I'm not sure if you're saying I look innocent, or like a dork.
I guess it's better to look innocent and surprise people than the opposite.

I never did any really hard drugs tho, did I give that impression? I didn't mean to. Coke would probably be the worst of it and even that was a long time ago. I was a pretty big pothead back in the day, I could keep up with my boyfriend and all his guy friends. That was a lot of fun, I miss those days.

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: March 9, 2006 05:31

Innocent looking, Cindy, nice girl next door, but definitely not dorkly, hardly any girls can look like that anyway, guys seem to have the corner on that market. I miss the part of "those days" where you could go see groups like Jeff Beck Group with Ronnie Wood & Rod Stewart, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, and Led Zeppelin, for $3.50 or $4.00 a show, but I don't miss all the weird drugs being around.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 9, 2006 07:30

A memorable description of Sticky Fingers said that on that album the Stones "rattled their drugs like maraccas."

I think there's a drug reference in about 3/4 of the songs on that one.

Another quote from the time said, "It reads like a Crumb comic...but burns like an addict's cooker!"

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 9, 2006 07:34

I would say that in an iderect way they did. I'd be lying if I said that they didn't make it seem actracive to me. However, I dont consider myself a "follower" in general. It was my deciscision.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 9, 2006 07:38

inderect? Yeah. But if you read about thier stories, a lot of them are cautionary tales. You see the bad side of it too.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 9, 2006 08:48

Not at all. But Bush / Cheney turned me on to drugs BIG TIME. I have to take a hand full of Valium or Xanax after every speech these days. Then I sit there and repeat "Someday this to shall pass" like a nut job till the drugs kick in....Let's Drink to the wavering millions / who need Leaders but get Gamblers instead.....

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 9, 2006 09:28

ryanpow Wrote:
inderect? Yeah. But if you read about thier stories, a lot of them are cautionary tales. You see the bad side of it too.

Really good point. I think having read some of the stories before I dived in - so to speak - prevented me from trying any of the really bad stuff. Reading so much about it made me want to try it, just to see what it was like, so I could maybe understand them better, but when it came down to it, I (wisely) chickened out.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 9, 2006 11:44

I smoked a joint last night..and felt asleep..woke up 3.30 in the night..labtop still on(happens everytime!).But anyway no it was not the Stones...It was my little friends..that turned me on..Inloved the Stones when I was 12..and we heard they were on drugs..but we coulnt understand the lyrics(maybe only the dirty words) Do you remember that song '''Blame it on the Stones'''well I dont cause my friends did the job-also Holland 1978-79 was an drugs heaven so to say...so it was easy for us kids!!

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 9, 2006 12:35

Stones ABB tour made me start working out again last summer so I wouldn't have a freaking heart attack during one of the shows now that I am deeply into the middle ages. Yes, Mick influenced me to to try for his 6 pack abs and energy level.

The truly funny thing was when I went for my annual physical my doc asked what my sudden motivation was and just laughed out load when I told him. Who says the Stones are a bad influece!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2006 12:44

No....Stones have never done me any harm.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 9, 2006 12:54

You wouldn't be able to listen to "Satanic Majesties" without doing any dope. Under the influence of grass/hemp you can really hear and see the structure of songs such as "See What Happens", "Gomper" or "The Lantern". here are also songs on Sticky Fingers which become much clearer after youve smoked some weed.

But I wouldn't say that the Stones have that influence to turn people to drugs.

Date: March 9, 2006 12:57

Rockman Wrote:
> No....Stones have never done me any harm.
>
> ROCKMAN

They done me good!!When I feel down..they lift me up!!!Rock...pffff have to work..again till 10...if one uses to much one cannot buy tickets...I go see them 2x !!!So exited about it...I am always on Keiths side of the stage...this time its gonna be Ronnie s side(talk about drugs!!).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2006 13:03

Hey that's good news rooster......2 shows....yeah keep a clear mind man ya wanna take it all in....then wreck ya head thinkin' ya may never see 'em again. It's always a weird sad as those final notes fade and the house lights come up.

ROCKMAN

Date: March 9, 2006 13:24

Yeah,Rock a Stones show always seems like a dream to me...after a gig..the comming down to earth is the hardest thing!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:14

The current setlist is turning me to drink.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:26

It's that good?!

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:29

I actually tried acid about the time Tatto You came out, my sister & I stole a statue of 'the mother mary' from some tiny little rural church in western Minnesota somewhere. . . . .good god, when we came to our senses days later, we returned it.

That album cover of the funky hoof still makes me queezy. . . . . .

Ah, the good old drug days (or should I say 'daze')

IT'S JUST THAT DEMON LIFE THAT GOT ME IN IT'S SWAY. . . . . .right on.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 10, 2006 01:44

Mr Wibble Wrote:
> It's that good?!

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know. I fall asleep after three songs.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:20

theboys Wrote:
> I actually tried acid about the time Tatto You
> came out, my sister & I stole a statue of 'the
> mother mary' from some tiny little rural church in
> western Minnesota somewhere. . . . .good god, when
> we came to our senses days later, we returned it.
>
> That album cover of the funky hoof still makes me
> queezy. . . . . .
>
> Ah, the good old drug days (or should I say
> 'daze')
>
>
> IT'S JUST THAT DEMON LIFE THAT GOT ME IN IT'S
> SWAY. . . . . .right on.

Hey theboys,
I'm glad you returned the statue. Good for the karma. The first time I ever saw laser lights was at a 1975 Who concert while high on the 'cid. It was like a religious experience for me. Great times.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:27

Funny, back in the early eighties the book of Tony Sanchez made me experiment indeed.
I attended my first Stonesshow in Rotterdam '82 in a quit stoned way...

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:51

Not yet!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:53

Reptile Wrote:
> Not yet!

Good...keep it that way, please. You've got quite a brain on those 14 year old shoulders. Keep it sharp, my friend. Seriously.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 10, 2006 15:57

Yeah, stay away from those brain damagin' spliffs
them stupid Amsterdamers hand out like candy!
Drink Amstel after you´ve turned 17 or slt.
Then go over to Belgian trapistenbier from 18 grinning smiley...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 10, 2006 16:23

Btw answer is "no". They didnt it.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 10, 2006 16:38

CindyC Wrote:
> WAY back when I was just a little teenybopper
> listening to Shaun Cassidy, the thought of drugs
> scared the crap out of me. A few years later I
> started listening to the boys and read Spanish
> Tony's book. I have to say, it did make me
> curious and prompted me to experiment with
> recreational pharmaceuticals.
>
> Did anyone else start similarly, or were you all a
> bunch of burn-outs already?

Ditto to everything you say here! But replace Shaun Cassidy with Andy Gibb. We were kids in the 70s...

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 10, 2006 17:32

The Stones were definitely a factor in turning me onto grass and hash when I was 14 (for which I am still grateful). I think I would have got into it soon after that anyway as I just had the mindset that was fascinated/obsessed by heightened reality and altered states.

However the Stones also functioned as a "cautionary" factor for me in terms of smack. The Keith stories & the sheer look of him in the mid 70's scared me right off it & I've never gone near it (apart from a couple of acciudents but that's another story).

Acid was the holy grail for me and it did in some ways screw me up badly (& in others was the making of me) so I did feel kind of betrayed by the whole hippie movement & rock music generally for glamourising it so much & not really indicating how extreme it's effects could be. I don't think the Stones could be singled out particularly for this but I have to say 'Satanic Majesties' was beckoning me to drop a tab and listen to it 2 years before I succumbed. When I finally did it completely blew me away, exceeding expectations. This was before most of the anxiety, delusions & paranoia kicked in!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home