Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T -New Springsteen Album and Tour
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 6, 2006 12:43

NME.COM:-

Bruce Springsteen has announced that he will release a brand new album on April 24.

'We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions' is the singer's 21st LP, and features his personal interpretations of 13 traditional songs associated with folk legend Pete Seeger.

Speaking about the origins of the music, Springsteen said: "So much of my writing, particularly when I write acoustically, comes straight out of the folk tradition. Making this album was creatively liberating because I have a love of all those different roots sounds... they can conjure up a world with just a few notes and a few words."

The album will also include a DVD which contains extensive behind the scenes footage of the recording of the album. In addition, the package will contain two bonus tracks and a special booklet including a note from Springsteen.

Accompanying the release of 'We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions', Springsteen is set to embark on a short tour of the US and Europe, with details to be announced shortly.

The album tracklisting runs:

'Old Dan Tucker'
'Jessie James'
'Mrs McGrath'
'Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep'
'John Henry'
'Erie Canal'
'Jacob's Ladder'
'My Oklahoma Home'
'Eyes On The Prize'
'Shenandoah'
'Pay Me My Money Down'
'We Shall Overcome'
'Froggie Went A-Courtin'
'Buffalo Gals'
'How Can I Keep From Singing'

Re: O.T -New Springsteen Album and Tour
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 6, 2006 13:35

That's odd! With Pete Seeger?
Wonder how it will work?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: March 6, 2006 13:44

Great news indeed. A new cd and a TOUR. That's totally awesome.
I saw a Springsteen show last year and I can't wait to see him again.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 6, 2006 14:18

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's odd! With Pete Seeger?
> Wonder how it will work?

no..not WITH Pete Seeger. Songs written or inspired by him.

Date: March 6, 2006 15:24

Oh, thanks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2006 16:15

This will be soooooo boring! Start back rockin' with the E-Streeters.

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: March 6, 2006 18:34

I'd rather pick up the latest live at Hammersith Odeon 1975 show. This just came out as well and should be the cat's pajamas.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 6, 2006 18:40

It's nice that he's putting out a new album, but I'd rather have some electric rock 'n' roll rather than Froggy Went A-Courtin'. This project sounds odd, to say the least.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 6, 2006 18:45

loved Dylan's version of "Froggie" from his '92 album, Good as I Been to You....

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: March 7, 2006 20:04

I find it very frustrating that he always follows up a great song or cd (i.e The Rising) with such inane, self-indulgent drivel as this new project. Talk about erratic!

Posted by: The human riff ()
Date: March 7, 2006 20:10

Springsteen after 87 is good to great. A new accoustic record like this will be ok I guess. But to expect something with quality that his work had from 73 to 87 is too much I think.

Reporter: What do you think about people thinking of you as boss of New Jersey
James Gandolfini(Tony Sopprano): There is only one boss in New Jersey and that is BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!

Date: March 7, 2006 20:13

BBBBRRRRUUUUUUUCCCEEE!

Thanks, glad you liked "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" and "Rosalita". Here's a new one, "Froggie Went A-Courtin'". 1,2,3,4 ......

Date: March 7, 2006 20:16

Duane in Houston Wrote:
> I find it very frustrating that he always follows
> up a great song or cd (i.e The Rising) with such
> inane, self-indulgent drivel as this new project.
> Talk about erratic!

Actually Devils & Dust was the follow up to The Rising.

Date: March 7, 2006 22:26

Born To Croak?
Blinded By The Buffaloes?
Old Dan Tucker and The Magic Rat?

Bruce, get out of the mansion more, my friend, you're losing touch with reality.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 7, 2006 23:08

Sorry to say this, but...
Actually, I am NOT sorry...
This could not look any more boring to me.
Bruce singing folk and strumming acoustic. Yuk.
Either rock, or go home to your rocking chair on the porch. That way, only your neighbors and your dog have to hear this crap.

In my humble opinion, of course.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: March 7, 2006 23:33

was any1 here @ the show Con. Airlines Arena in New Jersey 1 or 2 years ago when during his acoustic set the crowd was talkin & he told them 2 " Shut The F%#K Up "

Date: March 8, 2006 00:43

Duane in Houston Wrote:
> I find it very frustrating that he always follows
> up a great song or cd (i.e The Rising) with such
> inane, self-indulgent drivel as this new project.
> Talk about erratic!

if he 'always' does it, then surely thats being 'consistent', not 'erratic'

Aside from the previously mentioned fact that this ISNT the 'follow up' to 'The Rising', when was the last time he did what you've implied he 'always' does?

Date: March 8, 2006 00:54

Probably
The River -> Nebraska
Human Touch/Lucky Town -> The Ghost of Tom Joad
, if I may answer for him.
But these 2 acoustic albums are brilliant.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: March 8, 2006 01:17

This album is just a short project for Bruce. It's not meant to be his next statement or anything. It was quickly recorded (reportedly almost entirely in January) at the same time he started to record songs he wrote while on tour in 2005 and it seems this album is just a short detour from those new songs and an E Street Band album and tour.

The tour for this album is reportedly going to last only 8-10 weeks, meaning it should be ending by the middle of the year, allowing Bruce to go right back to work on his newly written songs and with the pace he has been working at in the studio since 2002, it shoud be ready by next year.

My own belief is that he wanted to do this as a tribute to Pete Seeger while Seeger is still alive. He is 87 years old, so I think Bruce wants to give him a nice salute and thank you while Seeger can appreciate it.

Folk music is closely connected to protest music, so Bruce may feel that in the current climate in the US, the time is right for some folk/protest music to come out under his high profile.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 8, 2006 01:41

The DVD from the Rising Tour with the E Street Band is an awesome performance, and is now available in its complete form as a two-DVD set. "Live in Barcelona" is one of my favorites.

The events from 2001 were still fresh in everyone's minds, so this show has an emotional intensity that would be too much if it had been a US show. The Barcelona audience just poured out their love and enthusiasm, so this keeps the atmosphere from getting too heavy.

Date: March 8, 2006 01:48

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Probably
> The River -> Nebraska
> Human Touch/Lucky Town -> The Ghost of Tom
> Joad
> , if I may answer for him.
> But these 2 acoustic albums are brilliant.

Indeed. My point exactly.

so basically what hes saying is

electric albums = good
acoustic albums = bad

which says more about the listener's taste in music than the music itself.

Not the same as 'self indulgent' ("Tunnel of Love" and "Lucky Town" could be accused of that as theyre very introspective, although both - especially TOL - are very good. Theres nothing 'self indulgent' about Nebraska or GOTJ). Springsteen was actually SIGNED by CBS as a folk/solo artist anyway, which everyone seems to forget

Plus, the two examples youre referring to occurred in 1982 and 1995. Hardly something he 'always' does, which is what I'm getting at.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 8, 2006 02:08

Most of Bruce's solo stuff never did much for me, with the exception of the haunting "Streets of Philadelphia", which is just beautiful.

However, I am really partial to his work with the E Street Band. They are the best modern era American rock n roll band that ever was, IMHO, especially in the live setting. Hope they get together for a "last hurrah".

Date: March 8, 2006 02:11

they should be sooner rather than later..hopefully not for a 'last one' although rumours are it could be just that

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 8, 2006 07:55

T&A Wrote:
> loved Dylan's version of "Froggie" from his '92
> album, Good as I Been to You....

The Elvis version is pretty good too, you know.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 8, 2006 20:19

I love Bruce's acoustic albums.Today I have listened to Devils and Dust once again and I have to say that it has grown a lot on me since I gave it a first listen.On first listen I thought that it was a very good effort but now I almost consider it a masterpiece.

Bruce has only two weak albums Human touch and Tunnel of Love.Born in the USA and Lucky Town are ok and everything else is just brilliant.

Date: March 8, 2006 20:23

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Wake me up when Clarence gets here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-08 20:24 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: March 8, 2006 20:47

I actually didn't care that much for "Nebraska" when I got it. It was the last Springsteen album, for me to buy. But then I listened to it at night time, while driving a big, old, car (Datsun Laurell) to Bergen (a long trip south). Suddenly, I started loving it. It's really good. I never got the hang of "Devil's & Dust" though.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 8, 2006 21:44

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> I actually didn't care that much for "Nebraska"
> when I got it. It was the last Springsteen album,
> for me to buy. But then I listened to it at night
> time, while driving a big, old, car (Datsun
> Laurell) to Bergen (a long trip south). Suddenly,
> I started loving it. It's really good. I never got
> the hang of "Devil's & Dust" though.

Nebraska is as great as Born to Run and Darkness on the edge of town.It's definitely a masterpiece but as such it is also not an easy listen,very gloomy,depressive album.There's no filler on it,it's brilliant from start to finish.I've been listening to it very often recently,especially at night.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 8, 2006 23:14

Nikolai Wrote:
> T&A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > loved Dylan's version of "Froggie" from his
> '92
> > album, Good as I Been to You....
>
>
> The Elvis version is pretty good too, you know.

Yeah, but none of them beat the version me and my classmates did in music class when I was in the second grade. I guess that's why I think of it as a children's song and not fitting for a serious adult recording.

I'm a big Springsteen fan and Nebraska is one of my favorites. I never got into Tom Joad or Devils and Dust, tho, despite repeated tries. I hope this one turns out different, but it doesn't sound very promising so far.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 9, 2006 01:01

This is why I love Bruce Springsteen. The guy just does what he wants. I can understand if you don't like his folksy stuff, but 'self-indulgent' is just the wrong adjective. If he was truly self-indulgent, he'd be milking the hits for cash and cranking out tired rock albums and tours every other year and jacking up the price and the hype (I better stop before I get too close to home here)... but no, instead of continuing to promote Devils and Dust, which only came out recently, or the '75 live album, which came out last week, he's about to give his fans something new, and a tour to boot. I think the track listing for this upcoming cd is brilliant. I can't wait! And for the Clarence fans, do not fear! He'll be back, no doubt! Bruce is like Neil Young... he'll wanna rock again next time around.

Bruce does what he pleases, and I guarantee 99% of his fans will dig it.

BTW, the latest release (London '75) is unbelievably good. Nobody makes rock and roll like that anymore.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1651
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home