Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mexico Setlists - WTF?
Posted by: adamdean ()
Date: March 2, 2006 21:22

This adds further fuel to my previously posted theory that the band lives in a very comfortable cocoon and don't expect ANY surprises or major set-list changes. It is what it is so either enjoy it, or (as stated above) stay home and watch TV!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 2, 2006 21:23

Never mind us been bored. How about the band. Why does keith do the same numbers night after night.

Makes me wish for Slipping away /Infamy.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 2, 2006 21:45

Be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 2, 2006 23:08

Again I point out that if you want to complainabout static set lists, than you can laud indicidual shows, but you cannot really scream praise for the 78 or some earlier tours. Those tours varied less in the whole tour than ABB has varied in the last 2 weeks.

LOL and I love this "there apparently are no published rules for how many victory laps a band can take."

You are right, I mean how many Farewell Tours have the Who done?

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 2, 2006 23:31

......"Again I point out that if you want to complain about static set lists, than you can laud indicidual shows, but you cannot really scream praise for the 78 or some earlier tours. Those tours varied less in the whole tour than ABB has varied in the last 2 weeks."

Yes, but in 1978 the warhorses weren't 30 years old and played hundreds of times already.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 2, 2006 23:54

And they busted out most of their new album which they have NOT even come remotely close to doing this tour.

Date: March 3, 2006 00:27

I was at both shows and probably a change would be nice but the shows were great, it was nice to see how Monterrey lost their stones-virginity and the audience was nice with the opening act in Monterrey (Alejandra Guzmán) but really nasty with the one in Mexico City (Fobia)

Same set but fantastic performance!

And yes the fact that Gimme Shelter and Midnight Rambler together is pure magic!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 3, 2006 00:38

I don't mind them playing the same songs, but when they say the same comments like "It's Good to be here, it's good to be anywhere" tour after tour, oh my! To Kieth's credit, he actually DIDN"T say that in STL but picked up again soon after. Actually, I guess I'm being hypocritical as I've said virtually the same thing to my clients and patients year after year. "Here Kitty Kitty" haHA!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 3, 2006 00:46

Have to repost this.

o Well now we're respected in society
o We’ve got doctors and lawyers in the front-row seats
o We've got Ameriquest and the Super Bowl
o We play our 40 Licks, then we head on home
o Uh yes!
o
o Well you're no pillar of society
o And you worry about the band that we used to be
o You're a hard-core fan, you're checking RS.COM
o You want obscure shit from before you were born
o If you don’t like the set, don't come back
o If you don’t like the set, don't come BACK!
o
o It’s so predictable
o It’s so predictable
o It’s all foreseeable
o It’s so predictable
o If you don’t like the hits
o Don’t buy the tix
o Don't come back

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: March 3, 2006 01:03

heheh great lyrics but MICK wouldn't sing it because RESPECTABLE ( PREDICTABLE ) is not on the set list this tour hehehehehehe

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 3, 2006 01:05

moved to another thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-03 01:06 by nikkibong.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: March 3, 2006 01:09

bv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see desk people being bored from reading set
> lists at home. The show was on fire in Monterrey
> and Keith was absolutely great for all 20 songs.
> They had a technical problem that delayed the show
> into one of the latest start times ever but the
> crowd was fantastic and all band members were in
> top form.
>
> Bjornulf

You also have to keep in mind that the Mexican market really likes "kick-ass rock and roll"... i.e. "basic warhorses"...

That's why Creedence is so popular with Mexicans.... every Creedence gig I've ever been to there's been Mexicans there...

I remember one lady at the House of Blues... CCRevisited was playing, I was dancing, and this Mexican gal tugs on my sleeve and says "... they kick butt..."

I'd be surprised if it was any different for the Stones.... the warhorses should go over real well in Mexico.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Date: March 3, 2006 01:26

BV if you run a site for annoraks you cant be surprised when they turn up! I agree with you. If i had been to both mexico gigs i would have thanked my lucky stars and enjoyed them without winging about setlists - full stop

Date: March 3, 2006 02:35

It seems that some people have higher expectations than others.

Date: March 3, 2006 02:39

Steven Wrote:
> Absolutely correct. If you don't like the setlist
> simply stay home and watch TV. The same boring
> people post the same boring stuff day after day.
>
> Whining isn't going to change it. Why anyone
> thinks their whining is of interest to others is
> beyond me.

What do you call this?Nobody should criticise the set list but,you can whine about it when they do?

Date: March 3, 2006 02:42

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> Rank, no, its called being bored with a band that
> has hundred of greats songs but will only play the
> same 20 or 30 every tour.
>
> Being happy with them playing the same songs all
> the time means you are easily satisfied or don't
> wish to see your favorite band take a few chances
> or be proud of some news songs they wrote.

How can you argue with this post?Not 100% accurate but,we should all be able to see where he's coming from.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 3, 2006 03:12

Why don't you ask the 90,000 people who went to one of the two shows before you start complaining? The Stones do not make set lists for you to read on your computer screen or to listen to on a bootleg. They do them to make the fans at the shows happy. And if you happen to have any clue at all about Mexico and geography you would understand that almost nobody went to both shows, except for a few hard core fans. And if a hard core fan can't take that set list then I think it is time to call a doctor or to have a rest.

PS. To people who attack me in person anonymously - when i just do a brief report - sorry but this is proof that envy is stronger than the power of sex.

Bjornulf

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 3, 2006 03:25

?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 3, 2006 03:29

BV, I so wish that I could have attended BOTH Mexico shows and seen the same list. Actually in 89, I saw them 4 weeks apart in both KC and STL and they had the same list and amazingly enough, I wasn't pissed off! Liston to all the 81 (and ANY other tour boots), the songs are almost always the same!

Date: March 3, 2006 03:32

Yes,we are all well aware of what was played in '81.You seem to be missing the point.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 3, 2006 05:16

If a show is great and they repeat it then it will be just as great next time as well.

Bjornulf

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 3, 2006 07:17

That's Paul McCartney's theory when it comes to concerts, that's for sure.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 3, 2006 08:20

98% of the people that go to stones concerts are not stones "fans". They are people who "know" the stones, who don't know that Rain fall down is a new song, and only want to hear more or less what they are playing now. They are the same people who go crazy for U2, Mecca, Robbie Williams and maybe also for Bon Jovi. For us "fans" it's a pitty they don't do smaller shows for fans only.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: March 3, 2006 08:32

I think the Europe set lists will be much different from what has been played thus far...however, I don't know if they will vary it much from show to show.

I still loved the "Licks" (I think...or was it BTcool smiley approach?...highlighting an "album" and playing 4 or 5 songs from it.

I remember back in '78...the Stones got ripped for playing about 8 or 9 songs from Some Girls...you can't please everyone.

Just keep playing !!!!

Posted by: Hansel ()
Date: March 3, 2006 11:27

Oh no!Not one album track (that aint new) or secondary greastest hit.Perhaps I'm better off missing out on Melbourne.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 3, 2006 18:50

Theif in the Night Wrote:
> J-J-Flash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Rank, no, its called being bored with a band
> that
> > has hundred of greats songs but will only
> play the
> > same 20 or 30 every tour.
> >
> > Being happy with them playing the same songs
> all
> > the time means you are easily satisfied or
> don't
> > wish to see your favorite band take a few
> chances
> > or be proud of some news songs they wrote.
>
> How can you argue with this post?Not 100% accurate
> but,we should all be able to see where he's coming
> from.
>

I don't understand how any Stones can argue with this either. Don't you guys want to hear your band play more of their great songs. They ignore about 75 percent of the singles they have released over the years, pretty much ignore their entire pre-1968 catelog with the exception of one or two songs. Then they hardly play anything from 80s or 90s except Start Me Up and You Got me Rocking. Sucks to me.

Date: March 3, 2006 21:22

I went to the last four shows and enjoyed them as the best shows of my life. I have seen the Stones several times in the USA (New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Hartford) but in Latin America is not just a show, it's a big party with all the people dancing and singing. Trust me to watch the stones in Latin America is a different experience and the setlist was for that. I agree 100% with BV in this, they do the sets for the specific audience and all those sets were great, they do not make a set foe those reading sets in the computer. Grateful Dead or Bob Dylan use(d) to make completly different sets because of the deadheads or hard-core fans attending all shows in the same city, but the stones need to give satisfaction to people of all age and tastes, to the newbie and to the hard-core. They made of the last four shows the greatest!

In the first show in Argentina "The Night Time is the Right Time" was not as hot as Gimme Shelter since then they have played Gimme Shelter instead and always welcome. Same for Worried ABout you, etc so they decided to play a more "traditional" set.

And yes, there are a lot of hard-core fans in Latin America and I'm one and I really enjoyed the 4 shows regardless of the sets... it's the heat, the party, the experience.... can you feel the fire Ronnie?

Date: March 3, 2006 21:25

bv Wrote:
> that almost nobody went to both shows,
> except for a few hard core fans. And if a hard
> core fan can't take that set list then I think it
> is time to call a doctor or to have a rest.

LOL yes, you're right

BTW, it was nice to see so many stones teeshirts on teh airport Wednesday and Thursday. Many of us watched both shows but probably less than 1% of the total audience

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 3, 2006 21:27

I hope they also play the exact same setlist in Las Vegas. Then I can use that setlist to help sell my potential extra Forum ticket.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 3, 2006 21:30

It's unbelievable to me that some people are so easily satisfied. The Stones could fart their way through 2 hours and some people would find a way to defend that too.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1597
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home