Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How was the Leeds 82 show?
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:12

I know it was a huge crowd!Some of you been there?Once I heard some of it on a boot..Like to know a little more about this gig!!so go ahead.

Re: How was the Leeds 82 show?
Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:41

I was there, sat on the side of a hill looking down on the stage (natural ampitheatre). Great show, 'Time is on my side' was memorable for some reason. They also played Chantilly Lace (bizarre). It seemed to take a while (at least where I was) for the crowd to get going. I think they started playing in daylight.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:47

The Leeds Roundhay Park show fell on the eve of Mick's 39th birthday, and compared to their shows at Newcastle and Wembley in the same year, was a somewhat sloppy and lifeless performance all round.

The scorching heat may have affected everybody that day, including the crowd, but being the last gig of the entire tour, I'd have expected them to have gone out with a bang as opposed to a whimper. Keith and Ronnie in particular, looked very much like they had already begun the end-of-tour celebrations, being out of tune for most of the proceedings, and looking for the most, like they didn't want to be there. They even messed up their entry on to the stage during the opening chords of Under My Thumb.

I vowed it would be my last ever Stones show, until they knocked me sideways at Manchester in 1990.

Date: March 1, 2006 22:48

Chantilly Lace was such a nice choice!!!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 1, 2006 23:47

There must be a mistake here. Chantilly Lace was not played. They didn't play it after June 30th in Frankfurt.

Date: March 1, 2006 23:56

You is ''right ''about this Snow!!!Joe Jackson was opening?

Date: March 1, 2006 23:58

Sorry - you're right - they played Chantilly Lace in London not Leeds. Strange choice of song - not really their forte.

Date: March 2, 2006 00:08

By most people, this isn't considered such a great show, Newcastle & London is better. I just read that according to Bill Wyman, Turin was the worst, and the 2nd Rotterdam was among the best.

Here's the first Frankfurt show, Keith move faster, than the camera can handle
(Click for full size)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-01 16:10 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 2, 2006 00:20

Saw all three Holland shows..indeed the second show (Friday)I will never forget!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-01 20:23 by rooster.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 2, 2006 01:03

I was at Wembley and Leeds and although I enjoyed both I have to say Wembley had a wilder crowd (although I was down the front).
They did completely @#$%& up SSC,but I never saw the mythical punch up ! IT NEVER HAPPENED !

Leeds had a more laid back feel .A long hot day that felt more like a Festival

George Thorogood
Joe Jackson
Joan Jett - I think
G.Jeils Band
Stones

I was on the hill,to the right of stage. I remember Keith having bottles wrapped in brown paper all over the place.
I think Time is on my side was memorable for the feedback on Keith's mike. He kept looking angrily at the crew.

I believe that there were 80,000 tickets,but some 20,000 gate crashed as the fences came down in a couple of spots,but I'm not sure if that was hype or not.

A great day . I wasn't quite 17 . where have the years gone ? !!!!!!!!!

sc uk

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: March 2, 2006 01:41

All a bit hazy now but we were about 100 yards from the front...lovely day...

George Thorogood - good
Joe Jackson - excellent
J Geils - OK
Stones - I just remember being blown away again (first time Leicester in '76)

Start Me Up just drilled you into the ground with its power!!

It was great up the front but, turning round, the crowd seemed to go back forever

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 2, 2006 03:49

straycatuk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was at Wembley and Leeds and although I enjoyed
> both I have to say Wembley had a wilder crowd
> (although I was down the front).
> They did completely @#$%& up SSC,but I never saw
> the mythical punch up ! IT NEVER HAPPENED !
>
> Leeds had a more laid back feel .A long hot day
> that felt more like a Festival
>
> George Thorogood
> Joe Jackson
> Joan Jett - I think
> G.Jeils Band
> Stones
>
> I was on the hill,to the right of stage. I
> remember Keith having bottles wrapped in brown
> paper all over the place.
> I think Time is on my side was memorable for the
> feedback on Keith's mike. He kept looking angrily
> at the crew.
>
> I believe that there were 80,000 tickets,but some
> 20,000 gate crashed as the fences came down in a
> couple of spots,but I'm not sure if that was hype
> or not.
>
> A great day . I wasn't quite 17 . where have the
> years gone ? !!!!!!!!!
>
> sc uk

Wow!! What a lineup! That is a festival--and a damn fine one at that!!

By the time of that show, they had been playing for the better part of a yr, so fatigue had probably kicked in a while ago--although between last show of a tour + it being in the UK--you would expect no hold barred show.

I have never heard them do Chantilly Lace, but I can totally picture Mick singing that one.

Date: March 2, 2006 10:47

The boot is great!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: March 2, 2006 12:59

It was a great show!I have a wonderful bootleg of that show entitled Rocks off at Roundhay.The beginning of which captures the final JJ Geils number,Centrefold.
Peter Wolf apologises for President Reagan and lanches into this final number.
Joe Jackson did a nice set and produced a small camera to take photos of the crowd.
The Stones did Angie as an encore and that was really nice to hear.Mick had a red and white jacket on with MICK written on the back!It was my second ever Stones gig.My girlfriend and I slept overnight outside the entry gate so we could get near the front.They were the days!

Date: March 2, 2006 13:06

The Yorkshire Post and Bradford Telegraph and Argus covered the reports.80,000 tickets,40,000 gatecrashers!The fences were climbed and eventually knocked down.I have some really nice Black and white photos which I ordered from the Telegraph and Argus.A br illiant shot of Mick and Keef side by side as they enter the stage.Keef has a cigarette dangling from his mouth and is kicking his foot in the air,his leg is almost parallel with his Fender.

Date: March 2, 2006 13:56

<The Stones did Angie as an encore>

They did Angie, but not as an encore.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 2, 2006 13:57

stargroover Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A br illiant shot of Mick and
> Keef side by side as they enter the stage.Keef has
> a cigarette dangling from his mouth and is kicking
> his foot in the air,his leg is almost parallel
> with his Fender.

you know whats coming next, so i'll ask it:- any chance of scanning/posting?

Date: March 2, 2006 15:52

Any chance that the folks who have the boot of the show could post it, or some of it ???

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: March 2, 2006 16:21

Leeds was below average in in 1982 Tour. Fans expected something extra as it was one day before Mick's Birthday. I attented 12 shows that year and the best by far was the 2nd Frankfurt show.
At that time they did not change the setlist a lot. Only they skipped Chantilly Lace and Let it Bleed at some events and introduced Angie instead.
I think 82 was a kind of transition from being a big rockband to a stadium rockband

Posted by: veronus ()
Date: March 2, 2006 18:20

The 2nd in rotterdam was my first stones concert

Date: March 2, 2006 18:27

Can anyone remember if Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were one of the supports.

I definately saw them around this time,but they may have been supporting someone else . Too many beers in the last 24 years to remember !

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 2, 2006 19:19

I never heard of Angie being played in '82--God knows they did not play it in '81. Would have liked to have heard w/o the backup singers and whole ensemble.

I think the transition into the "next" stage of the Rolling Stones Live, was '89.

Reagan did/does not require an apology to anyone.

Date: March 2, 2006 19:59

Angie was played at a few shows in july 82. It was an electric version - no acoustic guitars.

Date: March 2, 2006 20:50

Here's another picture from the 2nd Frankfurt show.
Last ever performance of Chantilly Lace. But the picture is from Little T & A. I wonder what that bucket is doing there...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-02 20:59 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 2, 2006 21:16

Thanks for all the reports ..a really intresting read..!!What I like..is the fact..that Keith and Ronnie..still did the background vocals!!!Wish they would return to the mic again!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-31 17:37 by rooster.

Date: March 2, 2006 21:56

I will have 2 dig out that bootleg.For some reson Angie stuck in my brain as an encore ,but thinking about it now,your right it wasn't the encore.

Joan Jett supported Queen at Elland road in Leeds along with Heart around that period.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: March 2, 2006 22:58

The bucket was full of water and Mick throwed three ones into the audience. But he was very friendly and avoided to splash it to the fans who had cameras.
I took about 1000 photos on that tour and you may see some of them on old IORR.
Those were the times, but today is also very nice.

Date: March 2, 2006 23:47

Thanks stargroover . I only remembered Teardrop explodes getting pelted with everything at the Queen gig .

I completely forgot I'd seen Heart !

That was my very 1st gig. I've got a tape somewhere,if only I could remember......................there I go again !

Date: March 3, 2006 22:46

So we have the last Stuw..show..and T&A with Jagger!!very important show then!The band shows lots of energy!!

Date: March 4, 2006 21:22

Intresting reading! Some more people who can give us ,who wasn´t ther on the 1982 tour , some eye witness report or memories from Leeds? or other 82´shows. Feelings.memories,experience! Keep o rocking!=)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home