Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blasphemy
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:18

ABB
Eight years on from Bridges to Babylon, the longest ever gap between studio releases, one question begs to be asked: Does anybody really need a new Rolling Stones album? If they do, they deserve something better than this.
For the best part of a quarter of a century now, the Stones have been not so much a band as a brand. Calendar-filling satdium tours followed by souvenir live records (and more recently DVDs) have kept them in the public eye, but they've arguably not given us a solitary song worthy of critical discussion since Undercover Of The Night.
Sadly, they remain convinced the people are all too eager to embrace new material, to the point that one-fifth of the much-hyped Forty Licks compilation comprised totally forgettable post 1990 offerings-at the expense of big hits like We Love You and Little Red Rooster, the latter one of their first chart-toppers.
A BB reaches us at the start of another global jaunt, and it is a safe bet that only one or two of it's 16 songs will feature when the live circus reaches UK shores next summer. Yes, the group wisely stick to the classics for the stage shows, so why even bother attempting to come up with something fresh and relevant
on record, when they're so clearly out of step with any developments in popular music in modern times.
It's not as if the chief writers have listened to, or taken in anything by the young turks of the last two decades. Ironically, the most blatant examples of Jagger & Richards being inspired by others come when they appropriate the styles of acts who themselves borrowed liberally from the Stones in the first place. Look What The Cat Dragged In shamelessly nicks the guitar riff from INXS' Need You Tonight, Biggest Mistake would sound at home on Steve Earls's first couple of albums, and Streets of Love is a lame attempt at a lighter-lofting anthemic U2
ballad.
There's a serious tedious seriousness to much of the album, as if the Stones feel they have a valid statement or two to make about the world situation.
Back in 1978, a song like Respectable was a witty , self-mocking critique of US presidential politics (supposedly inspired by Bianca Jagger's 'frienship' with Gerald Ford's son Jack). Here the clumsily titled Sweet Neo Con is a misfiring broadside at the Bush administration, which, although Jagger claims is not directed personally at Dubya, nonetheless makes reference to vice prez Dick Cheney's old firm Haliburton. Sorry, chaps, but rhyming 'hypocrite' with'crock of shit' is hardly piercing social comment.
When Richards goes for the funny bone it's extraordinarly weak. The closing Infamy appears to have been written solely to revive the corny Kenneth Williams line from Carry On Cleo (as in' they've all got it...'); mildly amusing in isolation, perhaps, but not when repeated a dozen times over four minutes.
The stripped-down blues chug of Back Of My Hand salvages something from the proceedings, as does the holler and strut of She Saw Me Coming, but they're the exceptions in a set of songs as predictable , pedestrian and pointless as the feeblest inclusions on Dirty Work, Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge.
In keeping with the inevitable security surrounding big-name releases these days, the PC -unfriendly encrypted advance copy of the album arrived at the RC office purporting to be a band calling themselves The Little Wonders. Taking it's title into account , The Little Wimpers might have been more apt.

Record Collector NO: 316

I say blasphemy. What say you?

Re: Blasphemy
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:25

While I too lament the "global brand" that the Stones have become, I respectfully disagree with your critique of ABB - or most post-1983 records, for that matter. OK, so ABB is no Beggars Banquet, no Some Girls, no Tattoo You. This I won't dispute. What it is though, is a pretty damn good album coming from a band that has already written hundreds and hundreds of songs. Granted, Look What the Crap Dragged In and Streets of Puke are both disasters. But other than that, each song has at least one redeeming quality. The funk-grooves of NeoCon and RFD. The power riffs of RJ and ONNYA. The country-fied feel of Let Me Down Slow. The list goes on . . .

Incidentally, the only precipitous decline I have noticed has been the quality of the lyrics. I think the most recent vaguely poetic song that they've written is Almost Hear You Sigh. Mick seems to have lost the ability to write non-literal lyrics. What happened, man?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-11 22:31 by nikkibong.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:25

I say this is a complete pile of bullshit.

ABB is an excellent album & if you don't want to go to the 'live circus' as you refer to it,it'll be your loss - I guess most of us on this board will be showin up though.

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:28

I think jagger50 was quoting a magazine review of the album...I don't think it's his opinion.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:30

considering their age, their wealth/fame and everything that they've been through in a musical career of over 5 decades....i'd say that the "Bang" shows that the Stones still have fuel in the tank

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:31

Rock n roll critics, written by people who cant write,about people who cant play, for people who cant read.

I think I will go and listen to Louie Louie !

Date: February 11, 2006 22:31

Before we go any further let's make it crystal clear that I DID NOT WRITE this.
When I read it in Record Collector which I still think is the worlds best music mag I couldn't believe it. Did he really listen to the same record?

Date: February 11, 2006 22:33

rocks off Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think jagger50 was quoting a magazine review of
> the album...I don't think it's his opinion.

I was worried for a bit there.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:35

Apologies to Jagger50 - pleased you did'nt write it & no,I can't believe he did listen to the same record.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:39

It's just another opinion - who cares.....

My opinion (but who cares) - is that it's an album that regurgitates the Stones 90's sound and style of playing. It has its good moments - it has its bad. It's not an album which will go down in the annuls of history as a classic Stones album. They could have done better - but maybe this is as good as it gets. I don't think they should record another album like this - I hope they don't.

Date: February 11, 2006 22:42

Just in case anyone is wondering Record Collector magazine is shipped all over the world. Every 2 years they publish the Rare Record Price Guide. The only one in the world. A must for all Stones fans to see what their collection is worth.
I always put my trust in them. But when I read this I feel they are a little anti Stones now. But like all of you I am into music in general and it still gives a extremly informative scope of what's going on. Shame one plonker has to put a dent in it for us all.

Posted by: scenearts ()
Date: February 11, 2006 22:46

as is often the case with Stones reviews this is a case of partly truth, partly spite and partly ignorant crap.
A reviewer in record collector ought to know that part of the whole story of releasing 40 licks was that it was the first time they could release the 'Klein years' with the 70's/80,s /90's - proportionally therefore 40 licks was as it should have been - and maybe that also why it has sold so well - because whether he thinks so or not alot of people obviously like all era's of the Stones music.

His comments on Neocon are right though - its not up to the standard of say 'Highwire', which is an Excellent Stones song.

As are his comments on the Brand true- but he fails to give credit to the 4 flicks dvd, which is a fantastic presentation of the tour, and much more than a quick live dvd cash-in.

Undercover is a good song, but is it really the greatest Stones offering of the last 23 years - no bloody way is it.

And whats all this bollocks about 'tedious seriousness'- thats just stupid comment with no substance behind it. I do not think that the Stones would regard BB as anything more than a good rocknroll album of traditional themes-where's he getting this feeling of serios and tedious from - only really on Neocon is this a fair comment I think so 1 track out of 19!! Most of it is Mick singing about Women etc.

This review is typical of the UK Coverage the Stones have enjoyed over the 20 years.

Not quite Blasphemy but not really a very good review.

Date: February 11, 2006 22:54

Scenearts, I think you should apply for the job.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 11, 2006 23:11

I would say review was written by a non-fan who listened to the ABB maybe once or twice.
The songs he cites are among the weaker of the many ABB tunes. His longing for other songs living up to Undercover is a joke. It seems that he gravitates toward politically influenced songs which are not and never have been the Stone's focus.
ABB is a solid effort ranking in the pack of good but not great albums. It is fair to compare to the Stone's great records but also needs to be viewed in context with other current rock and roll records. I think viewed against current "competition" ABB ranks right up there. Also to suggest that the Stones should be staying up with current musical trends misses the point of what the Stones are about. While over the years they certainly have some songs that were influenced by current trends, their strength is referencing their roots rather than trying to out do some new band at their game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-12 03:01 by livewithme.

Date: February 11, 2006 23:14

Jagger 50, I would say that a lot of the posters here could write a decent balanced review any day of the week about the Stones. Many here write critically but also infomatively - and the review from Record Collector is neither of these things. Anyway I would not get the job -I only write well if something pisses me off and then I end up using bad language theyd never print it!

Date: February 11, 2006 23:18

I wrote

'I would say that a lot of the posters here could write a decent balanced review any day of the week about the Stones. Many here write critically but also infomatively'

Live with me has just proved my point entirely - excellent post mate.

Date: February 11, 2006 23:30

Hi scenearts, that's why I can't understand why an educated experienced music critic working for an above average music mag could not at least give a balanced review instead of annihilate.

Date: February 11, 2006 23:39

Hey Jagger50 I completely agree, but that is the standard level of so called 'critique' in the UK much of the time.

Like you say its a bit of a bummer when a mag like Record Collector delivers it as its usually pretty decent,but no worries eh - most reviews for ABB have actually been pretty accurate to date.

Date: February 11, 2006 23:42

did anybody out there happen to read the "Bang" review in Mojo magazine?.....just curious

Date: February 11, 2006 23:59

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> did anybody out there happen to read the "Bang"
> review in Mojo magazine?.....just curious

Yes I did. I buy every music mag every month. Also in Uncut they gave a positive Stones review. So did Q. So that's 3 to 1. Maybe RC reviewer had a bad day. But don't we all? But it shouldn't alter the modern works of our boys. Maybe he is not a muscian. Or well informed. But that shouldn't alter the general conception.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2006 00:10

jagger50 Wrote:
>
> I say blasphemy. What say you?

I say you have a strange definition of the word if you consider someone not sharing your enthusiasm about a new Stones album as blasphemy.

It's hardly unprecedented or worth getting excited about

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-12 00:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 12, 2006 00:43

Gazza Wrote:

>
> I say you have a strange definition of the word if
> you consider someone not sharing your enthusiasm
> about a new Stones album as blasphemy.
>

Yeah, I know. What's he gonna do - burn some embassies down, now?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2006 00:57

no..just the office of Record Collector!!

Death to the infidels who insult the Stones!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 12, 2006 02:15

Gazza Wrote:
> no..just the office of Record Collector!!
>
> Death to the infidels who insult the Stones!

The infidels who insult Ron Wood will be dealt with in an especially harsh manner!

Date: February 12, 2006 02:17

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > no..just the office of Record Collector!!
> >
> > Death to the infidels who insult the Stones!
>
> The infidels who insult Ron Wood will be dealt
> with in an especially harsh manner!

yes!!....they will be tied to a chair and forced to listen to rap for 24 straight hours

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 12, 2006 10:12

Gazza Wrote:
> no..just the office of Record Collector!!
>
> Death to the infidels who insult the Stones!

Cool. I'm up for this. Does anyone have the flag of our enemy??? I wanna spit on it, burn it and take a piss on the ashes.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 12, 2006 10:43

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
Does anyone have the flag
> of our enemy??? I wanna spit on it, burn it and
> take a piss on the ashes.
>

L O L!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 12, 2006 10:45

Hahahaha. You liked that LA FORUM??? grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 12, 2006 13:08

Blasphemy was just to get your attention. My demonstration was to buy a BB on vinyl, CD, and the special CD with DVD, 7" single, Streets of Love and Rain Fall Down. And two shows at Wembley. So there you go RC.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: February 12, 2006 14:19

After having gotten bad reviews for Exile, the Stones know it as a proven fact that they can safely ignore the essays of professional rock critics.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home