Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: How did Ronnie play in Atlanta?
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 9, 2006 23:02

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks, mate. t'ain't no big deal. i try to keep
> it balanced.

How was your lunchtime walk???

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 9, 2006 23:13

It is not "rational" to be so hooked on the status of an individual band member night and day. I don't ask every day how individual persons and coolegues are performing. If I started every morning by asking my collegues if one of my other collegues are performing, if he was up to date, sober, still giving problems, every day, week by week, then I would be sued for harassment and fired. It is actually illegal in a normal social and balanced working envronment. Some people on this board have nothing else to spend time on that asking how Ronnie is doing and that is not normal talking, it is not interesting, it is not welcome, it is offending and I won't tolerate it. May be interesting for a small narrow minded group who want to get rid of Ronnie, but the subject is discussed 100 times here and it is not interesting anymore. Posting again and again on this sublect will not be welcome so start your own board or go somewhere else. I don't care. Yes I am in a good mood today so I don't delete and I don't ban but I do still have a clear mind and I do never tolerate offending repeated posts.

Bjornulf

Posted by: monkeygripglue ()
Date: February 9, 2006 23:43

the chances of Ronnie playing like he did 30 years ago are about the same as Johnny Winter tapdancing..or even standing up for a show.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 10, 2006 00:11

Watch it Monkey!!!

MLC

Posted by: Bob05 ()
Date: February 10, 2006 00:34

Personally, I have always been a fan of Woodie's. Looking at his playing on this tour - no matter whether from an emotional or a more rational viewpoint - we have to see and accept though that his guitar work has decreased in quality quite a bit if not more than that.

Regarding this, some of the overwhelming review comments on these iorr sites seem very strange to me. Either some people don't hear alright or they don't exactly know what they're on about (Mind you, playing guitar yourself might help a lot judging Ronny these days - I know what I'm talking about).

Apart from all the criticism on Ron we'd maybe better ask for the reasons. As his decline is more than visible (hearable) there must be reasons for this. I feel sorry for him.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 10, 2006 00:49

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> T&A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > thanks, mate. t'ain't no big deal. i try to
> keep
> > it balanced.
>
>
> How was your lunchtime walk???

stogie was good - switched gears and went with newly downloaded torrent of Taj Mahal from Ludlow's Garage in Cincinnati (1970) with Jesse Ed Davis on guitar...good stuff to listen to whilst watching tug boats go by....thanks for asking....

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: February 10, 2006 00:51

BV - how can you compare a working environment and a fan site? How can you compare discussing Ronnie with fellow fans and discussing someone with people who are also HIS colleagues? The two situations are obviously drastically different. At work, you should mind your own business to an extent. But how are we supposed NOT to wonder about the Stones, writing on a Stones board? Besides we are not harassing the Stones.

Anyway. You let ugly threads go on about Aretha Franklin being fat, with posts which had a strange aftertaste of racism. And then because someone asks how Ronnie played - and only denied he played like 75, not even suggested that he played badly - you catch fire.

Let's just face it, you find criticism of the Stones increasingly hard to bear. And I think all the lecturing you give about human nature or what is harassment is irrelevant to the issues discussed.

Glad to see you're in a good mood.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 10, 2006 01:15

No disrespect Bjornulf but otonneau has echoed my thoughts, and I imagine that of many others, exactly. On any discussion board a variety of opinions have to be given aire, even those you don't agree with. If not, then board ceases to be anything but a forum for open discussion which seems to be increasingly the case of late I'm sorry to say.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-10 02:23 by ChrisM.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 10, 2006 02:48

bv Wrote:
> It is not "rational" to be so hooked on the status
> of an individual band member night and day.

It's not necessarily rational to spend large amounts of time and energy thinking about, discussing and following around a bunch of 60-something English guys, either, but we all do it. I thought that's what this board was for, to come here and discuss in detail various aspects of the Stones.

People ask how Ronnie played after every show because he is erratic; sometimes he plays great and sometimes he has off nights and hits a bunch of bum notes. I was in Atlanta and thought he played great for the most part. But if he had sucked I'd like to think I would have the freedom to say so here. I don't see the harm in people discussing whether he played well or not. The man is a public figure; it's only natural that people who are interested in Stones music would discuss him and his performance.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: February 10, 2006 03:44

OHNO- you nailed it! Nice and very succiently stated.

As far as Atlanta goes - you lucky bastarP- I wish I was there with you guys!

Hope you had your visual aid for the show? See you at Drake's mixing event!

BTW- Put on "I can feel the fire" right now and Ron Wood does no wrong!! smiling smiley

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: February 10, 2006 05:32

My question (since I was the one that started the post) was out of curiosity. Ronnie was great at the superbowl yet average during the tour (IMO). So I was wondering if he kept it up to the same level.
I wouldn't compare my question to assessing a colleague performance, but rather a fan assessing a soccer player's performance after a game. Nothing irrational.
Ron gets paid insane amounts for what he does. It comes with a price: public exposure. If he was paid what your colleague is making (unless you're working in derivative trading), we wouldn't be talking about here.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 10, 2006 06:17

I say something once again: Some people sigh for 1978 tour which was ful of guitar mistakes and frivolous "punky" play. Some people yearn for Knewborth 1976, where Keith was 80% "off". Some people are dying for LYL album, despite Mick sings on it out of tune very often. But THE SAME people nowadays are crucifying Ronnie for two- three "boom notes" during a two hours notes!! No, that's not funny. That's crazy. A kind of illness on this board...

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 10, 2006 06:48

stickydion Wrote:
> I say something once again: Some people sigh for
> 1978 tour which was ful of guitar mistakes and
> frivolous "punky" play. Some people yearn for
> Knewborth 1976, where Keith was 80% "off". Some
> people are dying for LYL album, despite Mick sings
> on it out of tune very often. But THE SAME people
> nowadays are crucifying Ronnie for two- three
> "boom notes" during a two hours notes!! No, that's
> not funny. That's crazy. A kind of illness on this
> board...

Excellent point. People tend to romaticize the past. PLENTY of bum notes in 75-76, 78 and 81-82! Great feel, great overall tours, but the lows were really low. '94 and up with the backup band is a different deal, less adventure, more consistent, but still some great, great moments!

Date: February 10, 2006 06:52

Agree 100%, ohnonotyouagain.

Date: February 10, 2006 06:52

Two or three bum notes during a show stickydion? If only it were that many! I don't say that out of spite but out of observation. Has anyone here asked themselves (rhetorical question) why the subject of Ronnie's playing ability comes up time and again on this board? Could it be that the subject has some merit behind it? More often than not it's not about bashing Ronnie or hating him or being mean spirited but out of concern for his welfare and his all too obvious decline. If that is not worthy of open and frank discussion (let's not forget polite!) on a Rolling Stones board then what pray tell is?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-10 07:00 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 10, 2006 07:37

MCDDTLC Wrote:
> Sounds like Ronnie was still Ronnie - bum notes
> here and there....
>
> MLC

I haven't listened to the show yet but I'll believe what MLC writes before I believe the "he was on fire" stuff....

Date: February 10, 2006 07:40

Esky ya bastard! Are you married yet?

Date: February 10, 2006 08:03

ChrisM, there are here a lot of different opinions about Ronnie, also about the playlists. But i don't see arguments anymore. "Ronnie's solo on WAY was great", or "was horrible", or "was just good", or "was decent". You know, some things after all are matter of taste. Some people are thinking Ronnie's solo on YCAGWYW from LYL album is classic and marvellous. Fine, but i say it is a childish solo! I like a lot his solo on CYHMK during Licks Tour. Fine, but other fans hate it. To me the Still Life version of Satisfaction was bad. Some people are dying for it. Everyone believes something "obviously" correct and ...that's all. I 'm really tired of it. All of us are fans of "different Stones". Nothing wrong with it. But the recycling of the same clishe (from any side), all the time, is not a real discussion.

BTW, i think Ronnie still does good job and sometimes great job. I love especially his "slide" and the "team spirit" between him and Keith. I find him nowadays better than what he was during B2B tour and on the european leg of the Licks. Just my opinion, just my ...ears.

"Why the subject of Ronnie's playing ability comes up time and again on this board"... Oh, yes it comes up. Like the questions "is he a real Stone?", "should Mick and Keith bring him?" and other... well-timed subjects! Also here sometimes we discuss about subjects like "should the Stones play JJF ??". Even we know very well that the 95% of the audiences don't even can imaging a Stones concert without JJF. Illneeeeessssss!!!!!

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: February 10, 2006 08:15

SanFranMan! How are you mate?
No idea what the thread is about just saw your name and thought I'd wave hello.

:0)

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: February 10, 2006 08:20

Stickydion, you are of course entitled to your view, as is everyone here. Mine stems from being a guitarist and muscian myself and to my ears Ronnie, God bless him, is not nearly as good as he used to be and in fact is at times awful. I take no pleasure in saying that but I can't ignore what my ears tell me.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 10, 2006 08:31

I was there and IMO Ron did not open up at all until about song 5. That was also where the Stones as a whole kicked it into higher gear. His style of soloing is completely new to him. This I have to hand Ronnie: on every tour he has introduced a new style of solo. In 06 he plays this real thick, distorted chorused sound on the Strat. A lot of Lo EQ. And he riffs. I can't explain. Insread of his single notes that he was known for, he now will grab a position and play all the notes on the various strings without muting anything, so it sounds like mANY SUSTAINED OVERLAPPING NOTES. (Sorry did not mean to capitalize)

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 10, 2006 17:11

Kyle, you cheeky bugger! All is well here in SF, the sky is blue, the grass is green and the weekend is nigh! Hope all is well in Oz as well! Anyway, Chelsea, you explained quite well as I understood what you were trying to convey regarding Ronnie's sound. Beyond that I'll say no more. Rock on all!

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: February 10, 2006 17:17

Problem is not guitar mistakes, we don't even hear him !! Does he really play ??
Yeah there was a lot of mistakes in 78/81 but guitars were there, we could hear them !! They were rocking the house !!

Posted by: short&curlies ()
Date: February 10, 2006 17:28

Hey, I saw them 1975...can't say much about Ronnie's playing that night...but then I can't say much about anything that happen that night....I was told I had a real good time!!!!

Date: February 10, 2006 18:09

If you feel a post is truely offending then it is very easy to REPORT it. may be there have been some stupid remarks about Aretha here but they would be few and this is not an Aretha fans so most people leave it with that. If it was offending and it was bothering people they would tell me but nobody told me.

Same as if I made a bad joke or ten about your wife in China you would probably not hear about it or worry but if I did it in your own home it's a bit different.

Bjornulf

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: February 10, 2006 18:37

How about a short list (3) of good Ronnie live songs and bad Ronnie live songs?
On commercial releases, please. I don't have a lot of boots.

Date: February 10, 2006 19:07

How about a short list of 3 people who don't like your face? Or how about a list of people who hate your country? I think it is destructive and narrow minded and not very constructive to make such a list. And if you make it then the sole purpose would be to offend a lot of people who love Ronnie and the Stones. Like printing a picture that is offending 1,5 billion people. Possible but not really ideal for world peace and mutual friendship may be?

Bjornulf

Date: February 10, 2006 19:16

wisertime wrote: "Problem is not guitar mistakes, we don't even hear him !!"

I have to disagree, IF you mean THIS tour.

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: February 10, 2006 19:22

Bob05 Wrote:
(Mind
> you, playing guitar yourself might help a lot
> judging Ronny these days - I know what I'm talking
> about).

Well, I think this leads nowhere...

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: February 10, 2006 20:33

bv Wrote:
> How about a short list of 3 people who don't like
> your face? Or how about a list of people who hate
> your country? I think it is destructive and narrow
> minded and not very constructive to make such a
> list. And if you make it then the sole purpose
> would be to offend a lot of people who love Ronnie
> and the Stones. Like printing a picture that is
> offending 1,5 billion people. Possible but not
> really ideal for world peace and mutual friendship
> may be?
>
> Bjornulf

WOW. I thought you were supposed to be the moderator of this forum. That was pretty incendiary. I was merely trying to see if I could tell the difference between what people consider a "bad" Ronnie song from a "good" Ronnie song.

Very disappointed in you, Mr. BV. I have been a fan of IORR for over 12 years and a subscriber in the 1990s.

By the way...it would take a list much longer than 3 people who don't like my face.

Jon Walgren
Chicago USA

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home