Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How Does ABB Rate in Your Play Rotation Now?
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 5, 2006 03:08

It hasn't lost anything for me -- it's a Stones classic, and my WMP playlist includes "We Don't Wanna Go Home" and "Under the Radar". I haven't tired of it, and I get more comfortable with it on each successive listening.

I've mentioned it before, but taken as a complete package, this album is as good as anything they've ever done. This is a classic example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.

Re: How Does ABB Rate in Your Play Rotation Now?
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: February 5, 2006 03:16

you're right

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 5, 2006 03:50

I love the album. Getting very steady play from mez James

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 5, 2006 03:57

Holds up for me, but I also made a point to not O.D. on it early. Very fresh, strong collection. Must say SOL is my least favorite track, but it's not as bad imo as 'Indian Girl'...

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 5, 2006 04:07

To be honest it is not up very high with me. And I don't know why. I listen to much Stones all the time. Lately not even boots; all official. Maybe it's just a phase. I am doing mostly solo stuff. When new-era-official rolls around it will be right up there.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 5, 2006 06:49

I am still playing it regularly. I have listened to the last 3 many times in recent months and I put ABB as the best of these. More back to basic rockers. Plus LIND and RFD are solid. Keith's 2 are only o.k. Glad they are playing an ABB tune tomorrow. (RJ)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2006 08:18

bunker...work...car...dreams

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: February 5, 2006 08:51

I looovez dat album real besame mucho. MEZ

and Ay ay baby it hurts

Six Princes of Peace: JFK, RFK, MLK, John Lennon, Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: February 5, 2006 09:19

It`s out of rotation for four weeks now, mabe I got to listen again in a few month. For me there are some nice tracks on it, well the best (under the radar) is not...
And to be honest I don`t like the production at all, the sound is some kind of clinical

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: February 5, 2006 10:21

Classic! I now rank it higher than Tattoo You just below Some Girls........

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 5, 2006 10:24

Have to admit it didnt get in rotation after I put it away
after first week; but there is a moving towards more playing.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 5, 2006 10:32

I listen to it regularly. Which was not the case for BTB,VL. A Stones classic.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 5, 2006 10:53

I play the 2 extra tracks a lot. Dont wanna go home,is kind of a weak song, but have you noticed how great Keiths rhytmn guitar is on it?, at his best.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 5, 2006 11:23

It´s still going strong...and still there´s a need to play that
album live. Goddamn!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 5, 2006 12:36

bassplayer617 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It hasn't lost anything for me -- it's a Stones
> classic, and my WMP playlist includes "We Don't
> Wanna Go Home" and "Under the Radar". I haven't
> tired of it, and I get more comfortable with it on
> each successive listening.
>
> I've mentioned it before, but taken as a complete
> package, this album is as good as anything they've
> ever done. This is a classic example of the whole
> being greater than the sum of its parts.
>
>

There is nothing more to say, I agree, runner up to "Exile" in my opinion.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: February 5, 2006 12:55

I thought it was a great album when it came out & I see no reason to change my mind now.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 5, 2006 13:12

I still love it. About their 6th, 7th or 8th best record of their entire career.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: February 5, 2006 13:18

One masterpiece: Let Me Down Slow, one of the best-crafter stones song, they're all on top of their game.

Five classics: ONNYA, She saw me coming, Rough Justice, Back of my hand and Driving too fast are brilliantly played and produced;

Two great, different grooves : Infamy and Sweet neo-con. On the latter, Charlie's drumming has a fabulous elasticity. Don't know how he does that. Great production with all the little jagger growls in the corner and the harp in the main role.

Sometimes it's cool to blow Cat super loud, quite a blast.

Biggest Mistake is a nice little tune, simple as they come.

I have a problem with Rain Fall Down and Laugh. I love the way they play on the former (the guitars, funky stones at their strongest) but the melody and lyrics are weak.
Jagger is stellar on Laugh, but the song is too self-pitying for me, and the guitar background is too light, and I hate the pompous three chords which lead to "I'm so sick and tired..." Really can't take them, ruins the song for me. So I try to concentrate only on the vox and marvel at how Jagger manages to do all these wierd sounds - that's fascinating enough!

This place is empty: good song but Keith is much too much, over the top. One phrase ruins it for me: "it's crazy but it's true". The sound on true sounds like a pervert crocodile posing as a crooner.

I won't take long drags and drags... and it's mostly Daryl's fault. The way he just plays the dominant note on the chorus flattens it hopelessly. help, Bill!
The solo is oh so weak as well.

Two horrible tunes: Dangerous beauty: sounds empty. If Dance Little sister was a fish, this one would be the same fish, but dead and empty. And the unbearable SOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-05 13:20 by otonneau.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 5, 2006 14:19

otonneau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One masterpiece: Let Me Down Slow, one of the
> best-crafter stones song, they're all on top of
> their game.

That's my opinion too. Nice pieces of Guitar and Bass.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: February 5, 2006 17:48

I still can't take it.
Although in concert (Montreal), ONNYA and RJ were good fun.
LMDS is a nice song, but for me far from being a masterpiece, because its chord progression in the chorus is so derivative (although I still can't tell from WHAT exactly, I know I will nail it some day). I do not HATE it and blame them for this reason, no, just that for me a masterpiece is something that blows everything else out of the water.
That sickeningly loudly compressed production of aBB (I have the CD version) gives me "digititis" just thinking about it!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 5, 2006 18:12

Often in the car...

Posted by: Pedro99 ()
Date: February 5, 2006 18:20

I love this album more and more - I have been playing it a lot lately

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 5, 2006 19:19

don't even know where the damned thing is right now. obviously, it's not "high" in my rotation...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: February 5, 2006 21:50

I think this album has aged well for me. I guess I would say that it goes about 1 out every 10 albums I am playing since it was released. I have the songs in my head and know the lyrics pretty well. I think this was a very ood effort from the Stones and I only wish they had included those extra tracks we just got from the fan club on the initial release. Would have been a very long album, but these days who cares?

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: February 5, 2006 22:05

Good, but to be honest, I listened to Maccas Creation ten times more.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 6, 2006 00:00

I feel the same as you StonesTod.

I'm pleased it's not the embarrassment i thought it might be but after a number of initial listens it fails to leave a lasting impression. It rings hollow particuarly when compared to the Stones pre Tattoo You period. It a little more accessible than Bridges To Babylon sounding more like the traditional Stones but for me the more i listen the more i feel it really is light years away.

Date: February 6, 2006 00:05

I love it more and more. Especially after I started playing the vinyl-version and discovered how great it really is....It's for sure among Stones top 10 albums imo.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 6, 2006 00:20

Still doing well, but been playing alot of Screeching Weasel and Wildhearts lately.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 6, 2006 00:27

in some ways I feel it's pointless for the Stones to put out new studio albums anymore (i've been saying that for many years). i felt this time that it was a good idea at least as a way of justifying a new tour - but look what's happened with that concept! the album has been all but forgotten by the Stones. that's the most depressing part of it for me.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: February 6, 2006 01:27

I must say, after being so crazy about it initially, it has been off my play-list for months. In hindsight, it wasn't as good as I thought. Too many 2-chord, 3-beat stanza Mick songs ("You're awful bright/You're awful smart," same chord/word structure as "Your love is strong/And you're so sweet" and almost every song he's written in the past twenty years. Compare the chord/word structure of his recent songs to "Paint It, Black," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Brown Sugar" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" for instance. It's not like he never wrote more complicated songs...he just can't--or is too lazy to--now).

My other complaint is that all the songs use the same basic instruments and guitar tones...what happened to all-acoustic songs, sitars, pedal-steel guitars, mandolins, dobros, slow slide-guitars, different percussions, different guitar tones (i. e., "Shattered")? What happened to arrangements like "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Monkey Man," "Factory Girl" and "Love In Vain"? They can't experiment anymore?

My initial rating **** and 1/2 stars (out of five)
My permanent rating **

Better than 'Bridges To Babylon,' though. That one got a permanent * from me.

I think it's time for me to give up on 'em...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home