Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bigger Stones fans: American kids or European kids?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 3, 2006 16:17

Just wondering,

Are American kids bigger Stones fans or are European kids in 2006? When I say kids I mean late teens and twenties.

I have to be honest I really don't see much if any Stones fans in the younger generation. Nobody really cares or even listens to them.

If not for stores like Target and Walmart selling Stones tee shirts they might not even be aware of them. A lot of kids like the tongue logo.

Re: Bigger Stones fans: American kids or European kids?
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: February 3, 2006 16:21

i dont see many teens listening real music. thats the problem. with all the spears britney, mtv and the fastest musicbuisiness ever outthere, the chance to find the way to good music is really hard . im 24 and i have to say that i learned listening to good music especially stones,floyd,doors and so on, by my parents.furthermore we never had cable with mtv or such music channels.now i can luckily say that i didnt miss anything on those programme.teens musical listening behaviour may be the same in all those "western" countries. teens find in spears or that hiphop rap ( in germany they call hip nowadays rhythm and blues - a capital crime imo) their lifestyle: money, a lot of sex and so on. the stones or good music may be too difficult to listen to.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-03 16:27 by TeleK.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: February 3, 2006 16:29

I have 4 nephews and nieces ,age ranges from 29 to 16 years old.They all know the Stones and appreciate them though they are not "fans" as we are.
My 3 years old boy is a new fan! He's asked me a Stones CD and I gave him Hot Rocks II and he's palying it all day long!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: February 3, 2006 16:29

It's funny. I have just the opposite experience. I see tons of kids with an interest in the Stones and in even older stuff (Elvis, Ray Charles, Sinatra, etc.)

I think the Stones are definitely moving out of "old" and into "classic" or "timeless." It's unfortunate that that shift will intensify when the band is no longer a going concern.

What I think is lacking for kids these days is not good or hip musical taste, but the culture of seriously listening to and following music. The download culture really obscures a lot of the great album work that is the true core of the Stones' greatness.

Date: February 3, 2006 16:46

I think dance and rap music has really got a stranglehold on young kids today. But thats ok because it is what they want to listen to.

For Christmas my 11 year old daughter give me a list of some cds she wanted.

Now 19
Black eye peas
Green Day (when I saw that one I ran out to get it, a rock band!! and she loves it)

Bands, with musicians are a rare form today. Everybody wants to sing or thinks that they can sing.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: February 3, 2006 16:48

Hey!! I'm the 14 year old European Stones fan here!!

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: February 3, 2006 17:30

Last weekend, I was on a party with about 45 people under from 18-24.
I was talikng to a guy I knew from my school days.
He knows I'm a Stones fan and he euphorically told me that he's downloaded "Satisfaction" and another tune, ehmmm, "Jolly Jack Flash" or so.
Funny story.
But except some of my friends, most of the people on the party listened to obscure reggae-, ska- and punk-influenced new wave bands, though all the people there really digged the groove of "Sweet Neocon", "Brown Sugar" and the Door's "LA Woman".
Many people like many different things nowadays because music is easliy avaliable, but on the other hand, they are not really into them, because they mainly download a few tracks per band.
On a education travel a few months ago, I had really dumb guy in my room, who didn't even know Bob Dylan or the Stones while he listened to German-Turkish rapper Bushido.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 3, 2006 18:43

Going by own experiences of audiences on both sides of the Atlantic that I've seen, I think the audiences in Europe are generally younger - which is a direct result of the fact that European ticket prices over the last couple of tours havent skyrocketed to the same extent that they have in the USA

Younger people have less disposable income, so affordable shows are going to attract a younger audience.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: February 3, 2006 19:30

I know some kids in their mid-teens who love the Stones, AC-DC, the Who.
They just don't care for the [most part] uninspired music on the radio.
My kid is just as likely to put in a Stones CD as anything else.

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: February 3, 2006 19:54

I am a very big Stones fanatic. Almost 20 years old know all the songs have all the cd's. Been to 9 shows and for a 19 year old Stones fan that is pretty rare. I spend MY money to see some of the shows. But I was lucky to have a Dad introduce me to them. I knew JJ Flash, Satisfaction and the rest but didnt realize the brillance until I saw them performed in concert. What really did it for me was knowing the Stones are good and respectable but when I heard Beast of Burden and Send it To Me those two songs just opened up all of the Stones songs to me. Those two songs made me realize this isnt just a greatest hits band.

So for about the last 5 years I have been a fanatic. I have tried to get my friends into them and they respect them but I dont think they understand the Stones as great musicians but more for having spectacular concerts. They say Mick Jagger is amazing and Keith Richards is just "cool as shit." Anyhow thats just a quick dabber into my experience as a young one. Tom

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:29

this 19 year old American (that would be me) is well, simply put, obsessed with the stones.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: February 3, 2006 23:25

I am 19 and I am from Greece.I am a stone's freak but I have never met someone to listen them as I do.They just know paint it black etc.

Date: February 4, 2006 01:01

Back in the 60's and 70's rock music was it. At least for young white kids, boys
and girls. Of course most black kids that I knew listened to soul, motown.

The 70's were full of one hit wonders on am radio. A lot of parents I knew liked oldies and am top 40.

Looking back, I remember thinking I wanna listen to this or that because thats what the cool people listened to. Then you soon develop favorite bands that stick with you and your friends.

The Stones dominated the late 60's and 70's. They lived on the edge and us kids just loved that. I don't think any other band achieved that status for so long. Don't laugh but I'll even admit this, I think Michael Jackson dominated for a later period in the 80's. But thats just for the record.

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: February 4, 2006 01:01

From the various DVD's I have of The Stones, I would say that South America seems to have the largest turn-out of 18-25 year olds. The 98 Rio DVD w/Bob Dylan is probably one of the most intense crowds I've ever seen at a show.

The Brazilians are going crazy from the first note and I'm sure 5 hours after the last note, non-stop dancing/jumping all out gusto.

I'm a New Yorker, and honestly, sad to say, but the American crowd is kind of lame. Older and more reserved. I will give credit to the 1-20-06 MSG crowd, they rocked their ass off! It was good times again.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 4, 2006 01:25

"I am 19 and I am from Greece. I am a stone's freak but I have never met someone to listen them as I do.They just know paint it black etc."

StratoGR, i'm from Greece too. I have met (especially in rock bars) a few Stone's freaks at your age and a lot Stones freaks 6-10 years older. I think there is a big difference about it between the "categories" of "15- 20" and "20-30" years old. Believe me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2629
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home