Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chicago 1-25.... U.C. Explodes... DeRogatis and the Ronnie Haters can kiss the world's ass
Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: January 26, 2006 08:47

Where to start re: Wednesday's 1-25 show at the United Center... Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones played their 2nd of 2 gigs here and this time Charlie's bandmates came to play.

I guess with the highlights of which there were so many...

#1: Probably the fans. When a band "lights up" the U.C. it just rocks. When you think the decibel level is high for the band taking a bow, it about triples for the fab four...

Somewhere around Rambler tonite the Stones lit the fuse on the U.C. and didn't stop til the final curtain.

MAJOR HIGH POINTS, PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

1) Ron Wood: Gotta be Ronnies incredible interpretation of You Can't Always Get What you Want. As first encore they just totally nailed this song. Can't remember a more soulful version. Total DVD gem quality and Ronnie was playin' stuff I'd really never heard before on it. When he was finished the U.C. just roared.

Ronnie nailed it all night long but really shone on YCAGWYW, the Rough Justice crazy slide and Start Me Up... did he ever nail SMU. and Ronnie and Keith on Midnite Rambler. Maybe not the very very best version I ever heard (40 Licks at same venue), but just what was necessary to pump this crowd to the next level

2) Chuck Leavell: Anyone catch Chuck on Honky Tonk Women ?? Just plu-perfect honky tonk piano. Reminds us why we love this song so much. When it's done right it's such a blast.

3) Charlie Watts: 2 nites in a row Charlie just blasted the drums. He was really in the mood to play in Chicago, wow.

4) Darryl Jones: all night long, but he's showcased on Rain Fall Down. You just instantly recognize why this guy is so talented and has such mastery of the bass. From rock to funk to jazz theres nothing he doesn't play well.

SONGS OF NOTE:

A) That "teaser intro" to an incredible Rambler.... Charlie bangin' away, Keith warmin' up.... did anyone else think it sounded like You Gotta Move was coming ??

cool smiley The Jumpin' Jack Flash intro. So much edgier than Monday night... felt like a "full" version rather than the truncated intro version.

C) Memory Motel. Sort of tonites "As Tears Go By"...

D) Respectable. Especially Keith's riffs on the b-stage. Way over the top

E) Get Off of My Cloud: beautiful crowd sing-along

Beautiful versions of Sympathy for the Devil, Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock n Roll.....

If the Stones were taping these two nights they have a great DVD in the can, probably 75% from tonites show.

A major blast to attend.

Chicago is also home to one of the most sorry newspapers in the country... The Sun-Times. Owned formerly by "Lord Black" and some other guy (Radler something), both on trial or convicted of so much fraud... and "advised" by the uber Neo-Con himself, the despicable Richard Perle who was head of the Defense Policy Board at the Pentagon, and along with Paul Wolfowitz under Don Rumsfeld and Irving Scooter Libby in the Veep's office, one of the chief architects and apologists for the DISASTER in Iraq...

This a**-wipe Neo-Con newspaper is home to the world's WORST music critic... Jim DeRogaitis who has this really curious thing of: A) Bashing the Stones and then cool smiley Posting his "bash review" on the top banner of the front page... in order to use the Stones popularity to sell their Neo-Con Perle-Connected rag.

The SUn-Times pulled this stunt when the stones came thru for their incredible gig at Soldier Field last year... Bash the Stones and put them on the front page top banner of the paper. Curious journalism to say the least.

As he most often does, DeRogaitis' headline on the front page of the paper was derogatory to the extreme reading "Exile on Lame Street", if you can believe that. Such an insult from such pond scum newspaper to such an incredible group of musicians.

Just hope the Stones recognize that the Sun-Times doesn't speak for ANY STONES FANS in this town.

Beautiful show.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-26 08:50 by BornOnTheBayou.

Re: Chicago 1-25.... U.C. Explodes... DeRogatis and the Ronnie Haters can kiss the world's ass
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 26, 2006 10:02

oh my god- what a show. monday was missing something - either i or they found it tonight. my seat was better this time - i sat in the section directly on the side and loved it - kind of like the on stage experience - but you could see even more going on backstage. there are two women who pat down mick with towels after he takes off his shirt - i want that job!

Tonight they had their energy and spirits up for sure. When in the front row of my section, I was at the same level as and not far from Lisa, Blondie, and Bernard. We all danced together and Keith and Ron came by each to flirt.

Favorite song: Memory Motel- when Keith sings his beautiful part everyone screamed with delight - so great. I could hear his part over and over.

I even liked Start Me Up tonight - 2/3rds of the way through the show. Lisa Fischer told me that I make a dead man come! In fact, I really enjoyed all the warhorses tonight and I can't say that's usually the case. Side seats rule!

Re: Chicago 1-25.... U.C. Explodes... DeRogatis and the Ronnie Haters can kiss the world's ass
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 26, 2006 10:17

f-ing awesome!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 26, 2006 10:18

Lucky bastards... We (in Europe) still wait...

Date: January 26, 2006 10:21

Mick was sick monday. He seemed better tonight! He kept blowing his nose Monday and didn't sound 100 percent. Tonight, he was back in full force!

Date: January 26, 2006 10:39

bayou wrote:

>This a**-wipe Neo-Con newspaper is home to the world's WORST music critic... Jim DeRogaitis who has this really curious thing of: A) Bashing the Stones and then Posting his "bash review" on the top banner of the front page... in order to use the Stones popularity to sell their Neo-Con Perle-Connected rag

deregotis is the biggest stones basher ever. He's a 300 pound piece of shit that sits in the skybox with a plate full of ding dongs and says "what, jumpin' jack flash, how expected" . I expect him to keel over from overexerting himself at the buffets. No matter what they play, he rips them. He controdicts himself everytime. He once said a great setlist WOULD INCLUDE ain't too proud to beg AND memory motel. Well, jackass, we got them tonight!

deregotis- jackass
bayou- thank god you pointed out this piece of shit!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 26, 2006 14:35

Lack of sleep.....?

Yeah Ronnie's great!

Sergeant Shultz

Posted by: Frayed ()
Date: January 26, 2006 15:16

TWO GREAT SHOWS at MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
one great show in chicago
It must be the NYC STONES FANS

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: January 26, 2006 15:22

Yeah, I thought I was the Jackass around here?

Posted by: fxc1 ()
Date: January 26, 2006 15:37

Keep your idiotic political rambling to yourself. What a jerk

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 26, 2006 16:21

here we go again...

Date: January 26, 2006 18:12

amen bayou

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Date: January 26, 2006 20:19

little queenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> - i sat in the section
> directly on the side and loved it - kind of like
> the on stage experience - but you could see even
> more going on backstage.

We were on the opposite (Keiths side) and had the same feeling. I was skeptical at first but when I saw the stage layout thought... this might be pretty good. Great thing about the side seats, you get the close view of the stage but also you get the full force of the audience screaming at you.

>
> Favorite song: Memory Motel- when Keith sings his
> beautiful part everyone screamed with delight - so
> great. I could hear his part over and over.

That was so freaking cool, Keith singing those refrain lines...

>
> I even liked Start Me Up tonight -

Start Me Up was phenomenal, and I found myself wondering why it was so &^%$# good, a rather pedestrian corporate song usually... then I looked down at the stage and saw Ronnie nailin' it and I realized it was Ronnie's lead that made the song so interesting tonite...

It's like he found a somewhat different way to work the lead... he did the same thing WITH SPADES on You Can't Always Get What You Want... if anyone has a tape of that, please post it!! Goes down as my "benchmark" version of the song.

Date: January 26, 2006 20:22

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> bayou wrote:
>
> >This a**-wipe Neo-Con newspaper is home to the
> world's WORST music critic... Jim DeRogaitis who
> has this really curious thing of: A) Bashing the
> Stones and then Posting his "bash review" on the
> top banner of the front page... in order to use
> the Stones popularity to sell their Neo-Con
> Perle-Connected rag
>
>
> deregotis is the biggest stones basher ever. He's
> a 300 pound piece of shit that sits in the skybox
> with a plate full of ding dongs and says "what,
> jumpin' jack flash, how expected" . I expect him
> to keel over from overexerting himself at the
> buffets. No matter what they play, he rips them.
> He controdicts himself everytime. He once said a
> great setlist WOULD INCLUDE ain't too proud to beg
> AND memory motel. Well, jackass, we got them
> tonight!
>
>
> deregotis- jackass
> bayou- thank god you pointed out this piece of
> shit!
>

But the most inscrutable thing about DeRogaitis is that he CLAIMS to really love the stones...

It's like he must be into S&M or something... like a sadistic love.... I love this band so much I'll just trash them without mercy... Remember "DooDoo Lounge" he penned, now "Exile on Lame Street"... the guy is the world's worst music critic. Didn't know about the DingDongs... sounds about right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-26 20:23 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: marbles ()
Date: January 26, 2006 22:19

Bayou-one more thing about the S-times idiot...you may recall, he out & out lied in his review of the Soldier Field concert. He ripped the prices & said they rushed through the show in an hour & 1/2. It's one thing to trash the performance, it's another to blatantly lie in order to put them down. He's worse than a POS!

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: January 26, 2006 23:28

Y'all should check out the Jan 26 Sun-times. There is a page of emails bitching about Derogaitis' review of the Stones.

The Tribune critic, by the way, has always had a much more thorough and deep review of Stones' concerts. I think his name is Greg Kot. I didn't see his review of this UC tour...I assume it is equally well written.

Date: January 26, 2006 23:34

Check out the response to Sun Times Stones-hater Deregotis.By the way, the last response is by Mike(A.K.A. JJFlash)

[www.chicagosuntimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-27 03:44 by J.J.Flash.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: January 27, 2006 01:04

That setlist looks sick! I hope the show was as good as the setlist seems it should be!

Date: January 27, 2006 03:55

I have to admit, Ronnie was a highlight Wednesday! Great f-ing Rambler! 6 different songs from Monday!!! What a great time I had!Right by the "b" stage again! I got some decent pictures.

Date: January 27, 2006 03:58

J.J.Flash Wrote:
> I have to admit, Ronnie was a highlight Wednesday!

Take that you Ronnie Haters !!!

Date: January 27, 2006 04:01

This was my response they put in the Chicago sun times to the Deregatis review.

The Rolling Stones were fantastic Monday night. You are a person of no class, and you have no idea what a great concert is. Everyone in the United Center was in concert heaven! Your opinion means nothing. You are either jealous of the band or you're just plain insane.

Mike

Date: January 27, 2006 04:43

Guys, on the other hand i believe it's good for the band if 5- 10 "well known", "famous" giornalists (out of 1,000 or 2,000 worldwide) envy so obviously the Stones and their success. The Stones need some enemies to keep the band and the fan base vivid and obstineted. I remember very well the Stones since 1973, all the time between enemies.

Posted by: Rolling Beatle ()
Date: January 27, 2006 05:32

Anyone record last night's show?

Date: January 27, 2006 18:05

Oh, two threads on the forum about DeRogatis article. What a "tribute" to him...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 27, 2006 18:28

stickydion Wrote:
> Lucky bastards... We (in Europe) still wait...

Some lucky european bastards were also there :-) Wow!!! And what a week:Buddy Guy,Stones and especially Tim Ries' Rolling Stones projet.
You have no clue how talented the musicians of the stones are!!! A must for next summer.
And what a perfect show the stones delivered (esp second one). Wish they would have played "As tears go by" twice

Date: January 27, 2006 23:28

"Some lucky european bastards were also there"

Yes, i know Harm. I consider them as double "lucky bastards"!

BTW, i had seen Buddy Guy a few years ago in Athens, during a Blues Festival. He was marvellous.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home