Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: for mathijs, a question
Posted by: kees ()
Date: January 24, 2006 13:41

- the downfall of Wood is incredible
- Keith is playing is also just mediocre already since 94. Just listen to SF 2005/both days in excell. audience quality. Loud does not mean good.
- Jagger and Watts deliver. But Jagger goes for the safe line too with re. to the setlist, which is made by Chuck. Probably because he cannot rely on his guitar players? Keith does not show any interest in the setlist
- Both Keith and Jagger do not seem interested to dug into the vaults and come up with interesting releases for the real fans. No, release á complete bullshit Rarities instead.

A Las Vegas band, which delivered a decent recent album with ABB (no where near Exile as some claim here on the board) and which still can entertain many people.

But how many songs do you skip those days when listening to boots from this tour?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 24, 2006 14:00

I found a few Stones tracks played by Mathijs ex-band Flip The Switch at [www.timeisonourside.com]

Here below is the link to Start Me Up, It's Only Rock'n'roll, If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud, Don't Stop and Midnight Rambler.
The opening riff of IYCRM gives me goose bumps. It's both impressive and excellent if you ask me.
[home.tiscali.nl]

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 24, 2006 14:57

>A Las Vegas band, which delivered a decent recent album with ABB (no where near >Exile as some claim here on the board) and which still can entertain many >people.

I second that, Kees!

>But how many songs do you skip those days when listening to boots from this >tour?

mostly all! Until I came to 18th MSG which really shocked me! Not that the amp/pa was off when Keith started JJF or Satisfaction or even Mick didn't hit the right notes on his harmonica on Love Is Strong. Our hereos Keith and Ronnie are totally off the whole thing. Gimme Shelter? The name is program here, it's totally beside the track. Brown Sugar? That's what has been left over from a great guitar riff.

This gig alone is a reason to return all tickets for the upcoming European leg!

Posted by: JK ()
Date: January 24, 2006 15:18

Guys, It´s Only Rock´n´Roll....

:-)

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 24, 2006 15:25

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
Isn't Mathijis the guy who said that Darryl Jones
is "not jazzy" and "can't swing" ??

Well i totally agree with him and gimme shelter and many others. Darryl Jones is a awesome bass player no doubt about that but as gimme shelter stated, he doesn't fit in with the stones like Bill did.
Man did Bill swing. Listen to Handsome girls, Beast of Burden, When the Whip comes Down, Miss You and many others, they really swing on those numbers!!!!

ps. This is just a attempt to quit this stupid thread and talk about something else. Grow up people and let someone else have a different opion!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: January 24, 2006 15:45

I don't think that playing covers in their exact form has
nothing to do with playing good guitar really.
Use your inspiration and play your own songs or re-arrangements
with your own riffs and licks is...

Posted by: Auster ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:40

The Stones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found a few Stones tracks played by Mathijs
> ex-band Flip The Switch at
>
> Here below is the link to Start Me Up, It's Only
> Rock'n'roll, If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My
> Cloud, Don't Stop and Midnight Rambler.
> The opening riff of IYCRM gives me goose bumps.
> It's both impressive and excellent if you ask
> me.
>

I am surprised to hear how good he is/was. Of course that's only my humble opinion.

It would be nice to hear what can mr "WNY Stones" do with the guitar.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:45

That's not the point.
WNY Stones is just bashing Matthijs without any arguments who make sense.

Posted by: Auster ()
Date: January 24, 2006 16:51

kees Wrote:
> That's not the point.
> WNY Stones is just bashing Matthijs without any
> arguments who make sense.

Eh... somehow I do have noticed that winking smiley

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 24, 2006 17:29

shedooby Wrote:
> Use your inspiration and play your own songs or
> re-arrangements
> with your own riffs and licks is...

If only a band that I know used their inspiration to re-arrange their tunes...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: January 24, 2006 21:57

Im sorry, I must take issue with Mathijs on three points made:

You said:

1. In my opinion he has reached an all time low.

Fair enough, its your opinion...

2. He's just not capable anymore of playing even the most simple parts.

You are oh so wrong on this one my friend...

3. and he plays everything out of tune.

This one is just down wright absurd. Ive heard him go out of tune
on occasion but to say he plays everything out of tune is again wrong!

Hey listen, your entitled to your opinions and granted they have some merit but you have gone way overboard! Your starting to sound like a tabloid writer. Its stirs the pot and makes for good reading but in the end its just alot of trash...just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-24 22:01 by ohcarol.

Posted by: WNY Stones ()
Date: January 25, 2006 00:36

ohcarol Wrote:
> Im sorry, I must take issue with Mathijs on three
> points made:
>
> You said:
>
> 1. In my opinion he has reached an all time low.
>
> Fair enough, its your opinion...
>
> 2. He's just not capable anymore of playing even
> the most simple parts.
>
> You are oh so wrong on this one my friend...
>
> 3. and he plays everything out of tune.
>
> This one is just down wright absurd. Ive heard
> him go out of tune
> on occasion but to say he plays everything out
> of tune is again wrong!
>
> Hey listen, your entitled to your opinions and
> granted they have some merit but you have gone way
> overboard! Your starting to sound like a tabloid
> writer. Its stirs the pot and makes for good
> reading but in the end its just alot of
> trash...just my opinion.
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/24/06 22:01 by

> ohcarol.

I think Mathijs just wants attention. If Woodie is that bad he just wouldn't be playing with anybody. When Bobby Keys was messing up in the early 70's Mick got him austed for quite a long time. For this guyt to say he is better than Woody is a reason I would never have him in my band. can you imagine whats it's lkke to work with Mathijs? All you would hear all day is I, ME, MINE!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 25, 2006 00:58

A miracle somebody found the MP3 files from the Kurhaus, I didn't even know we still had them. Well, I enjoyed listening to Midnight Rambler again, it was a special show that day.

Anyways, you guys know my opinion by now. I do no not wish to discuss this any further with characters like Miss U., who in my opinion really needs profesional help, or with people like WNY Stones whom either are on this board for just a couple of days, or in fact created a special aliass to attack me, while not having any basic knowledge or any skills them self.

I love to see you all again in another thread for another good discussion.

Mathijs

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: January 25, 2006 01:10

And there he goes again....proved my point.

Doesn't matter if someone has skills, just be civilized and polite when sharing an opinion.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 25, 2006 01:15

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-25 01:17 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: January 25, 2006 03:56

Mathijs describes Ronnie as a horrible guitarist. From my ears i arrive at different conclusions, similar to what oh carol wrote. But it's OK, everyone has an opinion. Nobody can command the taste or the ears of another person. Mathijs describes a decadent band in the last years, as he wrote. My ears disagree once again. But wait a minute. Who Mathijs is saying this about the Stones of the last years? Mathijs #1 or Mathijs #2 ??

Mathijs went to Olympia in 2003. After the show he wrote: «All in all, this was my best ever Stones concert». If the Stones did something like that in a night of mediocre or bad Ronnie’s play, i suppose this band is a bit better than the group of mr Mathjis. A bit…
Mathijs went to Vradenbourg too. After the concert he wrote: «So, was this show better than Olympia? Absolutely». During Hand of Fate mr Mathjis heard “two perfect Wood solo's”. Also, as he wrote: “Ronnie he played the most beautiful and haunting slide i have ever heard of this man".
After Ahoy concert he wrote: “Two more shows to go: Vredenburg and Astoria, and i slowly start to have a feeling the Astoria show will be my last ever Stones show”.

So, Mathijs have finished with the Stones since 2003. Nothing wrong with it of course, that’s his business. But since his last concert (perhaps including this) he is obviously biased agaist the Stones, often denying himself. Saying during the tour and unsaying after it. Between the tours (Licks and ABcool smiley he wrote that Jagger is truly good ONLY on the soul tunes! Who? The singer of the band that a few months ago offered the two best shows Mathijs had ever seen! Yes, "only soul tunes". I remember that as if it was written yestarday...As you know, the lists of these shows were not composed of Ottis Redding and Wilson Pickett songs...

Mathijs have finished with the Stones. He don't need to give reasons for his attitude. He has the right to do what he want. It is not necessery to became a malicious guy saying to fans who like a Ronnie’s solo “you are deaf, blind and dumb”! His exaggerations against Ronnie and against the band are just vociferous. The main subject is not if Mathijs truly believes that nowadays he outplays Wood. The point is why Mathijs #2 seems so unhappy seing people who still appreciate his ex- favorite band. Perhaps Mathijs #1, pulling out Mathijs, knows the answer...

PS His unquestionable knowledge about music doesn't make his opinion "self-evident truth" of course. Ultimately in this planet there are a lot of musicians and guitarists who really appreciate the Stones of today. Including Mick and Ronnie, of course...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 25, 2006 08:44

Mathijs Wrote:
----
> I love to see you all again in another thread for
> another good discussion.
----

Another thread on another board.
Maybe you could find a hate Stones or hate Woody-board.
Stickydion says most of what I sense in this.

It will not be 1973 just because Ron is bashed or,
which wont happen, if he would leave.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: January 25, 2006 09:31

It's not the matter whether you like Ronnies' solos' or not. The fact is that Ronnies solos are often out of tune, or bad and uninspired, nowadays. But you can like his solos/playing, or you just can't, but that doesn't change the fact.

Ronnie does play a lot of good stuff also (that's also a fact: his slide playing or his fills/weaving). From what I've heard since the Licks tour Ronnie @#$%& up important solos during great songs (Worried About You, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, etc). I think some fans are a bit disappointed cause we know Wood can do so much better on his solos (we hope)!

Anyway... Can't we all just get along (Jack Nicholson -> Mars Attacks ;-) ) ?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 25, 2006 09:37

Ron is Ron. Cool dude. Love him.

Date: January 25, 2006 10:16

<It is not necessery to became a malicious guy saying to fans who like a Ronnie’s solo “you are deaf, blind and dumb”!>

You've got a point, but I think it hurts a bit for a guitar player to see one of your heroes decline, and struggle with elementary guitar ABC-stuff.

That being said, Wood still deliveres (in fragments only) tasteful stuff.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: January 25, 2006 10:23

some of you guys take criticism of the band a little bit too close to heart...

get over it, it's only personal opinions....

Esky

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 25, 2006 13:40

Muddyw Wrote:
> It's not the matter whether you like Ronnies'
> solos' or not. The fact is that Ronnies solos are
> often out of tune, or bad and uninspired,
> nowadays. But you can like his solos/playing, or
> you just can't, but that doesn't change the fact.
>
> Ronnie does play a lot of good stuff also (that's
> also a fact: his slide playing or his
> fills/weaving). From what I've heard since the
> Licks tour Ronnie @#$%& up important solos during
> great songs (Worried About You, You Can't Always
> Get What You Want, Can't You Hear Me Knocking,
> etc). I think some fans are a bit disappointed
> cause we know Wood can do so much better on his
> solos (we hope)!
>
> Anyway... Can't we all just get along (Jack
> Nicholson -> Mars Attacks ;-) ) ?

A very good post! Well written and IMHO very accurate.
>
>

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 25, 2006 14:07

The history of The Stones contrives of different periods, with different guitar players, bass players, keyboardplayers and most important for me, different feels to the whole game.

Mathijs doesn't like the current Stones, but the 1978-1983 Stones the best. So he is critical on Woody. So be it. To say he should find a Stones Hate Board (as suggested by Baboon Bro, one of my favourite iorr members btw) is ludicrous.

Lots of people love different Stones here. Then why personal attacks on on particular fellow Stones fan? I really think bv should put an end to this kind of threads.

cheers, e.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: January 25, 2006 14:18

I`m not allways agrees with his arguments, but i have respect for the man that he gives his own opinion about the way he listen to the stones.
For me he is on this board a person who knows allot about the sound and the guitars from the stones. And when you ask him for advice he allways replay, and give you a good answer about it.
It`s very low to bash about a person wich we only know from a forum, and not personaly.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 25, 2006 14:27

OK. How many times do I have to say this?

- It is not acceptable to discuss private individuals here

- I will not allow any "I hate Ronnie Wood" discussions here.
We have had at least 100 direct and undercover here,
and they will all be deleted. They don't add anything anymore.
But they are clearly offending to a lot of IORR visitors.

Enough is enough. If you don't understand that, and if you keep starting posts about Ronnie Wood or other posts which I understand clearly is in violation of this policy, then you will not be able to post on IORR anymore. Sorry I don't want to spend my time on cleaning up after people who don't know to control their keyboard, mouth and brain - whatever comes first and last. The same goes for people who want to test my patience regarding "I love Ronnie Wood" and similar stupid posts who clearly is made to eitrher tease irritate or offend or to pick up people who like a fight. Forget it. If you need a fight go to a bar and get drunk. And tell everyone the local football team sucks.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home