Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keys To You Love
Posted by: michrud ()
Date: January 20, 2006 14:49

Is Keith doin the solo in the middle part? Love the song

Re: Keys To You Love
Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:27

I like it too.
Has more "commercial potential" than most aBB IMO.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 20, 2006 15:33

By far the best of the four newer ones on 40 Lix. I don't have it here to hear but I recall that there is a typical Jaggerism in the 2nd or 3rd verse where he starts talking about the "word on the shkreet"

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 20, 2006 17:21

Great little soul tune. Nothing monumental, but warm in a way that seems very right for a retrospective album.

It's actually a very unusual song for the Stones/Jagger in that it seems very earnest and very loving.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 20, 2006 19:08

a latter era Beast of Burden - easily my favorite of their '02 songs. Save for SSMC, their best of the century so far...

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: January 20, 2006 22:10

Well...
Just to even things out a bit, grinning smiley, it sucks, as do the other 3 pointless new songs on FL, and can't even compare to most of ABB.

Date: January 20, 2006 23:29

Some Girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well...
> Just to even things out a bit, , it sucks, as do
> the other 3 pointless new songs on FL, and can't
> even compare to most of ABB.

"Most of "ABB'" is embarrassing nonsense that doesn't hold a candle to "Bridges."

"Rough Justice," "Let Me Down Slow," "Back Of My Hand," "Laugh," "Rain Fell Down" and maybe "Oh No, Not You Again" are worthwhile Stones tracks. The rest is forgettable at best and a disgrace at worst.

Twenty-five year old critics are praising the record because they don't have any idea how good the Stones have really been over the last two decades. No reason for anyone who posts to this board to be suckered in the same way...

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 20, 2006 23:33

My two cents is that ABB is great (with the exception of SOL). Don't Stop is a good but not great new song from 40 Licks, and the other three blow.

Date: January 21, 2006 02:27

Rev. Robert W. Wrote:
> Some Girl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well...
> > Just to even things out a bit, , it sucks, as
> do
> > the other 3 pointless new songs on FL, and
> can't
> > even compare to most of ABB.
>
>
> "Most of "ABB'" is embarrassing nonsense that
> doesn't hold a candle to "Bridges."
>
> "Rough Justice," "Let Me Down Slow," "Back Of My
> Hand," "Laugh," "Rain Fell Down" and maybe "Oh No,
> Not You Again" are worthwhile Stones tracks. The
> rest is forgettable at best and a disgrace at
> worst.
>
> Twenty-five year old critics are praising the
> record because they don't have any idea how good
> the Stones have really been over the last two
> decades. No reason for anyone who posts to this
> board to be suckered in the same way...
>

Get over yourself.

Seriously.

Date: January 21, 2006 02:43

I appreciate that advice. Seriously.

Not sure why you're the only one allowed to have an opinion.

Will you let me know how that came to be?

Date: January 21, 2006 03:24

My opinion is not based on telling anybody they are basically clueless for liking an album.

Date: January 21, 2006 03:35

Some Girl Wrote:
> Well...
> Just to even things out a bit, , it sucks, as do
> the other 3 pointless new songs on FL, and can't
> even compare to most of ABB.

If you want to throw out "sucks," "pointless" and "can't
even compare to most of ABB"...well that sounds like some pretty dismissive and disrespectful language to me

Are there more delicate terms that you would have me use in challenging your, ahem, "basically clueless" point of view?

Date: January 21, 2006 03:37

I think the songs SUCK yes. I didn't say you suck for liking them. If you want to tell me that I'm too young to "get" the early Stones (?!) and to realize that ABB sucks, yep I'll take offense to that.

Date: January 21, 2006 03:49

I don't have the faintest idea or interest in how old you are. I don't know what Stones records you like and I never wrote that you "sucked."

What I get--again--is that you can have your opinion, but if it is contradicted, well that must be a personal slight against you. And it must warrant insults...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 21, 2006 12:20

"Keys To Your Love" is a great ballad, one of the hidden Stones gems like "Sittin' on a Fence". Great emotions, great vocals of Mick Jagger and a wonderful solo of Keith. Rev. Robert W.: I'm Stones fan since '73 and ABB is the runner up to Exile in my opinion, ok.? I'm only waiting on the "Nothing but the blues" album.

Date: January 21, 2006 16:18

RobertJohnson Wrote:
> "Keys To Your Love" is a great ballad, one of the
> hidden Stones gems like "Sittin' on a Fence".
> Great emotions, great vocals of Mick Jagger and a
> wonderful solo of Keith. Rev. Robert W.: I'm
> Stones fan since '73 and ABB is the runner up to
> Exile in my opinion, ok.? I'm only waiting on the
> "Nothing but the blues" album.

Well, we agree on two-out-of-three topics, anyway--a blues record would be excellent. Yeah, "ABB" has a few very fine high points. And good for you (and for SomeGirl) for being enthusiastic, but "runner up to 'Exile'?"

Five or six top quality tracks out of sixteen? And listen to the filler: "Look What The Cat Dragged In?" "Neo Con?" "Dangerous Beauty?" Ugh. "Bridges" was a way better record--to say nothing of "Undercover," "Goat's Head," "Emotional Rescue," and "Black And Blue."

And "Tattoo You?!" And "Some Girls!?" The very weakest tracks on those records would be highlights on "ABB."

Hey, I get a big kick out of "Rough Justice" and "Let Me Down Slow," but wishing "ABB" was a great record does not make it so...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 21, 2006 17:20

I have a copy of 40 Licks but have never listened to it. I'll have to check these new songs out someday. Hearing "Don't Stop" on tv etc, I didn't like it -- bubblegum production -- but I thought it improved _a lot_ in concert. Became a demonstration in weaving.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: January 21, 2006 17:51

I very much like Keys to your love, mainly because of the vocals - the rest feels a bit like a demo to me. But Don't Stop has grown into a favourite, I just love the slick, sleazy sound, raspy vocals and the break. A classic.

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: January 21, 2006 18:06

I have always wondered why noone has ever said that Stealing My Heart is a great song...? I haven´t seen that, so sorry if someone have. It´s a song that has helped me out many times, great lyrics and a beautiful melody, and I just love the sound of it! It would be great to hear a demo of it, maybe there´s more raw guitars on that. But I really like it as it is on Forty Licks.

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Date: January 21, 2006 19:18

Yeah, I like the break in "Don't Stop"... "as tahterred as they're tah-orn"... sounds nice even if it doesn't quite make sense.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 23, 2006 22:16

Recording 40 Licks, there was no need in recording any filler. The approach must have been to go into the studio and do the best they could. Unfortunately, the approach seems to have been different with ABB, otherwise there wouldn't be any Cats Dragged In anywhere, nor would there be Sweet Neo-Cons or Streets Of Love, and Under the Radar wouldn't have gone Under the Radar, but would have been further refined.

Somehow, to my ears, Biggest Mistake and Let Me Down Slow sound a bit like they are from those Paris Licks sessions, like they are more a piece of the same cake as Don't Stop, Stealing My Heart and Keys To Your Love than say, Oh No Not You Again, Rough Justice, Look What the Cat Dragged In, It Won't Be Long, She Saw Me Coming, We Don't Wanna Go Home or Driving Too Fast.

Date: January 23, 2006 22:21

The problem with having those 4 songs on there, regardless of their quality, is that it ensures 40 Licks will _not_ be the definitive hits collection in the future, b/c 4 2002 songs are too many, even if any of them had become a hit, which they didn't. They'll just have to do another once they're finally through...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 23, 2006 22:52

It´s a bit too Simply Red´ish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home