Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Matt Clifford?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2014 16:10

After all, every commander needs his adjutant.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 9, 2014 17:22

varilla
He seems to be like a personal asistant to Mick.
He is everywhere with him. Like a Jane Rose

Nothing new, that "Vanity Fair" article from April (or February?) 1992 called him Mick's "musical aide de camp" when they were working on "Don't Tear Me Up" in the studio with a young James dancing in the control room, feels like a lifetime ago...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Lord of Dartford ()
Date: July 9, 2014 17:37

Re: Matt Clifford? new
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 9, 2014 16:02

You're right... but Jane is Keith's manager. You can compare him with Tony Russell.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: July 9, 2014 20:41

Lord of Dartford
Re: Matt Clifford? new
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 9, 2014 16:02

You're right... but Jane is Keith's manager. You can compare him with Tony Russell.

Not a very good comparison.
Unless Jane Rose plays the bongos on KR's albums and Tony R doubles as a producer.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2014 23:19

He is everywhere with him.... Like a Rolling Stone

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 9, 2014 23:38

Want to hear Chuck play great piano with the Stones? Put on "Fancy Man Blues." I'm not a fan of his live sound, but that's just my own taste. He could be great with the band. He has also played great organ on studio tracks like "Harlem Shuffle," "Tie You Up," "Undercover of the Night," "Feel On, Baby," and "Mixed Emotions." Sometimes you need to hear the extended mix to appreciate his contribution.

Matt plays very nice classical style piano. He's not the guy you would go to if you wanted to invoke Stu's spirit on "Fancy Man Blues," but he added a nice element on the 1989-90 live arrangements of "Play with Fire" and "2000 Light Years From Home." His classical and prog background made him a nice Brian substitute twenty years after the fact.

Despite what was stated in this thread, Chuck does not play at all on WANDERING SPIRIT. You're hearing Billy Preston or Benmont Tench and thinking it is Chuck. He did play SNL and Webster Hall with Mick, but he's not on the album. Other Stones fans have mistaknely believed Chuck or Matt toured with Mick in 1988 or played on PRIMITIVE COOL when neither was involved. Mick toured Japan with Phil Ashley and Richard Cottle and Australia with Phil Ashley and Susie Davis.

I suspect the confusion rests with the live sound of the band from 1989-2014. Longtime fans critical of that sound tend to blame Chuck and since the prototype for the modern live sound was Mick's 1988 tour, they associate Chuck or Matt with it. In truth, the arrangements the band has played since 1989 were the work of Jimmy Rip as can be verified on the box set of 1988 rehearsals. Have a listen to the 1988 rehearsal of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" and you'll realize it's what the Stones returned to 15 years later.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 9, 2014 23:47

Thanks Rocky. Well said.

Date: July 10, 2014 00:05

Rocky Dijon
Want to hear Chuck play great piano with the Stones? Put on "Fancy Man Blues." I'm not a fan of his live sound, but that's just my own taste. He could be great with the band. He has also played great organ on studio tracks like "Harlem Shuffle," "Tie You Up," "Undercover of the Night," "Feel On, Baby," and "Mixed Emotions." Sometimes you need to hear the extended mix to appreciate his contribution.

Matt plays very nice classical style piano. He's not the guy you would go to if you wanted to invoke Stu's spirit on "Fancy Man Blues," but he added a nice element on the 1989-90 live arrangements of "Play with Fire" and "2000 Light Years From Home." His classical and prog background made him a nice Brian substitute twenty years after the fact.

Despite what was stated in this thread, Chuck does not play at all on WANDERING SPIRIT. You're hearing Billy Preston or Benmont Tench and thinking it is Chuck. He did play SNL and Webster Hall with Mick, but he's not on the album. Other Stones fans have mistaknely believed Chuck or Matt toured with Mick in 1988 or played on PRIMITIVE COOL when neither was involved. Mick toured Japan with Phil Ashley and Richard Cottle and Australia with Phil Ashley and Susie Davis.

I suspect the confusion rests with the live sound of the band from 1989-2014. Longtime fans critical of that sound tend to blame Chuck and since the prototype for the modern live sound was Mick's 1988 tour, they associate Chuck or Matt with it. In truth, the arrangements the band has played since 1989 were the work of Jimmy Rip as can be verified on the box set of 1988 rehearsals. Have a listen to the 1988 rehearsal of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" and you'll realize it's what the Stones returned to 15 years later.

I've been stressing this, too. Chuck plays a great hammond, Rhodes and wurlie.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:32

Rockman
He is everywhere with him.... Like a Rolling Stone

...in other words, a sidekick. When I was in high school, my closest friend was the most popular singer in our school. When I would run into people off campus, they would say to me, "I know you, you're Stan's sidekick!" to which I would respond, "No, he's my sidekick".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 10, 2014 02:55

to which I would respond, "No, he's my sidekick".

AHHHHH good one Al....... you ole lime-light stealer ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 10, 2014 03:33

I wondered about that too. He's literally everywhere....
everywhere.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home