Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best CD releases of '72 soundboards?
Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: January 10, 2006 04:54

I'm a new collector, trying to track down the best CD releases of soundboard recordings from the '72 tour.

Recently I got the "Stones Touring Party" 7 CD set. I'm wondering if anyone has compared this set to other versions of the same shows (such as "Welcome to New York," "Philadelphia Special," and the soundtrack to "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones")? If so, what are your thoughts on which versions sound the best?

(For example, on "Stones Touring Party," the soundboard tracks from Madison Square Garden seem to have too much noise reduction. Has anyone heard a better version?)

Thanks y'all.

Re: Best CD releases of '72 soundboards?
Posted by: davido ()
Date: January 10, 2006 05:20

Overall, I think you've got the best all in one box set.
There's not a whole lot that can be done to fix up
the source tapes beyond a point, and Touring Party is
a very satisfying listen.

Date: January 10, 2006 10:55

Fort Worth has the best sound quality of that tour. Try the TMOQ release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-10 10:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 10, 2006 11:06

Will they ever remaster Ladies and Gentlemen? Go back to the master tapes, remix it for 5.1? I'm waiting for that day.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: January 10, 2006 12:11

>Will they ever remaster Ladies and Gentlemen? Go back to the master tapes, >remix it for 5.1? I'm waiting for that day.

as long as they can suck our money with their ticket prices you can wait forever on any real gems.

Date: January 10, 2006 12:40

<Will they ever remaster Ladies and Gentlemen? Go back to the master tapes, remix it for 5.1? I'm waiting for that day.>

Just sync the TMOQ-release with the movie, and you'll get excellent sound smiling smiley

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 10, 2006 15:06

The Fort Worth show is the best overall. Houston and Philly were also very good. NYC rocked hard.
For conoisseurs the Norfolk, Indianapolis,Tuscaloosa, Charlotte (especially) are the zenith of the tour.
Sister Morphine label has just put out several shows from 72. All in excellent quality IMO.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: January 10, 2006 17:22

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fort Worth has the best sound quality of that
> tour. Try the TMOQ release.
>

For the Fort Worth show on TMOQ, can you tell me the title of the CD? Thanks.

Date: January 10, 2006 17:25

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Sister Morphine label has just put out several
> shows from 72. All in excellent quality IMO.

Can you provide the title(s) of these Sister Morphine CDs? Thanks.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 10, 2006 18:22

IMO the best soundboard recording from '72 would be "You Can't Do That Baby" (VGP) -At least when it comes to sound quality...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 10, 2006 18:29

STP is correct.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: January 10, 2006 21:19

Live Unreleased decca tape. This would be in the record stores today if allen klein didnt threaten to sue the stones. Recorded in Philadelphia and Dallas in 1972. Kind of like a greatest of live 72. Songlist is in order of the general setlist of the day.

Date: January 10, 2006 22:13

<For the Fort Worth show on TMOQ, can you tell me the title of the CD? Thanks.>

Simply "Ladies And Gentlemen". The sound/performance is so good that I wonder if it is overdubbed? On Sweet Virginia we hear both the acoustic guitars loud and clear, and Mick Taylor does some marvellous runs that I never recognised on any other sound sources from these shows. Anybody with info on that?

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 11, 2006 01:23

"You Can´t Do That Baby" (VGP) - This is the Ladies & Gentlemen soundtrack

"Keep Your Motor Running" (VGP) - This is the unreleased live album. Some of these tracks have overdubs.

Both of these are excellent (quality and performance).

Stay away from the crappy "Unreleased Decca Live Album" CD. The material on this disc is available in better quality elsewhere (e.g. VGPs "Philadelphia Special" or the Rattlesnake box) and the title is VERY misleading: NONE of the tracks on that CD were supposed to be on the live album.

Date: January 11, 2006 02:47

Tornandfrayed Wrote:
> "You Can´t Do That Baby" (VGP) - This is the
> Ladies & Gentlemen soundtrack

I have the 4 Reel DVD of "Ladies and Gentlemen..." and I'd say the audio is decent, although it has some shortcomings -- the mix is almost mono, the speed is about 5% fast, and the whole thing sounds a bit processed (too much compression, plus an annoying ambient delay added in places). I'm not sure if these shortcomings were present in the mix for the original film, or if they were introduced during the conversion to the "5.1" mix for the DVD.

How does the "You Can´t Do That Baby" CD compare to the audio on the 4 Reel DVD?

Thanks again.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 11, 2006 11:36

"You Can't Do That Baby" is just perfect. Like "Handsome Girls" or whatever, it is absolutely perfect. Also released on the cheaper "Turn The Heat Up".
Erik.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: January 11, 2006 12:27

I have on vinyl "the great lost live album" which is TMOQ .The sound is really awesome so is the performance (Fort Worth ) but I don't think it's been overdubbed.
Don't know what's the title on CD .

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: January 11, 2006 14:50

WaterRats, first off "You Can't Do That" is excellent. You just can't go wrong with that one. IMO there are many very very good releases from that tour. They are all basically the same shows over and over. Once you get to a certain quailty level you're fine.
The SM titles are
Deuces Are Wild - Philly
Lonestar Shooters - Ft Worth
Gonna Bust Another Bottle - NYC 7/26
Cold English Blood Runs Hot - 7/25, this one is new and only on SM. The VGP by that smae title is something totally different.
Keep Your Motor Running - The Lost Live Album
Ladies And Gentlemen - Soundtrack

All these titles are so incredibly good. And it is thanks to the Stones who just smoked North America that summer.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: January 11, 2006 15:51

ShootsWaterRats Wrote:
> How does the "You Can´t Do That Baby" CD compare
> to the audio on the 4 Reel DVD?

You are right, the 4 Reels DVD is running too fast. Not only that but audio and video are out of sync most of the time. A poor production IMO.
The "You Can´t Do That Baby" bootleg sounds better and is running at the correct speed. It´s also MUCH better than the appropriate tracks on the Rattlesnake STP 1972 box.

> on "Stones Touring Party," the soundboard tracks from Madison Square Garden
> seem to have too much noise reduction. Has anyone heard a better version?

I have a near excellent vinyl > CDR version made from an original "Welcome To NY" TMOQ LP. It sounds better than all CD bootlegs I have heard of this source.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: January 11, 2006 18:48

on "Keep Your Motor Runnin" the opening chords to Brown Sugar sound like the guitar amp is right there in your room.......powerful...sounds great

Date: January 11, 2006 23:38

My appreciation to everyone who has offered their thoughts in this thread. It's been a big help.

I once read an interview with Mick Taylor in which he mentioned John Coltrane as a major influence. I think that's a great reference point when listening to Mick T's best playing with the Stones -- like Trane, he had such lyrical melodies, fluid phrasing, and rich tone. ...Something to ponder the next time you crank "Gimme Shelter" from Philly '72.

Thanks again, all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home