Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The 'mystery' Swiss gig....
Date: December 21, 2005 11:04

Does anyone have any idea/inkling/rumour as to where the Swiss gig pencilled in for the 5th August is going to be? Even if there is any indication if it will be on the Geneva/French side or the Zurich/German side of the country would be a help!!

I thank you.

Re: The 'mystery' Swiss gig....
Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: December 21, 2005 11:38

Goodnews doesn't want to say anything. They are still negotiating about the military airfield in Dübendorf, but I hope they are able to bring the show to a real stadium (Zürich, Bern, Basel, Geneva) or to the renewed Hallenstadion (Arena). But the last is probably wishful thinking.

Sjouke

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: December 21, 2005 12:45

This morning it was announced on Radio Zurichsee that it will be Dübendorf. It's an Military airfield outside Zurich.
Easy to reach via Highways and train

Date: December 21, 2005 12:53

Thanks Rockingfan........too bad it's not in the Geneva area as it would have made a much easier trip to link up with the Nice show!

Date: December 21, 2005 12:59

I agree with you, that's why I leave out Nice (it's anyway to a crowded concert)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 21, 2005 14:25

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Rockingfan........too bad it's not in the
> Geneva area as it would have made a much easier
> trip to link up with the Nice show!

I was thinking the same thing myself this morning as I could have flown with easyjet fly to Geneva that day and then on to Nice for the next concert!

Date: December 21, 2005 14:34

Well Gazza,
You can fly from Basel with EasyJet to Nice... Basel-Zürich is about one hour train. It's a small country...

Sjouke

Date: December 21, 2005 14:38

thanks Sjouke

yeah but I can only fly direct to Geneva from Belfast and then can fly from Geneva to Nice - its the Uk-Switzerland part of the journey thats the problem.

The fact that the show appears to be taking place somewhere outside a city is something of a drawback. Geneva would have been ideal.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 21, 2005 14:45

I have said it before. They treat concert goers like animals. Just find a flat field somewhere, put a large fence around it, run a million buses with people into there and serve them all sauerkraut plus a concert. And take their money. They have rules for how to treat animals, but not for treating people at rock shows. And people complain about bad sound in Amsterdam... Luxury problem. I don't mind seing shows at large fields but at least make sure there is proper transportation, food and facilities...

Bjornulf

Date: December 21, 2005 14:49

Yep..venues like that I'd personally avoid like the plague

However, could it be that the reason for using that site is simply that they can get more people into it?

With the Stones required guarantee for a show being so high, that would make those kind of decisions by promoters somewhat inevitable. I doubt its that important to the Stones where in the country the show takes place.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: December 21, 2005 17:22

Yup, will never do again any field shows...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 21, 2005 19:19

rknuth Wrote:
> Yup, will never do again any field shows...

Me too. My last "experience" was the "rocks all over the field"-field
in Oberhausen...

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: December 21, 2005 21:53

Read my news comment.
It seems they will do something similar to Stuttgart in 99 which I thought was a pain in the neck. We were sitting miles away couldn't really see the stage or screen and the best was the bootleg as I realized it would have been an ideal set list for a arena show

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 22, 2005 11:09

Gazza Wrote:
> Yep..venues like that I'd personally avoid like the plague

Does this mean I won't be able to greet you at the Phoenix Park show?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 22, 2005 11:12

If you're going to Horsens you'll have to get used to the big field concerts.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 22, 2005 11:18

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> If you're going to Horsens you'll have to get used to the big field concerts.

I'm not going to Horsens.

Date: December 22, 2005 11:19

I just meant in general. A shame that you're not coming though.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 22, 2005 11:21

I'm sending some "representatives" to Horsens though smiling smiley

Date: December 22, 2005 11:26

Yeah. Ville and some other Vikings I hear. They have FOS like me. It's gonna be great. Tell them to look for that guy going bananas down in front and in the center of the FOS. That's me. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: December 22, 2005 11:50

erikjjf Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yep..venues like that I'd personally avoid
> like the plague
>
> Does this mean I won't be able to greet you at the
> Phoenix Park show?

regrettably, so. I toyed with the idea of Phoenix Park simply because its only 2 hours away and as long as I could get home the same night as I was going to London a couple of days later, but when 4th row Glasgow tickets came up for £60 and I was given a choice, the appeal of standing in a field full of drunks a mile away from the stage diminished as rapidly as a chart run for "Rarities".

Stadiums dont appeal to me any more and fields dont appeal to me at all. However, stadiums it has to be this time - but less than usual - as I've no alternative. Not paying more than £90 a ticket, though.

However, you may 'greet' me in Nice, Berlin or London!

Date: December 22, 2005 11:51

It is kind of two sides to it. Once you are there, after having been sweating your way through trains, bus transportation, walking and messing around for two hours to find your right entrance, you are finally inside, after hours of queuing with thousands opf others. Then you get the greatest rock show in the world. I have got that at many field shows. Zeltweg. Werchter. Mannheim. Hockenheim. And so on. The show itself is often great. But all that hazzle before and after. Queuing. Sweating. I mean I can handle it. But why don't they just run two shows in Basel? Do they have to torture us?

I guess this is the price we have to pay - literally, because the shows are up for bits. It is either 150 Euro at a small stadium nice and easy inside the city center, or 90 Euro far away on an airfield because somebody have to pay the cost of the party. So people spend 60 Euro on food and transportation and suffer and think they were smart getting a cheap ticket to a Stones show. No. Give me the real show at a real venue. Fields are for airplanes and farmers. Not for people.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: December 22, 2005 12:51

Dübendorf Militärflughafen "field" is next to Zurich, next village from the "city boarder". For me it's still in Zurich, in area called Greater Zurich. The only problem I see, is transporation from station Dübendorf or station Stettbach (Zurich - where you even have connections to whole Switzerland) to the field. You can even walk, but I guess it would take 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour.

@BV: And thanks for the "sauerkraut" .......It's not a Swiss speciality...wrong country. "Fondue" would be.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-22 12:52 by mariannerl.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 22, 2005 13:05

"Fields are for airplanes and farmers. Not for people." BV

Yep. Fair enough

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: December 22, 2005 13:45

What about the Opera House? Would that be comfortable enough? LOL

Date: December 22, 2005 14:14

Sure I know sauerkraut is a German speciality. But I got it in Werchter Leuven outside Brussels too. Which is a Flamish spoken area I think. Had tons of it at the concert site before I realized the complications in 1995. So after that I do it only in small doses before shows. Majones in the Netherlands. Pretzels in USA. May be lefse in Bergen? Nice little things that makes you know where you are...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-22 17:43 by bv.

Date: December 22, 2005 14:26

So, is Dübendorf (of all places) finally confirmed??? I didn't hear anything so far.

Sjouke

Date: December 22, 2005 14:40

This is what I wrote yesterday, see underneath.
Björnulf I don't see any 90 Euro tickets for the Swiss show I am pretty show that tickets will be CHF 200 (about 130 Euros atleast) despite the fact of the Airfield.
I wrote a thousand times to Good News and begged for Hallenstadion. The answer was the stage is to big. So you know how much these people know about the Stones.

They also wrote in the Newspaper that the Stonesmanagement have to agree and then everyhing should be set by February 06.

The local Newspapers around Zurcher Oberland did confirm on the first page that the communities would like to have the Stones concert on the military airfield in Dübendorf. According to the report it will be around 60000 people. They will build seated areas (e-mail from Goodnews Swiss Promoter to me a couple of days ago) As final agreements have to be made it will take until February for the final confirmation (It's our swiss slowness and to ensure that everything works perfectly, makes me insane...)

So far no ticketprices or any other direct information for the concert have been published. Also under Goodnews or Ticketcorner you will not find anything.

I'll keep you updated if possible

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: December 22, 2005 16:42

BV, do you mean Leuven instead of Leiden? And yes indeed, Flamish part.

Date: December 22, 2005 17:45

Sure I mean Leuven Belgium. The beer city. Stella Artois home. And Interbrew. Who own Becks and almost every other beer we drink these days. My fingers were faster than my brain - a typo. And I do often stay in Leiden Netherlands, great and nice city with easy train access to any place in the Netherlands.

Bjornulf

Date: December 22, 2005 17:48

It is true that the stage is too big for some of the venues around. In USA they had to use mobile lifts to get all of the stage inside. I don't know if they will do that all over Europe. It is quite an expensive operation. That is one reason why they do outdoor shows rather than inside a venue.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home