Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : guitar question
Posted by: somesmerized ()
Date: December 14, 2005 18:34

Hi guys,

I'm about to get myself a new one (the fisrt in eleven years !!!), and I'm soooo excited, but also really confused. I'm hesitating between :

Epiphone Dot
Strat Mexico
Tele Mexico

What should I buy ?

I already have a Gibson SG, so maybe I'm thinking maybe I should go Fender ? But I don't know what's the best buy in that price range (300-500 USD)... Other suggestions are welcome too...

And the best holiday time to you all, it's been a pleasure discovering this stones community, and exchanging with you guys about all sorts of topics !

J-M

Re: OT : guitar question
Posted by: bruno ()
Date: December 14, 2005 18:40

Maybe my advice isn't very helpful, but after the reviews I've read I'd rather look after a second hand US made or a japanese made Fender rather than a new mexican one.

If you already have an SG, I'd go for the Tele, then.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 14, 2005 18:40

For that price G&L (Fender's guitars after ... Fender) "tribute" series are far better (craftmenship and sound) than any mexican tele/start model- I would go for one of those.

If you want fender or nothing, the mexican tele highway 1 despite the shitty coating is not too bad ... I tried one that was even better than the avarage american standard.

I know you know already, but with these guitars you have to try 100 to find a good one!

C

Posted by: somesmerized ()
Date: December 14, 2005 18:42

I didn't know actually :0) I forgot to mention I'm a lefty.

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: December 14, 2005 19:23

used (no longer in production) Hamer Daytona (Strat type) is an exceptional value. Some of the "used" ones on ebay are like new
G&L Strat & Tele type guitars (new & used) also best quality for the buck

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 14, 2005 19:32

If you are looking for versatility in sound then the Strat would be the way to go I think. As to Mexican Fenders not being up to par with their American and Japanese counterparts that is generally true but the short comings are easily remedied by replacing the pots and swtich with higher quality components. My MIM Tele was great after that!

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: December 14, 2005 19:56

I have the Epiphone Dot, and it works great for me.

Posted by: Douwe334 ()
Date: December 14, 2005 20:20

I've got an upgrated Epiphone Sheraton 2 whith seymour duncan APH-1 alnico II pro pickups.. the sound of the epiphone pickups are terrible.. now it's great.. so if you choose the Dot i recommend to replace the pickups..

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 15, 2005 05:07

Buy a Fender Telecaster if you already have an SG. I have two Telecasters,a 1977 Strat, Danelectro 56U2 and a Gibson Les Paul. I have a Mexican Telecaster and it sounds every bit as good as my American Strat. $350-400 and you are an owner. If you can afford an American Tele, buy it. By the way, I am a lefty!

Posted by: stonesncrowes ()
Date: December 15, 2005 05:34

I'm a lefty as well and I have a Dean Avalanche MQ. It looks almost identical to a strat with a different headstock of course but it's got a bridge humbucker so I can get a good clean strat sound or a nice raunchy Les Paul sound.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 15, 2005 05:39

Go to the store and try all three. Pick the one that you feel most comfortable with regarding both the sound and the way you play it.

*Never* buy a guitar without trying it out first.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: December 15, 2005 08:33

I have a 1985 Jap Esquire that I put a hot wound Fender Texas Special neck pickup in. I have a 95 custom and I have a 04 Mexican 72 reissue. They all have great sound, action and the same feel as an American. The only difference is that my 85 Jap model hs rosewood fretboard and is very light compared to the other 2. The parts in the Mexicans are practically the same, shipped across the border where low payed Mexicans assemble them.

Milo, NYC
It's off the hook

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 15, 2005 11:46

Check out the Gibson Les Paul Double Cut on the www.gibson.com

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: December 16, 2005 10:04

Since you already have a Gibson, I would recommend a Fender. I have a vintage Les Paul, Tele, and Strat. If I could only keep one, I would have to chose the Strat due to the versatilty (from county twang to drop D grind to shreddin' sparks) it can do it all. You can pick up a used late 90's U.S. Strat in good condition for around $600-700 U.S. Frankly, I wouldn't play anything but a U.S. model.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: December 16, 2005 10:11

And as Koen said, NEVER buy without playing it first.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2005 10:48

At the moment, Japanese Fenders are way better quality than American and Mexican made Fenders. The wood used, the woodwork, the finishing of Japanese Fenders is unsurpassed by any other Fender. And, Japanese Fenders are half the price of US Fenders.

Mathijs

Date: December 16, 2005 11:20

<Epiphone Dot
Strat Mexico
Tele Mexico>

Look for a used japanese Squier Stratocaster from the early/mid 80s instead. The guitars they built at that time were solid and very good. I have a mexican strat and a Japanese tele (newer), but the 1984 Strat from Squier is my favourite.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 16, 2005 11:58

I've got a Mexican tele and there is nothing wrong with it. It's a great guitar - 72 custom. I did have to try out about 5 in different shops before I bought this one though so my advice is to try out as many as possible. I think the biggest difference between Mexican and USA Fenders is quality control - the USA ones are always good quality but the Mex ones vary somewhat. I would prefer a USA but didn't have the budget, like you. Ignore all the snobs and get something that does the job for you. I've had it for about 4 years now and I'm thinking of replacing the pickups, but that's all.

I also have an Epiphone Sheriton which I bought second hand about ten years ago. I replaced the pickups about 2 years ago with Kent Armstrong pickups (recommended) and it now sounds supurb. The original pickups were horrible and you got alot of feedback (which I temporarily fixed by dripping wax into the pickups). However, this guitar now has much more bite to it.

Posted by: Cardinal Fang ()
Date: December 16, 2005 12:12

Go with a Japanese Fender Strat or Tele. I have several of them and I like them better than most of my USA Strats and all of my Teles. You can STILL get a used mid-to late 1980's model with hard case from Japan for around $350 in any major used music store on the west coast. (usa)

The epiphone dot is not really going to give you that many more sounds than you can already get from your SG, IMHO.

Later, Cardinal Fang

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 16, 2005 18:24

Cardinal Fang! How's the Inquisition going? I agree with your assesment of Japanese Fenders but which shops in California are carrying them, used or otherwise? I've been to almost every shop in the Bay Area and haven't seen any. In fact, I haven'tseen any in years.

Jed, what year vintage Gibson and Fenders do you have? I'm curious! Details if you please!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home