Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Glendale AZ show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Date: May 8, 2024 21:52

I was disappointed they dropped GOOMC and replaced it with Only RNR. She's so cold was nice to hear.

Mess it up was better than in Houston but it still needs some work.

They need to drop Beast of Burden. This doesn't go over as well as prior versions.

Monkey Man was my song vote and I was happy to hear it.

Glendale AZ - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 8, 2024 21:52

Time is still on Mick Jagger's side as the Rolling Stones thrash State Farm Stadium

Ed Masley
May 8, 2024

Could there be a human being better suited to performing “Time Is on My Side” in 2024 than Mick Jagger at 80?

To be clear, the Rolling Stones did not include that gospel-flavored classic in the set they played at State Farm Stadium in Glendale on Tuesday, May 7.

But watching Jagger do what Jagger does for nearly two hours in metro Phoenix so soon after seeing those videos of him leading the Stones through “Time Is on My Side” just five days earlier as a duet with Irma Thomas at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival?

You couldn’t help but marvel at the age-defying essence of what Jagger brings to a performance.

Mick Jagger was in total command at the Stones' Phoenix concert

It went beyond the sheer perpetual motion of it all. Yes, he rarely stopped moving. And there's a world of singers less than half his age who couldn't hope to match the energy he brought to State Farm Stadium.

But there’s an undeniable agility to what he does, an athleticism and a grace that invites you to imagine Mikhail Baryshnikov raised by a family of overcaffeinated roosters.

That side-to-side motion he does with his feet? The graceful swiveling of those hips that have been swiveling since the very early ‘60s? The youthful exuberance with which he glides and struts and sometimes even runs across a massive stage?

There was even a magical moment in the encore as the Stones were bringing “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” to a fevered pitch that he dropped to his knees as though he might channeling a young James Brown — at 80.

He got so into it on "Satisfaction," Keith Richards couldn't stop grinning.

The man was in total command of the stage from the time his bandmates found their footing after staggering into a looser-limbed-than-usual “Start Me Up” to the glorious pileup of iconic hits that brought their set to a breathless climax through the encore-closing “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

The Rolling Stones thrive on rawness and reckless abandon

By the second song, “It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll (But I Like It),” the Rolling Stones were firing on all cylinders.

It wasn’t always pretty. And it damn sure wasn’t perfect. But the Rolling Stones have done as much as anyone to help define a rock ‘n’ roll aesthetic that thrives on the rawness and reckless abandon at the heart of what they do.

This is especially true of the guitars.

Founding member Richards and kindred spirit Ronnie Wood, who started playing with the Stones while still a member of the Faces in 1975, are essentially flip sides of the same Chuck Berry 45. They spent the night dialing up some of the raunchiest guitar sounds you could ever hope to hear, the volume just too loud enough.

Their guitar work was scrappy and soulful and ragged and real and all those other underrated qualities that make for an exciting night of rock 'n' roll, the kind of night the Rolling Stones have always been so brilliant at delivering.

And it was to great to see them having such a good time, Richards grinning ear to ear in his red knit cap and Wood engaging in the sort of loopy onstage antics that made him such a perfect onstage foil for Richards when he joined the fold back in the '70s.

Here's the Rolling Stones 2024 lineup

This was Rolling Stones’ first time in metro Phoenix since the loss of founding member Charlie Watts, who died in 2021 after encouraging his bandmates to bring in Steve Jordan on drums to finish the No Filter Tour without him when he got too sick to carry on.

Jordan has been touring with them ever since and it’s easy to see why Watts thought he was the right man for the job.

He and Darryl Jones, their touring bassist since Bill Wyman left the group in 1993, are a commanding rhythm section, a point made abundantly clear on a hard-grooving version of “Miss You” that featured a jaw-dropping solo from Jones.

Rounding out their touring band are keyboard player Chuck Leavell; Bernard Fowler on backing vocals and percussion; Matt Clifford on keyboard and the French horn on “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”; saxophonists Karl Denson and Tim Reis; and backing vocalist Chanel Haynes, who joined the fold in 2022 and stepped into the spotlight with her awe-inspiring vocal turn on “Gimme Shelter.”

They’re all extremely talented musicians more than capable of following the Stones through a variety of musical aesthetics, from the classic boogie-woogie groove of “Tumbling Dice” to the disco moves of “Miss You,” the Latin percussion of “Sympathy for the Devil,” the rock ‘n’ roll swagger of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and the soulful splendor of “Gimme Shelter” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

'Hackney Diamonds' is Rolling Stones' 1st new album in nearly 20 years

The Stones are touring in support of “Hackney Diamonds,” their first album of original material in nearly 20 years. A lot of critics have called it their best release since “Tattoo You” in 1981 or even “Some Girls” three years earlier. And it’s easy to hear why those critics would say that.

It’s kind of amazing that a group that’s been around for more than 60 years could still be operating on that level, much less sound so vital.

They only played three songs from “Hackney Diamonds,” but all three more than held their own against the staples fans had come to hear, from the slashing guitar riffs and snarling lead vocals of “Angry” to the disco-flavored “Mess It Up” and the smoldering gospel of “Sweet Sounds of Heaven,” a ballad they boldly held back to open the encore that featured another soulful show of force from Haynes.

“Sweet Sounds of Heaven” also boasted one of Jagger’s strongest vocals of the night. And there were many strong contenders for that title, from the soulful conviction with which he delivered “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” to the excitement he brought to the end of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

He may have flubbed the occasional lyric, and there were some notes he didn’t try to hit. But overall, Jagger’s vocal performance was as age-defying as his movements.

Other highlights ranged from “She’s So Cold,” a song that hadn’t made a setlist since 2019, to Keith Richards taking a turn in the vocal spotlight on “Little T&A” (a song he introduced as “She’s My Little Rock & Roll” after telling the crowd, “It’s good to be here; it’s good to be anywhere”) and “Monkey Man,” which won the online fan vote.

World's greatest rock 'n' roll band? That seems right

It was all great, though. How many bands could even hope to bring a set to a climax by stringing together a series of songs as iconic as “Sympathy for the Devil,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Miss You,” “Gimme Shelter,” “Paint It, Black” and “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”?

If you want to be known as the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band, that’s one way to do it.

As they were nearing the end of their set, after “Honky Tonk Women,” Jagger did some reminiscing.

“My goodness, this is our 11th show in Arizona,” he said. “Isn’t that something? I want to thank you so much for coming back to see us. You know, my favorite show in Arizona was in 1997 when we accidentally set fire to the Sun Devil Stadium.”

Then, after “Miss You,” he told the crowd, “We’re gonna go out to Valley Bar after, OK? So you can join us there.”

Having gone to Valley Bar and hung around until it closed at 2 a.m., I can assure you, he was joking.

By the time they signed off with a raucous thrill ride through an epic “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” Tuesday night at State Farm Stadium was everything a Stones fan could’ve hoped for, the quintessential rock ‘n’ roll survivors still going strong after 62 years, invigorated by their new music.

[www.azcentral.com]

Glendale AZ - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 8, 2024 21:53

Rolling Stones continue to perform at a high level and Mick Jagger still has the moves

Doug Pullen Special to the Times
May 8, 2024

Glendale, AZ — A wise 77-year-old once revealed her secret to a lean, athletic body. “You’ve got to move,” she said. Like Jagger? No one does that.

Still lithe and limber at 80, Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger still has the moves. He led the Stones and their supporting cast through a defiantly energetic, hit-filled two-hour 18-song blowout before more than 40,000 people Tuesday, May 7, night at State Farm Stadium, home of the NFL’s Arizona Cardinals. It was the third stop on a 16-city, 19-show run across North America called the Hackney Diamonds ’24 Tour that ends July 7.

The Stones play in Las Vegas this weekend and have a concert planned in Denver on June 20. The band opened the tour in Houston on April 28.

It's fitting that the Stones continue to perform at such a high level in a building made for sports. What Jagger does on stage is as athletic as it is musical — and it’s one helluva workout. He doesn’t just sing, plead, growl, joke, moan, wail, and lead singalongs of warhorses such as “Honky Tonk Women,” “Tumbling Dice,” “Miss You” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” He runs, walks, skips, undulates, and grinds from one end of the massive stage to another, frequently venturing down a lengthy catwalk to the middle of the floor seating.

'Look what I can do'

Jagger never looked out of breath, though he frequently sipped from a water bottle and grabbed a tissue or two. He was in strong voice and was so aware of how extraordinary it is to do what he’s doing that he feigned exhaustion during the final verse of show closer “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” staggering, then falling to his knees James Brown-style as if to say, “Look what I can do.”

Jagger continues to defy the laws of physics, logic, time, gravity, and God knows what else as the band that coalesced in the clubs of London in 1962 continues to move forward. The singer, guitarist/cofounder Keith Richards (also 80), and 76-year-old guitarist Ron Wood (who joined in 1975) have become rock ‘n’ roll’s leathery equivalent of the old blues masters the young Stones once emulated. They’ll probably play until they die.

Of course, it took the death of longtime drummer Charlie Watts in 2021 to light a creative fire that resulted in last year’s surprisingly urgent Hackney Diamonds, their first album of new songs in 18 years. Watts was never mentioned from the stage Tuesday night, as he was on their first two tours without his familiar grace and swing, but his presence is all over one of the new songs that was a highlight in Arizona.

3 new songs performed

The gospel-flavored “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” confronts mortality and includes the telling line, “Let the old still believe/That they’re young, yeah.” It was one of three new songs performed Tuesday. The others, “Angry” and “Mess It Up,” had more of a funk feel, with drummer Steve Jordan, who brings an on-the-beat punch to the band, and longtime bassist Darryl Jones providing the rhythmic muscle.

“Sweet Sounds of Heaven” is a concert staple in the making, the first of a two-song encore and one of two showcases for former Trin-i-tee 5:7 gospel singer Chanel Haynes, who got fired from London’s The Tina Turner Musical after subbing for a Stones backup singer in Italy in 2022. Haynes is a vocal powerhouse who employed some visual and vocal Turner-isms during her high-watt call-and-response with Jagger on “Gimme Shelter.”

Tuesday’s show also dusted off a rousing “It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll,” a former Stones concert staple, and the unfortunate return of “She’s So Cold,” which had punch but little heat. The so-called “vote song,” in which ticket holders’ email in their choice of one of four songs, was a dynamic version of “Monkey Man,” a former Let It Bleed obscurity brought to life on 1994’s Voodoo Lounge tour.

Richards unsung hero

The unsung hero of Tuesday’s show was guitarist Richards, who recently has been portrayed online by some hardcore fans as somewhat diminished. He was more focused and less bombastic than normal, not unusual early in a tour, but Richards stepped up big time, reeling off several propulsive signature rhythm riffs and bluesy solos, so much so that Wood, who usually does most of the heavy lifting, took more of a backseat.

The Stones don’t take many chances with their set list, but their choice of opening acts was more daring. Mexican regional singer Carin Leon was a bold choice, but his mostly medium-tempo set was lost in the vast stadium environment. San Diego’s Electric Mud takes its name from a Muddy Waters album (the Stones took theirs from a Muddy Waters’ song) and includes two of Richards’ nephews, one a former Navy Seal. They had the will, but not the material.

People weren’t there to see the opening acts. They were there to see the Rolling Stones. It’s true. Time isn’t on their side anymore. But they’re still moving, impressively, while they can.

[www.elpasotimes.com]

Re: Glendale AZ show live updates - Tuesday May 7, 2024 - The Rolling Stones Hackney Diamonds Tour
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 8, 2024 22:36

Irix
ProfessorWolf

some photos of ronnie backstage from facebook

But note when posting such large images, not everyone is sitting in front of a 32" screen with 8K resolution - or won't scroll eternally .... better post the large version behind an additional link.

And it's "useless" just to copy the image address from FB or IG here since their image-URLs have a time limitation. In some days your picture will look like this - [iorr.org] .

ok noted

sorry

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 8, 2024 22:38

Just watched Angry on Youtube filmed by Benoit BP.

So much better here! Mick, Keith and even Ronnie doing backup vovals. Great fun to watch. Great fun to watch, good show!

Monkey Man in this version works also very well, hick-up or not, when Keith stops at 2:40 it works! Happy accident? Also the bass only part worked.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 8, 2024 22:47

barbabang

So much better here! Mick, Keith and even Ronnie doing backup vovals. Great fun to watch. Great fun to watch, good show!

Monkey Man in this version works also very well, hick-up or not, when Keith stops at 2:40 it works! Happy accident? Also the bass only part worked.

That's Angry from the first show in Houston.

Date: May 8, 2024 22:48

a close up video of little t&a

miss you

jjf

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 23:01

Sad, sad, sad set list. Wayyyy too many warhorses. And popping She's So Cold into the set when you have a great new album and dozens and dozens of MUCH better songs?

Date: May 8, 2024 23:06

The teleprompter seems to put Keith off, he'd do better to learn the lines because he's struggling to read it and keep time.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: May 8, 2024 23:12

buffalo7478
Sad, sad, sad set list. Wayyyy too many warhorses. And popping She's So Cold into the set when you have a great new album and dozens and dozens of MUCH better songs?

Keep on moanin’. I guess that setlist was more than good enough for the people who were there.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 8, 2024 23:28

keefriffhards
barbabang

That's Angry from the first show in Houston.

Great version to hear live from Houston. Thanks for correcting me keefriffhard. Sounds fresh.

Thank you Benoit

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 8, 2024 23:40

JN99
falo01
ProfessorWolf
another video of monkey man

Interesting "guitar break" at 2:40 for about 20sec.
Accidentally or by purpose? Sounds interesting....

That's Keith completely missing his queue or otherwise not being ready or able to play the riffs there. For anyone who says he's nailing a solo or playing great, I'm not sure what you're seeing or hearing…

It sounds quite deliberate to me - a little bass showcase. I dig it thumbs up

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: May 9, 2024 00:12

It may have been deliberate but sad all the same. So he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff. Keith's playing is pretty bad and it's terribly sad to me. He just cannot play much of anything anymore and he needs time to process what he's trying to do, or wants to do, and you just can't do that live. You can see it in any solo he attempts. There's no flow anymore, just a lick, often in the wrong key or with bum or not very good note choices, then a pause for a bar or two, then another lick or perhaps a few strung together but it's all very musically incoherent.

And gone completely is his signature rhythm playing, when he would effortlessly dance between rhythm and lead, mixing chords and licks and fills, and trading lines with Ronnie. That ancient art of guitar weaving just isn't there now. sad smiley

Date: May 9, 2024 00:27

JN99
It may have been deliberate but sad all the same. So he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff. Keith's playing is pretty bad and it's terribly sad to me. He just cannot play much of anything anymore and he needs time to process what he's trying to do, or wants to do, and you just can't do that live. You can see it in any solo he attempts. There's no flow anymore, just a lick, often in the wrong key or with bum or not very good note choices, then a pause for a bar or two, then another lick or perhaps a few strung together but it's all very musically incoherent.

And gone completely is his signature rhythm playing, when he would effortlessly dance between rhythm and lead, mixing chords and licks and fills, and trading lines with Ronnie. That ancient art of guitar weaving just isn't there now. sad smiley

A two year lay off was way too long for 80-year old Keith, he seems to lack confidence but he's getting there, he's plugging away and might get back to where he was in 22' by show number 7 hopefully.

Posted by: harald2002 ()
Date: May 9, 2024 00:29

To all these people who only criticize here: it was a great show yesterday. I don't care what you think Keith is doing wrong or what the setlist is like. We should always remember one thing: it's the biggest band in the world playing here. All the members are around 80 years old. Are you at the concert to criticize the concert afterwards? Or are you at the concert to have fun and enjoy this unique and extraordinary opportunity?

Date: May 9, 2024 00:40

keith's playing isn't any worst then it's been for the last ten years or so on average

some shows are better for him then others

and there's still some weaving on jjf

it is what it is he's 80

if you think your sad now imagine how sad you'll be when he isn't here at all anymore

nobody's forcing him onstage it's not like he needs the money

he's clearly doing what he wants to do and enjoing himself

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: May 9, 2024 01:07

IORR is a Keith showcase of lead and rhythm guitar, good job, nice ending solo. Dissatisfaction about Keith's playing seemes uncalled for. I like that he's louder in the mix since opening night and more distorted in general.

Posted by: agu82 ()
Date: May 9, 2024 02:03

Full show

video: [youtu.be]

Thanks George Garcia

Date: May 9, 2024 02:03

htw

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 9, 2024 03:18

After a grueling 5 1/2 hour drive to Glendale, I was impressed by how organized the early access was handled. 3 lines, one for pit A, one for pit B and one for rear GA. I didn’t realize they had early access tix for the rear GA. I stood for a mere 9 hours, but it was totally worth it. Yes, there were flubs by Keith and by Mick, and the sound in pit A was bad until someone adjusted something right before Keith’s number, and then the sound was good. Overall, I didn’t hear much from the audience. I was singing and dancing the whole time, but most people were standing still holding their phones filming every song. One of the downsides of cell phones. I’m there to watch and listen to the band, not to make videos. People loved Chanel on GS. As for the set list, everyone has their own favorites. I voted for Monkeyman. I missed MR, one of my favorite live songs, but I figured they wouldn’t play it. After, I was exhausted and the 5 1/2 hour drive back home today was tedious. And I get to do it all again this weekend in Vegas. How lucky are we Stones fans?

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 9, 2024 05:11

I just finished watching the full show on YouTube, thanks to George Garcia. It's still amazing to me that I'm able to see a whole show for free in less than 24 hours. Back in the day I would pay a lot of money for terrible sounding bootlegs!

Anyway, they certainly killed it on Satisfaction. Mick is pretty astounding. If I went to my knees like that, I'd need a couple of guys to help me get back up. But seriously imho he's singing great all the way through. Monkey Man, Miss You, and Sweet Sounds Of Heaven, were also top notch.

I love She's So Cold, but I feel there's something subtle about the album version that they can't quite capture live.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2024 05:40

JN99

A part of what you say is true - the solos - but it's been that way since 1969.

Keith always played the riffage in Monkey Man. No idea where you get the idea of lead.

You're absurd.

They perform a song differently from previous tours and "he decided not to take the lead there and play an iconic Keith guitar riff"?

And whatever other crap you ramble about.

He flubs the riff for Start Me Up many times yet this performance deems him essentially incapable of being a guitar player.

Get back on your meds.

I listened to it. It was perfectly fine. You're just spewing fake news.

Complete garbage.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 9, 2024 05:44

I think She’s So Cold is hard to sing because of the repetitive lyrics. It felt to me like Mick was tired of singing the same words over and over and over. But I enjoyed the song nonetheless.

Keith’s nephews weren’t bad. They were very well received, I think. Carin Leon on the other hand, was putting a lot of folks to sleep. His set seemed phenomenally long.

The audience was a bit subdued for the Stones (which I attribute in part to videoing), but the audience really came alive for Honky Tonk Woman, Miss You, JJ Flash and Satisfaction. So those war horses are important for that reason alone. Those are the songs that get everybody up on their feet.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2024 06:21

Love hearing the rumbling sound of a stadium and those three videos (She's So Cold) capture it perfectly.

Somehow Keith almost clammed Start Me Up again. WTF.

It's not an age thing, it's a Keith thing.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 9, 2024 06:22

I noticed in She's So Cold they included the "...when you're old..." lyric which seems to have been missing from past versions I've seen. Could be wrong, though.

Posted by: Pvk2 ()
Date: May 9, 2024 07:30

Amazing show. Here’s opening from Opening. Start Me UpPit B

Date: May 9, 2024 07:31

video: [youtu.be]
Opening - Start Me Up, Phoenix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 07:32 by Pvk2.

Date: May 9, 2024 07:34

video: [youtube.com]
Its Only R&R video

Date: May 9, 2024 07:36

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 9, 2024 09:41

I've just discovered Mick sang "...with some Argentinians girls that's just dyin' to meet you"around 1:38 on Miss You! I guess there were beautiful Rolingas in the pit LOL

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home