Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did MJ ever guest with BW's Rhythm Kings?
Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: April 26, 2024 18:38

I have never had the impression that MJ and BW were particularly close (although they did do Video Rewind together) but wondered if this ever occurred?

Re: Did MJ ever guest with BW's Rhythm Kings?
Date: April 26, 2024 18:46

At least the other Mick did.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 26, 2024 19:34

None of the band , only Taylor

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 26, 2024 20:58

Taylor1
None of the band , only Taylor

why should they want to do that? Wyman is a renegate, after all…

Date: April 26, 2024 21:56

renegate is a bit harsh.

may be it is a bait so I will not fall for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-26 21:58 by emotionalbarbecue.

Date: April 26, 2024 22:28

emotionalbarbecue
renegate is a bit harsh.

no bait intended.
But isn't it somehow tell that even Ronnie didn't guest? I mean, he plays with nearly anybody…

Date: April 26, 2024 23:56

slewan
emotionalbarbecue
renegate is a bit harsh.

no bait intended.
But isn't it somehow tell that even Ronnie didn't guest? I mean, he plays with nearly anybody…

Do you mean that Bill's Rhythm Kings are beneath Wood's musical dignity ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2024 00:25

Dont think he wanted to be anywhere
near them in case Framton's phone blew up ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 27, 2024 12:37

TheflyingDutchman
slewan
emotionalbarbecue
renegate is a bit harsh.

no bait intended.

my point is rather than there are some hard feelings between the Stones and Wyman

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: April 27, 2024 17:41

I think Ronnie did guest with Bill and his
Rhythm Kings...even if it was not an RK
show but an "Hommage Au Roi du Rock'n Roll"...

050900A September: SCOTTY MOORE/VARIOUS ARTISTS.
CD 'Hommage Au Roi Du Rock'n Roll Live At Abbey Road" (TF1 38442 065306,
France). Recorded live at Abbey Road Studios, London, December 3, 2004. Incl.
- Blue Moon Of Kentucky (Bill Monroe) -with Mark Knopfler on guitar and vocals
- My Baby Left Me (Arthus Crudup) -Mike Sanchez on vocals
- Heartbreak Hotel (Mae Boren Axton/Elvis Presley/Tommy Durden) -RW on guitar,
Steve Gibbons on vocals
- Trying To Get To You (Charles Singleton/Rose McCoy) -without Scotty Moore,
Albert Lee on vocals
- Baby Let's Play House (Arthur Gunter) -with Mark Knopfler on guitar and vocals
- All Shook Up (Otis Blackwell/Elvis Presley) -Mike Sanchez on vocals
- Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Lloyd Price) -Mike Sanchez on vocals
- Blue Moon (Richard Rodgers/Lorenz Hart) -with Martin Taylor on guitar
- Don't (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) -with David Gilmour on guitar on guitar; without
Scotty Moore
- Jailhouse Rock (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) -RW on guitar, Steve Gibbons on vocals
- Good Rocking Tonight (Roy Brown) -RW on guitar, Paul Ansell on vocals
- Baby I Don't Care (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) -without Scotty Moore, Albert Lee on
vocals
- Blue Suede Shoes (Carl Perkins) -RW on guitar, Albert Lee on vocals
Line-up: BW (bass)/Scotty Moore (gtr)/Terry Taylor (gtr)/Albert Lee (gtr, voc)/
Mike Sanchez (keyb)/Graham Broad (dr)/Beverley Skeete (bvoc)/Frank
Mead & Nick Payn (horns)
Note: The CD lists a second version of Heartbreak Hotel, but includes the first
version twice. Also released (more complete) on DVD (see below).

050900B September: SCOTTY MOORE/VARIOUS ARTISTS.
DVD 'Hommage Au Roi Du Rock'n Roll Live At Abbey Road" (TF1 Video EDV 1035,
France). Filmed live at Abbey Road Studios, London, December 3, 2004. Same
content as on the CD-release (see above), plus the following extra track:
- Heartbreak Hotel (Mae Boren Axton/Elvis Presley/Tommy Durden) -with Martin
Taylor on guitar
- Hound Dog (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) -RW on guitar, Albert Lee on vocals,
with everyone joining in
+ making-of (25 min. of rehearsals from December 1 & 2, 2004)
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 27, 2024 21:51

I don’t believe there’s any ‘grudges’ at all. Bill had every right to step-down after so many years. Certainly, Mick and Keith may have been disappointed, but they, ultimately, moved on. By all accounts, Bill remained close to Charlie, too. I have no idea as to why Ronnie didn’t perform onstage with the Rhythm Kings, but I’m confident this non-occurrence wasn’t due to ‘bad blood’, or any such nonsense.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: April 27, 2024 22:35

From what I gather, Jagger and Bill remained friends, although Bill said after his truncated live guest appearance in 2012 that they 'never forgave him for leaving', so there's definitely mixed feelings (emotions?), probably still to this day.

Bill stood up for Ronnie to become a full band member before the 1989/90 tour, so I can't imagine anything bad between them.

Date: April 27, 2024 23:05

slewan
TheflyingDutchman
slewan
emotionalbarbecue
renegate is a bit harsh.

no bait intended.

my point is rather than there are some hard feelings between the Stones and Wyman

I think that it's impossible not to like Ron Wood as a person in musician's circles.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 28, 2024 06:05

Posted above:
"Wyman is a renegate"

Oxford Languages
"renegade"
noun
a person who deserts and betrays an organization, country, or set of principles.
"an agent who later turns out to be a renegade"

Bill Wyman did not "renegade" The Rolling Stones. He quit, or resigned, like you resign from a work or a company, to move on in life. His resignation letter is detailed and do explain a lot, it can be seen in Matt Lee's museum in London, UK.

Basically Bill felt older than the others in The Stones. By the time, after the 1989/1990 tour, Bill, born in 1936, turned 54 years old in October 1990, while Mick and Keith were 7 years younger i.e. 47 years old. Also, Bill had just got a new family, with young girls.

Bill did not like flying, so he toured Europe with a bus/coach. His concept of Boogie Woogie music did not fit into having guest players like Mick or Keith. I can't remember he had any of them as guests, but he sure had guests on his many shows through the years, after he left The Rolling Stones.

See the Bill Wyman pages of IORR:

Bill Wyman (IORR - main pages with links)

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-28 06:07 by bv.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 28, 2024 06:12

Is there a link to Bill's resignation letter?

Date: April 28, 2024 06:24

From everything I have read. I mean facts not false rumors or hopeful suggestions was that Bill left the band diplomatically.

I am sure there was tension, but he deserves credit and should not be disparaged.

He would never have been invited to play with them in 2012 or appear on the newest album if he was not appreciated.

Your comments need to be buried. It is you with the tension. Not the band.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 28, 2024 06:39

Just read the letter from Bill to the rest of the band, it is several pages and very detailed. Not a big drama. As matter of fact, not everyone do work in or for the same company all their life.

It is possible to "build" a drama, sure Bill did have some comments about missing songwriter credits, like when he played "Melody", also when Bill played Glastonbury on Friday June 28, 2013, the day BEFORE The Rolling Stones played the main stage there the day after, Bill made sure he went to France before they hit the stage on Saturday. This was probably due to the "drama" about not being invited to play the entire shows at the O2 the year before, in 2012.

In general, it is my impression that there is no big drama, Bill is happy with his life, and it makes no sense to build a drama around him and the rest of The Stones, simply because there is no big issue about it all.

Bjornulf

Date: April 28, 2024 06:54

They should all have appeared.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 28, 2024 12:55

bv
It is possible to "build" a drama, sure Bill did have some comments about missing songwriter credits, like when he played "Melody"

You mean Billy Preston -he wrote 'Do You Love Me', which is the blueprint for Melody.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 28, 2024 12:56

No one guesting with the Rythm Kings most likely was because it was the most lackluster band to ever grace a stage.

Mathijs

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 28, 2024 15:50

Mathijs
No one guesting with the Rythm Kings most likely was because it was the most lackluster band to ever grace a stage.

Mathijs

That's an unfortunate view to have.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 28, 2024 18:30

Bill took what started with the ARMS tour and Willy & The Poor Boys and built it into a band similar to Jools Holland's band. It may not appeal to many Stones fans, but musicians (including The Stones and other A-listers) have enormous respect for them because they're tight bands who can play anything. They have musical integrity as backing musicians. It doesn't matter that Bill isn't a proper front man or a pop songwriter. They're not trying to create new music to build onto their existing catalog. They're not trying to have a voice and stay relevant in mainstream pop. They're just celebrating the music of the 20th Century. Ben Waters belongs in the exact same fields and earns the same respect from The Stones and their peers.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 28, 2024 19:36

Around the beginning of this Century I (we) was given a 20 minutes interview with Bill about his Rythm Kings experiences (he was in Holland for radio and TV recordings). His manager at that time told me that We were not allowed to asked questions in relation to the Rolling Stones.
Well, it all turned out differently. In less than 5 minutes Bill started to make references to his former famous band. It was all about what he had learned as a Rolling Stone and how he picked many positive experiences and applied them the his RKs. The interview even lasted more than half an hour. Bill clearly enjoyed talking about his Rolling Stones days.
Didn't Bill add his part in one of the HD cd on request of Mick and Keith last year? I'm sure all is fine between them. Didn't they publically say that his place in the Stones was not vacant for anybody else? He could return any time.
Momentarily disappointments are no basis for any devorce or?

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: April 28, 2024 20:54

I remember attending a R&K show and one musician did play the Satisfaction riff, then Bill told something like "no we are not playing this repertoire tonight" using a relaxed tone.
Maybe it was an usual joke done everynight at htis same part of the show, I don't know.
To me the R&K are more of a fun club band, letting Bill do what he likes without pressure.
And as he has quite a name, he can do it with some sufficient success and touring with A class (all british?) musicians.

Date: April 28, 2024 21:52

Was he kicked out of his own band? It was strange that they continued without him, and the info about Bill was deleted from their webpage, if memory serves. At least for a while.

Date: April 28, 2024 22:03

DandelionPowderman
Was he kicked out of his own band? It was strange that they continued without him, and the info about Bill was deleted from their webpage, if memory serves. At least for a while.

With Bill Wyman's mindset, he'd rather sold the name for big money winking smiley

Date: April 29, 2024 17:21

That band had some of the greatest English guitarists.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: April 29, 2024 17:58

Rocky Dijon
Bill took what started with the ARMS tour and Willy & The Poor Boys and built it into a band similar to Jools Holland's band. It may not appeal to many Stones fans, but musicians (including The Stones and other A-listers) have enormous respect for them because they're tight bands who can play anything. They have musical integrity as backing musicians. It doesn't matter that Bill isn't a proper front man or a pop songwriter. They're not trying to create new music to build onto their existing catalog. They're not trying to have a voice and stay relevant in mainstream pop. They're just celebrating the music of the 20th Century. Ben Waters belongs in the exact same fields and earns the same respect from The Stones and their peers.

That's all that needs to be said. Case closed.

It is all fun while staying active as a musician. I cannot imagine a more satisfying situation for experienced musicians: playing with band members they can rely on, and those guys are all friends.

I have been backstage at a RK show and it was none-stop laughs and guys havin' a good time and they had no security and no Shepherd's pie.

And I am sure the remaining Stones are all OK with Bill and I am sure today they understand his reasons for leaving. The fact that they were disappointed at his announcement and wanted him to stay, just shows how important he was for the Stones. What a solid rhythm section Bill and Charlie were!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-29 18:24 by frenki09.

Date: April 29, 2024 17:59

That was the best rhythm section

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 29, 2024 19:12

Taylor1
That band had some of the greatest English guitarists.

Yes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home