Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - RIP Dickey Betts
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: April 18, 2024 19:08

[www.jambase.com]

Thanks for all the great music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-19 22:20 by bv.

Re: OT - RIP Dickey Betts
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 18, 2024 19:24

Dickey Betts, Allman Brothers Band Singer-Guitarist, Dead at 80

By David Browne
April 18, 2024

[www.rollingstone.com]

--

RIP Dickey.

Re: OT - RIP Dickie Betts
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 18, 2024 19:34

I have tears in my eyes right now. Thank you Dickey for changing my life.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 18, 2024 19:58

Dickey Betts... R.I.P.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: April 18, 2024 20:04

Oh no! I love the ABB - can't imagine my life without those sounds - always admired Dickie's playing - may he join the brothers in guitarist'sd heaven!

My heart is filled with thankfulness!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 18, 2024 20:13

Wow, just saw his son, with Greg Allman's son, and Berry Oakley's son Saturday.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 18, 2024 21:31

Rest In Peace Dickie. I'm sure Chuck will post something nice online.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 18, 2024 21:45

RIP

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 18, 2024 22:00

RIP Dickey.

His work with Duane Allman on Blue Sky is unbeatable. Simply sublime...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-19 16:35 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: April 18, 2024 22:02

I really admired Dickie Betts. He wrote some of my all time favorite songs.

RIP Dickie Betts.....you will be missed!!!

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: April 18, 2024 22:11

RIP Dickey the road goes on forever

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 18, 2024 22:17

Thank you for all the great music you brought to our world. RIP.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 18, 2024 22:52

A national treasure. RIP.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: April 18, 2024 23:55

sad news, r.i.p. Dickey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-18 23:56 by switchblade1975.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 19, 2024 00:46

He was a excellent and innovative player in a great band! May he rest in peace.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 01:55

Man I just started listening to 7 Tur a with some regularity of late. Not a huge but appreciated his talent.

RIP

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 19, 2024 02:45

My first rock concert was seeing ABB in 1975. The band was really having a lot of problems - internally, with drugs, big egos, wasting money, management, etc. - but that December night in Macon, Dickie Betts set the world on fire.

I saw him a few years ago and he was struggling (his son Duane was and is an excellent player).

I choose to remember his blistering leads on some of my favorite songs so long ago. Thanks, Rambling Man....

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: April 19, 2024 05:06

Saw the ABB at the Carowinds amusement park - which was half in North Carolina and half in South Carolina - in 1979. Never forget the cheer that went up on the line "going to Carolina" on Blue Sky.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: April 19, 2024 09:45

Dickey Betts - one of the all-time greats!
He will be missed...

Here's a link to a show from 1988 - with Mick Taylor
on "Spoonful" and "Southbound"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 19, 2024 12:31

Please, it’s Dickey.

RIP

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 19, 2024 13:57

all over the news here in Sarasota, FL. Sad day indeed.

OT - RIP Dickey Betts
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 19, 2024 17:10

Chuck Leavell on death of Allman Brothers bandmate Dickey Betts: 'He left an enduring legacy'

By Orlando Montoya
April 18. 2024

Dickey Betts, a founding member of the Allman Brothers Band, was known as one of the world's great guitarists and a progenitor of Southern rock. He wrote the band's 1970s FM radio staple, "Ramblin' Man" as well as the instrumental "Jessica."

Chuck Leavell played keyboards for the Macon, Ga.-based band and collaborated with Betts on songs and performances over the years.

Currently in rehearsals for this year's outing with the Rolling Stones (for whom he has served as principle keyboardist and music director since 1982), Leavell took the time Thursday afternoon to reflect on Dickey Betts' life and music as well as their friendship.

TRANSCRIPT:

Chuck Leavell: Well, I'm feeling very, very sad. The world has lost a great guitarist, a great songwriter, and certainly I and many others that were close to Dickey have lost a very good friend. But the good news is that he has left us an amazing, enduring, and awesome legacy of music. And that's something we'll be celebrating for a long, long time.

Orlando Montoya: Talk a little bit about, about his legacy. What do you think—we will talk about his musical legacy, first of all, and his personal legacy. But musically, what do you think his legacy is?

Chuck Leavell: Well, he had such a very unique style, a style of his own. You know, Dickey Betts, when you heard him play, it was very recognizable, very powerful. But also as a songwriter, you know, you take a song like “Ramblin’ Man,” which was, you know, a big hit for the Allman Brothers Band when I was in the band. It's a song that everyone can relate to. You know, it’s just a straight-ahead little story that is so fun. And it's a joyful song. You know, his guitar work, especially at the end of that song where there's multiple guitars playing, is something that's very special and unique. But … some of his instrumentals, especially the song “Jessica,” that was a great vehicle for a 20-year-old piano player at the time that we recorded that song. And, you know, I still hear that song on the radio, along with “Ramblin’ Man” and some of the other songs that Dickey wrote. So, his legacy is here to stay.

Orlando Montoya: And personally, you knew him as a friend. Tell me a little bit about him as a person and what you'll remember him personally.

Chuck Leavell: Well, I can tell you that, when I first joined the band—and this would have been, when we were touring in 1973—we played Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Dickey had been married to a Native American woman named Sandy Blue Sky, who he wrote the song “Blue Sky “for. And Dickey called me up and he said, “Chuck, we got a couple of days off. Would you and Rose Lane (my wife Rose Lane), like to go to a reservation and meet some of these Native Americans, meet some of the chiefs, and attend some ceremonies? And that was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. It was so sweet of him to reach out to myself and to Rose Lane and to include us in that little trip that we made. And it's something that I will never, ever forget and be grateful for.

Orlando Montoya: Well, you and the band will be known as the creators of Southern rock. And I think that’s another [piece of Betts’] legacy.

Chuck Leavell: Well, absolutely. Dickey Betts helped invent the term Southern rock. It's not a term that we all fell in love with, but, you know, looking back today, I think it is an appropriate term. We were from the South. Very proud to be from the South. We were influenced by Southern culture. We were influenced by Southern music, whether it's country, whether it's rhythm and blues and soul or blues. And so all of those blends worked together to form the style that the Allman Brothers Band had. And something I think we're all very happy about and very proud of.

Orlando Montoya: Well, again, my thoughts are with you and the family as well, and I appreciate you talking with me in helping to remember his legacy.

Chuck Leavell: Thank you so much, and rest in peace, my brother Dickey.

[www.gpb.org]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 19, 2024 19:56

TravellinMan

This Travelin Man agrees

RIP

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 19, 2024 20:23

smileys with beer
TravelinMan
TravellinMan

This Travelin Man agrees

RIP

Amen.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 23, 2024 16:12

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 24, 2024 06:43

I last saw Dickey with the Allman Bros at Jazz Fest in New Orleans years ago. Great show. RIP Dickey.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: April 27, 2024 20:44

Too commercial for some ABB fans but a decent late period track IMHO...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home