Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT : John Mellencamp speaks out after getting heckled on stage, ending concert
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 11, 2024 15:56

Original article here

Legendary rock singer speaks out after getting heckled on stage, ending concert
Published: Apr. 11, 2024, 5:35 a.m.
By Brian Linder

A month later and John Mellencamp still isn’t having it folks.

If you go to his show, you are not the show. Let the man perform, and if you don’t … well, that happened last month in Toledo and what happened after went viral.

Video shared to TikTok shows Mellencamp telling the crowd a story about his grandmother when someone shouts, “Play some music.”

The crowd groaned and seemed to disagree with the heckler, but that didn’t seem to matter too much to Mellencamp. He paused for a moment and then he let it out.

“What do you think I’ve been doing you $#%@,” the singer responded.

He then waived his finger in the air.

“Here’s the thing man, you don’t know me,” he said. “You don’t fucking know me.”

He then instructed his people to “find this guy and let me see him after the show.”

So, certainly sounds like he was ready for a fight.

After another fan said something, he told the crowd he could stop the show and go home.

“Tell you what I’m going to do, since you have been so wonderful, I’m going to cut about 10 songs out of the show,” he said.

Mellencamp then began singing his hit, “Jack and Diane,” before stopping just seconds in and saying, “You know what? Show’s over.”

He then walked off stage.

The Toledo Blade said he did return to the stage about five minutes later and performed several more songs for the crowd.

And now we get a chance to hear at least a little bit about that from Mellencamp via The Washington Post. In a wide-ranging interview — if you are a Mellencamp fan it is here and it is certainly worth a read — he discussed his plans for the future, the venues he might play, and the fact that he doesn’t want to do some kind of anniversary tour.

“It just hits me sideways,” he said.

And, while he didn’t specifically name Toledo, he did, sort of, get around to situations like that involving his shows.

Planning to go? Listen up.

“I do expect etiquette inside of the theater, the same way you would at a Broadway show,” he told the Post. “My shows are not really concerts anymore. They’re performances, and there’s a difference between a performance and a concert. Look, I’m not for everyone anymore. I’m just not. And if you want to come and scream and yell and get drunk, don’t come to my show.”

Re: OT : John Mellencamp speaks out after getting heckled on stage, ending concert
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 11, 2024 16:28

Disappointing for sure, but he probably overreacted to one *sshole.

One person's behaviour shouldn't dictate how everyone's evening turns out.

A lot of well-behaved fans suffered from one fool.

I think Mellencamp, in his position he needs to be able to deal with this sort of thing in some different way.

Re: OT : John Mellencamp speaks out after getting heckled on stage, ending concert
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 11, 2024 17:03

Yes he does.

He was obviously riled and we'll allow him that...

...but a RNR performer of his experience ought to be able to deal with the odd silly pillock without all that fuss.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 11, 2024 17:40

"Johnny Cougar" is probably still haunted by his memorable performance at the University of Toledo student union in 1976. Nearly 1,000 people came because it was free. A few dozen were left when the show ended an hour later... John was a surly jerk then too...

"Don't start me talkin', I'll tell you everything I know..." --- Sonny Boy Williamson II

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 11, 2024 18:00

He seems to be a quite unhappy fellow. He's made it clear he never wanted to be a rock star, he wanted to be an artist, doing concerts is just a job and not one he particularly enjoys.

I do like his music, and have seen him a few times, but it is hard to like a guy who seems to be just doing it for a paycheck.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 11, 2024 19:50

I'm not the biggest John Mellencamp fan, but I have seen him before and honestly he is trying to put on "a show". Not a broadway sense, but he has a show he's trying to deliver. He's not asking for quiet, he's asking for respect. If you just want to hear Jack and Diane, I honestly applaud that he's man enough to say "thats not what I'm about and if thats what you want I'm sorry but this isn't the show for you." I went because someone gave me free tickets, and on paper it may not have been exactly the show I wanted, but being there and experiencing it I had a really great time, and he did a great job of weaving a tale throughout the show instead of just being a greatest hits machine. Is that gonna cost him? Probably, but I give him credit because its a harder thing to do. And ultimately, these performers don't owe us anything. You go to see whatever they're doing. If you don't like it, don't go back, but I can hardly blame him if this is the kinda show he wants to do these days and he doesn't want to put up with drunks.

Strikes me as very similar to a Lou Reed or a Bob Dylan or a Van Morrison or Neil Young. They may give you the greatest hits show, but not always, and if you don't like what they're offering up that tour then don't go. I just feel there's certain guys you can kinda expect are going to do whatever they want, and why shouldn't they? I may not like it but its their choice. It would be different than the Stones charging $400 and not playing hits.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 11, 2024 20:07

He has a reason to be mad, but have the heckler tossed out, don't punish the rest of the crowd. Selfish move by the fan and Mellencamp. I like the way Gary Clark Jr handled a heckler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 20:08 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 11, 2024 20:36

NashvilleBlues
He has a reason to be mad, but have the heckler tossed out, don't punish the rest of the crowd. Selfish move by the fan and Mellencamp. I like the way Gary Clark Jr handled a heckler.

This happend about a month ago. He did finish the show. No songs were omited. He did tell the guy off like Gary Clarke did.

But I am sick and tired of people in the audience thinking they are self intitled to do and say what they want at a show and act like they are the only ones in there. Stop the booze and most BS will stop also.

Peter Frampton just recently told a guy to shut up in one of the front rows because he wouldn't stop talking loudly non stop. He asked him "why are even here"?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 20:38 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: April 11, 2024 21:00

More Hot Rocks
NashvilleBlues

This happend about a month ago. He did finish the show. No songs were omited. He did tell the guy off like Gary Clarke did.

But I am sick and tired of people in the audience thinking they are self intitled to do and say what they want at a show and act like they are the only ones in there. Stop the booze and most BS will stop also.

Peter Frampton just recently told a guy to shut up in one of the front rows because he wouldn't stop talking loudly non stop. He asked him "why are even here"?

My fault. I didn't see that he returned to the stage.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 11, 2024 21:08

The crowds at acoustic sets by major artists are pure trash. Actually most classic rock crowds but these patrons are a special kind of scum. I am sure he gets that a lot and has a threshhold for blowing up.

I made this almost 15 years ago and it could definitely be updated

[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 11, 2024 21:09

More Hot Rocks
NashvilleBlues

I just saw Joan Osborne at The Sweetwater in Mill Valley, Ca. Bob Weir own the club and there is a shirt with his picture with the letters STFU. The bartenders all wear the shirt. This venue is notorious for rich and entitled fux talking through the show. I was about 10 feet from the stage and a guy in his 70s was there with his wife talking away. I told him to STFU once. Joan mentioned she was about to play some new material and he says he was there to hear her old stuff loud enough that I know she and the band heard him. Finally for the encore, which was a quiet new song, she asked people to STFU and actually took out the shirt.

Date: April 11, 2024 21:50

More Hot Rocks
NashvilleBlues

By all means heckle the heckler, and get them thrown out if they're a problem. There's no reason why everyone's experience should be tainted by one fool.

I guess from what I read Mellencamp seemed to take it personally or felt slighted, which he was, but by one idiot amongst thousands. When you're in show biz you just will hopefully have found a way to skillfully deal with that.

We have learned from Michael Richards that there are incorrect approaches to dealing with hecklers!

Date: April 11, 2024 22:37

I have seen John a couple of times over the years. He does put on a good show from what I have seen.

I can imagine what they have to go through on stage. Watching fights break out, people needing medical attention, items tossed at them, and I think the most bothersome is all the cell phone flashes.

To me at least nothing is worse than Axl Rose telling fans to hit the security guards or Roger Waters spitting on a fan.

Date: April 11, 2024 23:04

Could've been worse for Mellencamp. He could've had this security guy...

Date: April 11, 2024 23:51

georgemcdonnell314
I have seen John a couple of times over the years. He does put on a good show from what I have seen.

I can imagine what they have to go through on stage. Watching fights break out, people needing medical attention, items tossed at them, and I think the most bothersome is all the cell phone flashes.

To me at least nothing is worse than Axl Rose telling fans to hit the security guards or Roger Waters spitting on a fan.

I think Mick and Keith probably have the most iconic crowd interacting moment. "Brothers & Sisters what for are we fighting"...something along those lines!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 12, 2024 00:11

He should stick to his art-work ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: April 12, 2024 06:53

I agree with you and I thought of this exact thing. I have seen the movie several times.

But, I think the better instance was in 1978 when Mick asked everyone to throw their shoes on the stage. Now that was classy!

I was at a Pink Floyd concert in 1987 I think it was when they stopped playing and David Gilmore said "We're not playing if you ass*holes keep fighting" and then he broke into a solo afterwards.

Who knows what stuff we have missed, overlooked of just haven't thought of.

quote=treaclefingers]
georgemcdonnell314

I think Mick and Keith probably have the most iconic crowd interacting moment. "Brothers & Sisters what for are we fighting"...something along those lines![/quote]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2024 13:26

I've been a fan of John's and seen him a number of times through the years. I much preferred him being a rocker, not trying to be Woody Guthrie (ditto Bruce).

He doesn't seem particularly happy or much fun to be round. That said, he's the one who took the Johnny Cougar name and played the game (sold out?). Those albums up through Big Daddy are great, afterwards, a bit hit and miss.

His live shows used to be awesome. The last time I saw him, he played about 15 folk songs about death and 4 or 5 hits. I won't get fooled again....

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: April 12, 2024 13:50

We saw him two two weeks ago and the audience appreciated what he was doing; hell, we even applauded during the film clips (Madison loves films in general). He responded in kind, putting on an engaging performance and interacting with people who knew what was going on. Sure, he played warhorses, but he reworked the arrangements to put a new sheen on the songs (he's done that in the past as well: the Cutting Heads tour, for example, was heavily percussion oriented and quite a show). For the olds who stopped listening after Lonesome Jubilee, you missed some of his best work.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 12, 2024 15:20

Altamont weirdness notwithstanding, Mick and Keith are longtime pros at handling tough crowds.

Check out 'You Gotta Move' in Berlin 1970. Whistles rain down from many in the audience not liking the accoustic set (although others applaud to show support). Keith actually cuts the song off early. Mick then shouts a sarcastically upbeat 'Thank you!' - then an even more sarcastic 'Glad you dug it!' The band simply moved on to the next tune.

Posted by: illyad1960 ()
Date: April 12, 2024 16:06

Cougar being himself, re @#$%&. Being that Cougar is the opening act for an opening act, most people aren't there to see him or his attitude. Most are there to see either Willie Nelson, Dylan or Plant. Who gives a shit about Cougar?

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 12, 2024 18:43

Here's my Cougar/Mellencamp story.
1982 Sun Devil Stadium Tempe AZ.

John Cougar Mellencamp was just an upcoming artist then.
He and his band were one of the warmups for The WHO.
(I think Loverboy was the other warmup)

He was not well known back then and the crowd was not very receptive.
Half way thru his set John gets hit in the head with a beer bottle thrown from
the audience.
John walks off the stage and the crowd cheers thinking thats the end of his set.

John comes back out a few minutes later with his head bandage up and then goes
right into the best version of "Hurts So Good", without saying a word about the incident.
We all looked at each other and said, Wow, this guy is the real deal and he had us in the palm of his hand!

I have big respect for him.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 14, 2024 23:19

scaffer
Altamont weirdness notwithstanding, Mick and Keith are longtime pros at handling tough crowds.

Check out 'You Gotta Move' in Berlin 1970. Whistles rain down from many in the audience not liking the accoustic set (although others applaud to show support). Keith actually cuts the song off early. Mick then shouts a sarcastically upbeat 'Thank you!' - then an even more sarcastic 'Glad you dug it!' The band simply moved on to the next tune.

Reminds me of the Stones show I attended at the LA Forum in 1969. Mick and Keith had played the acoustic Prodigal Son and received a tepid response from the crowd. Mick said, "Got right carried away over that one".

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: April 15, 2024 02:48

he used to open for the Kinks a lot in the lates 70's in the Midwest. He was always jerky and cocky to the audience. Juts my observation, probably saw him 4-5 times like this.

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: April 15, 2024 06:15

scaffer

I think that was the last time they played it on the rest of the '70 European tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2024 08:21

He should quit/retire.

Since he can't handle a crowd anymore.

It's the same two or three songs on vlassic rawk radio anyway from long ago.

Cherry Bomb was excellent. The rest... yawn.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 15, 2024 14:45

You know, it's just like anyone out there trying to do their job. How would anyone respond if you were doing your work and some ass**** kept disturbing your flow and annoying you? I don't think this is anything he should know "how to handle". People like this should be removed immediately by staff. Btw, I'm not even a fan of his. This is just common decency.

Date: April 15, 2024 14:52

steffialicia
You know, it's just like anyone out there trying to do their job. How would anyone respond if you were doing your work and some ass**** kept disturbing your flow and annoying you? I don't think this is anything he should know "how to handle". People like this should be removed immediately by staff. Btw, I'm not even a fan of his. This is just common decency.

Your totally right, he shouldn't have to but then there's reality.

And after 45 years or more in the biz you need to toughen up a bit. A deftly delivered b*tch slap would have been preferable. After all, he had the mic!

Date: April 15, 2024 15:06

All musicians has experienced this. In my experience, the only thing that helps is to bite the bullet and start the next tune - preferably in the middle of the heckler's sentence.

Date: April 15, 2024 15:53

DandelionPowderman
All musicians has experienced this. In my experience, the only thing that helps is to bite the bullet and start the next tune - preferably in the middle of the heckler's sentence.

At 1:10 an onwards Al Di Meola faces "the problem". smiling smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2467
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home