Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones x Grammy's
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: February 9, 2024 21:29

Hi everyone,

I wonder why Hackney Diamonds wasn't nominated in the Grammy's this year...

I also see that the Stones won 4 Grammy's during their career while Bruce Springsteen won 20, Jay Z 23, Kanye West also 23, Beyonce 32...

WHY???

The Grammys were founded in 1958, before the Stones existed.

I can't really explain why the Stones just snagged four wins.

Benjamin.

Re: The Rolling Stones x Grammy's
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 9, 2024 21:36

benstones

Grammy's deadline didn't fit for Hackney Diamonds.

"The eligibility period for the upcoming 66th Annual Grammy Awards is October 1, 2022 – September 15, 2023" - [en.Wikipedia.org] . But Hackney Diamonds was released October 20, 2023.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-09 21:40 by Irix.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: February 9, 2024 22:14

benstones
Hi everyone,

I also see that the Stones won 4 Grammy's during their career while Bruce Springsteen won 20, Jay Z 23, Kanye West also 23, Beyonce 32...

WHY???

One reason is that it's an American award and all musicians you mentioned are Americans. But really...who cares?

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 9, 2024 23:21

As indicated in another thread the album was not eligible for this year, but will be for next year.

Sweet Sounds of Heaven!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 10, 2024 00:10

As I understand Keith is an American citizen and Ronnie an Irish citizen. Sir Michael, due to tax reasons, is a citizen of nowhere. Is the Grammy's an American price award or is it open to the world?
It's a bit odd that they are nominated for the Brit Awards since none of them are British. But I guess that how it works in this new brave world.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2024 02:47

hockenheim95
benstones
Hi everyone,

WHY???

One reason is that it's an American award and all musicians you mentioned are Americans. But really...who cares?

So true. Just think of all the Brit awards they've won by contrast...wait.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 10, 2024 02:57

Irix
benstones

Grammy's deadline didn't fit for Hackney Diamonds.

"The eligibility period for the upcoming 66th Annual Grammy Awards is October 1, 2022 – September 15, 2023" - [en.Wikipedia.org] . But Hackney Diamonds was released October 20, 2023.

Correct That's why Angry was nominated. Sept 6 fits in the time line.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 10, 2024 05:56

In the sixties, the Grammy's ignored rock since the voters were of an older generation. In the late seventies, they began to take notice. SOME GIRLS had the best reception in terms of its nomination for Album of the Year. By the time they moved to CBS, pressure was exerted to ensure Mick and the Stones had nominations for Best Rock Vocal Performance. CBS also landed them a Lifetime Achievement Award at a time when the Grammy's were just turning away from artists like Benny Goodman and Segovia at the end of their life and making Lifetime Achievement possible for a band that still had forty more years to run. Some compensation was made by inducting classic albums and singles in the Grammy Hall of Fame. Virgin did a good job of making sure there were Best Rock Album nominations. In the end, the awards are just a measure of success and acceptance to a small, but distinguished club.

Date: February 10, 2024 05:59

Stoneage
As I understand Keith is an American citizen and Ronnie an Irish citizen. Sir Michael, due to tax reasons, is a citizen of nowhere. Is the Grammy's an American price award or is it open to the world?
It's a bit odd that they are nominated for the Brit Awards since none of them are British. But I guess that how it works in this new brave world.

For what it's worth, Ronnie hasn't lived in Ireland for decades. I don't believe Keith is an actual citizen. I believe he stated he couldn't vote, though he might be able to now! All three are still British citizens.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 10, 2024 06:57

Stoneage

You’re talking nonsense. They’re all British citizens and, therefore, hold a British passport; one holds two, in fact. Where they reside - in their individual cases - has nothing to do with their citizenship and nationality.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 10, 2024 07:02

Rocky Dijon
Stoneage

For what it's worth, Ronnie hasn't lived in Ireland for decades. I don't believe Keith is an actual citizen. I believe he stated he couldn't vote, though he might be able to now! All three are still British citizens.

Keith would’ve first been eligible to naturalise years ago. He didn’t bother then, so I’m not why he would now.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: February 10, 2024 07:22

Awards shows are a joke.

I don't watch them, and I don't care who wins.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 10, 2024 11:55

benstones
Hi everyone,

WHY???

That's very simple, they released since 1981 not much studio albums.
42 years for 9 studio albums.
1981 Tattoo You
1983 Undercover
1986 Dirty Work
1989 Steel Wheels
1994 Voodoo Lounge
1997 Bridges To Babylon
2005 A Bigger Bang
2016 Blue & Lone Some
2024 Hackney Diamonds (mist the deadline for the Grammy's)

Date: February 10, 2024 13:36

At this point in the movie, they don't need recognition, right?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 10, 2024 14:31

looking at the complete list of Album Of The Year award winners (and nomminees), I get the impression the Grammys are not made for rock music…

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: February 10, 2024 14:56

slewan
looking at the complete list of Album Of The Year award winners (and nomminees), I get the impression the Grammys are not made for rock music…

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Beatles were robbed by not getting nominated for the White Album. Robbed!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 10, 2024 15:28

emotionalbarbecue

At this point in the movie, they don't need recognition, right?

That is the proverbial bottom line, yes indeed ! Do they (or we) need any further affirmation of their greatness, in the form of yet another dumb award of some sort ? Nope, none at all.

It might be nice for their egos (individually or collectively) to get some form of recognition in the year 2024, more than 60 years after they came into being, but that would be about it.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 10, 2024 15:43

Big Al
Rocky Dijon

Keith would’ve first been eligible to naturalise years ago. He didn’t bother then, so I’m not why he would now.

Just a lighthearted remark about the current hysteria in some quarters over discussions about giving immigrants the right to vote in the States.

Posted by: JMARCOU ()
Date: February 10, 2024 20:12

benstones
Hi everyone,

WHY???

Since when have the Grammys existed? 1962?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 10, 2024 22:51

JMARCOU

Since when have the Grammys existed?

May 4, 1959 - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 11, 2024 06:08

Big Al
Stoneage

You’re talking nonsense. They’re all British citizens and, therefore, hold a British passport; one holds two, in fact. Where they reside - in their individual cases - has nothing to do with their citizenship and nationality.

if the stones aren't british i'm laotianwinking smiley

Date: February 11, 2024 15:24

ProfessorWolf
Big Al
Stoneage

if the stones aren't british i'm laotianwinking smiley

hmmm...chao boengbopen khonlav

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: February 14, 2024 13:11

C'mon boys!!
Let's write #BRITsVoteRollingStones on this Instagram Page:
[www.instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-14 13:12 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 14, 2024 14:44

don't worry...the beatles terrible AI single will probably win awards next year....Ive not heard a song that bad in a long time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home