Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: If you had to pick just one Rolling Stones album
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 25, 2024 20:22

Hmmm...just one? Tough call. It would be a tossup between The Rolling Stones Now (American version) or Beggar's Banquet.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: January 25, 2024 20:26

Hackney Diamonds, VL, B2B, Steel Wheels, A Bigger Bang, Dirty Work.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 25, 2024 20:45

dmay
Hmmm...just one? Tough call. It would be a tossup between The Rolling Stones Now (American version) or Beggar's Banquet.

Ha! you didn't read the first post hot smiley

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 25, 2024 21:17

I did read the first post. Much as I considered those choices, I went with what would be my pick(s). The posted choices have their charms but they don't do it for me.

Posted by: stonesR1 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 21:34

Exile

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 22:34

stonesR1
Exile
Yeah,if you’re talking about the greatest rock n roll album by anyone.But we are limited to recent albums. I think Bridges is their best album by far, but all the others have some great songs like Out of Tears

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-26 01:25 by Taylor1.

Date: January 25, 2024 23:09

Hackney Diamonds
Steel Wheels
Dirty Work
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2024 23:33

DandelionPowderman
Hackney Diamonds
Steel Wheels
Dirty Work
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang

My exact listing, if you reverse Dirty Work and ABB.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: January 25, 2024 23:41

dedospegajosos
Imagine you had to pick just one Rolling Stones Album to listen for the rest of your life...but you must choose between Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges, A Bigger Bang and Hackney Diamonds.

Just one, all others will cease to exist, including pre Dirty work albums

Go

As Dirty Work is my favorite Rolling Stones album, this is easy. Dirty Work it is.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 26, 2024 00:35

MrEcho
dedospegajosos
Imagine you had to pick just one Rolling Stones Album to listen for the rest of your life...but you must choose between Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges, A Bigger Bang and Hackney Diamonds.

Go

As Dirty Work is my favorite Rolling Stones album, this is easy. Dirty Work it is.

Awesome!

And I gotta say if you like Dirty Work, you're gonna love some of their other material. There's this album called Exile on Main Street, sublime!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 26, 2024 21:32

Koen
dmay

Ha! you didn't read the first post hot smiley

Fault lies in the subject title, implying it's a pick of all albums ... we're past page 1 now!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 29, 2024 15:42

If you had to choose between being stuck on a deserted island with only a kazoo or an accordion, which would you choose?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 29, 2024 16:27

schillid
If you had to choose between being stuck on a deserted island with only a kazoo or an accordion, which would you choose?

I would choose the marimba, that way I could learn how to play Under My Thumb from Aftermath. Aftermath is the album I would choose if I had to pick just one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Fabulous topic anyhoo!

Posted by: legin ()
Date: January 29, 2024 16:42

That's an easy one for me....Black And Blue.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 29, 2024 17:58

dedospegajosos

Go

Absurd question ! The list includes most (if not all) of the absolute weakest Stones albums.

To answer the question: NONE of them !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 29, 2024 18:08

schillid

This question becomes more difficult when considering if you really want to be in a flock of seagulls or even a band

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-29 18:29 by schillid.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: January 29, 2024 19:27

paulywaul
dedospegajosos

Go

Absurd question ! The list includes most (if not all) of the absolute weakest Stones albums.

Damn, you must really hate this albums, like, they are the worst sounds ever put on tape! And it is not an absurd question at all, do you know what absurd means?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2024 20:00

paulywaul
dedospegajosos

Go

Well, I think it is nicer to spend the rest of my life with one of their lesser albums than having none at all...

Probably I would choose either VOODOO LOUNGE or A BIGGER BANG, since those are the weakest albums they ever have done in my opinion and the ones I very rarely listen at all. Now I would have time to give them a good listening, and probably give them a new appreciation...

Besides, I don't think any of their albums is that weak, actually. Each contains showcases of their unique greatness. They had just done so many great albums, the peaks being out of this world, and their over-all quality is just so high that the lesser ones or not that memorable albums suffer unjustly by comparison.

- Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 30, 2024 11:32

Doxa

...Besides, I don't think any of their albums is that weak, actually. Each contains showcases of their unique greatness. They had just done so many great albums, the peaks being out of this world, and their over-all quality is just so high that the lesser ones or not that memorable albums suffer unjustly by comparison.

- Doxa

Exactly so . I try to illustrate this by imagining the so called weak album to have been made by an unknown or lesser known band .

We'd all then be saying " that's pretty good !"

It's the ludicrously high bar that distorts the picture.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 30, 2024 11:39

dedospegajosos
paulywaul
dedospegajosos

Go

Damn, you must really hate this albums, like, they are the worst sounds ever put on tape! And it is not an absurd question at all, do you know what absurd means?

No, not hate per se. Just think that they're not a patch on earlier albums.

And yes of course I know what absurd means. Why wouldn't I ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-30 16:09 by paulywaul.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 30, 2024 18:52

Beggars Banquet

It was probably the album I listened to the most at the time

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 30, 2024 19:00

I love Hackney Diamonds but Bridges to Babylon has a more Stones album feel for me as spent so much time listening to it in '97. Every day on the train with my discman. The BtB tour was also my first so I'll probably go with that one.
Voodoo Lounge is the other contender for me. To be honest I won't be dissapointed with any of these 3

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 30, 2024 19:06

Bad Stones' album is an oxymoron.

Sure, its a fact that Dirty Work is no Exile, but when I stop comparing Dirty Work to the Stones' big ones and I put it in the context of the music released in 1986 - well, quality wise, I say it was a great release. It was the Stones, and the Stones are always something else. Not necessarily better, but something else definitely yes.

Same with Hackney Diamonds. Loads of great music was released in 2023. We all have our personal favorites. For example, me loves the Black Pumas, I play Chronicles of a Diamond and think what a great album, then I play Angry. Full volume: the Stones remain something else!

So yes, I can live with Dirty Works alone!!!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-30 19:07 by liddas.

Date: January 30, 2024 19:27

Hard question without answer available.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: January 30, 2024 19:36

Bridges or Voodoo

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: January 30, 2024 19:37

I would pick Steel Wheels quickly followed by Voodoo Lounge ( although too long for me by two or three songs).
I feel in those two albums that ,for some songs ,they are neither Richards nor Jagger songs but the fruit of a collaboration which, for me, sets the bar higher in terms of "pure" Stones songs.
Steel Wheels has "Slipping away in it ( Pure Keith song ...) so it tops the list!

Hackney Diamonds is unreal when you come to think that the guys who wrote and play it were close to 80 ...but the downfall is the songwriting which is almost entirely Jagger's. I bought it on the day of its release as I have always been doing with Stones album for the past 50 years but I know that I won't play it too often as time goes by .

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 31, 2024 00:33

It varies. Today it would be LET IT BLEED.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: January 31, 2024 00:54

Bridges To Babylon
A Bigger Bang
Voodoo Lounge
Steel Wheels
Hackney Diamonds
Dirty Work

I liked Hackney Diamonds the first few weeks but the songs grew old pretty fast. With Bridges and Bigger Bang I still feel a lot of excitement everytime.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 1, 2024 21:32

I'd not pick any of those you listed but Id go with EXILE...hands down their very best album ever! After that I'd pick Sticky Fngers and Let It Bleed!

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: February 2, 2024 00:04

No hesitation: a bigger bang
One of my favourite !

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2103
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home