Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 25 x 5
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 20, 2024 19:09

I remember a great piece of Star Fcuker live in 25X5.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: January 20, 2024 22:55

I never forget the impact 25x5 had on me when I saw this on tv for the first time. I was 16 or 17 and was only discovering the Stones. I think Paint it black was my first introduction to the Stones (thanks to the tv show Tour of Duty), then I bought Steel Wheels and Rewind on CD and that was that. Then came 25x5. Luckily I recorded it from TV, and watched it a million times the next few years. I was seriously impressed by the songs, the interviews and the background stories. I never seen anything like this. It was the start of a great journey (still in progress) ....

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 21, 2024 22:14

Just rewatched on YouTube. It's fantastic and lots of consideration towards Brian

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 22, 2024 10:58

DrPete
Just rewatched on YouTube. It's fantastic and lots of consideration towards Brian

Yes, although I remember being taken aback by Keith's, then, dismissive comments: 'shit happens'; 'hey, you cock, you're fired', etc. He's evidently mellowed since, as he's ben far more complimentary in more recent years. Mellowing with age, I guess.

Anyway, like so many others here, 25x5 was a revelation upon first viewing. It's a really well put-together, easy to follow, documentary. I discovered, and purchased, the VHS in a Beatles memorabilia shop, of all the places!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 22, 2024 12:59

Same here, 25X5 was the proper introduction for me.

Like Keith (albeit 25 years later) I lived in Switzerland for 2 years in the 90's and I used to borrow the VHS every week from the local library. Happy days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-22 13:01 by MadMax.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 22, 2024 13:08

jackflash27
I never forget the impact 25x5 had on me when I saw this on tv for the first time. I was 16 or 17 and was only discovering the Stones. I think Paint it black was my first introduction to the Stones (thanks to the tv show Tour of Duty), then I bought Steel Wheels and Rewind on CD and that was that. Then came 25x5. Luckily I recorded it from TV, and watched it a million times the next few years. I was seriously impressed by the songs, the interviews and the background stories. I never seen anything like this. It was the start of a great journey (still in progress) ....

I've still got the VHS I recorded from the telly too grinning smiley.

25x5 was quite a big deal for we fans at the time... because we didn't have the Internet, You-Tube or the plethora of other multi media resources we have today.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: January 22, 2024 14:46

Big Al
DrPete

Yes, although I remember being taken aback by Keith's, then, dismissive comments: 'shit happens'; 'hey, you cock, you're fired', etc. He's evidently mellowed since, as he's ben far more complimentary in more recent years. Mellowing with age, I guess.

Anyway, like so many others here, 25x5 was a revelation upon first viewing. It's a really well put-together, easy to follow, documentary. I discovered, and purchased, the VHS in a Beatles memorabilia shop, of all the places!

Think the meaning may have been a bit lost on non-UK viewers. He wasn’t calling him a cock; ‘Hey, cock’ is more like ‘hey, buddy’ might be for someone in the US. In his interview with Australian TV in 1973 Keith is a lot more circumspect regarding Brian’s death.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 22, 2024 15:56

matsumoto33
Big Al
DrPete

Think the meaning may have been a bit lost on non-UK viewers. He wasn’t calling him a cock; ‘Hey, cock’ is more like ‘hey, buddy’ might be for someone in the US. In his interview with Australian TV in 1973 Keith is a lot more circumspect regarding Brian’s death.

Yeah, that's probably right. I am from the U.K., but the term 'hey, cock' is a little antiquated. I, as many would, thought the usage of 'cock' was a slur.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 22, 2024 20:32

Are there copyright issues pertaining to this documentary that would keep it from being re-released and put on DVD or Blu-ray? I still have this on VHS from back when it was released. As many have commented, I would agree 25/5 was/is the finest documentary on the Stones to date. My youngest daughters were 3-4 years old when it was released and they watched it over and over again. Great video baby sitter!

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: January 23, 2024 16:16

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-23 17:52 by wiredallnight.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2024 01:41

filstan
Are there copyright issues pertaining to this documentary that would keep it from being re-released and put on DVD or Blu-ray? I still have this on VHS from back when it was released. As many have commented, I would agree 25/5 was/is the finest documentary on the Stones to date. My youngest daughters were 3-4 years old when it was released and they watched it over and over again. Great video baby sitter!

No. Its just that its more than three decades out of date and there have been subsequent documentaries made since. There wouldnt be any money in rereleasing it

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 24, 2024 02:50

25x5 - 2h:8mins version:

[www.YouTube.com] - seems to be the Japanese VHS - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-24 11:25 by Irix.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 24, 2024 07:26

Irix
25x5 - 2h:8mins version:

[www.YouTube.com]

This version INFURIATES me beyond measure!!!

At 1:47 (approx) there's the wonderful quote from Charlie about working 5 years and 20 years hanging around. Great.

BUT, in the original broadcast version of the encounter with the interviewer, you can see who he (the interviewer) is - it's Mark Ellen, who is a Brit and was, I think, editor of Q, or Mojo and stuff like that. You can even see his glasses towards the end of the clip.

For reasons unknown, and which infuriate, his (Mark's) voice has been wiped and some north american has been dubbed in. WTF in spades!

Other than that, 25x5 is really good of course. <insert smiley>

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: January 24, 2024 13:43

I think it was David Hepworth’s voice - he did a couple of Stones/Jagger extended interviews around the time for Whistle Test. I watched those zillions of times, as i did 25X5 too

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 24, 2024 21:54

Yeah. It was Hepworth. the footage is from the 'Whistle Test' BBC special shown in August 1986

The clip in question was from the 'One hit to the Body' video shoot.

Legend has it that Charlie had arranged to go to Osvaldo Ardiles' testimonial game between Tottenham and AC Milan that evening (with Maradona guesting for Tottenham) but had to cancel when the call came to shoot a video (something he hated)

Understandably he was not in a good mood.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: January 24, 2024 22:31

You can clearly hear a 2nd guitar in YCAGWYW at the rock n roll circus in 25x5.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 25, 2024 10:42

Gazza
Yeah. It was Hepworth. the footage is from the 'Whistle Test' BBC special shown in August 1986

Hepworth & not Ellen. My bad. Sorry.

Either way though it doesn't alter the <expletive deleted> overdubbing of the question.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 26, 2024 00:55

what's great about it is that they weren't "icons" yet, so their comments are down to earth and fun; not yet so guarded or scripted.

And also they still were willing to admit that Mick taylor and Brian Jones were in the band! None of the modern day airbrushing that has gone on.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 26, 2024 01:21

HalfNanker
what's great about it is that they weren't "icons" yet, so their comments are down to earth and fun; not yet so guarded or scripted.

And also they still were willing to admit that Mick taylor and Brian Jones were in the band! None of the modern day airbrushing that has gone on.
The Stones were icons from at least 1972.The 1972 tour was THE event of the 1972 summer.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 26, 2024 19:37

CaptainCorella

This version INFURIATES me beyond measure!!!

At 1:47 (approx) there's the wonderful quote from Charlie about working 5 years and 20 years hanging around. Great.

Yes, great quote! Too funny! One of my favorites.

++

I don't think this clip is in 25X5 but...

Can someone post a clip of Keith being interview in 1976 about Keith being number one on the list of Rock Stars to die. Keith says, "I'll let you know."

I've a long version of this part of this interview which is better than the shorter version.

Thanks,
ExileStones

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 5, 2024 17:44

Taylor1
HalfNanker

The Stones were icons from at least 1972.The 1972 tour was THE event of the 1972 summer.

semantics...
i think you missed the point of my post!

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: February 5, 2024 19:37

i still have the original official VHS i bought back than - but my VHS player broke down at least 10 years ago
any chance to get it on DVD (may be even the Japan version) some way, somewhere, somehow ? i mean not the youtube stream

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 5, 2024 21:04

keefgotsoul
You can clearly hear a 2nd guitar in YCAGWYW at the rock n roll circus in 25x5.

Yes, I mentioned this many years ago here. I believe it was mentioned that it was overdubbed afterwards. I was surprised when I first saw the R'n'R Circus and listening to YCAGWYW and Brian's guitar wasn't there.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: February 5, 2024 21:25

Dorn
i still have the original official VHS i bought back than - but my VHS player broke down at least 10 years ago
any chance to get it on DVD (may be even the Japan version) some way, somewhere, somehow ? i mean not the youtube stream

[iorr.org]

[www.musicvideoresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-05 21:27 by StoneZP.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 5, 2024 22:58

I copied this along with all my other vhs to dvd about 20 years ago using a JVC 4-head vcr and dvd recorder. Couldn’t even tell you where they’re at in my pile of stuff now but they turned out great on the highest grade recording settings. I even made 2 copies each just in case one got messed up.

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: February 6, 2024 20:35

best stones documentary

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: February 7, 2024 18:05

StoneZP
Dorn

[iorr.org]

[www.musicvideoresource.com]

tks
just found that IORR page y´day too

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home