Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No room for album cuts in set
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 5, 2005 17:24

Just got back from the Memphis show. Band played well, it was fun, but the set list needs a couple more slots. 20 songs is just not quite enough because that leaves only enough room for the Big Hits, the new songs, and a cover or two. Every song Mick sang in Memphis, except the new songs and the covers, was from 40 Licks. No album cuts at all. It would really be nice to acknowledge the true fans with one or two obscure ones per night.

I understand that it must be no fun to play songs when everyone is going for beer, however. I hate trying to get into a new song or Keith’s set with everyone going to the restroom or the beer stand, talking, sitting down, etc. The band must have a real fear of losing the audience. Understandable, but show some guts! Maybe they will do some theater shows soon...

Re: No room for album cuts in set
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: December 5, 2005 17:25

There won't be any theatre shows on the a bigger rip-off tour, for sure.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2005 17:33

Send It To me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> I understand that it must be no fun to play songs
> when everyone is going for beer, however. I hate
> trying to get into a new song or Keith’s set with
> everyone going to the restroom or the beer stand,
> talking, sitting down, etc. The band must have a
> real fear of losing the audience. Understandable,
> but show some guts!

that problem only exists if you target a show towards an affluent audience of posers who only own "40 licks"

It wasnt a problem on previous tours. The fans who went to the show knew their material, in my experience. If anything releasing "40 licks" has been something of a watershed in the Stones career. The people who bought that are their target audience from now on.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 5, 2005 17:43

Just from going to shows, if I didn’t know better, I would think that the band wrote no new songs between 1978 and 2004. Just a big void there. Pity, because I really like the new stuff too (even though I’m in the minority there.)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2005 18:13

i dont think youre in the minority, to be honest.

Most people, myself included, were very happy with the new album.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2005 18:21

"It´s time to get that baby on the road and take the diapers off!" Keith, 2005

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

He meant the new album, btw!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 5, 2005 18:21

I think that's the most frustrating aspect to the tour...not so much the utter lack of album cuts, but the utter lack of new songs. I think Ronnie was right when he said that many of the songs were tailor-made for the stage, yet we're hearing almost nada (and, frankly, the ones were are hearing, apart from RFD, aren't the ones we should be hearing).

I figured that the tour wouldn't see alot of deep, catalogue cuts...but because we'd get 6-7 new tunes played. I just don't understand it. Regardless of the crowd reaction to the warhorses (they'll ALWAYS give the Stones unconditional love for these), I cannot believe the Stones themselves AREN'T BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS playing them at the expense of something newer and more interesting TO THEM!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: December 5, 2005 19:32

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-23 00:55 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 5, 2005 19:56

cirrhosis Wrote:
> Hell, at this point I'd even
> like to see SOL, just to see how it would play
> live.

You know what? Me too....words I never thought I'd say....

Date: December 6, 2005 02:38

These casual fans are being spoiled.They would appreciate their big hits more if they had to "suffer" through some album tracks (ABB included) in between.The last half of the concert from Miss You down has been all hits since Out Of Control was dropped.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 6, 2005 03:02

Did anyone ever think about it this way:

20% of the songs in Memphis were from a 2005 release. But 2005 is only one year in the life of a 43 year old band, or about 2.5% of its total existence.

So as a ratio of time as a band, releases from 2005 were over-represented by a more than a ten-to-one ratio.

Not working for you, okay . . .
let's put it another way, they've put out over 25 albums (not counting the live ones or anthologies), and 20% of their songs came from this one album, ABB. If they'd wanted to represent all of their work equally, one song from ABB would be played in 3 concerts out of 4 and in the 4th concert you wouldn't hear it at all.

Moreover, when they do play a song from ABB, like Infamy, people here do nothing but complain about it. WTF?

Is Infamy not an album cut?

So actually, it's not play songs from the album but, rather, play songs that I like from the album.

. . . well, good luck with that. We all like different songs.

Finally, and I really don't know how many times this needs to be said, the Stones don't tour to promote a new album, they release a new album to better justify the tour.

I think Keith said it best when he said "you got it infamy."

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 6, 2005 04:37

camper - is math class over yet?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 7, 2005 00:41

StonesTod Wrote:
> camper - is math class over yet?

No. but it is now.

Total number of songs from between 1978 and 2005: 328, over 30%.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-12-07 03:47 by camper88.

Date: December 7, 2005 05:32

Most people would consider at least three songs,probably more,from the current album a given.Most Stones fans would prefer more but,I believe the real problem lies with the rest of the set.The biggest problem is that 20 songs is not enough for a band with the amount of quality tracks the Stones have.

Date: December 7, 2005 05:43

On most nights on this tour the '81-'02 era was represented by three songs - Start Me Up,Slipping Away,& You Got Me Rocking which all have been done way too many times on this and past tours.Out Of Control has been dropped.What does that leave?No Black and Blue,no Undercover,no Dirty Work & now no Bridges To Babylon.It's Only Rock 'n' Roll is once again only being represented by the title track.Most shows have no Goats Head Soup.Exile On Main Street,the famous double album,has only had three songs make an appearance on the whole tour.I don't like the way that things are going.

Date: December 7, 2005 05:47

Make that four Exile tracks but,once again,of those four,two have been over played and the other two have been played quite a few times on past tours as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home