Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Darryl Jones missing on Hackney Diamonds
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:23

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what's the deal? He's been on every album since Bill bailed after Steel Wheels.

I'm a bit surprised that they let Watt take on the bass duties on the album, what does this mean? I'm sure that Darryl is the technically better player... Why are they letting the 30-something Ozzy producer take on the bass duties on HD? Something just doesn't add up, I'm sure Darryl would have been more than happy/available to play on it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 17:03 by bv.

Re: Darryl Jones MIA...?
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:32

A Bigger Bang had 16 tracks Darryl played bass on 10 or 11 of the 16 tracks. Still the bulk of the album but was still absent on 5 or 6 tracks. May be an availability thing. Or maybe Andrew Watt is just a fan of his own Bass playing!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:35

FrogSugar

Why are they letting the 30-something Ozzy producer take on the bass duties on HD?

Darryl was not available for the recording sessions due to other commitments.

And Andrew Watt doesn't play Bass on all tracks - [iorr.org] . Only on 4 (or 5) tracks, see below - [iorr.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 20:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:41

No one has ever claimed Darryl is the only bass player. He is a hired hand.
On Bridges To Babylon he is only on 3 tracks. In the studio, creativity is the main factor. Knowing this, being a musician myself, it’s creatively uplifting having other people than usual, bringing things to the table. In concert it’s different. And Darryl is secured in the touring band.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:42

Irix
FrogSugar

Why are they letting the 30-something Ozzy producer take on the bass duties on HD?

And Andrew Watt doesn't play Bass on all tracks - [iorr.org] .

I'm still pretty much amazed that Darryl wouldn't want to be a part of the (probably) last ever Stones album ever.

Yes, I know that Bill and Paul are guesting, but that still leaves a lot of tunes where Darryl was expected to play on.

And as TumblinDice76 said, I've no doubt that AW prefers to play the bass on the album, I just think that something's weird about all of this!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 21, 2023 01:58

Darryl has become what Bill ruefully stated many years ago. "I think they just want me around so they have someone play bass live." It took some time before Bill's contribution in the studio was finally appreciated. Hell, Howard Stern just told Keith Richards last week that Paul Simon said Bill's bass line was so important to Satisfaction.

The problem with Darryl is that he is not a rock and roller. Bill was, going back to the 50s. Darryl appears to have gotten the job because Charlie liked his jazz cred. He has rarely contributed much of anything memorable on bass, except for a couple cuts on Voodoo Lounge. He just disappeared after that in the studio, and on stage. I've only heard the two released cuts so far and the bass is more present than it's been in a long time, especially on Angry.

Maybe Andrew Watt flat out told them that they needed better bass. If they had really wanted Darryl they could have left the cuts for him to contribute to. Now he's back to being a hired hand for stage work. Bass seems to be something you can get away with in a live setting. It's in the studio, or hearing that live work on your home system that proves what's good and what's okay.

Date: October 21, 2023 02:12

Blueranger

The above comment made me think of this 2017 documentary called Rock’n’Roll Guns for Hire: The Story of the Sideman (BBC4), which can be viewed here.

It features Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Bernard Fowler, and Lisa Fischer.

“The better you are at your job, the less people will notice you,” said Keith Richards. “And that’s the whole point.”

'This gun's for hire - Even if we're just dancin' in the dark' - Bruce Springsteen

Date: October 21, 2023 04:15

Blueranger

Even though Bill Wyman was a full-fledged member of The Rolling Stones for 30 years, he didn't play bass on every song on all the band's albums during that time period.

From Beggars Banquet and onward until he retired after Steel Wheels, bass duties were done by Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood on some songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 04:20 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Date: October 21, 2023 04:23

MrForeverMusicFan
Blueranger

Even though Bill Wyman was a full-fledged member of The Rolling Stones for 30 years, he didn't play bass on every song on all the band's albums during that time period.

And Keith didn't play guitar on every track. And Mick didn't sing on every cut. And Charlie didn't play drums on every song. Bill played bass on almost every important song. They knew. He's not on a lot of Exile, but he certainly is on Rocks Off, maybe the best track of all. Yes, Keith played bass on JJF, but Bill provided that little organ riff at the end of the song. Keith played bass on SFTD, but Bill played the maracas. And marimba on Don't Be a Stranger. They were a band.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:30

FrogSugar
Irix
FrogSugar

And Andrew Watt doesn't play Bass on all tracks - [iorr.org] .

I'm still pretty much amazed that Darryl wouldn't want to be a part of the (probably) last ever Stones album ever.

Yes, I know that Bill and Paul are guesting, but that still leaves a lot of tunes where Darryl was expected to play on.

And as TumblinDice76 said, I've no doubt that AW prefers to play the bass on the album, I just think that something's weird about all of this!

Well I for one am thrilled with the outcome. So many have bitched about Darryl all these years, maybe they were right after all.

But he still holds it together for them Live.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:05

FrogSugar

It's not the last ever Stones album. They said that they're two-third or three-quarter through the next album (depending on which interview) due to 23 tracks. If they're not fully finished yet, then there's a chance that Darryl could play Bass on the final recordings.

Here's a track overview regarding the Bass players on Hackney Diamonds:

1. Angry - Keith Richards, Bass
2. Get Close - Keith Richards, Bass, Andrew Watt, Bass
3. Depending On You - Andrew Watt, Bass
4. Bite My Head Off - Paul McCartney, Bass
5. Whole Wide World - Andrew Watt, Bass
6. Dreamy Skies - Keith Richards, Bass
7. Mess It Up - Andrew Watt, Bass
8. Live By The Sword - Bill Wyman, Bass
9. Driving Me Too Hard - Ronnie Wood, Bass
10. Tell Me Straight - Keith Richards, Bass
11. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven - Keith Richards, Bass (The Single and BluRay credits say Andrew Watt, Bass)
12. Rolling Stone Blues - Keith Richards, Bass (according to the credits)

Credits sources: [www.Qobuz.com] - (i-button on desktop browsers) , [Music.Apple.com] - (··· View Credits) , [www.HDtracks.com] - (··· Track Info). BluRay credits - [www.YouTube.com] - (Pos. 3:33).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 19:55 by Irix.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:18

As it's been noted before, in particular here 'Living In A Ghost Town' is the bonus track on the Japanese release of Hackney Diamonds.

Darryl is listed as bassist on the credits for the song noted here.

The Japanese fans who buy Hackney Diamonds will be aware of the above.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:25

MrForeverMusicFan

Yes, but 'Living In A Ghost Town' was recorded & released in 2020.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:27

Irix
MrForeverMusicFan

Yes, but 'Living In A Ghost Town' was recorded & released in 2020.

What difference does that make? Charlie's drum tracks for 'Mess It Up' and 'Live By The Sword' were recorded in 2019.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:31

FrogSugar

I'm a bit surprised that they let Watt take on the bass duties on the album, what does this mean? I'm sure that Darryl is the technically better player... Why are they letting the 30-something Ozzy producer take on the bass duties on HD? Something just doesn't add up, I'm sure Darryl would have been more than happy/available to play on it!

Producer Jimmy Miller played drums and percussion on some of the songs from Exile On Main Street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 15:32 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:35

MrForeverMusicFan

Charlie's drum tracks for 'Mess It Up' and 'Live By The Sword' were recorded in 2019.

2019 & 2020 are the differences to the recording sessions of 2022-2023.

And 'Living In A Ghost Town' actually doesn't belong to Hackney Diamonds. It's just a bonus to justify the expensive Japanese prices for music releases. LIAGT is only on the Japanese CD (not BluRay/Vinyl).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 15:50 by Irix.

Date: October 21, 2023 15:58

Irix

2019 & 2020 are the differences to the recording sessions of 2022-2023.

And 'Living In A Ghost Town' actually doesn't belong to Hackney Diamonds. It's just a bonus to justify the expensive Japanese prices for music releases.

Hackney Diamonds has been many years in the making.

The Stones were recording new songs around the period they recorded Blue & Lonesome.

From a 2021 interview with The Rolling Stones via Los Angeles Times here, also noted below.

The pandemic slowed work on the Stones’ latest studio album, their first of original songs since “A Bigger Bang” in 2005. “If everything hadn’t gotten closed down, we might’ve finished the damn thing,” Richards said. Added Jagger: “We have a lot of tracks done, so when the tour’s finished we’ll assess where we are with that and continue.”

Had the pandemic interruption not occurred, then 'Living In A Ghost Town' probably would've been included.

In a way, 'Living In A Ghost Town' does belong on Hackney Diamonds.

The band couldn't be in the studio with each other when the pandemic occurred, so 'Living In A Ghost Town' was probably completed before that. Also when the band decided to release the song, it probably had a different interpretation and meaning lyrically before the pandemic.

It's part touring, pandemic, Charlie Watts' passing, and the motivation to complete Hackney Diamonds on a fixed deadline which delayed the album being released earlier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 16:20 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Date: October 21, 2023 16:30

MrForeverMusicFan

Hackney Diamonds has been many years in the making.

But the final recordings were end of 2022 / early 2023.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: October 21, 2023 18:16

Wow…Sweet Sound of Heaven is Keith on bass? Amazing!

Date: October 21, 2023 19:32

Keith is an amazing bass player. Just listen to sftd

Date: October 21, 2023 21:04

MrForeverMusicFan
FrogSugar

Producer Jimmy Miller played drums and percussion on some of the songs from Exile On Main Street.

And You Can't Always Get What You Want. Plus Kenney Jones drummed on IORR.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:08

MrForeverMusicFan
Blueranger

From Beggars Banquet and onward until he retired after Steel Wheels, bass duties were done by Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood on some songs.[/quote. You forgot Mick Taylor, on songs like Tumbling Dice and Fingerprint File.But none of them were Bill.Listen to Bill on the albums and live shows.He is always amazing with Charlie

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 21, 2023 23:15

Wasn't he just playing with them yesterday in New York? How is he MIA?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 22, 2023 21:19

I am not really that big a fan of Keith, Taylor or even Wood as a bass player.On songs like Live With Me, the bass is more like a guitar.Bill is the bass player.His playing with Charlie was just great.It gave it the unique sound. Listening to live songs like from 1972 or Honky Tonk Women , he had a unique way of propelling the song.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 22, 2023 22:08

FrogSugar
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what's the deal? He's been on every album since Bill bailed after Steel Wheels.

I like. Darryl’s playing he’s good.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2023 11:20

If you have Keith in the studio -one of the tastiest bass players around, you have Ron Wood, you have Andrew Watt who's a fantastic bass player -why would you need to invite Darryl to the sessions? Especially since Darryl isn't a very good RnR player.

Mathijs

Posted by: Roc ()
Date: October 23, 2023 12:01

Mathijs
If you have Keith in the studio -one of the tastiest bass players around, you have Ron Wood, you have Andrew Watt who's a fantastic bass player -why would you need to invite Darryl to the sessions? Especially since Darryl isn't a very good RnR player.

Mathijs

I also think the same thing though I’ve never heard how the bass sounds andrew watt

Date: October 23, 2023 12:11

Taylor1
I am not really that big a fan of Keith, Taylor or even Wood as a bass player.On songs like Live With Me, the bass is more like a guitar.Bill is the bass player.His playing with Charlie was just great.It gave it the unique sound. Listening to live songs like from 1972 or Honky Tonk Women , he had a unique way of propelling the song.

Hm...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2023 12:45

Roc
Mathijs

Mathijs

I also think the same thing though I’ve never heard how the bass sounds andrew watt

Well, listen to Hackney Diamonds. Andrew Watt is all over the album.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 23, 2023 16:00

Irix

Here's a track overview regarding the Bass players on Hackney Diamonds:

12. Rolling Stone Blues - Keith Richards, Bass

I am quite sure that there is no bass on RS Blues

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2165
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home