Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Tell Me Straight - Track Talk
Date: October 22, 2023 15:52

Topi
keefriffhards
Why Keith only one song and a short song, wasn't the contract always two Keith songs, sometimes three songs, disappointed.

The contract?

Very simple: When most people hear Jagger's voice they think it's the Rolling Stones.
When people hear Keith's voice they think it is him doing a solo project.
That's just how it works by most people subconsciously. We are all brainwashed by the Rolling Stones in a way. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 16:09 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2023 16:10

TheflyingDutchman
Topi
keefriffhards
Why Keith only one song and a short song, wasn't the contract always two Keith songs, sometimes three songs, disappointed.

The contract?

Very simple: When most people hear Jagger's voice they think it's the Rolling Stones.
That's just how it works by most people subconsciously. We are all brainwashed by the Rolling Stones in a way.

Little they know, those brainwashed most people. Namely, there is a new subclass among the hardcore fanbase these days. When they hear a Rolling Stones, they hear a Jagger solo project. When they hear Keith singing or The Winos, they hear The Rolling Stones.smoking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 22, 2023 16:13

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Topi
keefriffhards

The contract?

That's just how it works by most people subconsciously. We are all brainwashed by the Rolling Stones in a way.

Little they know, those brainwashed most people. Namely, there is a new subclass among the hardcore fanbase these days. When they hear a Rolling Stones, they hear a Jagger solo project. When they hear Keith singing or The Winos, they hear The Rolling Stones.smoking smiley

- Doxa

That just made me spit my coffee through my nose! Too funny and so true!!

Date: October 22, 2023 16:19

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Topi
keefriffhards

The contract?

- Doxa

Damn, right you are. Maybe I should have used the word "brain damaged" instead of brainwashed after 60+ years. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 16:44 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 22, 2023 17:25

Doxa
keefriffhards

It is horrible to listen all those albums prior DIRTY WORK. In some of them - all the way to BEGGARS BANQUET - Keith doesn't sing any song at all (okay, a few verses in "Salt of the Earth"). EXILE especially is a terrible case: so many songs, but only one, pretty short Keith tune. So disappointed.

- Doxa

Ouch ! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 22, 2023 19:05

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Topi
keefriffhards

The contract?

- Doxa

I meant since 81" Keith was contracted to sing two songs live while Mick leaves the stage, also since then Keith has played 2 songs on each album so assumed that was also in the contract.

Also i love Mick Jaggers voice/ singing on everything up to Undercover, just to put the record straight, pardon the pun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-22 19:13 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 23, 2023 07:34

keefriffhards

I meant since 81" Keith was contracted to sing two songs live while Mick leaves the stage, also since then Keith has played 2 songs on each album so assumed that was also in the contract.

As far as I know there is no such contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 07:35 by Topi.

Date: October 23, 2023 07:37

"Tell Me Straight" somehow started to remind me of "All About You".

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 23, 2023 08:56

Nice song. I like that Mick joins Keith on this even if it doesnt quite mesh 100%

Would love to hear this live

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Date: October 23, 2023 11:32

24FPS
Who plays bass?

Bill winking smiley

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 23, 2023 13:28

Ok song,but a bit boring as usual with some of Keith,s ballads

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 23, 2023 14:04

Date: October 23, 2023 14:19

Topi
keefriffhards

As far as I know there is no such contract.

I read in one of Keith's biographers books that Keith gets to sing two songs ( of he wants to) since 89' and Keith also gets to sign agreement of the setlist before they play a show.
Keith's easy going about it and leaves the setlist to Mick, but it's contracted that Keith signs an agreement before show time.

Date: October 23, 2023 14:30

Which book was that?

Keith agreeing to/signing off the setlist of a show is a different thing from an actual contract stipulating that Keith "gets to sign two songs if he wants to". Who would the contracting parties be in this case, I wonder?

And what does "two songs if he wants to" even mean? Keith's got an option of singing 0 to 2?

I would maybe just call Keith's solo spot standard practice. And it's got nothing to do with how many songs he signs lead on when they put out an album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 19:24 by Topi.

Date: October 23, 2023 14:37

Date: October 23, 2023 16:33

Topi
Which book was that?

Keith agreeing to/signing off the setlist of a show is a different thing from an actual contract stipulating that Keith "gets to sign two songs if he wants to". Who would the contracting parties be in this case, I wonder?

And what does "two songs if he wants to" even mean? Keith's got an option of signing 0 to 2?

I would maybe just call Keith's solo spot standard practice. And it's got nothing to do with how many songs he signs lead on when they put out an album.

I can't go through all the books right now lol but i think it was Victor Bockris, can't say I've seen the contract either, don't worry about it, obviously everything was laid out, lawyers do their thing.
It's in a video somewhere, you actually see Keith sign the setlist.

Date: October 23, 2023 16:47

Maybe you're mixing up Mick and Keith's agreement for concerts with that of albums, Riffie?

At least one song is better than none, like on B&L thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2023 18:34

DandelionPowderman
Maybe you're mixing up Mick and Keith's agreement for concerts with that of albums, Riffie?

At least one song is better than none, like on B&L thumbs up

Yes and it's a good song, it really goes deep into you after a few plays, can't get it out of my head already winking smiley

Date: October 23, 2023 19:18

keefriffhards

It's in a video somewhere, you actually see Keith sign the setlist.

I've seen that clip, yes, it's on The Biggest Bang DVD. Just saying signing off on a setlist for a concert on a given night is one thing and a contract about the number of songs is another. (I still don't get who Keith would enter a contract with). But yeah, we can drop it. Can't say I have read the Victor Bockris book either.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 19:45 by Topi.

Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: October 23, 2023 19:26

Dorn
what happened to Keith´s voice ? after quitting smoking it should be strong but here it sounds rather thin, and it is mixed too far in the background

recording method is similiar to THRU AND THRU

Date: October 23, 2023 19:45

By the way, keefriffhards, I did a search and found a post about the setlist sign-off process, not sure if correct:

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 19:46 by Topi.

Date: October 23, 2023 20:03

Topi
By the way, keefriffhards, I did a search and found a post about the setlist sign-off process, not sure if correct:

[iorr.org]

Wow thanks Topi for going to the trouble, i guess everything is signed and sealed these days.
I have an apology to make, these tracks on this album grow on you, it's really a fun album, and Keith's track is exactly the way it's meant to be .

Date: October 23, 2023 20:06

You should have listened to slewan and not rush to judgment! winking smiley

Date: October 23, 2023 21:33

Topi
You should have listened to slewan and not rush to judgment! winking smiley

Well the jury is still out on this album, I still think in 10 years time it will be seen as great for 80 year olds having their final roar, but it's far from being the album they could have made, the one i hoped for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 21:54 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: October 24, 2023 00:12

Topi

[iorr.org]

you can see Arnold Dunn bringing the setlist of the 2006 Copacabana concert into Keith dressing room and Keith signing it off in the salt of the earth documentary (at the beginning of this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfu4DSh9Ps)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 28, 2023 10:13

There is a Tell Me Straight version w/ Mick on vocals, as Keith confirmed on Howard Stern ... maybe one day we'll get to hear it, a la You Got The Silver.

Date: October 28, 2023 12:12

LeonidP
There is a Tell Me Straight version w/ Mick on vocals, as Keith confirmed on Howard Stern ... maybe one day we'll get to hear it, a la You Got The Silver.

I would prefer to hear "One More Shot" Keef solo version!!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 29, 2023 00:18

Topi
"Tell Me Straight" somehow started to remind me of "All About You".

Remind me to Golden caddy outtake smoking smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 31, 2023 08:17

This one grows more and more on me and I just realized what it is about- Keith sings to the Man upstairs wanting answers on what comes next. Powerful and it makes ya think about your own life and mortality.
Along with Angry, Live By The Sword, Mess It Up, SSoH and RS Blues the best one for me.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 31, 2023 22:57

One of the best tracks on the album.
Really needed a second Keef track on this beautiful album

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home