Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 95 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 22, 2024 20:54

VL13

It is tiring to see your dreary repetitive comments on HD. Can’t you have some sense and understand how boring and forgetable your endless ranting is. Consider this a favor, to spare you further embarassment of more quibbles.
I come on this thread to read about the great album the Stones have given us, not to witness your troubled ways. Peace.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 22, 2024 21:26

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
Gave most of it another listen today and it’s the same. Just not aging well. Other than WWW, MIU, LBTS, and the far too short TMS the album is forgettable. For me it’s second shelf quality with ER, U, IORR. Albums I know of but rarely spin. I know TY was a collection of leftovers but my God they went from that to U and folks round here love it!! For me it must have been what everyone felt about GHS after what had preceded it, but GHS is horribly u serrated and better than some - most - of the Big 4 IMHO.

Well...you like a third of the songs, for most albums (by other artists), that's a win.

Plus second tier Stones is better than most tier anything else.

PLUS, the albums you put them on par with are awesome. There's more to life than Voodoo Lounge!

I think I can now say I like HD better than U, which was my favourite post-Tattoo You.

For comparison's sake, I think there are at most 4 songs on ABB that I think are 2nd tier/filler. Huge difference. HD doesn't sound different. Not pushing any boundaries. Sounds like anything any band - known or unknown - could have made. There's nothing memorable or new. No RFD. For me it just sounds forced. It's loose, but it also sounds it. Like let's hurry up and record something new to tour behind. It's the Stones trying to be the Stones and it misses by miles. SSOH is horrible retread of YCAGWYW. Dreamy is a feable attempt at country that reminds me of FAE. BMHO is inferior even to ONNYA, which is a better punk song. Yes, Mick's vocals and annunciating hasn't sound this good since '97, but for me, it's just not enough to save this album. I am happy for the majority of fans that love this album. And it is great that they finally put out SOMETHING, but I was expecting more. A longer album, more flushed out songs. TMS sounds like a demo, and is great in its brevity. I do truly wonder if Keef isn't dried up at this point in life, which would really stink. Honestly, I think his cover of the Lou Reed song has more authenticity to it than anything on HD.

But again, this is all just me. Clearly I am in the minority around here.

+1 I have a lot of friends that are Stones fans, and most of them bought the album, but I can´t discuss it with them because the just dont listen to it. They dont even remember the name of one song. When ABB came out, we listened like crazy for months, not too much now of course, but we have fond memlories of that time, and we all remember most of the songs names...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-22 21:37 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 22, 2024 21:33

MKjan
VL13

It is tiring to see your dreary repetitive comments on HD. Can’t you have some sense and understand how boring and forgetable your endless ranting is. Consider this a favor, to spare you further embarassment of more quibbles.
I come on this thread to read about the great album the Stones have given us, not to witness your troubled ways. Peace.

SO because my opinion differs from the masses, and my stating that HD still isn't aging well/finding its way into my rotation, I am being silenced? It's OK for everyone to state that, It's the best since......; I'm still playing it every week; still in regular rotation..........but anything contrary isn't welcome? Noted.

PS - if you're going to scold, at least make sure you know how to spell.

Date: April 22, 2024 21:45

VoodooLounge13
MKjan
VL13

SO because my opinion differs from the masses, and my stating that HD still isn't aging well/finding its way into my rotation, I am being silenced? It's OK for everyone to state that, It's the best since......; I'm still playing it every week; still in regular rotation..........but anything contrary isn't welcome? Noted.

What a CHILDISH comment, grow up man and learn to deal with different opinions.

I encourage you to keep posting Voodoo! You are always respectful in your comments

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2024 21:55

dedospegajosos
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
Gave most of it another listen today and it’s the same. Just not aging well. Other than WWW, MIU, LBTS, and the far too short TMS the album is forgettable. For me it’s second shelf quality with ER, U, IORR. Albums I know of but rarely spin. I know TY was a collection of leftovers but my God they went from that to U and folks round here love it!! For me it must have been what everyone felt about GHS after what had preceded it, but GHS is horribly u serrated and better than some - most - of the Big 4 IMHO.

Well...you like a third of the songs, for most albums (by other artists), that's a win.

PLUS, the albums you put them on par with are awesome. There's more to life than Voodoo Lounge!

I think I can now say I like HD better than U, which was my favourite post-Tattoo You.

For comparison's sake, I think there are at most 4 songs on ABB that I think are 2nd tier/filler. Huge difference. HD doesn't sound different. Not pushing any boundaries. Sounds like anything any band - known or unknown - could have made. There's nothing memorable or new. No RFD. For me it just sounds forced. It's loose, but it also sounds it. Like let's hurry up and record something new to tour behind. It's the Stones trying to be the Stones and it misses by miles. SSOH is horrible retread of YCAGWYW. Dreamy is a feable attempt at country that reminds me of FAE. BMHO is inferior even to ONNYA, which is a better punk song. Yes, Mick's vocals and annunciating hasn't sound this good since '97, but for me, it's just not enough to save this album. I am happy for the majority of fans that love this album. And it is great that they finally put out SOMETHING, but I was expecting more. A longer album, more flushed out songs. TMS sounds like a demo, and is great in its brevity. I do truly wonder if Keef isn't dried up at this point in life, which would really stink. Honestly, I think his cover of the Lou Reed song has more authenticity to it than anything on HD.

+1 I have a lot of friends that are Stones fans, and most of them bought the album, but I can´t discuss it with them because the just dont listen to it. They dont even remember the name of one song. When ABB came out, we listened like crazy for months, not too much now of course, but we have fond memlories of that time, and we all remember most of the songs names...

Gurl, I hate to tell you but at least part of the reason for that is...YOU OLD!

But I digress. It's too bad you two dudes don't like the album but tastes are gonna differ. Consensus is this album is the best since...sliced bread, and I'm on that bandwagon. I've tried since Steel Wheels to really get into the new releases, Voodoo Lounge was pretty good, but very uneven and bloated, B2B had a handful of excellent songs, but certainly not a double albums worth.

ABB was probably the best of the bunch but again, too long and some weak material to drag it down.

HD is a revelation, and not just because the songs are excellent, the performances are excellent and the energy palpable...notwithstanding they are in their 80s. Just staggering.

Perhaps you two will look back on this time a little more fondly.

Date: April 22, 2024 21:56

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

But I digress. It's too bad you two dudes don't like the album but tastes are gonna differ. Consensus is this album is the best since...sliced bread, and I'm on that bandwagon. I've tried since Steel Wheels to really get into the new releases, Voodoo Lounge was pretty good, but very uneven and bloated, B2B had a handful of excellent songs, but certainly not a double albums worth.

ABB was probably the best of the bunch but again, too long and some weak material to drag it down.

HD is a revelation, and not just because the songs are excellent, the performances are excellent and the energy palpable...notwithstanding they are in their 80s. Just staggering.

How old are you treacle? I’m 45.Are you saying you are too young for ABB? I don’t understand

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-22 22:26 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 22, 2024 22:16

"Too young for dying and too old to lose..."grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 22, 2024 23:06

dedospegajosos
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

This is the same for me! 6 months straight, nonstop. Nothing else. NOTHING for 6 months!!! I expected the same. I do love the cover, which many don't. I love the little video of the cover shattering - I believe that's on Apple? Not sure. I still have that up in another tab. Believe it was either Doxa, Irix, or UrbanSteel who had originally posted that. Please forgive me if it was someone other than one of those folks!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 23, 2024 12:31

dedospegajosos
VoodooLounge13
MKjan
VL13

What a CHILDISH comment, grow up man and learn to deal with different opinions.

I encourage you to keep posting Voodoo! You are always respectful in your comments

Not childish at all - you totally miss the point. It's not about "learning to deal with different opinions", it's all about the same people endlessly repeating their dislike of HD, their reasonings, their feelings concerning the album etc etc pp as if they feel their opinion is of such major importance for mankind that they need to repeat their message to make sure that it can't be overlooked by a single visitor of this message board.

Guess it's really a psychological thingy, otherwise I see no reason why people feel the need to repeat the same negative thing over and over. Nothing against critical opinions at all, if they're coming from different people with different viepoints they're interesting to read even if I don't agree, but the same people with the same points over and over again is not only repetitive and boring but also smells of campaigning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-23 12:35 by retired_dog.

Date: April 23, 2024 16:43

dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

How old are you treacle? I’m 45.Are you saying you are too young for ABB? I don’t understand

No, I was saying "you old!" because as you get older other things get in the way of your musical attention, ie birthdays, kids and suicides.

Still, I play the fool and strut and your a slut.

Date: April 23, 2024 17:06

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

No, I was saying "you old!" because as you get older other things get in the way of your musical attention, ie birthdays, kids and suicides.

Still, I play the fool and strut and your a slut.

Oh, yes ha ha, I guess that’s kinda true!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 23, 2024 18:09

VoodooLounge13
Gave most of it another listen today and it’s the same. Just not aging well. Other than WWW, MIU, LBTS, and the far too short TMS the album is forgettable. For me it’s second shelf quality with ER, U, IORR. Albums I know of but rarely spin. I know TY was a collection of leftovers but my God they went from that to U and folks round here love it!! For me it must have been what everyone felt about GHS after what had preceded it, but GHS is horribly underrated and better than some - most - of the Big 4 IMHO.

In technical creative terms, U is the follow up to ER: The Rolling Stones didn't enter a recording studio between October of 1979 and December 1982. A natural sonic progression occurred with SG, ER and U. Between October 1977 and December of 1982, mostly in the same studio, they were massively creative.

One could look at the what's known amount of recorded songs and come to a conclusion that in that time span of recording three albums there's enough material for three more. Just two finished leftovers were used for B-sides (a third one appeared in 1989).

Some (mostly ER) leftovers got finished for TY.

They have made brilliant creative decisions for song inclusion on their LPs (BB, LIB, SF, EOMS, GHS, TY), some strange decisions (IORR, BAB, SG, ER) considering what was left off, and downright awful decisions (DW).

Then there's the overthought push decisions. VL is a perfect example of that: some great material was left off the album in favor of? A bunch of boring songs. Don Was thought the groove tunes had no substance. I dig Brand New Car but it's exceptionally flat - shouldn't that tune be popping because of Don Was?

Was doesn't talk about anything else so apparently they didn't work on them more yet the bootlegs provide plenty of information that much better material was not finished. The B-sides are better than half the album - and they spent one day on the B-sides.

Andrew Watt reduced them down for HACKNEY DIAMONDS. They had a 60-80 tunes, roughly, between 2015 and 2022, and then tossed it all and started over in December and cut 23 songs.

HD accomplishes what VL, BTB and ABB didn't - a focused objective, not a rambling scattered map of 'let's do this this and this and this and this'. Nothing seems out of place. Rain Fall Down doesn't feel in place on ABB - it's more suitable to U or BTB - strictly in that regard.

Who else could do Angry, Mess It Up and Rollin' Stone Blues - a rock tune, a dance tune and a true blues - on the same album? They kinda did similar with BRIDGES but it still doesn't work - Might As Well Get Juiced is contrived.

But they've already done this that and the other so why not do something different? It seems to generally turn out 'we should'a stuck with our sound'. They did with that HD - you just can't hear it.

Date: April 23, 2024 18:16

harlem shuffle
The mixing of Exile is one of the worst mixing of a Stones album

IORR is their worst. EOMS sounds incredible - and it's just as sonically sharp as LIB and SF. EOMS is a murky album but the mix is fantastic.

Mick complained about the mix while talking about VOODOO - which, at the time, I thought, Yeah, he's right.

I eventually got around to listening to the Virgin EOMS and he's wrong. Of course it's fantastic on headphones, just as LIB, SF, GHS and U are, but it sounds fantastic through speakers.

Mick also said VL would've been a better album if it had sold more. Because the more units an album sells, the better it gets. It's magic.

Date: April 23, 2024 18:19

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Gave most of it another listen today and it’s the same. Just not aging well. Other than WWW, MIU, LBTS, and the far too short TMS the album is forgettable. For me it’s second shelf quality with ER, U, IORR. Albums I know of but rarely spin. I know TY was a collection of leftovers but my God they went from that to U and folks round here love it!! For me it must have been what everyone felt about GHS after what had preceded it, but GHS is horribly underrated and better than some - most - of the Big 4 IMHO.

In technical creative terms, U is the follow up to ER: The Rolling Stones didn't enter a recording studio between October of 1979 and December 1982. A natural sonic progression occurred with SG, ER and U. Between October 1977 and December of 1982, mostly in the same studio, they were massively creative.

One could look at the what's known amount of recorded songs and come to a conclusion that in that time span of recording three albums there's enough material for three more. Just two finished leftovers were used for B-sides (a third one appeared in 1989).

Some (mostly ER) leftovers got finished for TY.

They have made brilliant creative decisions for song inclusion on their LPs (BB, LIB, SF, EOMS, GHS, TY), some strange decisions (IORR, BAB, SG, ER) considering what was left off, and downright awful decisions (DW).

Then there's the overthought push decisions. VL is a perfect example of that: some great material was left off the album in favor of? A bunch of boring songs. Don Was thought the groove tunes had no substance. I dig Brand New Car but it's exceptionally flat - shouldn't that tune be popping because of Don Was?

Was doesn't talk about anything else so apparently they didn't work on them more yet the bootlegs provide plenty of information that much better material was not finished. The B-sides are better than half the album - and they spent one day on the B-sides.

Andrew Watt reduced them down for HACKNEY DIAMONDS. They had a 60-80 tunes, roughly, between 2015 and 2022, and then tossed it all and started over in December and cut 23 songs.

HD accomplishes what VL, BTB and ABB didn't - a focused objective, not a rambling scattered map of 'let's do this this and this and this and this'. Nothing seems out of place. Rain Fall Down doesn't feel in place on ABB - it's more suitable to U or BTB - strictly in that regard.

Who else could do Angry, Mess It Up and Rollin' Stone Blues - a rock tune, a dance tune and a true blues - on the same album? They kinda did similar with BRIDGES but it still doesn't work - Might As Well Get Juiced is contrived.

But they've already done this that and the other so why not do something different? It seems to generally turn out 'we should'a stuck with our sound'. They did with that HD - you just can't hear it.

Nice distillation Skip.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 23, 2024 18:33

What really surprises me of all the outtakes that leaked over the years, is how diverse the Stones could sound - both composition and playing - and how little of this diversity ended up in the albums released along the years. It always makes me wonder how many great songs have been discarded only because they were not the kind of song that a stones fan expects from the Stones.

Maybe one day also the songs recorded between 2015-22 will see the light of day, the Fully Finished Hit The Wall leak, and give a completely different perspective to HD

C

Date: April 23, 2024 18:35

liddas
What really surprises me of all the outtakes that leaked over the years, is how diverse the Stones could sound - both composition and playing - and how little of this diversity ended up in the albums released along the years. It always makes me wonder how many great songs have been discarded only because they were not the kind of song that a stones fan expects from the Stones.

Maybe one day also the songs recorded between 2015-22 will see the light of day, the Fully Finished Hit The Wall leak, and give a completely different perspective to HD

C

It's like the creativity never left, just the ability for judicious editing.

Date: April 23, 2024 19:26

liddas

C

In a way, after getting those Vigo boots, I might've developed a grudge against VOODOO for being so boring. Moon Is Up was a big deal... but after a while, say a year, and ever since then - it's just interesting filler. It doesn't do anything. A lot of neat things going on but... I thought there was much more interesting tunes left off.

At some point, whether it was Rolling Stone or some other music mag yet alone timeisonourside.com it's quotes like these that cement the idea of there being a grudge - and that Mick gave in:

(Don Was is) definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

I'm certainly not anti-groove, just anti-groove without substance, in the context of this album. They had a number of great grooves. But it was like, OK, what goes on top of it? Where does it go? I just felt that it's not what people were looking for from the Stones. I was looking for a sign that they can great real serious about this, still play better than anybody and write better than anybody.

- Don Was, May 1994

We deliberately kept (the album) in the broadest styles. Normally, we would have perhaps thrown a lot of things out that were on the edge of being included. On some of our recent records, we'd do things that would be quite interesting, but then leave them off of the albums because we felt they were off the beaten path of rock & roll, so to speak. I felt like we were getting into a hard rock-only thing. We wouldn't have done something like Moon Is Up. The funny thing is that 15 or 20 years ago, we would have included them.

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

It's very much a kind of time-and-place album. In that way I was quite pleased with the results. But there were a lot of things that we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don (Was) steered us away from: groove songs, African influences and things like that. And he steered us away very clear of all that. And I think it was a mistake... He tried to remake Exile on Main Street or something like that. Plus, the engineer (Don Smith) was also trying to do the same thing. Their mind-set about it was just too retro. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it inherently, but they went over the top; they'd gone too far... I didn't really fight it in the end. I gave up because there was no point in it. I think both Charlie and I didn't really like it, but we could see that that was the direction you could go, and it might be successful. I don't think it really was that successful, because I don't think there's any point in having these over-retro references. I think it was an opportunity missed to go in another direction, which would have been more unusual, a little more radical, although it's always going to sound like the Rolling Stones.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: April 23, 2024 20:32

Quite a ways past due for another single: all three came out between September 6 and October 20.

Driving Me Too Hard would be a perfect last single for HACKNEY DIAMONDS. It has one of Mick's favorite song subjects in it - showing cards.

Date: April 23, 2024 21:56

GasLightStreet
liddas

C

In a way, after getting those Vigo boots, I might've developed a grudge against VOODOO for being so boring. Moon Is Up was a big deal... but after a while, say a year, and ever since then - it's just interesting filler. It doesn't do anything. A lot of neat things going on but... I thought there was much more interesting tunes left off.

At some point, whether it was Rolling Stone or some other music mag yet alone timeisonourside.com it's quotes like these that cement the idea of there being a grudge - and that Mick gave in:

(Don Was is) definitely anti-groove. Charlie and I worked on a lot of groove tunes that never made it on to the record. That was the one thing I was slightly disappointed by.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

I'm certainly not anti-groove, just anti-groove without substance, in the context of this album. They had a number of great grooves. But it was like, OK, what goes on top of it? Where does it go? I just felt that it's not what people were looking for from the Stones. I was looking for a sign that they can great real serious about this, still play better than anybody and write better than anybody.

- Don Was, May 1994

We deliberately kept (the album) in the broadest styles. Normally, we would have perhaps thrown a lot of things out that were on the edge of being included. On some of our recent records, we'd do things that would be quite interesting, but then leave them off of the albums because we felt they were off the beaten path of rock & roll, so to speak. I felt like we were getting into a hard rock-only thing. We wouldn't have done something like Moon Is Up. The funny thing is that 15 or 20 years ago, we would have included them.

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

It's very much a kind of time-and-place album. In that way I was quite pleased with the results. But there were a lot of things that we wrote for Voodoo Lounge that Don (Was) steered us away from: groove songs, African influences and things like that. And he steered us away very clear of all that. And I think it was a mistake... He tried to remake Exile on Main Street or something like that. Plus, the engineer (Don Smith) was also trying to do the same thing. Their mind-set about it was just too retro. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it inherently, but they went over the top; they'd gone too far... I didn't really fight it in the end. I gave up because there was no point in it. I think both Charlie and I didn't really like it, but we could see that that was the direction you could go, and it might be successful. I don't think it really was that successful, because I don't think there's any point in having these over-retro references. I think it was an opportunity missed to go in another direction, which would have been more unusual, a little more radical, although it's always going to sound like the Rolling Stones.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

Can someone give me an example of what a Stones "groove song" is? I am always confused by that. Slave maybe? Dance Pt1? Continental Drift?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 23, 2024 22:18

GasLightStreet
liddas

C

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

- Don Was, May 1994

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

That certainly disproofs the claim that Don Was is a yes-man.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2024 06:46

I can't tell you many times I've listened to Hackney. Last night I watched the mini-concert from the Racket. I'll bet you I listened to Bridges and A Bigger Bang twice and haven't listened since. It's a late career masterpiece. Maybe it's not Sticky Fingers, but it's certainly up there with Some Girls.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: April 24, 2024 06:55

I listen to hackney every morning at work since it came out know every song buy heart now can't wait to hear some of thos live Sunday. Il be the one in the pit yelling more hackney.

Date: April 24, 2024 06:57

dedospegajosos
GasLightStreet
liddas

C

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

- Don Was, May 1994

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

Can someone give me an example of what a Stones "groove song" is? I am always confused by that. Slave maybe? Dance Pt1? Continental Drift?

Continental Drift is not a groove song.

Tumbling Dice, Dancing With Mr D, Fingerprint File, Slave, Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita, Shattered, Emotional Rescue, yes, Dance; Undercover Of The Night, She Was Hot, Tie Me Up, Love Is Strong, Everything Is Turning To Gold... Miss You - those are grooves.

Groove is not a speed, it's a feel. It has ass, hips, tits, arms and or heads that sway.

Moonlight Mile is not a groove song.

Date: April 24, 2024 07:05

StonedRambler
GasLightStreet
liddas

C

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

- Don Was, May 1994

- Mick Jagger, June 1994

- Mick Jagger, 1995

[timeisonourside.com]

That certainly disproofs the claim that Don Was is a yes-man.

In the sense of Mick and Keith - from the get go, in their own words, without saying it directly, that's obviously not the scenario.

But. And good spot on that.

Consider the reality:

New record deal, new producer, tour looming.

By no means am I claiming - or anything else - the Mick dictates ALL that happens, as easy as it seems to believe. Maybe he did back in 1970 and 1977. It's easy to say that Mick controls ABC and no one will ever know, possibly, but he let Was walk all over the Stones. Maybe that is the case more so post-VOODOO. I dunno.

Maybe that load of $$$ from Virgin Records slayed Mick's mind?

Date: April 24, 2024 07:13

24FPS
I can't tell you many times I've listened to Hackney. Last night I watched the mini-concert from the Racket. I'll bet you I listened to Bridges and A Bigger Bang twice and haven't listened since. It's a late career masterpiece. Maybe it's not Sticky Fingers, but it's certainly up there with Some Girls.

Actually HACKNEY DIAMONDS is a career masterpiece - there is no timeline for a career except for beginning and end.

Obviously they're at the end, if not outright, and one more album possibly, but it will be over very soon regardless.

If HD is it... what a way to end. Because it's magnificent. "Especially for men in their 80s".

What a load. That's the new crux?

Pathetic. Not all 80 year olds are walking with a walker. It's the 86-90 year olds that are there now.

That's not too far away for The Rolling Stones.

Until then... another new album, a few more tours. Loads of whatever released and then it stops - by 2034 no one will be going to see two (and one not quite 90 year old) of The Rolling Stones - they will have retired, if not died.

That's ten years away. Ain't that far away.

Date: April 24, 2024 08:18

Mixed Emotions gave the signal for The Return Of The Rolling Stones - it was extremely vibrant. It had a bit of snarl in it.

It mattered (and! It wasn't a ridiculous "Christmas" release, whenever the hell that is determined).

Angry did the same thing only more so - it's more in line with The Rolling Stones than Mixed Emotions was (is); both have a great beat, a fantastic melody, a great chorus... but one is based in a historical yet deceptive aspect of anger, hatred, etc, and the other one is based in existence.

The sneer of Get Close sonically overpowers It Won't Take Long and Dangerous Beauty together - similar songs in a way yet no where near as flowing, musical, tuneful and, yes, Claire and Daniel, Stonesy.

Driving Me Too Hard might come off as Stones-by-numbers... but it's not. Too Tight is a song I love but I know it's a pedestrian Stones-by-numbers Stones song, one they could've done in 1977 or 179 or 1982 without thinking beyond what breakfast would be that night.

There is enough Keef riffing going on in Driving, and excellent Ronnie stylings, as classic Ronnie can only do, that's quite busy - it's not Stones-by-numbers.

Bite My Head Off - a pumping spine tingler in the same atmosphere as Silver Train, Dance Little Sister, Crazy Mama, Lies, Summer Romance... and, of course, the most obvious, Eazy Sleazy.

Tell Me Straight... this could've easily fit on the excellent CROSSEYED HEART. This is Winos with The Rolling Stones - a perfect fit. It could easily fit on TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER as well.

Too short? No. It's perfection.

Whole Wide World - it's Sad Sad Sad meets Shattered: thumping yet dirty. Lyrically it's a bit odd at times but so is Can't You Hear Me Knocking, only in this case, WWW is a snooty common saying vs rampaging for existence.

Some people here need to be grateful that the only modern aspect of HD is the vocal treatments and not the songs - so glad there's nothing like Might As Well Get Juiced or for that matter, Saint Of Me.

As much as I like everything on HD, Angry was the appropriate lead off.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 24, 2024 09:50

MKjan
VL13

This is a Rolling Stones fansite. People have different ways of being fan of the Rolling Stones. Some think the Stones stopped being special when Brian Jones left. Some think Dirty Work is fantastic. Some think Ronnie or Mick Taylor or Brian Jones are the best/worst/something-else.
I guess people come here to tell their story on what they like and don't like about the Stones and see what other people think.
I get that if you like HD, you're not interested in someone saying he/she doesn't like it. On the other hand: sometimes opposite opinions might be more interesting than people agreeing with you, right?
Personally, I am shocked when people complain about Exile or when they compare "Get Close" to "Slave" or think that Angry is better than Start Me Up. But I don't whine about it (I hope).
Personally, I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks HD is not such a great thing. Not good, not bad, just irrelevant. I don't go on and on about it page after page, but I don't see what's wrong with sometimes people venting their views. And it's not as if the people criticizing HD all think the same, we have quite a varied set of opinions.
My advice: if you don't like to read certain opinions, skip them. And good luck on the internet.

Date: April 24, 2024 10:06

treaclefingers

[...]
It's too bad you two dudes don't like the album but tastes are gonna differ. Consensus is this album is the best since...sliced bread
[...]

Everyone is entitled to his or her own taste. And yes, here on this forum, most people seem to love HD. Or at least, the most active people on this forum (which are only one or two handfuls, really) seem to like it, so, yes, on this forum the consensus might be that.
But in the rest of the world? Are you kidding?
I think the last time guitar-based rock music really made an impression outside its own little corner was with Nirvana (and I don't even like Nirvana).
The last time the Stones made an impression in the world outside of the usual suspects, was with "Start Me Up". Which is an amazing feat, given that the first time they did that, with "Satisfaction", was 15 years earlier.
Few bands have achieved that.

Date: April 24, 2024 13:29

<I don't go on and on about it page after page>

Yet we know your stance about it - and that's fine. Same with me. I love it, and I think at least some people have noticed smiling smiley

However, going on and on about it might just be the reason for the post you're replying to, if I read it right.

Date: April 24, 2024 14:19

DandelionPowderman

Yet we know your stance about it - and that's fine. Same with me. I love it, and I think at least some people have noticed smiling smiley

However, going on and on about it might just be the reason for the post you're replying to, if I read it right.

Well, I *hope* I'm not going on and on about it but when I see someone posting about it in a way that I agree with, I occasionally like to express my agreement and/or add some new absolutely brilliant little observation reflecting my own point of view. I hope that's not too much harassment. I do try keeping this to a minimum.
I am pretty sure that the number of posts saying "I just listened again and I still think it's great" is larger, but I admit I haven't counted them and, in any case, they don't bother me at all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 95 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home