Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 93 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: April 13, 2024 17:07

After many months and repeated plays I still enjoy the whole record. My favourite part now is the middle, from Whole Wide World to Driving Me Too Hard. If I were to make the record perfect, I would kick out Bite My Head Off and Rolling Stone Blues, start with Living In A Ghost Town and add Eazy Sleazy before SSOH.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 13, 2024 20:13

walkingthedog
After many months and repeated plays I still enjoy the whole record. My favourite part now is the middle, from Whole Wide World to Driving Me Too Hard. If I were to make the record perfect, I would kick out Bite My Head Off and Rolling Stone Blues, start with Living In A Ghost Town and add Eazy Sleazy before SSOH.

It's hard to believe how different all us Stones fans feel about this album, personally for me, love the two singles and Keith's two tracks, but upset that Keith didn't have more input, finding it hard to come to terms with the fact Keith just lost interest in what became a Jagger Richards composition.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 13, 2024 23:17

It is what it is. The rhythm section is gone. 60 percent of the band is left. The song writing duo is not a duo anymore. Since decades. The renowned guests do not make a difference.
Still, I'm glad that they finally released some new music instead of touring warhorses around the clock. They are done now. It doesn't matter what they do next.
It's been a long run though and I'm grateful for it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 13, 2024 23:20

walkingthedog

ha ha...a lot to love. I actually put Easy Sleazy on a CD in my car in front of Angry and then the rest of the album, finishing with - after RS Blues, the live version of SSoH.

The only track that warbles a bit for me is Live By The Sword, and it isn't the whole song but mainly Mick's pedantic style of singing and the simplistic lyrics during the verses.

If they had left that off the album, or he had a different approach on it I think I'd rate this a 5 star album. I thought Keith's contribution was particularly good as the "Keith break".

I took a break from the album after playing it to death, for about 6 weeks. Coming back to it again and it still sounds fresh. We're very lucky to have this little resurgence and I look forward to what they deliver next.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 13, 2024 23:28

Stoneage
It is what it is. The rhythm section is gone. 60 percent of the band is left. The song writing duo is not a duo anymore. Since decades. The renowned guests do not make a difference.
Still, I'm glad that they finally released some new music instead of touring warhorses around the clock. They are done now. It doesn't matter what they do next.
But why did Keith sell out.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 13, 2024 23:39

keefriffhards
Stoneage

They're not, and he didn't.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2024 01:09

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2024 02:57

MKjan
keefriffhards
Stoneage

There is no plausible reason the same people keep coming on here and posting the same grievances...so it's best to just not engage them and maybe they'll get bored and just stop posting the nonsense.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 14, 2024 04:06

DandelionPowderman
matxil
retired_dog
matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

An objective review I think..

Yes, a fair review.

Ha ha, these are good ones! "Objective" and "fair". Fair because of what exactly? Because it supports your opinions? That's not what "fair" actually means, that's just... useful, useful for you.

Even more idiotic is the term "objective review". Simply because no such thing like an "objective review" exists. By definition, a review can only be subjective because it reflects the viewpoints and opinions of the actual reviewers, not more, not less.

If I would say, "I don't like a painting by Rembrandt because he can't paint", that would be unfair. If I would say, "it doesn't appeal to me, I think he's done better ones", it would be fair, and someone else could still disagree with it.
Or, if I could go to a supposedly fancy restaurant and I get a hamburger. (A good one, well done, tasty, the works). I could say: "I expected more", which would be a fair thing to say. Or I could say: "These people can't cook", which would be unfair. Other people might still be impressed by the hamburger of course and yet understand that not everyone feels the same. That's what fair reviews can achieve.

Delighted to have that cleared up, I remain yours faithfully, at your service.

Still, it's fair for you because it supports your opinion. A review is only an opinion smiling smiley

Well, that video is a very fair and objective opinion then.. and its not because it “ fits our opinion” ,its because it balances very well the positives and negatives of the record. My personal opinion of the album is way more harsh than what you hear on the video btw..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-14 04:12 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 14, 2024 04:16

treaclefingers
MKjan
keefriffhards
Stoneage

There is no plausible reason the same people keep coming on here and posting the same grievances...so it's best to just not engage them and maybe they'll get bored and just stop posting the nonsense.

You're right treaclefingers.

Date: April 14, 2024 04:19

MKjan
treaclefingers
MKjan
keefriffhards
Stoneage

You're right treaclefingers.

But how do we know what’s the nonesense?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2024 06:00

ha ha...a lot to love. I actually put Easy Sleazy on a CD in my car in front of Angry and then the rest of the album, finishing with - after RS Blues, the live version of SSoH.

[/quote]

How did you put Eazy Sleazy on a CD? I looked for it when it came out and could never find a commercial release.

Date: April 14, 2024 09:33

dedospegajosos
DandelionPowderman
matxil
retired_dog
matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

Ha ha, these are good ones! "Objective" and "fair". Fair because of what exactly? Because it supports your opinions? That's not what "fair" actually means, that's just... useful, useful for you.

Even more idiotic is the term "objective review". Simply because no such thing like an "objective review" exists. By definition, a review can only be subjective because it reflects the viewpoints and opinions of the actual reviewers, not more, not less.

If I would say, "I don't like a painting by Rembrandt because he can't paint", that would be unfair. If I would say, "it doesn't appeal to me, I think he's done better ones", it would be fair, and someone else could still disagree with it.
Or, if I could go to a supposedly fancy restaurant and I get a hamburger. (A good one, well done, tasty, the works). I could say: "I expected more", which would be a fair thing to say. Or I could say: "These people can't cook", which would be unfair. Other people might still be impressed by the hamburger of course and yet understand that not everyone feels the same. That's what fair reviews can achieve.

Still, it's fair for you because it supports your opinion. A review is only an opinion smiling smiley

Well, that video is a very fair and objective opinion then.. and its not because it “ fits our opinion” ,its because it balances very well the positives and negatives of the record. My personal opinion of the album is way more harsh than what you hear on the video btw..

It can never be objective, even though it might be more analytical than other reviews. It's still a reVIEW!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 14, 2024 11:55

Good point, Dandie. Probably being analytical might give the impression of being objective, but it really means that one is good with words, that is, being good in expressing one views by taking a lot of things into consideration. But subjective, all the same. It might be in best case convincing, but not objectively true.

But what goes for the review discussed here, no, I didn't bother to watch it. Those YouTube talking heads giving reviews is not my thing. They bore me to death. I prefer written ones. The ones I can read or glimpse as fast through as I want to see if there is a point there or not, you know, to see if there a reason to read it more carefully or not.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2024 12:21

Classic Rock album of 2023 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 14, 2024 15:48

24FPS

How did you put Eazy Sleazy on a CD? I looked for it when it came out and could never find a commercial release.[/quote]

It requires dedication 24FPS!

What I did was download Easy Sleazy from YouTube, then ripped the audio from the video in a software program, (I did the same actually with the entire Hackney album, and then SSoH live) and then lined them up and burned to a CD rom on my PC.

I know, really old school. And even though I have innumerable copies of the album already, this is the one that's still in my car. I figured this "play copy" can get scratched up and I'm not concerned.

Date: April 14, 2024 17:05

DandelionPowderman
dedospegajosos
DandelionPowderman
matxil
retired_dog
matxil
dedospegajosos
[www.youtube.com]

Yes, a fair review.

It can never be objective, even though it might be more analytical than other reviews. It's still a reVIEW!

Objective opinions exist my friend, doctors give them all the time...”its your decision, but this is my opinion given the info I have, etc..”

But we are not here to discuss semantics, we are here to talk about the album, so lets just move on...

Btw, what did you think about the review? Do you agree? You dont? Thats what i wanted to talk about from the get go

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-14 17:49 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 14, 2024 17:51

The Stones will never make an album that everyone agrees on, because they have gone through so many different generations, different musical sensibilities, etc.
So for me the album is a small masterpiece, for some it's mediocre, for others it's bad... let's move on it's only rock n roll (but a like it)!

Date: April 14, 2024 18:04

Testify
The Stones will never make an album that everyone agrees on, because they have gone through so many different generations, different musical sensibilities, etc.
So for me the album is a small masterpiece, for some it's mediocre, for others it's bad... let's move on it's only rock n roll (but a like it)!

Amen to that!

Date: April 14, 2024 18:27

Rockman

Thanks Rockman. Certainly a "fair and objective" review.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2024 00:34

treaclefingers
Rockman

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 15, 2024 03:41

Doxa
treaclefingers
Rockman

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Absolutely! Proves that I was wrong and that "fair and objective reviews" do indeed exist... My apologies to dedospegajosos and his gang...

Date: April 15, 2024 05:36

retired_dog
Doxa
treaclefingers
Rockman

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Absolutely! Proves that I was wrong and that "fair and objective reviews" do indeed exist... My apologies to dedospegajosos and his gang...

I have a gang? Cool!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-15 05:39 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 15, 2024 07:18

treaclefingers
Rockman

Yeah, it reminds me of the time when the The Force Awakens came out, every critic said it was the best star wars movie since Some Girls, sorry, The Empire Strikes Back..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-15 07:19 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2024 07:59

Stoneage

Still, and always will be, better than "The Beach Boys".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2024 08:04

treaclefingers
walkingthedog

The only track that warbles a bit for me is Live By The Sword, and it isn't the whole song but mainly Mick's pedantic style of singing and the simplistic lyrics during the verses.

If they had left that off the album, or he had a different approach on it I think I'd rate this a 5 star album. I thought Keith's contribution was particularly good as the "Keith break".

I took a break from the album after playing it to death, for about 6 weeks. Coming back to it again and it still sounds fresh. We're very lucky to have this little resurgence and I look forward to what they deliver next.

EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER still sound fresh - 6 weeks? SSOH has taken on it's on pantheon within Moonlight Mile, Shine A Light, Can You Hear The Music, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Melody, Down In A Hole, Worried About You, Feel On Baby, How Can I Stop.

Date: April 15, 2024 14:44

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
walkingthedog

EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER still sound fresh - 6 weeks? SSOH has taken on it's on pantheon within Moonlight Mile, Shine A Light, Can You Hear The Music, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Melody, Down In A Hole, Worried About You, Feel On Baby, How Can I Stop.

Yes, 6 weeks. I got into a jazz kick which was a great palate cleanser. Coming back to HD after that was like coming back to an old friend - I'd been listening to it non-stop for months!

But I agree with you as well; Emotional Rescue and Undercover still sound fresh over 40 years later and I suspect HD fit in that group.

Date: April 15, 2024 14:49

dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
Rockman

Yeah, it reminds me of the time when the The Force Awakens came out, every critic said it was the best star wars movie since Some Girls, sorry, The Empire Strikes Back..

A weak quip to be sure, but I salute you on the effort of your "campaign". A little "obsessive-compulsive" but certainly unwaivering.

Date: April 15, 2024 15:58

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
treaclefingers
Rockman

A weak quip to be sure, but I salute you on the effort of your "campaign". A little "obsessive-compulsive" but certainly unwaivering.

ha ha ha that's funny, can we talk about the album now instead of me treacle? ?

Date: April 15, 2024 17:34

Angry
Get Close
Depending on you
Tell Me Straight
Ride Em On Down
Live By The Sword
Mess It Up
Crosseyed Heart
Commit A Crime
Living In A Ghost Town
Blue and Lonesome
Rolling Stone Blues

Not bad, not bad a all.. Really nice compilation of the Stones sessions of the last decade. Listening to this every day now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-15 21:15 by dedospegajosos.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 93 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home