Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 91 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 4, 2024 15:33

pftw04
Hackney Diamond is a decent album. But not like its predecessors. Here prededecessors means post 1989. Post 1989, the opening song had set the tone of the album. For steel wheel it is sad sad sad, for vodoo lounge love is strong, for bridges to babylon it is flip the switch and for A bigger banf it is Rough justice. Anygry is good but not like its predecessors. However, they are still strong. Mick has the voice, Keith and Ronnie's majestic guitar work. And for the drummerr nothing to say. Yes Charlie was rock solid.

Oh, by the way please tell Rod Stewart not to tour. He can't even sing his own old songs. I was disappointed to watch his live concert of 2023.

It's funny how different opinions are.

For instance, I understand what you're saying about Rod's voice, however I also saw his show last year and we were rightly blown away by the spectacle. Lots of backup singers carrying the day and overall just a nice thing to take the wife to. I'd see him again, the entertainment value was very high and he was in great spirit, humour and commanded the audience and everyone I was with thoroughly enjoyed themselves..

With regards to to the songs you highlighted, I totally agree with your assertion that the lead song is important in the context of the album, as is the general sequencing. For me, Flip The Switch was an immediate turnoff for Bridges as a whole, which followed a generally weak series of songs with perhaps surprisingly 4 excellent tracks on 4 sides of vinyl.

Love Is Strong was pretty good, and the album was not bad, but songwriting generally struggled.

Rough Justice is almost excellent, but I wouldn't say better than Angry and there you have an album with a lot of good songs but a little too bloated with some unnecessary cuts. Trim that baby down and you almost have an excellent album.

Steel Wheels for me keeps growing in stature, production aside. Even the weaker cuts are not bad. It's a solid album with a great kickoff track.

The songwriting on HD as Dandelion opined is what makes the difference. It's a big album, lots of cuts but not much waste. If I had to lose a song it would be Live By The Sword, but I'm not concerned by it and I certainly wouldn't want to lose anything else.

This is a great album, in one fans opinion.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 4, 2024 18:47

treaclefingers

Funny but very understandable after all, given our different ages, provenances, musical background, tastes in contemporary music, if any etc.

C

Date: April 4, 2024 19:56

liddas
treaclefingers

Funny but very understandable after all, given our different ages, provenances, musical background, tastes in contemporary music, if any etc.

C

yup thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 5, 2024 10:05

Don't know what you all see in any of it...

...just a bunch of long haired layabouts making am awful bloody noise

...and they look old enough to know better !

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: April 5, 2024 11:00

smiling bouncing smiley...........ok Spud you say it in jest, I'm sure!!!!.............smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 5, 2024 12:07

Spud
Don't know what you all see in any of it...

...just a bunch of long haired layabouts making am awful bloody noise

...and they look old enough to know better !

Finally some decent talk here!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 5, 2024 22:38

<just a bunch of long haired layabouts making an awful bloody noise>

Mick Jagger said something similar in 1966 already. smoking smiley

grinning smileyRe: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Date: April 6, 2024 13:06

TheflyingDutchman

I recall he at least once - it was during the 70's I think - said 'we are just making noise, but we are glad if you call that music'...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-06 13:07 by Doxa.

Re: grinning smileyRe: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Date: April 6, 2024 17:50

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman

I recall he at least once - it was during the 70's I think - said 'we are just making noise, but we are glad if you call that music'...grinning smiley

- Doxa

My memory serves me so badly. You could be right, but he definitely said that. Thank you for the reminder. grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 7, 2024 11:25

pftw04
Hackney Diamond is a decent album. But not like its predecessors. Here prededecessors means post 1989. Post 1989, the opening song had set the tone of the album. For steel wheel it is sad sad sad, for vodoo lounge love is strong, for bridges to babylon it is flip the switch and for A bigger banf it is Rough justice. Anygry is good but not like its predecessors. However, they are still strong. Mick has the voice, Keith and Ronnie's majestic guitar work. And for the drummerr nothing to say. Yes Charlie was rock solid.

Oh, by the way please tell Rod Stewart not to tour. He can't even sing his own old songs. I was disappointed to watch his live concert of 2023.

Rod has been struggling to get anything out of his voice for decades, he can still sing the slow one's but needs to retire from singing the Rockers.
He's a great guy though and don't get me wrong, he was a soulfull singer and a strong performer and couldn't put a foot wrong in the 80's when the Stones really struggled to fit in with the synthesised crap that dominated the charts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-07 20:03 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 9, 2024 07:49

A BIGGER BANG was their SOME GIRLS 2 - totally out of nowhere, the one exception being their legacy, yet way too long.

STEEL WHEELS, as brilliant as it seems, suffers from the shiny nowness - they HAD to get it together. At times it reeks of desperation.

VOODOO - a great looseness... but too loose. Some of what they left off is better. Oh well. They've always made those bad kind of decisions.

BRIDGES... a masterpiece of schizophrenia - some really great tunes, some really bad tunes - and some tunes that are just Stones-by-numbers.

HACKNEY - the results of a concentrated effort - and way better than the previous 5 albums without a doubt - for me. Although that's going back to 1983 being their last really good album.

6 albums ago.

Absurd compared to their 1960s and 1970s (mostly) output. But we fans don't make the rules.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2024 22:09

Their best post-Wyman album. Although I have always thought of DJ's bass playing as no there, there, Steve Jordan is a great rock and roll drummer. Their most coherent album since Some Girls. The best bass playing since Steel Wheels. Some rockers. Some melodic ballads. A treat.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: April 10, 2024 18:08

Yes indeed...."a treat".....

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 10, 2024 22:55

I like half of it:

Angry: good
Get Close: very good
Depending: very good (even if sounds like from goddess in the doorway)
Bite My Head Off: Bad, almost embarrasing.
WWW: good verses, horrible chorus,woudnt show this song to someome im trying to get into he stones. Because of that crige chorus
Dreamy Skies: Autopilot stones..the lyrics are bad
Mess It Up: very good.Charlie. The bass is messy as hell though. Shoud habe been Wyman too.
Sword: Great
Driving me too hard: bad. Stones by numbers. Boring
Tell me straight: very good
Sweet Sound: a snoozefest, why not more guitar??
Rolling Stone: bad, Mick didnt want to do it, and he was right.

Sorry for my english, I was on a hurry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-10 22:58 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 10, 2024 23:41

dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

WWW: good verses, horrible chorus,woudnt show this song to someome im trying to get into he stones. Because of that crige chorus
Mess It Up: very good.Charlie. The bass is messy as hell though. Shoud habe been Wyman too.

Thank you for that break down. That made an analysis relatively straightforward and I've therefore been able to come to an irrefutable conclusion.

You lack good taste!

Don't worry, not everyone can have good taste. Your identifying "Sword" as the best cut was a clarifying moment for me!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 10, 2024 23:54

269 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 11, 2024 00:03

Rockman
269 ....

That sounds vaguely sexual.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 11, 2024 00:38

I might give it a couple more spins as Foxboro nears, but that's about it. It's just not to the same quality of so many other newer bands these days. Whiskey Myers, Tyler Childers, Blackberry Smoke. Hell even the new Crowes sounds more authentic than this Hack job. At least I'll be assured of getting what I believe to be 4 more songs heard live - Angry, TMS, MIU, and SSOH. That's about the only highlight. Thirty-five years in and I'm finally disappointed with a release.

Date: April 11, 2024 03:30

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos
I like half of it:

Thank you for that break down. That made an analysis relatively straightforward and I've therefore been able to come to an irrefutable conclusion.

You lack good taste!

Don't worry, not everyone can have good taste. Your identifying "Sword" as the best cut was a clarifying moment for me![/quote

Lack good taste?? That is your conclusion?? Give me a break Einstein... Live by the sword is great because it has talented musicians (may i say rock gods,the friggin ROLLING STONES) playing on it! Not just the remaning stones on top of mediocre session musicians, which is most of the material in here.Its a jewel on its own and specially compared to the average music on the rest on this. Talk about lack of taste....

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 07:40 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 11, 2024 03:43

VoodooLounge13
I might give it a couple more spins as Foxboro nears, but that's about it. It's just not to the same quality of so many other newer bands these days. Whiskey Myers, Tyler Childers, Blackberry Smoke. Hell even the new Crowes sounds more authentic than this Hack job. At least I'll be assured of getting what I believe to be 4 more songs heard live - Angry, TMS, MIU, and SSOH. That's about the only highlight. Thirty-five years in and I'm finally disappointed with a release.

I am truly happy that they finally have a new album under their belt and the “just a touring band” period is over. I really am. Having said that, I agree with you Voodoo, the album is in fact disppointing, not even close to what I expected a year ago. I am glad it exists though..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 03:45 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 11, 2024 08:06

I just listened to it again after months away from it. My first time listening to it this year, in fact. Thought maybe it would hit me differently with some space between listens.

I find myself feeling the same way I did last year.

I LOVE "Get Close", "Mess It Up" and "Sweet Sounds of Heaven".

I really like "Rollin' Stone" for what it represents, though if there truly is another album coming which may or may not be the last, it seems "Rollin' Stone" might be more symbolic and powerful on that (last?) release.

"Angry" is a fine rocker though the drums are just so thumping. Seemingly more so now than when I heard it initially. Jordan is a great musician and I love what he's done with the Winos and even John Mayer, but the thumpy drums on this album aren't great to my ear.

"Depending on You", "Whole Wide World" and "Dreamy Skies" remain Jagger solo sounding to me. Which is fine, but they feel like Mick and his guitar players instead of the Stones.

"Bite My Head Off" seems more fun to me now. Initially I felt it was such a throwaway, and it's still not great to me but it hits me more as a fun jam with little substance...which still makes it fun.

"Tell Me Straight" is fine but also kinda seems like a throwaway.

"Live By The Sword", the one I wanted to like the most...I like the least. Maybe it's the whole "hard on the things we love" but with Watts and Wyman on it I was really looking forward to this track and it's the album low point to me. Musically, lyrically...everything.

Overall, as some have already said, 'Hackney Diamonds' is the best post-Wyman album IMHO (albeit with him on one track) but I still likely won't reach for it very often.

Date: April 11, 2024 09:56

I'm with Steve Jordan on Dreamy Skies. He said «this is what I signed up for», and I don't think he meant a Mick solo track winking smiley

The more I listen to Dreamy Skies, the more I love the wonderful guitar playing by Ronnie and Keith. I can agree about the lyrics, that it isn't really interesting to hear again and again how much Mick wants to get away. And nothing really happens. No tension, excitement or drama.

There is a vibe to it, however, that i like. So the combination of the music and the lyrics works for me somehow.

HD wouldn't be as good as it is without Dreamy Skies, imo. It tipped the album up from very good to great thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 09:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 11, 2024 11:14

I'm not one for analysing anything much ...

..but I'm still getting this album out and playing it on a frequent basis.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 11, 2024 11:14

DandelionPowderman
I'm with Steve Jordan on Dreamy Skies. He said «this is what I signed up for», and I don't think he meant a Mick solo track winking smiley

The more I listen to Dreamy Skies, the more I love the wonderful guitar playing by Ronnie and Keith. I can agree about the lyrics, that it isn't really interesting to hear again and again how much Mick wants to get away. And nothing really happens. No tension, excitement or drama.

There is a vibe to it, however, that i like. So the combination of the music and the lyrics works for me somehow.

HD wouldn't be as good as it is without Dreamy Skies, imo. It tipped the album up from very good to great thumbs up

In the words of Keith "You can't polish a turd"winking smiley
Just kidding DP it's one of those songs that would work live if they decide to play it, Mick still has a good vocal range for this type of track in a live setting.

Date: April 11, 2024 12:40

Spud

I play it occasionally, like I would play any other good album. But what I find on it special is the way it brings me certain joy and pleasure like no other new or recent album by anyone does. No matter what is going on, all the trouble in the world, you put HACKNEY DIAMONDS on and suddenly you smile again. The way The Stones transit positive energy like no else does. They don't push it, and it cannot be faked. It all comes out so naturally, it is constituted in the DNA of their music. They are special and HACKNEY DIAMONDS is an unique piece of music these days. A beautiful statement. My little world needed it more I ever knew.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-11 12:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 11, 2024 14:38

Doxa
Spud

I play it occasionally, like I would play any other good album. But what I find on it special is the way it brings me certain joy and pleasure like no other new or recent album by anyone does. No matter what is going on, all the trouble in the world, you put HACKNEY DIAMONDS on and suddenly you smile again. The way The Stones transit positive energy like no else does. They don't push it, and it cannot be faked. It all comes out so naturally, it is constituted in the DNA of their music. They are special and HACKNEY DIAMONDS is an unique piece of music these days. A beautiful statement. My little world needed it more I ever knew.

- Doxa

Very beautifully put. I would agree

Date: April 11, 2024 14:46

From the whole album I really want to hear the following songs live:
Get Close (or even better: play the big brother off this song: Slave)
Depending on You
Dreamy Skies (this might be a difficult one to get this to work though)

Also nice, but depends on what song it replaces
Whole wide World
Tell me Straight
Angry
Sweet sounds

Please don't play it (Don't like the song or won't be great live)
Mess it Up
Driving me too hard
Live by the sword
Bite my head off
RS Blues

Date: April 11, 2024 14:51

I'm pretty sure they could pull off both Driving Me Too Hard and Live By The Sword nicely live.

Date: April 11, 2024 15:04

DandelionPowderman
I'm pretty sure they could pull off both Driving Me Too Hard and Live By The Sword nicely live.

I think driving me too hard would sound very cheese with those backup vocals. But yes they could play it very well I assume.

Trying to translate Live by the Sword in my head to a live version leads to trainwreck. Also not a song which would work good in stadiums I thnk.

Date: April 11, 2024 15:09

PaintMonkeyManBlack
DandelionPowderman

I think driving me too hard would sound very cheese with those backup vocals. But yes they could play it very well I assume.

Trying to translate Live by the Sword in my head to a live version leads to trainwreck. Also not a song which would work good in stadiums I thnk.

Maybe. But we should keep in mind that three chord-rockers like this one often are the ones that the Stones do best. Chuck can do the bridge with Mick.

I've always liked the «driving» back up-vocals smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596Next
Current Page: 91 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home