Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2024 03:33

Idorh
My wife passed away last Sunday after a 9-hour surgery due to constricted blood vessels. I don't want anyone around me right now, and I am intensely enjoying the album Hackney Diamonds. The album exudes emotion and energy. It soothes my grief.

Devastating. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Glad you are able to find a modicum of comfort in the Stones.

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: March 31, 2024 08:39

I am sorry to hear about this, but happy you are finding some comfort. I am in a similar situation. I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: March 31, 2024 13:56

Thank you so much for all the kind condolences, it does me a lot of good.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: March 31, 2024 15:40

Really sorry to hear this. So tragic and upsetting. Sincere condolences to you, your family and friends. Take care.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 1, 2024 09:32

Idorh, so very sorry for the loss of your wife. Condolences to you and your family.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 2, 2024 02:15

Idorh
My wife passed away last Sunday after a 9-hour surgery due to constricted blood vessels. I don't want anyone around me right now, and I am intensely enjoying the album Hackney Diamonds. The album exudes emotion and energy. It soothes my grief.

I feel very sorry for your lost....My sincere condolences ......hope you keep up the good memories and the joy you the both had.........

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 2, 2024 06:49

I've had time away from HD - and anything else.

Sold my house (home) of the last 10 years and, in the duration of being homeless for 11 days, I ordered, for reasons I have yet to figure out, HONK (2 cd) and TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

After getting in to the "new" house and getting a few things in order, started listening to them (as well as Dr Dre's THE CHRONIC and NWA - saw the Jimmy Kimmel show with Dre, Snoop and 50 and thought... I remember THE CHRONIC and Snoop starting out...).

Been listening to a few other things - Teskey Brothers, Beatles RED and BLUE albums (reissued but, as well, original CD issues ha ha), Jimmy Buffett, Pink Floyd, Beth Bombara, Drive-By Truckers, Elvis Costello, The Doors, Jason Isbell, Chuck Berry's last album, and AC/DC's POWER UP.

I find it interesting to listen to legacy artists' new(er) albums than just going to the vlassics: even with HD, it will never gain the attention, time wise, of even STEEL WHEELS (a vagillion times more interested in listening to HD than SW yet...) unless, of course, I opt for new vs old (I don't really need to listen to BEGGARS-SOUP in comparison to listening to HD). I'm more interested in the new than the old: I'd rather listen to Angry than Jumpin' Jack Flash.

HD is excellent. It won't surprise me in 10 or 15 years when the Stones are done or dead that HD is considered amongst their best LPs.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 2, 2024 12:20

GasLightStreet
I've had time away from HD - and anything else.

Sold my house (home) of the last 10 years and, in the duration of being homeless for 11 days, I ordered, for reasons I have yet to figure out, HONK (2 cd) and TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

After getting in to the "new" house and getting a few things in order, started listening to them (as well as Dr Dre's THE CHRONIC and NWA - saw the Jimmy Kimmel show with Dre, Snoop and 50 and thought... I remember THE CHRONIC and Snoop starting out...).

Been listening to a few other things - Teskey Brothers, Beatles RED and BLUE albums (reissued but, as well, original CD issues ha ha), Jimmy Buffett, Pink Floyd, Beth Bombara, Drive-By Truckers, Elvis Costello, The Doors, Jason Isbell, Chuck Berry's last album, and AC/DC's POWER UP.

I find it interesting to listen to legacy artists' new(er) albums than just going to the vlassics: even with HD, it will never gain the attention, time wise, of even STEEL WHEELS (a vagillion times more interested in listening to HD than SW yet...) unless, of course, I opt for new vs old (I don't really need to listen to BEGGARS-SOUP in comparison to listening to HD). I'm more interested in the new than the old: I'd rather listen to Angry than Jumpin' Jack Flash.

HD is excellent. It won't surprise me in 10 or 15 years when the Stones are done or dead that HD is considered amongst their best LPs.

Like yourself I have a fascination with favourite legacy artists latest work also. I can listen without constantly appraising it in contrast with the recognised classics. This past weekend was a return to HD and a revisit to The Who's 2019 'Who'.

HD I agree, definitely has that magic spark to it. That almost undefinable quality that elevates a collection from good to great.

I gave it a break for quite a while after Xmas, and on revisiting I have to say it sounds wonderful. Not a single track I'd skip, even 'Bite my Head Off'^ There are so many great moments on it - riffs, melodies, bridges - every song seems to have a hook that has lasting and replay value. Quality song writing. And to have that 60 years after their very first singles in '63, is astonishing.

I have 'Ghost Town' and even the 'Mess It Up' remix on as bonus tracks on the playlist. Normally remixes aren't for me, but this one has groove and feel.

For me, almost 5 months in, HD is a gem.

Date: April 2, 2024 12:36

"HD is excellent. It won't surprise me in 10 or 15 years when the Stones are done or dead that HD is considered amongst their best LPs"
I have a strong premonition that you will be proved right! It's lean, mean, a shower and a grower, it's not overstuffed, every track has something good going for it, which cannot be said of most legacy albums - recent Who and Macca ones I'd reviewed had good stuff, but lots of stuffing TBH. Somehow, the Stones avoided on that on HD, and it still sounds to me like a bit of a miracle, for a band like the Stones to make this and this time in their careers and lives.

PS be interested in comments on the new Beatles Red and Blue remixes/reissues

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: April 2, 2024 17:54

Some of my random thoughts about HD:

-It is better than A Bigger Bang and Blue & Lonesome, but I like ABB more

-Voodoo and Bridges ar far superior.

-I feel really happy they released a new album.

-It is good, not great by any strech of the imagination.

-It is absolutely ok and a pretty rational thing to do to love this album given the circumstances in witch it came to be.

- Mick shines on it and it makes me happy to hear the man sing like this at his age.

-The abscense of Charlie really hurts this album. It is too damn noticeable.

-The bass and drums sound awful.

-Get close is the best song, cool guitars, cool vibe, very danceable, a lot of energy and that beautiful sax.

-Most of the other songs, nothing better than Doom and Gloom.

-The guitar solo section on Depending on You and Tell Me Straight are very beautiful pieces of music. Love those 2 moments.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-02 19:11 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 2, 2024 19:33

MadMetaphoricalMax
"HD is excellent. It won't surprise me in 10 or 15 years when the Stones are done or dead that HD is considered amongst their best LPs"
I have a strong premonition that you will be proved right! It's lean, mean, a shower and a grower, it's not overstuffed, every track has something good going for it, which cannot be said of most legacy albums - recent Who and Macca ones I'd reviewed had good stuff, but lots of stuffing TBH. Somehow, the Stones avoided on that on HD, and it still sounds to me like a bit of a miracle, for a band like the Stones to make this and this time in their careers and lives.

The new mixes sound fantastic. There's nothing glaringly different. All of the Giles Martin remixes have been fantastic. Just as with GOATS HEAD SOUP, there's nothing jarringly different - there's no huge changes in the sound. Arguably better? That's subjective. What colour is better - green or blue? Maybe some days they are better. Regardless, they're great.

Although I do find it odd that the RED and BLUE reissues have more tracks on them (at least they're still in chronological order, except on vinyl). They weren't very long to begin with, part of what made them so great (I don't own 1, which I probably should get). When listening to the original reissues (2010) it was quite stunning to realize how many great songs they had - knowing there were a lot more not included - with both albums. Probably the best Beatles compilations in terms of integrity.

There's no comparison to any Stones comps (who can compare to The Beatles in that timeline or, really, beyond?) BIG HITS 1 and 2 are great but don't quite have the depth, although the UK edition of BH1 is much more interesting, and the US edition of BH2 is more precise.

I'm a fan of SHADE/TIME/SUCKING/REWIND and JUMP BACK. I like HONK but it's a bit odd - no Anybody Seen My Baby yet Streets Of Love is on it, and three tracks from B&L? Would've been better to include She's So Cold and She Was Hot and Shattered (one of those in place of, ha ha, Rock And A Hard Place or You Got Me Rocking).

But that's just whatever. I suppose, thank the digital music industry for playlists - we can all improve on a hits comp or make our own (I have a 1963-2023 playlist called, appropriately, LICK, and the HD songs fit perfectly, of course).

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 2, 2024 20:15

MadMetaphoricalMax

Beatles 2023 Red & Blue albums review - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 3, 2024 01:08

dedospegajosos

-It is absolutely ok and a pretty rational thing to do to love this album given the circumstances in witch it came to be.

- Mick shines on it and it makes me happy to hear the man sing like this at his age.

-Get close is the best song, cool guitars, cool vibe, very danceable, a lot of energy and that beautiful sax.

-The guitar solo section on Depending on You and Tell Me Straight are very beautiful pieces of music. Love those 2 moments.

Everyone is entitled to feel about the album in any way they want, though I find the bolded point a little condescending. Perhaps that wasn't your intention but it sort of plays that way, as though we don't really know what we're listening to and just relieved to be listening to something new. I completely disagree with your observation and point, if that was correct. ie, we're right to "love" the album given the "circumstances" and not possibly because it's actually good or great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 01:21 by treaclefingers.

Date: April 3, 2024 02:04

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

Everyone is entitled to feel about the album in any way they want, though I find the bolded point a little condescending. Perhaps that wasn't your intention but it sort of plays that way, as though we don't really know what we're listening to and just relieved to be listening to something new. I completely disagree with your observation and point, if that was correct. ie, we're right to "love" the album given the "circumstances" and not possibly because it's actually good or great.

Sorry, I dindnt mean to be condescending, I hate that, english is not may mother tongue.

I mean you can love an album if its great, and also you can love an album if its not. I really treasure this album because of the circumstances, their advance age, the fact that is the first in 18 years, and I really love this 3 guys. I almost love it, but not because it is a great album. I also love Briges a lot but I wouldnt call it a great album, it is just very special to me.

Date: April 3, 2024 06:03

treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

What's in bold is already understood by thousands, maybe even millions. As it has always been since (enter album title/year here).

Weak.

As always, there's one issue with such a judgement as "better than nothing": aside from critical judgement there is a fan base that says yey or ney.

Yet still there is one own's judgement.

Overall, there is other. The best since (etc) here.

It's now, not then. Is it good? Yes.

That's all that matters.

And if someone doesn't like it, fine. At this point, it's no different than saying they don't like STICKY FINGERS - their loss.

Anyone can talk blue in the face into a total disgrace and Spock, beam me up, otherwise - there's no comparing it to previous albums.

It's a GREAT album.

Date: April 3, 2024 06:31

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

What's in bold is already understood by thousands, maybe even millions. As it has always been since (enter album title/year here).

Weak.

As always, there's one issue with such a judgement as "better than nothing": aside from critical judgement there is a fan base that says yey or ney.

That's all that matters.

And if someone doesn't like it, fine. At this point, it's no different than saying they don't like STICKY FINGERS - their loss.

Anyone can talk blue in the face into a total disgrace and Spock, beam me up, otherwise - there's no comparing it to previous albums.

It's a GREAT album.

No it is not. Sticky Fingers is a GREAT album.

And besides I didnt say I dont like HD, I like it a lot, I just dont think it is a great album, it is good though, kinda like steel wheels.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 06:41 by dedospegajosos.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 3, 2024 09:06

dedospegajosos

And besides I didnt say I dont like HD, I like it a lot, I just dont think it is a great album, it is good though, kinda like steel wheels.

I think the comparison with Steel Wheels is very accurate. Good but not great.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 3, 2024 12:38

matxil
dedospegajosos

I also think that the comparison with STEEL WHEELS is accurate. There is a lot of common with that album. That sort of freshness and the band updating their sound at the time. It sounded so contemporary. Probably due to that STEEL WHEELS has a bit of 'flavor of the month' kinda feel in it in the long run. With its 80's style slick production, the father time has not been too kind to it. It is too early to say that about HACKNEY DIAMONDS. And that doesn't really matter now: carpe diem.

That said, probably due to HACKNEY DIAMONDS I have had a new appreciation towards STEEL WHEELS. The new album made me recall the happy times when that album was released - that being the last time I was truely excited about a new Stones album of originals (before HACKNEY DIAMONDS, that is). It was a strong statement at the time. VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG failed in that sense. That doesn't mean to say that those weren't good albums - those are and there are some great songs in them - but those lacked the sense of purpose, focus and point the great Stones albums have (one reason being that they were the victims of CD era).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 12:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 3, 2024 14:12

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

Spot on Gas

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

Weak.

That's all that matters.

It's a GREAT album.

Spot on Gas. It stands alone on its own merits. The most common argument is that it's not as good as so and so. Why do people feel the need to compare all the time? Do people really want the band to regurgitate the classic Stones' sound from the 70s? I certainly don't. That was then but this is now. It's a great album.

Date: April 3, 2024 16:20

Silver Dagger
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

Spot on Gas

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

Weak.

That's all that matters.

It's a GREAT album.

Spot on Gas. It stands alone on its own merits. The most common argument is that it's not as good as so and so. Why do people feel the need to compare all the time? Do people really want the band to regurgitate the classic Stones' sound from the 70s? I certainly don't. That was then but this is now. It's a great album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 16:33 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 3, 2024 16:27

Silver Dagger
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

Spot on Gas

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

Weak.

That's all that matters.

It's a GREAT album.

Yeah, when I listen to such gems like OUT OF OUR HEADS or AFTERMATH I certainly am not missing 'the classic Stones' sound from the 70's' either. Quite the contrary: those are wonderful exactly as they are. It is great that the albums from dfferent eras sound different. The opposite would be awful.

- Doxa

Date: April 3, 2024 16:36

Doxa
Silver Dagger
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

Spot on Gas

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

Weak.

That's all that matters.

It's a GREAT album.

Yeah, when I listen to such gems like OUT OF OUR HEADS or AFTERMATH I certainly am not missing 'the classic Stones' sound from the 70's' either. Quite the contrary: those are wonderful exactly as they are. It is great that the albums from dfferent eras sound different. The opposite would be awful.

- Doxa

And I have 0 interest in them regurgitating anything. That is why Driving me too hard is my least favorite of HD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 16:37 by dedospegajosos.

Date: April 3, 2024 16:50

dedospegajosos
Doxa
Silver Dagger
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
dedospegajosos

Spot on Gas

BELAY THAT PARLAY!

Weak.

That's all that matters.

It's a GREAT album.

- Doxa

And I have 0 interest in them regurgitating anything. That is why Driving me too hard is my least favorite of HD.

Yeah, I get your point (and I wasn't actually replying to you). Resemblance and quality are naturally two different things. Your critisism of HACKNEY DIAMONDS was not based on it not sounding like, say, EXILE, but how it sounds on its own terms. You just weren't that impressed how they ended up sounding like in 2023.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-03 16:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 3, 2024 17:18

Silver Dagger

This seems to be a misunderstanding that pops up sometimes in this thread.
I don't think hardly anyone wants the Stones to imitate great albums from the past. I don't want an imitation Let It Bleed or a second EOMS. They tried that with Voodoo Loung and nobody liked it very much.
If I want them to do something great "like EOMS was great", that doesn't mean that I want them to repeat EOMS. Take Tattoo You. That was a great album again, like EOMS was great, but not like EOMS.
I agree with Doxa that pre-HD, Steel Wheels was the last time they had a consistent album, a bit slick indeed, but a unified feel and with a slightly new feel, which is to appreciate. The same can be said of HD. They are both good albums but neither is great. (IMHO).

Date: April 3, 2024 17:28

matxil
Silver Dagger

This seems to be a misunderstanding that pops up sometimes in this thread.
I don't think hardly anyone wants the Stones to imitate great albums from the past. I don't want an imitation Let It Bleed or a second EOMS. They tried that with Voodoo Loung and nobody liked it very much.
If I want them to do something great "like EOMS was great", that doesn't mean that I want them to repeat EOMS. Take Tattoo You. That was a great album again, like EOMS was great, but not like EOMS.
I agree with Doxa that pre-HD, Steel Wheels was the last time they had a consistent album, a bit slick indeed, but a unified feel and with a slightly new feel, which is to appreciate. The same can be said of HD. They are both good albums but neither is great. (IMHO).

Agree 100% ...and also with Doxa

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 3, 2024 21:00

The Rolling Stones have many great albums. HD is one of them. Over 60 years of
great albums.Enjoy.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 3, 2024 21:18

MKjan
The Rolling Stones have many great albums. HD is one of them. Over 60 years of
great albums.Enjoy.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 4, 2024 10:24

Doxa
... Spot on Gas. It stands alone on its own merits. The most common argument is that it's not as good as so and so. Why do people feel the need to compare all the time? Do people really want the band to regurgitate the classic Stones' sound from the 70s? I certainly don't. That was then but this is now. It's a great album.

- Doxa[/quote]

Precisely !

If the Stones had spent the last 60 years regurgitating the same stuff, there'd be far fewer folks debating on these pages ..but they'd all probably love everything the band had ever done .

Out of Our Heads, Aftermath, Sticky Fingers , Some Girls, Tattoo You, Hackney Diamonds

Each one was made by a different band...either in terms of personnel or, sometimes, just direction.

Isn't that a huge part of this band's greatness ?

We all probably have our favourite era from the band's history, [often influenced for each of us by when got onboard.]

The danger is that we then judge everything not from our favourite period to be less good and we get taste mixed up with judgement of quality.

Date: April 4, 2024 10:47

matxil
dedospegajosos

The main difference for me is the songwriting, which I find overall superior on HD. SW has filler in addition to some good/great songs.

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: April 4, 2024 13:55

Hackney Diamond is a decent album. But not like its predecessors. Here prededecessors means post 1989. Post 1989, the opening song had set the tone of the album. For steel wheel it is sad sad sad, for vodoo lounge love is strong, for bridges to babylon it is flip the switch and for A bigger banf it is Rough justice. Anygry is good but not like its predecessors. However, they are still strong. Mick has the voice, Keith and Ronnie's majestic guitar work. And for the drummerr nothing to say. Yes Charlie was rock solid.

Oh, by the way please tell Rod Stewart not to tour. He can't even sing his own old songs. I was disappointed to watch his live concert of 2023.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home