Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 24, 2024 13:07

Hi,

Most of you probably have it already, but the Hackney Diamonds CD and Blu-Ray Audio Box Set is currently at the lowest price it has ever been on Amazon.co.uk.
Even last month it was between £38.00 and £45.00. ASIN: B0CGXNGYKN
To clarify, the price was £27.14 when I posted this.

Hackney Diamonds CD & Blu-ray Box Set Amazon.co.uk

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-26 00:10 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 24, 2024 15:45

It's currently £ 27.14 there and € 27.59 on [www.Amazon.it] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 24, 2024 15:56

Irix

It's currently £ 27.14 there and € 27.59 on [www.Amazon.it] .

Weirdly I see it at £22.62. I wonder why that is?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 24, 2024 16:35

treaclefingers

It depends on shipping costs - when I change the delivery to Canada, it's £ 22.62 in my web browsers (instead of £ 27.14).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-24 16:55 by Irix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 25, 2024 00:28

Irix
treaclefingers

It depends on shipping costs - when I change the delivery to Canada, it's £ 22.62 in my web browsers (instead of £ 27.14).

If there ever was a reason to move to Canada eh?!

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: March 26, 2024 11:18

SonicDreamer
Hi,

Most of you probably have it already, but the Hackney Diamonds CD and Blu-Ray Audio Box Set is currently at the lowest price it has ever been on Amazon.co.uk.
Even last month it was between £38.00 and £45.00. ASIN: B0CGXNGYKN
To clarify, the price was £27.14 when I posted this.

Hackney Diamonds CD & Blu-ray Box Set Amazon.co.uk

Cheers,
SonicD

Thank you for pointing this out! £56 was always too much and I would never have paid that, but £27 is in my price range! Ordered it last night smiling smiley

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: March 27, 2024 05:04

I like the 3-tier approach to evaluating our favorite Stones studio albums (US studio albums for me). Here's my 3 tiers (tier 1 is in order but 2 and 3 not necessarily in order - HD makes the back end of tier 1 for me tied with OOOH):

Tier 1 - EOMS/ SF/ LIB/ Aftermath/ BB/ TY/ GHS/ SG/ HD and OOOH

Tier 2 - (not in order) RS NOW/ DC / TSMR/ IORR/ Black and Blue/ ER/ Undercover/ VL/ Blue and Lonesome

Tier 3 - (not in order) ENHM/ 12X5/ BTB (Buttons)/ BTB (Bridges)/ DW/ SW/ ABB

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 27, 2024 08:40

The main thing is that they have finally released a new album. That's good enough. Ranking it I would compare it to albums in their latter day production.
In line with that. Still, it's a good thing that they got this one together. The Rolling Stones' core production ended with TY. But that is another story.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 27, 2024 10:04

Taylor1
Doxa
Taylor1
The important thing is that there are no overdubs on YaYa’s of the instruments except the rhythm guitar on Carol, which was insignificant to the overall performance to begin with. It is a”live” album

Hmm.. so vocals are not that important part of a performance? I've seen this attitude pretty often that over-dubbing or 'fixing' - to use Rocky Dijon's word - vocals 'do not really matter'. But I don't buy it. When I go to see The Stones I am not going to see The Shadows. What Jagger does there - the noise he makes - is a big part of that experience. Now, if I'd like to have an authentic documentation of that show, those should be included, not to be substituted by some studio recording afterwards. To me vocals is an integral part of the band sound, one of the most important and distinguished instruments. To do something about it, is as as much breaking the rules of authenticity of a live performance than any of the other instruments. Nothing wrong with that, but that should apply to other things as well, if we are to be consistent. No double standards.

- Doxa
I hear very little difference between Jagger’s vocals on the bootleg tracks and Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out .And you are overstating the overdubs.Arr they on every track? So if it bothers you, listen to the bootlegs.They show a great band playing great.There is also the Street Fighting Man on YouTube from one of the MSG shows where Mick yells at the end,”We Gotta Go”,which is not on the Ya Ya’s album which is better and has the original vocals.Also I like to listen to the songs without the vocals just to hear how great the band sounds

Oh, I am perfectly fine with Jagger's vocals in YA-YA'S, over-dub or not, like I am generally towards live albums being fingered a bit afterwards in order to make it a better listening. I don't really care since I don't see them as a pure or totally authentic document of some particular concert or performance, but more like an attempt to make a certain impression of the band and of the concert at the time. They are made to work like any commercial record: sounding good on your record player. To really capture the concert experience - you know, how the band actually sounds and feels like in concert - is something probably never able to capture that well. Bootlegs tell something, but unfortunately many times they are sonically not that qood representations and ask quite a lot from the listener (especially imagination).

My point was just say that in my book there is not difference between overdubbing or editing vocals or, say, guitars: over-dubbing or editing all the same. But I am fine with that.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-27 10:12 by Doxa.

Date: March 27, 2024 10:50

Stoneage
The main thing is that they have finally released a new album. That's good enough. Ranking it I would compare it to albums in their latter day production.
In line with that. Still, it's a good thing that they got this one together. The Rolling Stones' core production ended with TY. But that is another story.

Indeed it is another story and one that ended over 40 years ago - that's more than an average life expectation during ancient times. But the point is one still only wants to live in those ancient times. Or if see that there is life after that. The context matters, like GasLightStreet tends to say (where the hell he is, by the way?). The comparison to latter day albums - after TATTOO YOU, that is - is perfectly fine and there is a lot to compare to. Those albums offer a lot to to enjoy there for a Rolling Stones fan who is not only after highlights. Not any song need to be "Gimme Shelter" or any album EXILE ON MAIN STREET. If it is the top quality that only matters a consistent critical listener should only listen HOT ROCKS. Actually I have friends - call them casual fans - who actually are like that. Why to listen "Angry" or "Love Is Strong" if there is "Paint It Black"? I cannot argue with that logic. Namely, even a uncritical cheerleader fan like me notices that there is a quality difference between those - but still sees the former ones damn good songs and feels the world is a much better place with having those songs than having not.

It's Only Rock'n'Roll. HACKNEY DIAMONDS is a great, unique album and a wonderful latter-day statement in its own terms. We Stones fans are lucky bastards. Aah, it's not EXILE ON MAIN STREET or even TATTOO YOU or SOME GIRLS? No shit, Holmes.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-27 11:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 27, 2024 14:23

If you embrace any artist's work through this many decades, it is similar to a lifelong relationship. You remember the late teens and twenties when life was fresh and exciting. The energy of those years can never be recaptured. The next couple of decades, the relationship remains strong, you're no longer "kids," and those years are transitional without realizing it. You hit middle age and you start looking it. Your bodies slow down. There's a familiarity that is comfortable, although sometimes it feels routine and, if you're honest, you're sometimes just going through the motions because it's easier than thinking about it. Suddenly, you find you've become an old couple. The love has deepened. Your life is an accumulation of memories, but the main thing is having kept it together despite rough patches that seemed to spell the end of your union. The life you share is still joyous and you still know why you stayed with each other through it all. The joy is tinged with melancholy because the decades passed too quickly and the years remaining feel more uncertain because of age and health. What matters is the life you made together, the relationships formed or the body of work created. That separates you from those who didn't go the distance. In the end, Andrew Oldham was right. They weren't just a band. They were a way of life.

Date: March 27, 2024 15:41

Great stuff, Rocky. Yeah, it is like a marriage to dig this band. With all those ups and downs. So human. Although sometimes it feels like a life sentence...

I guess I had once a certain feel like (pardon my language - I have listened Keith Richards too much) 'okay, this bitch is too old and tiresome now. The same old, the same old, I cannot stand no more. I am wasting my precious time. So me, still virile, I go to seek after younger flesh.' Sounds good in a theory, but my bloody heart vetoed it. And there was no one like the old bitch. So it took me some time to come with terms we all get old and I cannot demand my beloved Rolling Stones to offer me goods like they used to. But still they give me something like no one else does. It was the latter I realized some time ago, and I've been cherished that and those bits since then. Carpe diem.

It is not just them being around like forever, and being unique in this sense, it's also us fans who have no predecessors for following such a life long thing - you know, as a teenager being hooked by a pop act, and never really letting that go - growing away from that... The future historians might also study us - rock and roll generations - as a pretty extraordinary phenomenon in cultural history... For many we already look pretty funny... And sometimes when I look at the mirror I cannot but laugh! grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-27 16:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 27, 2024 18:32

Doxa
Stoneage

Indeed it is another story and one that ended over 40 years ago - that's more than an average life expectation during ancient times. But the point is one still only wants to live in those ancient times. Or if see that there is life after that. The context matters, like GasLightStreet tends to say (where the hell he is, by the way?). The comparison to latter day albums - after TATTOO YOU, that is - is perfectly fine and there is a lot to compare to. Those albums offer a lot to to enjoy there for a Rolling Stones fan who is not only after highlights. Not any song need to be "Gimme Shelter" or any album EXILE ON MAIN STREET. If it is the top quality that only matters a consistent critical listener should only listen HOT ROCKS. Actually I have friends - call them casual fans - who actually are like that. Why to listen "Angry" or "Love Is Strong" if there is "Paint It Black"? I cannot argue with that logic. Namely, even a uncritical cheerleader fan like me notices that there is a quality difference between those - but still sees the former ones damn good songs and feels the world is a much better place with having those songs than having not.

It's Only Rock'n'Roll. HACKNEY DIAMONDS is a great, unique album and a wonderful latter-day statement in its own terms. We Stones fans are lucky bastards. Aah, it's not EXILE ON MAIN STREET or even TATTOO YOU or SOME GIRLS? No shit, Holmes.

- Doxa

I moved! Lost the cord to my laptop, which I just turned on, although going off battery. No idea where the cord is!

The vocals on GYYO are nowhere anywhere near how they were live, JJF being the biggest offender.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 28, 2024 09:56

Doxa
... and I cannot demand my beloved Rolling Stones to offer me goods like they used to. But still they give me something like no one else does...

- Doxa

And that I think also sums it up for me, and doubtless for many other folks around here.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 28, 2024 17:15

I have a strange relationship with HD.

Every single Stones album I bough in my life remained on heavy rotation for at least one month. I can say how much I really like an album by counting how many times I go back to it after that first month of repeated listens and how many songs make me want to pick up the guitar and try to figure out how to play them.

I might have listened to HD not more than 50 times since its release, and only on apple music. The LP is still sealed, I haven't even cared to buy the CD.

The only song I gave a try on guitar is Sweet Sounds.

Yet I love the album, and more so at every new listen.

Its as if I need to get used to it!

For the record, so far my favs are Dreamy Skies, Live by sword (besides it being a recycled Sweet Neo Con) tell me Straigh and, of course Sweet Sounds-

C

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 28, 2024 17:22

Ok, Liddas. Yeah. That´s how it is for you.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: March 28, 2024 22:41

liddas
I have a strange relationship with HD.

Every single Stones album I bough in my life remained on heavy rotation for at least one month. I can say how much I really like an album by counting how many times I go back to it after that first month of repeated listens and how many songs make me want to pick up the guitar and try to figure out how to play them.

I might have listened to HD not more than 50 times since its release, and only on apple music. The LP is still sealed, I haven't even cared to buy the CD.

The only song I gave a try on guitar is Sweet Sounds.

Yet I love the album, and more so at every new listen.

Its as if I need to get used to it!

For the record, so far my favs are Dreamy Skies, Live by sword (besides it being a recycled Sweet Neo Con) tell me Straigh and, of course Sweet Sounds-

C

Guitarwise, one of their least interesting albums... Mick is the only one who shines here

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: March 28, 2024 22:45

My wife passed away last Sunday after a 9-hour surgery due to constricted blood vessels. I don't want anyone around me right now, and I am intensely enjoying the album Hackney Diamonds. The album exudes emotion and energy. It soothes my grief.

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: March 28, 2024 22:49

Oh, sending you compassion...and loving hackney as you do

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: March 28, 2024 22:54

Idorh
My wife passed away last Sunday after a 9-hour surgery due to constricted blood vessels. I don't want anyone around me right now, and I am intensely enjoying the album Hackney Diamonds. The album exudes emotion and energy. It soothes my grief.

Many, many condolences Idorh. I hope the album keeps giving you some joy.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: March 29, 2024 04:38

We are all hardcore fans here, we just have different opinions on HD
I think is their most cohesive album since Tattoo You, and coming from 80yr old guys with absolutely nothing to prove, makes it a better record than, let’s say, Undercover or Bridges.
I didn't expect the album to be that good. I was afraid of Andy Watt’s involvement I admit.
But I think the guy did a great job (his bass playing is great, too)

Clearly there was an intention to begin the record with 3 strong songs, and there’s when Watt’s input makes the difference. He helped Mick & Keith with those songs a lot, I mean, who knew the Glimmer Twins were that generous to give an ”outsider” songwriting credits? It’s because the guy deserved it.

Production approach, yes, makes it a modern sounding record. I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
Watt is a modern producer. He’s really young. But he also is a lifelong Stones fan. He respected the essence of the Stones, the ”weaving” between Keith and Ronnie guitars.

”Angry” started as a riff written by Mick and then he played it with Steve Jordan. Keith made his contribution here: his simple but powerful bass line and a trademark minimalistic solo.

”Get Close” is a typical Keith riff in open G tuning in the key of D (lots of familiar riffs were written by Keith on ”D” using his 5 five string open tuning……..Take it So Hard, One More Shot, Can’t you hear me knocking, Mixed Emotions, etc)

”Depending on you” is basically a Mick ballad but with a strong input from Keith and Watt. In fact the song is in Open G tuning. Keith influence on Mick. Like Brown Sugar.

”Bite My Head Off” is, form me, the weakest song in the album. If the Stones go ”punk” it has to be groovy and new-wavish (”Shattered”)…..if not, since this is a modern sounding record, it does not work. Mac Cartney much publicised ”fuzz bass solo” adds nothing the song.

”Whole Wide World” Keith shortened Mick’s riff to a half of the bars and when playing it with Steve he did it with his own style. Chorus is Mick pop by numbers. Ronnie is of fire in this one.

”Dreamy Skies” is vintage Stones country song. I think it should have been shorter. The last singing part of the song is redundant. Keith backing vocals are stunning.

”Mess it up” Jagger wrote it ”for a DJ”. Mick himself said Keith wanted to replace the synth heavy verses and intro with a guitar riff. He did it. Another Keith contribution here.

”Live by the Sword” didn’t like it at first. Maybe too simple. But it has grown on me. Mick’s lyrics are dumb. There’s a nice groove, interesting guitar parts, and Elton John piano is fabulous.

”Driving me to hard” is 100% Keith. I sounds like maybe it was left out of ”Crosseyed Heart”.
Mick does a fine job on this one. He almost never oversings it.
The intro is derivative from ”Tumblin’ Dice” but I love DMTH

”Tell me straight” I know some people here don’t like it. I think is beautiful. Dark. Introspective. The lyrics have a special meaning for me at this moment of my life. I really can’t compare it to ”Slipping Away” or ”Sleep Tonight”. I think TMS is on the same league.

”Sweet Sounds of Heaven” is great. Almost everybody think is very good.
Pretty much nothing to discuss here.

”Rolling Stone Blues” sounds pure and authentic. There are no studio tricks. Two guys, one guitar, an harp & one mic. That’s it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-29 04:44 by kid killowatt.

Date: March 29, 2024 07:15

Idorh

So sorry to hear that, Idorh. All the power to you.

Glad to hear The Stones can help you at this moment. That music has that amazing, even transcendental power, I know. They, despite all the darkness and negative feelings in their music, of maybe because of that, they bring so much joy into this world. The way they transform negative things into positive. Desperation into hope. Overcoming the bad times. But not faking anything, all of it happening naturally. This is something I have for some time liked to write about more, but out of respect for you, I will not try to do it now.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-29 07:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 29, 2024 09:44

Idorh

My sincere condolences, Idorh.

Posted by: godzi68 ()
Date: March 29, 2024 15:17

Idorh

My sincerest condolences, Idorh. Very sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you.

Date: March 29, 2024 16:14

My sincere condolences.

Date: March 29, 2024 16:14

My sincere condolences for your loss.

Posted by: KeVvV2011 ()
Date: March 30, 2024 01:28

Idorh
I'm so sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2024 07:08

Idorh

Holy crap.

Ugh.

I hope, at some point, you can focus on all the good things and not the end.

I have lived those words and it turns out they're true. She even said as much but reality is way different than words.

My wife died in September of 2017 and it's been, well, perhaps "interesting" is subjective, but, it's been extremely difficult to maintain a center.

Life is fragile and precious. Even The Rolling Stones have figured that out.

Glad to read that HACKNEY DIAMONDS is enjoyful even with your new reality. Hopefully you can continue to find solace of some sort via music (and a whole lot of other things in life) somehow someway, even if that requires the rest of your life.

So sorry to read that.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 30, 2024 12:24

kid killowatt
We are all hardcore fans here, we just have different opinions on HD
I think is their most cohesive album since Tattoo You, and coming from 80yr old guys with absolutely nothing to prove, makes it a better record than, let’s say, Undercover or Bridges.
I didn't expect the album to be that good. I was afraid of Andy Watt’s involvement I admit.
But I think the guy did a great job (his bass playing is great, too)

Clearly there was an intention to begin the record with 3 strong songs, and there’s when Watt’s input makes the difference. He helped Mick & Keith with those songs a lot, I mean, who knew the Glimmer Twins were that generous to give an ”outsider” songwriting credits? It’s because the guy deserved it.

Production approach, yes, makes it a modern sounding record. I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
Watt is a modern producer. He’s really young. But he also is a lifelong Stones fan. He respected the essence of the Stones, the ”weaving” between Keith and Ronnie guitars.

”Angry” started as a riff written by Mick and then he played it with Steve Jordan. Keith made his contribution here: his simple but powerful bass line and a trademark minimalistic solo.

”Get Close” is a typical Keith riff in open G tuning in the key of D (lots of familiar riffs were written by Keith on ”D” using his 5 five string open tuning……..Take it So Hard, One More Shot, Can’t you hear me knocking, Mixed Emotions, etc)

”Depending on you” is basically a Mick ballad but with a strong input from Keith and Watt. In fact the song is in Open G tuning. Keith influence on Mick. Like Brown Sugar.

”Bite My Head Off” is, form me, the weakest song in the album. If the Stones go ”punk” it has to be groovy and new-wavish (”Shattered”)…..if not, since this is a modern sounding record, it does not work. Mac Cartney much publicised ”fuzz bass solo” adds nothing the song.

”Whole Wide World” Keith shortened Mick’s riff to a half of the bars and when playing it with Steve he did it with his own style. Chorus is Mick pop by numbers. Ronnie is of fire in this one.

”Dreamy Skies” is vintage Stones country song. I think it should have been shorter. The last singing part of the song is redundant. Keith backing vocals are stunning.

”Mess it up” Jagger wrote it ”for a DJ”. Mick himself said Keith wanted to replace the synth heavy verses and intro with a guitar riff. He did it. Another Keith contribution here.

”Live by the Sword” didn’t like it at first. Maybe too simple. But it has grown on me. Mick’s lyrics are dumb. There’s a nice groove, interesting guitar parts, and Elton John piano is fabulous.

”Driving me to hard” is 100% Keith. I sounds like maybe it was left out of ”Crosseyed Heart”.
Mick does a fine job on this one. He almost never oversings it.
The intro is derivative from ”Tumblin’ Dice” but I love DMTH

”Tell me straight” I know some people here don’t like it. I think is beautiful. Dark. Introspective. The lyrics have a special meaning for me at this moment of my life. I really can’t compare it to ”Slipping Away” or ”Sleep Tonight”. I think TMS is on the same league.

”Sweet Sounds of Heaven” is great. Almost everybody think is very good.
Pretty much nothing to discuss here.

”Rolling Stone Blues” sounds pure and authentic. There are no studio tricks. Two guys, one guitar, an harp & one mic. That’s it.
Whole Wide World is a great song with some of Mick’s best lyrics

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 30, 2024 17:04

Idorh

Sincere condolences to you and your family mate.

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1976
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home