Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 16, 2024 16:22

treaclefingers
Irix
Doxa

So what exactly is the reason to complain? Why not just listening them?

Maybe complaining helps for better sound-quality of future releases. And not everyone has the opportunity to get all formats of a release and can choose the one with the best sound-quality.

Yes I have to agree. I still don't understand why creating a poorer sounding version for mass release is preferable. It's because "youth" are listening to this through ear buds, and that makes it sound better? Is that true?

It's being done purposefully, I just don't understand why it's preferable to do it this way, especially when they create a "regular" version that is high fidelity.

If it's "poorer" is certainly subjective. It's how pop and rock music is mastered these days - first of all it's a stylistic choice because it will fit into the soundscape of all the other albums that are released. Also it sounds more compact and on earbuds and smarthomes or in the car stereo it will probably sound better than a dynamic mix. That's how music is listened to by the majority of people who are no audiophiles.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 16, 2024 16:32

Irix
Doxa

Maybe complaining helps for better sound-quality of future releases. And not everyone has the opportunity to get all formats of a release and can choose the one with the best sound-quality.

Yeah, you have a point there. In a way the comeback of vinyl format - that was considered dead and gone by music industry for some time - is an example that sometimes a clock can be turned back. I guess the revival was mostly due to someone shouting aloud and someone taking a notice...

But personally I don't have much hopes for swimming against the mainstream here. I see the future and it doesn't look too good at the moment... My stance is more like: let us enjoy while they still release stuff in some other form than digitally in streaming services that dictates the soundscapes of the music, taken the medium it is mostly listened from. But soon the people still buying music, especially in physical format, are gone. Sorry being so pessimist, but it is what it is... But all kudos to anyone fighting for the ideals they believe in!

- Doxa

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 16, 2024 16:41

Doxa
Irix
Doxa

Yeah, you have a point there. In a way the comeback of vinyl format - that was considered dead and gone by music industry for some time - is an example that sometimes a clock can be turned back. I guess the revival was mostly due to someone shouting aloud and someone taking a notice...

But personally I don't have much hopes for swimming against the mainstream here. I see the future and it doesn't look too good at the moment... My stance is more like: let us enjoy while they still release stuff in some other form than digitally in streaming services that dictates the soundscapes of the music, taken the medium it is mostly listened from. But soon the people still buying music, especially in physical format, are gone. Sorry being so pessimist, but it is what it is... But all kudos to anyone fighting for the ideals they believe in!

- Doxa

Also you have so accept a bit than time moves on and sound ideals + trends change.
On a contemporary recording
- autotune and other pitch correction will be used
- samples will be used
- the recording will be digitally recorded and edited in pro tools
- songs lenghts in general will be much shorter than before the streaming age
- most of the time the mixing process already involves a limter on the sum.
- the mastering will reduce the dynamic range even further and ensure that it sounds good on consumer equipment

Complaining about that is as if you were living in the 80s and complained about too much reverb on the drums and drum machines.

For me personally I don't need to listen to a brickwalled Exile or Sticky Fingers. For those I like to grab an earlier mastering. But for a 2023 album, give me the modern mastering - it's how it is intended to sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 16:42 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 16, 2024 16:45

StonedRambler

It's how pop and rock music is mastered these days

Not for (new) albums e.g. by Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree - they show that it can be done better:

2021 Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation: DR10-13 - [www.ProStudioMasters.com] , 2023 Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex: DR10-11 - [www.ProStudioMasters.com] .

StonedRambler

Also it sounds more compact and on earbuds and smarthomes or in the car stereo it will probably sound better than a dynamic mix. That's how music is listened to by the majority of people who are no audiophiles.

That's the problem nowadays: "Everything seems somehow mixed for kitchen radios, car stereos or thinly squawking smartphones" - (quote from the German HiFi-Magazine STEREO in 2021).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 18:50 by Irix.

Date: February 16, 2024 16:47

But as far as HACKNEY DIAMONDS goes, my ears are so used to the brickwall limitation that it doesn't bother me any longer at all. To me the album sounds great as it is. I guess the audiophile in me has died a long time ago... So I guess it is better for me to stick into CD and digital formats, and stay away from vinyl or Dolby Atmos versions to not spoil the listening experience...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 16, 2024 17:25

I'll make just one more comment.

If music had always sounded like most of the recordings we make of it today...it might never have caught on at all.

It's like watching an epic movie remade in CGI or looking at a pixelated Van Gogh .grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 16, 2024 17:36

StonedRambler
treaclefingers
Irix
Doxa

Yes I have to agree. I still don't understand why creating a poorer sounding version for mass release is preferable. It's because "youth" are listening to this through ear buds, and that makes it sound better? Is that true?

It's being done purposefully, I just don't understand why it's preferable to do it this way, especially when they create a "regular" version that is high fidelity.

If it's "poorer" is certainly subjective. It's how pop and rock music is mastered these days - first of all it's a stylistic choice because it will fit into the soundscape of all the other albums that are released. Also it sounds more compact and on earbuds and smarthomes or in the car stereo it will probably sound better than a dynamic mix. That's how music is listened to by the majority of people who are no audiophiles.

I guess that makes sense. Metaphorically, maybe we're back to listening to "AM radio", the way it was "intended to be heard".

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 16, 2024 18:25

CD is much harsher on the ears but they have released worse. Blue and Lonesome with any volume sounded distorted and Universals release of Goats and Sticky in 2009 or 2010 were dreadful

Date: February 16, 2024 18:55

Bashlets

CD is much harsher on the ears but they have released worse. Blue and Lonesome with any volume sounded distorted and Universals release of Goats and Sticky in 2009 or 2010 were dreadful

That was Stephen Marcussen's brickwalled 2009 & 2016 mastering - but not the CD-format itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 19:10 by Irix.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: February 16, 2024 19:13

The Rolling Stones

"Live at Racket, NYC" - VINYL / LP

RSD 2024

[recordstoreday.com]

Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2024
Release Date: 4/20/2024
Format: LP
Label: Geffen
Quantity: 7000
Release type: 'RSD First' Release

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 19:14 by satisfaction2.

Date: February 16, 2024 19:20

RSD 2024 - [iorr.org] , [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , Large picture .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-20 20:30 by Irix.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 17, 2024 01:55

I don't remember all this controversy about the sound of EOMS which already had a confused sound at the time. The Stones made few albums with a clean sound, maybe they don't like it.

Date: February 17, 2024 02:40

So, I have both the green vinyl and the cd. I have listened to them both one after the other.

I prefer the vinyl. The CD sounds like there is an emptiness some places and others it sounds like the CD is trying to jump out of the player. Like it is angry.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 17, 2024 05:01

georgemcdonnell314
So, I have both the green vinyl and the cd. I have listened to them both one after the other.

I prefer the vinyl. The CD sounds like there is an emptiness some places and others it sounds like the CD is trying to jump out of the player. Like it is angry.

Just got the vinyl today (diamond clear, it seems to be labeled, and looks clear), so I have to give it a listen. But for the most part, I think many make these things up in their own minds, i.e. about being able to tell differences.

I almost never get vinyl these days, unless there's a bonus track(s). But since I am extremely happy w/ Hackney, I not only bought 3x CDs (orig, bluray, w/ Live Racket) and now splurged on a vinyl, in hopes that what I already love might somehow even sound better. We'll see.

Date: February 17, 2024 16:42

Irix

RSD 2024 - [iorr.org] .

OM FREAKING G!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 17, 2024 17:33

LeonidP
georgemcdonnell314

Just got the vinyl today (diamond clear, it seems to be labeled, and looks clear), so I have to give it a listen. But for the most part, I think many make these things up in their own minds, i.e. about being able to tell differences.

I almost never get vinyl these days, unless there's a bonus track(s). But since I am extremely happy w/ Hackney, I not only bought 3x CDs (orig, bluray, w/ Live Racket) and now splurged on a vinyl, in hopes that what I already love might somehow even sound better. We'll see.

as an update ... I honestly don't hear a difference - I compared songs 1 thru 3 on both. The CD plays louder, of course, but if I adjust the volume of the vinyl to match, then both versions sound just as great, from what I can tell.

Date: February 17, 2024 19:57

My wife is criticizing me for not listening to anything else in the car.

I guess she may have a point.

Date: February 17, 2024 22:25

treaclefingers

She surely has a point, but you are still my hero, treacle.. Be strong.

- Doxa

Date: February 17, 2024 22:29

treaclefingers

Use the back seat.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 18, 2024 03:24

TheflyingDutchman
treaclefingers

Use the back seat.

For the wife?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2024 05:29

The last Ford with a rumble seat was 1939 ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesurvive ()
Date: February 18, 2024 10:58

............I confess, I only listened to HD about 5x since the first day of release, but today it hit me!...........this is a great album!!!, and IMO, there are a couple of tracks that could be "snuck" onto a couple of older albums and fit right in!.

Is that a bad thing.....no, that's the Stones sound!. Keep in mind, the boys have charted in every decade, but I find that only the independent stations .will keep them on the playlist."Ghost Town" charted at #1,#2, #5,and #6 around the world. Compare them to Macca,who just can't seem to come out with anything contemporary. Rod Stewart charts on MOR radio, because that's the type of stuff he does now. Elton?,he hangs with the new crowd, and gets a "duet" hit here and there

I think "Angry" could have been promoted as a take on today's society.and culture, and maybe it is in a way..........but maybe they don't want to go that route,it gets boring in a way.Also, I thought KEEF sounded great on his solo lead "Tell Me Straight"

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 18, 2024 13:51

Revisited for the first time in a good few weeks and enjoyed just as much as those magic initial listenings. This one definitely has staying power, a great Stones album in my opinion.

Total immersion in Stones DVDs this weekend also - Hampton '81, L&G '72, Tokyo '90. Salt Lake City '05. Anticipating the release of the Wiltern show in just a few weeks.

'A Life In Pictures' (Uncut magazines) 100-page Stones special on shelves here this week. Picked it up yesterday.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 18, 2024 16:21

I still listen to this album weekly. I just get goosebumps of the harmonies by Mick and Keith.

Dreamy Skies is a favourite of mine. The way Mick sings sprawl and hoot of an owl, etc. A genuine classic Stones country song with classic harmonies by Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-20 00:38 by Muddyw.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: February 18, 2024 17:24

stonesurvive
............I confess, I only listened to HD about 5x since the first day of release, but today it hit me!...........this is a great album!!!, and IMO, there are a couple of tracks that could be "snuck" onto a couple of older albums and fit right in!.

Is that a bad thing.....no, that's the Stones sound!. Keep in mind, the boys have charted in every decade, but I find that only the independent stations .will keep them on the playlist."Ghost Town" charted at #1,#2, #5,and #6 around the world. Compare them to Macca,who just can't seem to come out with anything contemporary. Rod Stewart charts on MOR radio, because that's the type of stuff he does now. Elton?,he hangs with the new crowd, and gets a "duet" hit here and there

I think "Angry" could have been promoted as a take on today's society.and culture, and maybe it is in a way..........but maybe they don't want to go that route,it gets boring in a way.Also, I thought KEEF sounded great on his solo lead "Tell Me Straight"

I completely agree with this. The complete album does not bore me for a minute. Great that I get to experience this after more than 60 years.

Date: February 18, 2024 20:03

Thank You,

It's on the the turntable now."Whole Wide World" "Dreamy Skies" "Tell Me Straight" "Sweet Sounds Of Heaven". All incredible!!

Date: February 18, 2024 20:14

doitywoik
TheflyingDutchman
treaclefingers

Use the back seat.

For the wife?

For...or with?

Date: February 18, 2024 22:12

...........as soon as one of her girlfriends hitches along and likes the album,all of a sudden on the return trip you will hear (from your wife)..............
......."hmmmm.....ya know, "I am starting to like this album"................

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2024 06:25

LeonidP
LeonidP
georgemcdonnell314

as an update ... I honestly don't hear a difference - I compared songs 1 thru 3 on both. The CD plays louder, of course, but if I adjust the volume of the vinyl to match, then both versions sound just as great, from what I can tell.

The mix doesn't change, just the mastering.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 19, 2024 06:28

treaclefingers

Just the car?

She can:

Walk
Ride a bike
Ride a bus
Drive herself
Get a lift
Hitchhike

Or... learn to like it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2248
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home