Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 96
Re: Hypothetical Bonus Track for Hackney Diamonds
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 21, 2024 20:32

treaclefingers
And for anyone wondering why BV is looking to retire.

This sort of thread is exhausting.

In a nutshell.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 21, 2024 22:14

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-22 00:07 by Stoneage.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2024 04:25

This is absurdity. First off Driving Me Too Hard is one ot the better tracks on the record and why in god's name would they put an outtake from the seventies that has already been released on a new album? Good grief

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 22, 2024 05:15

when i saw this title i thought it would be a question about adding one more track from recent sessions not deleting and adding one from 1973confused smiley

that being said maybe nobody's perfect or a finished version of dreams from the forty licks sessions to replace dreamy skies

but to be honest i'd rather have dreamy skies

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: January 22, 2024 08:29

More Hot Rocks
It wouldn't work. Some people list Dirty Work as one of their favorite albums. Totally clueless. And I'm sure Andrew Watt does not pick the final tracks.

BV please get rid of this topic

Why are they clueless because of their personal opinion? Strange….

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: January 22, 2024 16:41

bobo
More Hot Rocks
It wouldn't work. Some people list Dirty Work as one of their favorite albums. Totally clueless. And I'm sure Andrew Watt does not pick the final tracks.

BV please get rid of this topic

Why are they clueless because of their personal opinion? Strange….

Agree, you could easily replace thewords “Dirty Work” for the words ”Hackney Diamonds” in that sentence, but I wouldn’t call someone clueless for their enthusiasm about a particular album.

Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: January 22, 2024 20:08

After 2,000 listens, Hackney Diamonds is still great. There is no need to change anything IMHO

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 23, 2024 09:19

flilflam
Suppose Andrew Watts had asked you to choose the least enjoyable track on HD, which would be deleted, and then recommend as a substitute, another Stones song.
I like all of the HD tracks but would state that Driving Me Too Hard should go.

[...]
Throw out "Get Close". Put in "Keep it Cool" or "Criss Cross"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 23, 2024 12:31

Hmm.. the idea is to replace one new, unreleased track from the album with an old, already released tune?

Well, if the shit hits "Driving Me Too Hard", well, in that case I would pick up "Tumbling Dice" to tell a slightly different story after the intro...

Well, maybe one could do the same for the others. Let's replace "Angry" with "Start Me Up" or "Tell Me Straight" with "You Got the Silver" or "Mess It Up" with "Miss You" etc.

Or let us do nothing, and just enjoy the album as it is. We will not like to the change the nose of Mona Lisa, now would we?

- Doxa

Date: January 23, 2024 13:10

Doxa
Hmm.. the idea is to replace one new, unreleased track from the album with an old, already released tune?

Well, if the shit hits "Driving Me Too Hard", well, in that case I would pick up "Tumbling Dice" to tell a slightly different story after the intro...

Well, maybe one could do the same for the others. Let's replace "Angry" with "Start Me Up" or "Tell Me Straight" with "You Got the Silver" or "Mess It Up" with "Miss You" etc.

Or let us do nothing, and just enjoy the album as it is. We will not like to the change the nose of Mona Lisa, now would we?

- Doxa

I don't know if there's a Mona Lisa forum or a Leonardo da Vinci forum somewhere, but if there is, then, judging by the general tendencies on the internet, I wouldn't be surprised if his fans would discuss how to improve his works.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 23, 2024 13:34

Gazza
treaclefingers
And for anyone wondering why BV is looking to retire.

This sort of thread is exhausting.

In a nutshell.

I think we get to the point where most of what's sensible to say or opine about something has been said...and after that, we start to get silly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 23, 2024 20:48

Doxa

- Doxa

True...but adding cleavage would probably further popularize it!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 24, 2024 00:07

Just got my deluxe release from the Rolling Stones Official Store and track 3 disc 2 (Whole Wide World) skips 8 seconds in on all my cd players...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRangry smileythumbs downthumbs down

Should've bought from Amazon at least the return would be easier...DAMMIT!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-24 22:22 by shadooby.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 24, 2024 19:58

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: January 24, 2024 21:48

Hackney Diamonds is the stones best album since I’m girls in my opinion. Those of us on this board like the stones just because of the sound they make so we enjoy albums like Emotional Rescue and Undercover though the quality of the songwriting isn’t that great because we like the guitar sound, the way that Micks voice sounds et cetera. Hackney diamonds stands out from these because of the quality of the songs. To the average person a song like She’s So Cold for example is a rather repetitive song that never really takes off. it is venerated by those of us who love the Stones but it’s not a song that anyone is gonna cover any time soon
All the songs on Hackney Diamonds are absolute bangers. I would say tell me straight which I love is probably the only exception as it’s delivered in a way that is very idiosyncratic to the stones. Apart from that, in Hackney diamonds, you’ve got catchy songs that would be great if anyone recorded them. That’s what makes it stand out as I see it.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 24, 2024 21:56

I received a few emails from the Stones and HD urging me to vote for the Brit Award nomination via Instagram (which I don't have)

Date: January 24, 2024 22:13

Just got another from Amazon and it also skips and hangs 8 seconds into Whole Wide World-live on all my cd players. Surely someone else is having this. Not sure what the hell to do now.

Am I the only one who bought the deluxe 2cd set? I didn’t see another thread on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-24 22:31 by shadooby.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 24, 2024 22:58

Well...night not look too promising. Blur and Young Fathers are their competition, but also nominated for Best Group, which the Stones are not. It would seem one of those two would be likelier to win given they are also in the broader category.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 24, 2024 23:16

shadooby
Just got another from Amazon and it also skips and hangs 8 seconds into Whole Wide World-live on all my cd players. Surely someone else is having this. Not sure what the hell to do now.

Am I the only one who bought the deluxe 2cd set? I didn’t see another thread on it.

Haven't opened my deluxe boxset, but all my stand alone editions play fine.

Date: January 24, 2024 23:59

I’m talking about the new 2cd with live disc just released.

Posted by: aranbee ()
Date: January 25, 2024 02:28

VoodooLounge13
shadooby

Just got mine from the mailbox, from the Stones, and WWW on the live disc (disc 2, track 3)plays all the way through. This is the 2 disc set, disc 1 is HD, and disc 2 is the Racket live set. So far, about 6 tracks have played well, no skips.

Aranbee

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 25, 2024 03:57

bakersfield
Hackney Diamonds is the stones best album since I’m girls in my opinion. Those of us on this board like the stones just because of the sound they make so we enjoy albums like Emotional Rescue and Undercover though the quality of the songwriting isn’t that great because we like the guitar sound, the way that Micks voice sounds et cetera. Hackney diamonds stands out from these because of the quality of the songs. To the average person a song like She’s So Cold for example is a rather repetitive song that never really takes off. it is venerated by those of us who love the Stones but it’s not a song that anyone is gonna cover any time soon
All the songs on Hackney Diamonds are absolute bangers. I would say tell me straight which I love is probably the only exception as it’s delivered in a way that is very idiosyncratic to the stones. Apart from that, in Hackney diamonds, you’ve got catchy songs that would be great if anyone recorded them. That’s what makes it stand out as I see it.

Just my opinion:

A majority of the songwriting on UNDERCOVER is excellent. Same with BRIDGES TO BABYLON. It's not anything to do with the production (although U is way better tha BTB in that regard) or when (if Keith and Mick had come up with Gimme Shelter in 1997 would it be any different?).

I wouldn't say "the sound they make" defines why people enjoy ER or U. It encompasses The Rolling Stones.

The same reason why some people like or love DIRTY WORK.

I think people lose site of what and how the who they were at those times - just as with DIRTY WORK. They did what they did at that time. Outside influences etc have always been part of the ingredients of any Stone album.

Mick: Just doing what I do

Keith: Mick is forcing us to be modern

One reason why I give U such respect is how quickly things had changed. Absolutely Mick was keeping up... and in his mind keeping the Stones current, something Keith couldn't grasp yet he went full on into it!!! Some of Keith's best work is on U! There's a tremendous amount of guitar work and backing vocals on U that previously and since have never been accomplished.

Which also basically explains BTB.

The last 31 years?

Undercover
Bridges To Babylon
Hackney Diamonds

are the albums where they stretched

DIRTY WORK might as well be called DIRTY DIAPERS - it's just a load of crap.

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: January 25, 2024 09:08

I have been wondering for a while that who did the guitar work in Hackney Diamonds? Is it KZeith or Mick or Ronnie? It is true Keith played solo on 3 songs that is Angry,Tell me Straight and maybe Driving me too hard

Date: January 25, 2024 11:17

pftw04
I have been wondering for a while that who did the guitar work in Hackney Diamonds? Is it KZeith or Mick or Ronnie? It is true Keith played solo on 3 songs that is Angry,Tell me Straight and maybe Driving me too hard

Yep, Keith played the solos on those tracks. He also plays a lot of lead licks on SSOH (left channel), Bite My Head Off (before the ending in the right channel) and of course on Rolling Stone Blues.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 25, 2024 11:23

bakersfield

It is great if you enjoy Hackney Diamonds, Bakersfield, and you definitely have a point: Many Stones songs depend on the band's performance: Jagger's voice, the weaving of the guitars, the rhythm section. Yet, to my impression, many songs on Hackney Diamonds sound fresh, but very constructed. An example for that is Angry. And Sweet Sounds of Heaven is nice, but nothing more. I have to think it through, but I do not find it too overwhelming, when the Stones try to find an approach like any other band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 11:23 by windmelody.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2024 12:26

I find those points very interesting.

I've always loved this band primarily for the glorious noise they make .
The songs or material are sort of secondary for me.

The quality of material is important of course...but the sound and feel are the things for me.

Date: January 25, 2024 12:39

aranbee
VoodooLounge13
shadooby

Just got mine from the mailbox, from the Stones, and WWW on the live disc (disc 2, track 3)plays all the way through. This is the 2 disc set, disc 1 is HD, and disc 2 is the Racket live set. So far, about 6 tracks have played well, no skips.

Aranbee

Have you tried ripping into itunes? That’s when I noticed it locked up at the beginning of track 3 of live disc. Then when I tried playing it on my 2 cd decks it either skipped or got stuck at that same spot. Got another from Amazon and same exact thing. I’m clueless as to what to do now. Do I keep it just for the good tracks?

Date: January 25, 2024 12:51

bakersfield

Following your line of reasoning, Satisfaction, Sympathy for the Devil, Midnight Rambler, JJF are all "rather repetitive songs that never really take off". But in a way, you're really nailing the issue, only upside down. Your arguments are exactly the reason why HD, albeit a great collection of sing-along melodies, lacks the ingredients that made the Stones special. And, yes, that's what makes it stand out, although over the past decades the Stones have increasingly gone in this direction.

Date: January 25, 2024 12:58

Let me add that I like the Stones because they were special in the sense that they combined groovy American roots music (blues and soul mainly) with a certain pop-sense, but without loosing their rawness. As exemplified especially at their start, and later from late-60s until mid-70s, with a small revival at the end of the 70s. I recently read an interview with the former Police drummer, Stewart Copeland, who said that with the Stones everyone was part of the rhythm section: Charlie, Bill, the guitars and Mick Jagger. It was their aproach to rhythm. Added to that, the particular approach (and sound) of Keith's guitars (licks, riffs and just strumming) and - of course - Mick's voice both in sound, dynamics and - again - rhythm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 12:59 by matxil.

Date: January 25, 2024 13:38

windmelody
bakersfield

It is great if you enjoy Hackney Diamonds, Bakersfield, and you definitely have a point: Many Stones songs depend on the band's performance: Jagger's voice, the weaving of the guitars, the rhythm section. Yet, to my impression, many songs on Hackney Diamonds sound fresh, but very constructed. An example for that is Angry. And Sweet Sounds of Heaven is nice, but nothing more. I have to think it through, but I do not find it too overwhelming, when the Stones try to find an approach like any other band.

This is true. However, many aren't: Dreamy Skies, Live By The Sword, Tell Me Straight, Rolling Stone Blues. Driving Me Too Hard isn't really that constructed, either.

Looking back on the Stones classics, for instance, JJF, YCAGWYW, HTW, TD, MY, SMU. They are pretty much constructed as well, aren't they?

Maybe they made a bit more songs that were single material/contenders for this album? After all, 18 years had passed since their last album of original songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-25 13:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home