Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 10, 2023 19:33

treaclefingers
Rip This
peeps are getting silly here....Hackney isnt better than Some Girls or Emotional Rescue for that matter...its pretty damn good though for 80 year olds.

So...people having "taste" that is different than yours is "silly"?

You know what? I think that I will decide which albums I like and which ones I don't.

Free advice, folks.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 10, 2023 21:27

silly is making subjective lists some kind of spoken truth

I have just read that Dance and Le me go are weak points on ER, and that Get Close is the low point of HD. what I should respond to that?

It's clear that in the massive catalogue of a most popular band each finds or miss what one wants

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-10 21:32 by maumau.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: December 11, 2023 00:15

H.Diamonds is Stones in 2023 if this was there 1st
Album fans would be raving about it. We are lucky to have
So many great albums from STONES.Fans like diff albums or diff tracks
Enjoy the music and keep Rocking.60 years have gone by and Stones are still
The best Rock/Blues band. When they stop as band will all be sorry.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: December 11, 2023 01:05

As a Gen Z Rolling Stones fan, I honestly really love this album. Lots of people my age have reacted very positively to it. It's energetic and full of youth, while still having that classic Stones bite. It's obviously not the 'big thing' that my generation is into, but those that know about it and listened to it really dig it cool smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2023 02:43

bv
Hackney Diamonds added to the IORR list of Album Art:

Album Art (see link on the IORR Home Page)

Hackney Diamonds Album Art

This HD Album Art post is amazingly thorough, a really great read.
Agree with the hot take on the three main covers.. well done!

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 11, 2023 04:34

I had a Christmas party for some friends last night. During dinner, my son and I were spinning old Christmas records, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc. The usual stuff.

Then after dinner, I put on side two of Hackney Diamonds. Oh man, most every one seemed to enjoy it, but I felt like I was back in High School spinning Stones records in the corner, which all felt relatively new at the time.

Last night I was a kid again. Thank you Rolling Stones for another in a long line of great memories.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 11, 2023 05:00

matxil
MadMetaphoricalMax
I can vividly recall Emotional Rescue coming out, and getting it with the big thermal camera poster and everything, handling the execrable reviews from the British music press, and managing to like to brass arrangement on Indian Girl; it's been a long time since I gave it a spin, but I only really liked Dance and Let Me Go on side one, and the last three on side two.

Hackney Diamonds is several levels above ER in quality and sheer enjoyability for me. It's closer to the joy and excitement of Tattoo You.

HD is more evenly balanced. Everything is more or less of the same "enjoyable" level. Get Close is a low point but the rest is rather okay.
ER is more varied. There is rather weak stuff like Let Me Go, Where The Boys All Go, Summer Romance, Send It To Me and Dance. There is my personal guilty pleasure Indian Girl. All About You is cute. And then are absolute highlights like Down In The Hole, ER and She's So Cold. HD is lacking in absolute highlights.

IMHO Dance (Pt. 1) is one of the greatest tunes The Rolling Stones have ever written and recorded. Certainly in my top 20.

Admittedly tends to be overlooked due to its limited live outing for an album opener, which is a rare case — an album opener-cum-deep cut so to speak.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 11, 2023 09:03

FeelslikeaGhost
As a Gen Z Rolling Stones fan, I honestly really love this album. Lots of people my age have reacted very positively to it. It's energetic and full of youth, while still having that classic Stones bite. It's obviously not the 'big thing' that my generation is into, but those that know about it and listened to it really dig it cool smiley

a gen z stones fan on iorr!eye popping smiley

your like a unicornwinking smiley

but seriously can you go into more detail about what you and those you know around your age dig about it and maybe the stones in general?

really curious

Date: December 11, 2023 09:21

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Stoneage
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Stoneage
Having listened through the album a couple of times I still wouldn't rank it higher than any album before 1983 (with an exception for TSMR).
But it's maybe the best post 1983 album. Still I'm happy that they finally released a new album after such a long wait.

So you've listened to it twice since it's release?

You must have a really busy schedule!

After a couple of times not higher than TSMR!!!

Stoneage has listened to TSMR once.

That's really something.

Okay, so which albums before 1983 do you experts rank lower than Hackney Diamonds then?

IORR, GHS, Emotional Rescue, Black & Blue possibly, TSMR, December's Children, 12x5...Some Girls possibly.

Anything pre-1968 (with exception to AFTERMATH and OUT OF OUR HEADS); 1973-1980.

Yes.

Better than SOME GIRLS.

Oh my.

well we're all just expressing our opinions here so i guess i'll express mine and say i think your both nutswinking smiley

hd to me is as good as and possibly the best album since steel wheels (maybe dirty work) and i really like it

it's a really fine album

but better then any pre 82 albums?eye popping smiley

on a different note i am pleased to see that no one has said it's better then exile but tomorrow's another day rightwinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-11 09:24 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: FeelslikeaGhost ()
Date: December 11, 2023 10:01

ProfessorWolf
FeelslikeaGhost

but seriously can you go into more detail about what you and those you know around your age dig about it and maybe the stones in general?

really curious

For me personally, I grew up listening to the Stones, they are the soundtrack of my life. So when I listen to a Stones record, not only am I listening to great music, I'm listening to something that has a nostalgic connection to me. There are too many things I love about this band to name. On a generational level however, the band has big cross-genre appeal. If people my age are into bands like The Who or Led Zeppelin it's probably because they are fans of classic rock to begin with, but you don't have to be a classic rock fan to enjoy the Stones. This comes from the diversity of their catalogue. Bands like The Beatles or Queen have a similar cross-genre appeal.

As for Hackney Diamonds, me and most of my friends agree that their ability to change with the times while also staying true to who they are is the most impressive aspect of the album. People on here may not realize this, but people my age may not have even known the band was even still active, so to hear an album that sounds this energetic and this lively, made by 80 year olds, genuinely shocked and impressed many people I knew.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2023 10:54

Stoneage
Having listened through the album a couple of times I still wouldn't rank it higher than any album before 1983 (with an exception for TSMR).
But it's maybe the best post 1983 album. Still I'm happy that they finally released a new album after such a long wait.

You made it sound like that it is nothing sort of achievement to release the best album for forty years, or like any of those albums since UNDERCOVER do not matter or are easy to top. Like they are so weak.

Well, in my book it is a helluva achievement that the dudes reaching 80 years old are being able to do better stuff than when they reached middle age (and none of those albums are really that bad - no Exiles for sure, but c'mon).

I don't like the idea of "best since this or that", but that the album actually feels like it being the best for about 40 years and can be almost compared to the achievements of their first twenty years, truely topped all my expectations. Almost a miracle.

And no, HACKNEY DIAMONDS is not better album than any of those albums from their first twenty years, including SATANIC MAJESTIES. That stuff cannot be topped - and I can't even understand what comparing it to, say, OUT OF OUR HEADS is really like. Their recorded history from those days when they made history is beyond comparison.

But if it needs to rated against their back catalogue, I think HACKNEY DIAMONDS serves a similar function as their first album, AFTERMATH, BEGGARS BANQUET, SOME GIRLS and, yeah, STEEL WHEELS did at the time: showing competence and relevance when that was most needed. A sort of career-defining moments (for different reasons).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-11 11:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 11, 2023 11:07

Having listened to this album perhaps more than I have any other then new Stones album for a very long time, I think I can now say that, for me, it probably is their best album for 40 years.

It was interesting also to read above some comments from a younger fan perspective.

We older "first generation fans" can often lose some perspective I think.

Some of us for example can never seem to lose our craving for the dangerous, dark and satanic Rolling Stones of our rebellious youth, and struggle to appreciate the "good time Rolling Stones" of the subsequent decades.

Other amongst us can appreciate both almost equally ...and I think we're the lucky ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-11 11:09 by Spud.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: December 11, 2023 11:27

Hackney Diamonds is in my top ten stones albums, just for me of course

Exile
Sticky Fingers
Let it bleed
Some Girls
Beggars Banquet
Hackney Diamonds
Tattoo you
Goats Head Soup
Bridges to Babylon
It's only rocknroll

Date: December 11, 2023 11:54

FeelslikeaGhost
ProfessorWolf
FeelslikeaGhost

really curious

For me personally, I grew up listening to the Stones, they are the soundtrack of my life. So when I listen to a Stones record, not only am I listening to great music, I'm listening to something that has a nostalgic connection to me. There are too many things I love about this band to name. On a generational level however, the band has big cross-genre appeal. If people my age are into bands like The Who or Led Zeppelin it's probably because they are fans of classic rock to begin with, but you don't have to be a classic rock fan to enjoy the Stones. This comes from the diversity of their catalogue. Bands like The Beatles or Queen have a similar cross-genre appeal.

As for Hackney Diamonds, me and most of my friends agree that their ability to change with the times while also staying true to who they are is the most impressive aspect of the album. People on here may not realize this, but people my age may not have even known the band was even still active, so to hear an album that sounds this energetic and this lively, made by 80 year olds, genuinely shocked and impressed many people I knew.

thanks for the response

i'm from the generation before you and had a similar experience with coming to my love of all things rolling stones

and your response also lends support to something i've noticed

i've met very few fellow millennials who are into the stones but i've met a few gen z fans the last couple years who are

i wonder why there's this seeming divide between the generations over love of the band (that's if it's not entirely in my mindwinking smiley)

maybe it's because for my generations youth (90's thru the mid 2000's) the popular opinion amongst many young people seemed to be that the stones were uncool dinosaurs and that it was embarrassing that they continued to existed and perform

were as in the last decade or so that popular opinion (though not entirely removed from the previous one) is more and more one of awe and inspiration that there still going and that they continue to perform and release new music despite there age

and also that there able to change with the times and release music that sounds relevant and modern but still like them (as you pointed out)

i'm not saying the stones are a big thing with the kids today but they do seem have a notable fan base amongst them

Date: December 11, 2023 13:09

My daughter I guess is in Gen Z and loved seeing the Stones at Twickenham 2018, where she was employed to cater to a box of exec types, and was blown away by the b and - shortly after seeing Sabbath's last show in Brum. MAybe Gen Zee is more rawk, less judgmental that the millennials are often depicted as being.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 11, 2023 17:42

Doxa
Stoneage

You made it sound like that it is nothing sort of achievement to release the best album for forty years, or like any of those albums since UNDERCOVER do not matter or are easy to top. Like they are so weak.

Well, in my book it is a helluva achievement that the dudes reaching 80 years old are being able to do better stuff than when they reached middle age (and none of those albums are really that bad - no Exiles for sure, but c'mon).

I don't like the idea of "best since this or that", but that the album actually feels like it being the best for about 40 years and can be almost compared to the achievements of their first twenty years, truely topped all my expectations. Almost a miracle.

And no, HACKNEY DIAMONDS is not better album than any of those albums from their first twenty years, including SATANIC MAJESTIES. That stuff cannot be topped - and I can't even understand what comparing it to, say, OUT OF OUR HEADS is really like. Their recorded history from those days when they made history is beyond comparison.

But if it needs to rated against their back catalogue, I think HACKNEY DIAMONDS serves a similar function as their first album, AFTERMATH, BEGGARS BANQUET, SOME GIRLS and, yeah, STEEL WHEELS did at the time: showing competence and relevance when that was most needed. A sort of career-defining moments (for different reasons).

- Doxa

Excellent observation, Doxa, as I've also been thinking since a while that HD is exactly one of those albums where you feel the Stones not only had to deliver, but actually did deliver.

It's easy to say that there's nothing left to prove for them, but in retrospect it will make a difference if, looking back on their career in future, the general judgement will be like "oh, their last great one was Some Girls (or Tattoo You)" or "they still released great music more than 60 years into their career".

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: December 11, 2023 18:16

I actually find all the "Their best album since..." quotes really irritating.

Personally, I think Hackney Diamonds can stand proud next to any of their past albums. I will simply say "it's one of their best albums".

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 11, 2023 20:27

Barkerboy2
I actually find all the "Their best album since..." quotes really irritating.

Personally, I think Hackney Diamonds can stand proud next to any of their past albums. I will simply say "it's one of their best albums".

Good Post B2

I think it's the best album since their next one, and they are all one of their best, according to the multitude of listeners.
I do find it irritating too, just like the take on record sales. I stick to the music.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 11, 2023 20:53

I guess I truly am in the minority around here. Underwhelmed with HD, and there is not a single track that gets stuck in my head. Nothing that I point to and say Classic. It's been 3-4 weeks now since I even gave it a spin. I look forward to hearing the songs live, if only to get more unheard songs heard live. SSOH is a huge letdown and I don't really understand all the love it gets. It ended and then it rambles on aimlessly for another 2+ minutes, but at least when Mick says Play me something Stevie, or whatever he says, it's timed right. When he tells Paul to give him some bass, Paul's already like halfway thru his part, and I feel like it was thrown in later.

I prefer the demo version of Mess It Up seen on YT to the finished version. Wish they had left in that guitar part more - or at least made it more pronounced in the mix. However it is done, just prefer the beat on the demo version. LBTS and WWW are by far the best IMHO and TMS is good but not fully developed or flushed out.

I listened to ABB 24/7 for a solid SIX months straight. No breaks, nothing else. Repeat repeat repeat. For HD has come and went. I'll revisit it I'm sure from time to time and maybe over time it will grow on me, but Top 10?? No, never. For me it's down in the early 60's stuff. Far below IORR, ER, U - really anything DW forward save B&L.

But then we do all have our personal preferences for sure! Let Me Go is one of my personal favorite tracks of theirs, and GHS is easily my Top 3 albums. Have always loved it, and as I've gotten older, it's only risen higher, and with the Super Deluxe, Martin mix, and new cuts, I am even more a fan of it.

I am so glad that we are all fans of a band whose catalog is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO large and vast, that we can all agree to disagree on what we each think is great!!! We have truly been blessed for many, many decades, and one day the show will end, but for now, here's to the greatest RnR band that has ever lived!!!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 11, 2023 22:07

After reading two posts defending Let Me Go, I will try to give it another chance. I do admit I rather like the live version on Still Life.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 11, 2023 22:16

VoodooLounge13
I guess I truly am in the minority around here. Underwhelmed with HD, and there is not a single track that gets stuck in my head. Nothing that I point to and say Classic. It's been 3-4 weeks now since I even gave it a spin. I look forward to hearing the songs live, if only to get more unheard songs heard live. SSOH is a huge letdown and I don't really understand all the love it gets. It ended and then it rambles on aimlessly for another 2+ minutes, but at least when Mick says Play me something Stevie, or whatever he says, it's timed right. When he tells Paul to give him some bass, Paul's already like halfway thru his part, and I feel like it was thrown in later.

I prefer the demo version of Mess It Up seen on YT to the finished version. Wish they had left in that guitar part more - or at least made it more pronounced in the mix. However it is done, just prefer the beat on the demo version. LBTS and WWW are by far the best IMHO and TMS is good but not fully developed or flushed out.

I listened to ABB 24/7 for a solid SIX months straight. No breaks, nothing else. Repeat repeat repeat. For HD has come and went. I'll revisit it I'm sure from time to time and maybe over time it will grow on me, but Top 10?? No, never. For me it's down in the early 60's stuff. Far below IORR, ER, U - really anything DW forward save B&L.

But then we do all have our personal preferences for sure! Let Me Go is one of my personal favorite tracks of theirs, and GHS is easily my Top 3 albums. Have always loved it, and as I've gotten older, it's only risen higher, and with the Super Deluxe, Martin mix, and new cuts, I am even more a fan of it.

I am so glad that we are all fans of a band whose catalog is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO large and vast, that we can all agree to disagree on what we each think is great!!! We have truly been blessed for many, many decades, and one day the show will end, but for now, here's to the greatest RnR band that has ever lived!!!

You are spot on Mate!smileys with beer

However I feel they got it right with Angry, great song along with Mess It Up, Live By The Sword, Tell Me Straight and obviously Rolling Stone Blues.
But the "wet" production along with the plodding "MOR" drumming in some parts make it sound like anything but The Stones. Get close, dreamy skies and depending on you are not very good IMHO though I love the Hank Williams reference in DS.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 11, 2023 23:23

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-11 23:27 by frankotero.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 12, 2023 00:52

It IS their best since Some Girls. And more well rounded too. I'm still awed by the moments of pure beauty. It was pure genius to recognize the same old bass wasn't going to cut it and to have the you know whats to fix it. Jesus, Keith's guitar on Rolling Stone Blues is authentic as you can get.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 12, 2023 01:58

24FPS
It IS their best since Some Girls. And more well rounded too. I'm still awed by the moments of pure beauty. It was pure genius to recognize the same old bass wasn't going to cut it and to have the you know whats to fix it. Jesus, Keith's guitar on Rolling Stone Blues is authentic as you can get.

Right on!

I'm not sure what the naysayers think is missing, but I think they're missing out!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: December 12, 2023 04:15

What is this Mess It Up demo? I can't find it on YouTube.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 12, 2023 04:43

24FPS

+1

Also, I rate HD higher than GHS among their 1970s products.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2023 06:05

Rip This
peeps are getting silly here....Hackney isnt better than Some Girls or Emotional Rescue for that matter...its pretty damn good though for 80 year olds.

You're wrong - no one was 80 years old at the time of recording. Only one Rolling Stone was 80 at the time of release. So, there's no plural about anyone being 80.

If SOME GIRLS or EMOTIONAL RESCUE were released in 2023 instead of 1978 or 1980 would you say similar?

You can't.

That's ridiculous.

You're denigrating its time.

Time forbid it's a great album. You act/sound as if their era defines them.

Wrong.

Date: December 12, 2023 06:15

matxil
MadMetaphoricalMax
I can vividly recall Emotional Rescue coming out, and getting it with the big thermal camera poster and everything, handling the execrable reviews from the British music press, and managing to like to brass arrangement on Indian Girl; it's been a long time since I gave it a spin, but I only really liked Dance and Let Me Go on side one, and the last three on side two.

Hackney Diamonds is several levels above ER in quality and sheer enjoyability for me. It's closer to the joy and excitement of Tattoo You.

HD is more evenly balanced. Everything is more or less of the same "enjoyable" level. Get Close is a low point but the rest is rather okay.
ER is more varied. There is rather weak stuff like Let Me Go, Where The Boys All Go, Summer Romance, Send It To Me and Dance. There is my personal guilty pleasure Indian Girl. All About You is cute. And then are absolute highlights like Down In The Hole, ER and She's So Cold. HD is lacking in absolute highlights.

All About You is "cute"?

CUTE?

You've lost your mind, matxil.

HD is way more of a solid album than ER - and I do love ER. HD is full of highlights. How you can't hear that HD is way better than ER, well, there is hope for humans living on Mars but apparently it's taken a few steps back recently, not that it was and never will be possible.

For example, there's not one lyric phrase on ER that matches this one, with exception to All About You:

Talk to me, pour your secrets out
Tell me I'm the only man you ever dream about
Talk to me, why don't you scream it out
Tell me that you'd rather die than live without, live without me

There are others.

Date: December 12, 2023 06:21

maumau
silly is making subjective lists some kind of spoken truth

I have just read that Dance and Le me go are weak points on ER, and that Get Close is the low point of HD. what I should respond to that?

It's clear that in the massive catalogue of a most popular band each finds or miss what one wants

I say BS on all three but there are people that love DIRTY WORK but at least they're very few, which says something.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 12, 2023 06:25

For me Some Gurls has not aged well and it has two of my least favorite Stones songs on it and the most boring live staple in MY, which also needs to be retired.

I like some songs on HD. Loved Angry when it came out, but as a whole the album just doesn’t grab me or have the edge that ABB does. The album is a mix of all genres which I was hoping for but IDK to me it sounds like the Stones trying to be the Stones. DS is a cheap knock off of FAE. SSOH I don’t even know. YCAGWYW meets something I can’t pinpoint. Can’t say I’m disappointed in the album. Just not enthused enough to return to it with any regularity. Even tried giving it multiple listens on a visit to my folks down in CT. After the 3rd time thru I’d had enough.

Honestly don’t think I’ve listened to the whole album a dozen times all in. Can’t really pinpoint it exactly. It just leaves me empty and unfulfilled. Never thought I’d say that about a Stones album. Though I thought B&L was the bottom of the barrel. HD is much better than that. Leaps ahead of it. ABB is bloated for sure but it has gems that I love and even one of my favorite tracks in Driving Too Fast. RJ is EOMS/SF Stones with a modern edge. HD is just there. Today’s sound if ya will.

Maybe it’s just that I’ve found some other artists that have really grabbed me hard this year after all I went thru last year and the boys just aren’t resonating with me like in the past. Which would be odd really as they have the song for anyone’s mood.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2234
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home