Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Date: November 10, 2023 15:54

<as for keith at the racket show he sounded fine on jjf, td, shattered and ssoh>

He sounded especially good on Whole Wide World, imo.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 10, 2023 16:20

Idorh
It's really amazing how Keith can still play rhythm guitar so well with his rheumatoid fingers. It's not just playing, Keith also did a lot of work on important at zake. He even went to the studio at night.

Further regarding Mick, Mick also worked very hard to ensure that the new drummer Steve put down more varied drumming. Because with the Winos it was a very monotonous irritating sound. With all this, the band delivered a fantastic album.

Is it known yet which new single it will be soon.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 10, 2023 16:37

DandelionPowderman

He sounded especially good on Whole Wide World, imo.

yes your right i forgot that!

they all sounded good on that one

hope they play it regularly this summer

Date: November 10, 2023 17:02

Actually, it is unfathomable, it seemed like yesterday in the Netherlands that the Rolling Stones performed at the Kurhaus Scheveningen on 8 August 1964, it was their first gig on mainland Europe. Chandeliers and chairs were destroyed, they could only play a few songs. The gig was stopped. It was world news on black-and-white televisions. Charlie lost his drum kit. A Dutchman had later taken it home. Charlie tried to get it back years later, but the man did not return the drum kit. And now 60 years later a new album and their gigs are still sold out now. Wonderful going into winter and the New Year like this.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2023 17:51

Idorh
Idorh
It's really amazing how Keith can still play rhythm guitar so well with his rheumatoid fingers. It's not just playing, Keith also did a lot of work on important at zake. He even went to the studio at night.

Further regarding Mick, Mick also worked very hard to ensure that the new drummer Steve put down more varied drumming. Because with the Winos it was a very monotonous irritating sound. With all this, the band delivered a fantastic album.

Is it known yet which new single it will be soon.

I don't know what the hold up is, or if there'll be an actual physical single, but I thought it was generally 'understood' it was going to be Mess It Up.

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: November 10, 2023 17:52

Andrew Oldham era, Jimmy Miller era, Chris Kimsey era, Don Was era, Andrew Watt era?

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:04

Idorh
Actually, it is unfathomable, it seemed like yesterday in the Netherlands that the Rolling Stones performed at the Kurhaus Scheveningen on 8 August 1964, it was their first gig on mainland Europe. Chandeliers and chairs were destroyed, they could only play a few songs. The gig was stopped. It was world news on black-and-white televisions. Charlie lost his drum kit. A Dutchman had later taken it home. Charlie tried to get it back years later, but the man did not return the drum kit. And now 60 years later a new album and their gigs are still sold out now. Wonderful going into winter and the New Year like this.

Do you know where the drum kit is now? Hadn’t heard that story

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:10

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
i just got done reading thru about 10 pages of this thread so forgive me for bring this up here

but as it relates to keith playing solos on this record i'm pretty sure he plays at least a few of the fast one (not that i've decided which ones yet mind you) and he is under the right circumstances still very capable of playing fast

bitch brussels 2022 2:12 - 2:38

gimme shelter berlin 2:28 - 3:02

if he's able to play like that onstage then in the studio with the ability to try as many times as he likes for as long as he wants (as long as he's done before valentine's daywinking smiley) i'm sure he could play as well or likely better

My sentiments exactly, Keith receives a very negative biased rap on this board, they try to rewrite history and now it goes so far as surmise that Ronnie plays the best/ fast guitar parts on the new album without it being a fact.
Last year Keith really shined on tour and Ronnie to be honest struggled, i get the impression a lot of regular posters, you know the resident trolls, discredit Keith where possible and it's continued through these past 10 pages of this thread.
I find it confusing as Stones fans to constantly take credit away from Keith while pouring praise towards Mick and Ronnie. It's fascinating to be honest, thanks for the clips, when you are actually at the shows the power of Keith still hits you hard when he's in the right mood, he's still inspirational even with those arthritic fingers and I'm sure he Kicked ass on the new album. although the way it's produced sound wise it's difficult to tell who plays what.

Well, if that's how you see it it would explain a lot, but is it really the truth? I mean, this board's allegedly biased against Keith? Honestly?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:54

...Keith is still Keith but he sounds simpler due to his hand problems, Ronnie seems fit and has done great solos, Mick also seems in great shape and in this album I like the vocal diversification which keeps the album from becoming monotonous .
Keith's song is amazing, beautiful lyrics too.

Date: November 10, 2023 19:02

snoopy2
Idorh

Do you know where the drum kit is now? Hadn’t heard that story

[www.ad.nl]

The original Premier drum set from 1964. © Benniesfifties
Drum set Kurhaus concert Stones back in Scheveningen after 48 years

Update The drum set that Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones played during the remarkable concert in the Kurhaus hotel on August 8, 1964 is back in Scheveningen after 48 years.
Eric Borsje 23-02-12, 10:55 Last update: 05-07-18, 03:01

The chaos in the Kurhaus during the Stones concert in 1964. © ANP

The Rolling Stones, early sixties.

'Yes, you can safely call it an 'iconic drum set', says a proud Ben Franse, owner of the Fifties Store, from Scheveningen. The Premier brand drum kit was built especially for Charlie Watts. Even though the concert lasted less than 10 minutes, and the hall was pretty much torn down, the drum kit survived. 'It has always been stored indoors, haha, a few scratches, but you can play on it straight away.'

Clap
French: 'Originally the intention was that Premier's representative would return the drum set to the importer after the concert. But in the chaos after the concert, the poor also suffered strong blows, because they thought he wanted to steal the drum kit. Because Premier found it all annoying, he was allowed to keep the drum kit. He later sold it to a die-hard Stones fan in Leeuwarden, who had it in his living room.'

French has taken over the drum kit from this Frisian 'on loan'. For a nice price? 'Well let's just say that it at least cost a Jukebox from my Benniesfities business. At least eh'.

Interested Charlie Watts
About 10 years ago, according to the Scheveningen resident, Charlie Watts had already shown interest in the drum set. To let them know that his interest was serious, he also pre-ordered a signed drumstick. 'I think he paid about 35,000 guilders for it. But I'm not getting rid of it, because I want to give the drum set a place of honor in the yet-to-be-built National Pop Museum in Scheveningen.

National Pop Museum
By the way, it will not be the first drum set that will be on display in the museum. Cesar Zuiderwijk of the Golden Earring has given the drum kit in which the classic 'Radar Love' was recorded as a gift to the museum that is being established. "When you play the drums on it you just hear Radar Love," says an enthusiastic French woman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-10 19:06 by Idorh.

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:03

Angry nominated for Best Rock Song:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:07

Idorh

Agreed, I recently listened to Talk is Cheap and the production makes it sound like it's a solo album by a drummer. Generally speaking I don't really get the unconditional praise Jordan gets for his hard hitting drumming. I have no doubt he's very gifted given where he ended but I haven't heard it very often. Take WWW, he's hammering around as if it was a sport. Impressive but where's the art/style? Angry is a lot more interesting and that's probably due to the lengthy rehearsing Mick said he'd done with him in Jamaica'

As if it wasn't bad enough he found it appropriate to shoot of his mouth in Mojo in a manner that I don't recall ever seeing from a sideman or even a Stone. Uncalled for and inappropriate to say the least...Twenty five years ago he would likely have been sidelined like Chuck was for saying much "milder" stuff.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 01:20 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:12

amg077
Angry nominated for Best Rock Song:

[en.wikipedia.org]

This means that HD was eligeable to participate in the Grammys
and did not get nominated for best rock album?

Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:17

"Angry" has received a 2024 Grammy nomination for Best Rock Song.

[www.grammy.com]

The album isn't eligible because it was released after the Grammys September 15, 2023 cutoff.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:39

gotdablouse
Idorh
...Mick also worked very hard to ensure that the new drummer Steve put down more varied drumming. ....

Agreed, I recently listened to Talk is Cheap and the production makes it sound like it's a solo album by a drummer. ...
Woah, so Mick is teaching a lifelong drummer how to drum? Nice, a man of many talents.

Date: November 10, 2023 20:07

LeonidP
gotdablouse
Idorh
...Mick also worked very hard to ensure that the new drummer Steve put down more varied drumming. ....

Agreed, I recently listened to Talk is Cheap and the production makes it sound like it's a solo album by a drummer. ...
Woah, so Mick is teaching a lifelong drummer how to drum? Nice, a man of many talents.

Dear LeonidP, I am stating here what everyone has been able to read on public forums or newspapers etc.
Mick said I spent hours with Steve practising the typical drum beat for the Rolling Stones, Mick said I also sometimes played with guitar or piano. He didn't want a 2nd Charlie imitation. But a Stones sound.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 10, 2023 20:31

Idorh
Mick said I spent hours with Steve practising the typical drum beat for the Rolling Stones

Interesting, where/when he said that? Got a link?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 10, 2023 20:40

LeonidP
gotdablouse
Idorh

I don’t think Mick “taught” Steve how to drum. He informed Steve how he wanted the drummer to play and sound for the album or specific tracks. Common practice among the musicians at work during the recording process.

In Aerosmith’s video documentary, The Making Of Pump, there is a sequence capturing a heated moment in the studio, ignited by Steven Tyler’s claim on Joey Kramer’s drumming on a certain track, a feud and reconciliation thereafter.

Date: November 10, 2023 20:57

maumau
Idorh
Mick said I spent hours with Steve practising the typical drum beat for the Rolling Stones

Hopefully someone on this forum has the link of the article. Hundreds of different articles have been published since 20 October. I don't save those, but some stick in your mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-10 20:58 by Idorh.

Date: November 10, 2023 22:10

Idorh
maumau
Idorh

Hopefully someone on this forum has the link of the article. Hundreds of different articles have been published since 20 October. I don't save those, but some stick in your mind.

I cannot now prove that I have read it. Am I really the only one who read the article now? I can't find it again.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 10, 2023 23:16

What are position charts in UK and US after the third week?How many copies it sells there and worldwide?

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 10, 2023 23:17

No 1...then No 3...then No 4 this week in UK...

Posted by: soufsouf129 ()
Date: November 11, 2023 00:01

I personally like the album a lot, i find myself coming back to It again and again and i discover myself humming the songs during the day so its been a Joy.

The highlights for me has been the Two singles that were smartly chosen, angry Is incredibly catchy and SSOH Is Just beautiful, and whole Wide world.

The guys were firing on all cylinders with this albumand i enjoyed It immensely

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2023 00:09

jp.M
No 1...then No 3...then No 4 this week in UK...

those are great stats for the home audience!

#3 in the whole wide world:

[www.mediatraffic.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 00:11 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: soufsouf129 ()
Date: November 11, 2023 00:21

mailexile67
What are position charts in UK and US after the third week?How many copies it sells there and worldwide?
It was certified Gold in France for having sold 50000 copies in the country last week, it was certified in Austria too i dont know the numbers of albums sold there, unfortunately.

Date: November 11, 2023 01:26

The Beatles & Rolling Stones Together Again in the Top 10 of a Billboard Chart, 59 Years Later

The Beatles' new single "Now and Then" debuts on Adult Alternative Airplay, joining The Rolling Stones' "Angry" in the top tier.

By Gary Trust
11/10/2023

On the Billboard Hot 100 dated Dec. 12, 1964, The Beatles’ “I Feel Fine” flew from No. 22 to No. 5 in its second week on the chart. It jumped over The Rolling Stones’ “Time Is on My Side,” which held at No. 6.

The same week, The Rolling Stones’ LP 12 x 5 bounded into the top 10 from No. 11 to No. 3 on the Billboard 200 albums chart, as The Beatles’ Something New remained in the region, at No. 10.

That week marked the first time that the bands shared space in the top 10 on Billboard’s charts.

Nearly 59 years later, their iconic imprints long stamped on pop culture, they’re together again in the top 10 of a Billboard ranking.

On the latest Adult Alternative Airplay chart, dated Nov. 18, 2023, The Beatles’ “Now and Then” debuts at No. 9. It joins The Rolling Stones’ “Angry,” up to No. 6 (time is still on their side), a new high in its ninth week on the list.

All Nov. 18-dated Billboard charts will update on Billboard.com on Tuesday, Nov. 14.

Full article > [www.billboard.com]

Date: November 11, 2023 03:09

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2023 03:26

peoplewitheyes
I wouldn't believe that they didn't select the very best Tues for HD, and are saving some for a next album. I'm sure they would have given their absolute all to make the song selection on HD the very best of what they had.

That being said, it is encouraging if Watt also produced the other tracks that didn't make it to HD, as he seemed to get the band working (and sounding) far better than they have in decades.

No.

As they have always done, some of "the best tunes" didn't make the album they were recording for. Because they didn't fit their intention. Some ended up on later albums, either the way they were recorded or, in some cases, re-recorded. Rarely some were used as B-sides.

Keep in mind Mick's intent - The Rolling Stones now ie 2023. Which means whatever was bugging him to finish. Example: if you don't care for Mess It Up, and something on the next album is better, well, what's on the next album didn't fit his idea for 2023.

It's nothing to do with the band, it's all to do with what he's saying and what catches his interest, for whatever reason(s).

Date: November 11, 2023 03:41

Silver Dagger
LeonidP
GasLightStreet
... Great vocals from Mick. Where has this Mick been for the past how many years?? ...

Mick's vocals have been nothing short of stellar in recent years, check out SuperHeavy, Eazy Sleazey, and even Blue & Lonesome.

Bite Your Head Off even sounds a bit like Eazy Sleazey.

I meant in strict regard to The Rolling Stones.

I loved Eazy Sleazy. It's easily in his Top 5 best solo tunes. His vocals are incredible.

SuperHeavy... nah. That was awful. BLUE AND LONESOME he did have some stellar moments.

Date: November 11, 2023 04:12

bye bye johnny

[twitter.com]

How can it be the 66th annual awards when they started 64 years ago, in 1959, which means the 2024 award show would be the 64th annual (yet alone it wasn't concurrent in years - the first year there were two! - and 1960 was skipped! It hasn't truly been annual since 1962!)?

Because people don't understand what "inaugural" and "annual" means.

So dumb.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home