Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: November 6, 2023 00:52

Idorh

But we have to be honest , Keith has problems with his fingers due to rheumatism. It can be numb with him, but it still limits fluid and fast playing. It's not from today, it's been like that for years. I assume most of the long solos on HD are Ron's. Furthermore, I don't underestimate Keith he is extremely important for intros and melodies mix and rhythm playing and declarer. Therefore with this rheumatism of Keith and ages of the band that we still have such a brilliant Rolling Stones album now in 2025. And not only that there is already literally a 2nd album waiting. Lovely enjoyment in my old age with this simple but exciting music.

From what I have seen it is mainly his righthand fingers that has issues. Left hand seems to in a better condition.
And from a remark from Mick: all mixes pass Keith for a final touch. Actually Mick said something about that it took a few month with this one.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 6, 2023 03:03

I put the album away this past week and did not listen to it. I spun it over the weekend to see if I still felt good about it. I have to say this album is outstanding. the songs are full of energy. To me it's not Stones by the numbers. There are meny differing styles. I really believe I will be playing this one in five years unlike ABB, B2B, VL and Steel Wheels. I only play certain tracks from this records. This album I like all of the material and even Bite My Head Off sounded good which initially I didn't like. SSOH is a classic to my ears. No, It's not Exile, SF, BB or LIB. Can we really expect that now. The band lived and breather music back then. They are now 80 or approaching, have grand kids and kids and all the money in the world. From guys this age to breathe as much lif into the band is nothing short of remarkable. We shoud be grateful for this album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 6, 2023 09:17

keefriffhards
powerage78
I can't wait to read about all HD's - now non-existent - weaknesses when the next album comes out, as this will justify why the new album is better. As with ABB, which was yet the album of the century at the time.

As I've stated a few times a few different ways, ten years from now HD will be looked upon as about even to ABB, what gives HD the edge over ABB is because the two singles were better.

Both are good albums considering the Stones have been past their best since Tattoo You, i don't expect a great album from them anymore, that day has long gone, the Stones today are like a cover band copying a cover band, Stones by numbers, melodies by numbers but it obviously works because we love that kind of music and not many today make that sound so good luck to them.

So your prediction is that in ten years time all the people, the majority or those who matter do think alike of the album as you do now? Pretty strong beliefs on the universal competence of one's own taste.

But, frankly, does that really matter what people think in ten years from now? Many, many things might happen. My prediction is more like that people then would remember these particular times as happy times: there was a great Stones album out - something that I am afraid is not even in a theory possible any more then - and people will be thrilled and amazed how energetic they still in 2023 sounded like. Probably then - as something drastic has happened and the story of the Stones would have finally seen the closing chapter - the unique, even miraculous quality of HACKNEY DIAMONDS could be better recognized then. Who knows, people might have finally then have a perspective to realize that there is no point in comparing anything they did in their senior years to the stuff did when they were young. And that the band with their 'bigger than life' career had an ability to recreate the idea of greatness by many different means.

Most of all: they would be jealous for us right now. Carpe diem.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 09:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 6, 2023 10:08

Doxa
keefriffhards
powerage78
I can't wait to read about all HD's - now non-existent - weaknesses when the next album comes out, as this will justify why the new album is better. As with ABB, which was yet the album of the century at the time.

As I've stated a few times a few different ways, ten years from now HD will be looked upon as about even to ABB, what gives HD the edge over ABB is because the two singles were better.

Both are good albums considering the Stones have been past their best since Tattoo You, i don't expect a great album from them anymore, that day has long gone, the Stones today are like a cover band copying a cover band, Stones by numbers, melodies by numbers but it obviously works because we love that kind of music and not many today make that sound so good luck to them.

So your prediction is that in ten years time all the people, the majority or those who matter do think alike of the album as you do now? Pretty strong beliefs on the universal competence of one's own taste.

But, frankly, does that really matter what people think in ten years from now? Many, many things might happen. My prediction is more like that people then would remember these particular times as happy times: there was a great Stones album out - something that I am afraid is not even in a theory possible any more then - and people will be thrilled and amazed how energetic they still in 2023 sounded like. Probably then - as something drastic has happened and the story of the Stones would have finally seen the closing chapter - the unique, even miraculous quality of HACKNEY DIAMONDS could be better recognized then. Who knows, people might have finally then have a perspective to realize that there is no point in comparing anything they did in their senior years to the stuff did when they were young. And that the band with their 'bigger than life' career had an ability to recreate the idea of greatness by many different means.

- Doxa

Exactly right,Doxa.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 6, 2023 12:12

slew
I put the album away this past week and did not listen to it. I spun it over the weekend to see if I still felt good about it. I have to say this album is outstanding. the songs are full of energy. To me it's not Stones by the numbers. There are meny differing styles. I really believe I will be playing this one in five years unlike ABB, B2B, VL and Steel Wheels. I only play certain tracks from this records. This album I like all of the material and even Bite My Head Off sounded good which initially I didn't like. SSOH is a classic to my ears. No, It's not Exile, SF, BB or LIB. Can we really expect that now. The band lived and breather music back then. They are now 80 or approaching, have grand kids and kids and all the money in the world. From guys this age to breathe as much lif into the band is nothing short of remarkable. We shoud be grateful for this album.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 6, 2023 12:15

Doxa
keefriffhards
powerage78

- Doxa

exactly

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: November 6, 2023 12:21

Doxa
keefriffhards
powerage78

- Doxa

That's a great way of looking at it, same goes for all the albums and tours they made and completed, people will look back on them as triumphant in an industry that chews people up and spits them out.

They will still go down as the greatest band in the world and made millions of people happy, as individual musicians, lyric writers, singers etc they are not the greatest, many of their albums were not the best, and many of their recent tours are not the best, but as a unit together, even though there are only two original members left they sre still considered the greatest rock and roll band, more likely the luckiest band in the world. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 12:44 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 6, 2023 14:45

ABB pales in comparison to HD.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 6, 2023 14:53

keefriffhards
Doxa
keefriffhards
powerage78

- Doxa

That's a great way of looking at it, same goes for all the albums and tours they made and completed, people will look back on them as triumphant in an industry that chews people up and spits them out.

They will still go down as the greatest band in the world and made millions of people happy, as individual musicians, lyric writers, singers etc they are not the greatest, many of their albums were not the best, and many of their recent tours are not the best, but as a unit together, even though there are only two original members left they sre still considered the greatest rock and roll band, more likely the luckiest band in the world. winking smiley

They're a global institution !

How many bands can say that ?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 6, 2023 15:09

Doxa
keefriffhards
powerage78

- Doxa

I’ll likely be dead in 10 years!!! But bloody thankful for Hackney Diamonds!!

Rod

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 6, 2023 15:34

I did wonder who would be the first miserable sod to mention that many of us would likely be dead in ten years ...grinning smiley

[Not that we weren't all thinking it ]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 6, 2023 15:42

For me just another mundane release from a group that resembles The Rolling Stones. It reminds me a lot of A Bigger Bang, not too memorable and not an album I would ever really put on after a few listens. It is still clear that Mick and Keith don't really write together any longer. It seems for the most part like a Jagger solo record with some Keith and Ronnie sprinkled in here and there. When I hear Sweat Sounds of Heaven I think there is what the entire record should sound like, lyrics that are more poignant and meaningful and a great R and B gospel vibe. A shame that was not the template for the entire album. I know I am a nay sayer, but it just doesn't move me much.

Date: November 6, 2023 15:47

Steen G
Idorh

But we have to be honest , Keith has problems with his fingers due to rheumatism. It can be numb with him, but it still limits fluid and fast playing. It's not from today, it's been like that for years. I assume most of the long solos on HD are Ron's. Furthermore, I don't underestimate Keith he is extremely important for intros and melodies mix and rhythm playing and declarer. Therefore with this rheumatism of Keith and ages of the band that we still have such a brilliant Rolling Stones album now in 2025. And not only that there is already literally a 2nd album waiting. Lovely enjoyment in my old age with this simple but exciting music.

From what I have seen it is mainly his righthand fingers that has issues. Left hand seems to in a better condition.
And from a remark from Mick: all mixes pass Keith for a final touch. Actually Mick said something about that it took a few month with this one.

Not sure if you had a close look, then smiling smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 6, 2023 16:14

whitem8
For me just another mundane release from a group that resembles The Rolling Stones. It reminds me a lot of A Bigger Bang, not too memorable and not an album I would ever really put on after a few listens. It is still clear that Mick and Keith don't really write together any longer. It seems for the most part like a Jagger solo record with some Keith and Ronnie sprinkled in here and there. When I hear Sweat Sounds of Heaven I think there is what the entire record should sound like, lyrics that are more poignant and meaningful and a great R and B gospel vibe. A shame that was not the template for the entire album. I know I am a nay sayer, but it just doesn't move me much.
thumbs up

Date: November 6, 2023 16:19

< When I hear Sweat Sounds of Heaven I think there is what the entire record should sound like, lyrics that are more poignant and meaningful and a great R and B gospel vibe. A shame that was not the template for the entire album>

You should listen more closely to Tell Me Straight, Whole Wide World, Depending On You and Driving Me Too Hard. We can't blame them for Muddy's lyrics.

That's half of the album smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 16:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 6, 2023 17:21

Yes, I have listened to the entire album. Those songs, as most of the songs, deal with women, and the same well Mick seems to dip back into over and over again... not any deep reflection on society, aging, life in general. When he was younger it worked, now it just seems tired and overplayed. Not much to relate to.

Date: November 6, 2023 17:47

whitem8
Yes, I have listened to the entire album. Those songs, as most of the songs, deal with women, and the same well Mick seems to dip back into over and over again... not any deep reflection on society, aging, life in general. When he was younger it worked, now it just seems tired and overplayed. Not much to relate to.

Tell Me Straight is Keith singing to his maker and deals with mortality.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 6, 2023 17:59

whitem8

I think Mick's life, outside of music, has been much about his relationships with women. I didn't expect otherwise, on the lyrics. I have continued interest in that subject.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 18:58 by angee.

Date: November 6, 2023 18:42

The old, unhappy, hip-crackin' bores are really crashing through the woodwork today, souring the milk and making it all appear like a terrible, exhausting effort that no one should have bothered with. Still, that's probably all of you done now! And don't mistake being relentlessly negative with the spirit of honesty - you might regret it.
On the plus side, Hackney Diamonds by the Rolling Stones remains a marvellously audacious, energetic, alive, well formed and brilliantly pulled off joy of a record, 48 minutes of your time that may last a lifetime. Keep pulling it off, boys ....

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 6, 2023 19:00

Fantastic album. Hovering around their 10th best album. In the neighborhood of OOOH, Black and Blue, IORR, ER. Hard to crack my top 7 (Big 4, plus SG, TY and GHS).

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: November 6, 2023 19:13

Totally agree, in my top ten as well. IMHO better than Black and blue, Iorr and ER.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 6, 2023 19:18

whitem8
thumbs up

Unfortunately I agree. This is not an album that moves me much either, with the exception of SSOH, which I think is an absolute masterpiece. To be sure, Mess It Up has a great groove - thanks in large part to Charlie. Dreamy Skies has a gorgeous sound to it. And there are a few other moments of brilliance here and there (e.g., the crunchy opening bars of Angry and Get Close). But on the whole, quality-wise, it is IMO hit-or-miss, like their other 90's and 00's albums, albeit with a fresher and more "modern" sound.

Indeed, I think it is the modern sound that trips me up. The production is super-polished, so much so that each song truly sparkles. But I personally would have liked something rawer, darker, and more mysterious (SSOH, DS, Keith's track, and the Muddy Waters cover being the exceptions). There is an awful lot of energy on display here, but little depth. Much of the album reminds me of bygone surface-level radio fodder by the likes of Matchbox 20, Maroon 5, etc. Not an album I'll be returning to very often.

The songs themselves are good, but not great (again, except for SSOH). Many are just too "pop" oriented for my taste, but I'm glad others are enjoying them so much. They are "pop" in their lightweight sing-song-y choruses, their "happy" and "clean" sound, their bright shiny production, and (on several tracks) their relationship-focused lyrics. Modern pop, like Taylor Swift's music but perhaps with more of an edge. Nothing wrong with that, but just not my cup of tea. Whether the "pop" aspect is due to Mick, or Andrew Watt, or both, is immaterial.

But we are indeed very fortunate to get an album from the surviving members this late in the game. It is nothing short of a miracle. As is Mick's voice and harp, and Keith and Ronnie's guitar-work on many of the tracks. Flawed as it may be, the Stones deserve all the credit in the world for bringing us this bundle of joy in 2023.

Drew

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 6, 2023 19:24

angee
whitem8

I think Mick's life, outside of music, has been much about his relationships with women. I didn't expect otherwise, on the lyrics. I have continued interest in that subject.

thumbs up

also, who said that lyrics about sex and relationship are per se in a minor league than society, life or any other "deeper" subject, expecially in a pop rock album. there's just modus in rebus

Mick can be great or lame on any shade of the spectrum. Here on HD I think he has ups and down but, take one of my fav of the album, Get Close, i think the lyrics are brilliant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 20:18 by maumau.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: November 6, 2023 20:35

All things considered HD is much better than I expected, (and it exists(!), which I didn't expect)! That said, I really miss the sound of Charlie's drums and the incomparable way the group feels with him on the throne. The two cuts that he is on just jump out and grab me and remind me of late '70's Stones. I really am amazed and glad to have new efforts by Mick, Keith and Ronnie, but as impressive as it may be, the loss of Charlie is apparent on record and in concert and I tend to think of them as "what's left of the Rolling Stones". After a lifetime of listening since 1964, and seeing them 30 plus times in concert since 1969, I'm amazed to be able to still enjoy and look forward to new material and shows, and my admiration for these guys is immeasurable! Let's be grateful and hope for their continued good health! Current efforts and anything to come should be considered to be a gift, just like all things that preceded it through the years were gifted to us.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 20:56 by rtr.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 6, 2023 20:47

Top 25 Best-Selling Records on Discogs in October 2023

The best-selling records of October 2023 include multiple pressings of The Rolling Stones’ latest release, modern pop albums, and a few selections that pair well with the Halloween season.

The Rolling Stones recently released Hackney Diamonds, their 24th British and 26th American studio album. The new record has been topping the charts and fans snatched up multiple versions on Discogs throughout October. A zoetrope picture disc and a limited-edition clear diamond pressing are just two of the six versions that claimed spots in the top 25.

Date: November 6, 2023 20:56

Yes! And hats of too him, too bad Mick isn't able to be that vulnerable unless he's singing about pussy.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 6, 2023 20:58

rtr
All things considered HD is much better than I expected, (and it exists(!), which I didn't expect)! That said, I really miss the sound of Charlie's drums and the incomparable way the group feels with him on the throne. The two cuts that he is on just jump out and grab me and remind me of late '70's Stones. I really am amazed and glad to have new efforts by Mick, Keith and Ronnie, but as impressive as it may be, the loss of Charlie is apparent on record and in concert and I tend to think of them as "what's left of the Rolling Stones". After a lifetime of listening since 1964, and seeing them 30 plus times in concert since 1969, I'm amazed to be able to still enjoy and look forward to new material and shows, and my admiration for these guys is immeasurable! Let's be grateful and hope for their continued good health!

I so agree---I've been a fan since 1972 and I miss Bill and Charlie as well.
But this is still a GREAT Stones album. I'm shocked how much I like it.

I find it much better than anything they did since Tattoo You.
It really shows Jagger/Richards getting behind it and giving us a treat.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: November 6, 2023 21:36

drewmaster
whitem8
thumbs up

Unfortunately I agree. This is not an album that moves me much either, with the exception of SSOH, which I think is an absolute masterpiece. To be sure, Mess It Up has a great groove - thanks in large part to Charlie. Dreamy Skies has a gorgeous sound to it. And there are a few other moments of brilliance here and there (e.g., the crunchy opening bars of Angry and Get Close). But on the whole, quality-wise, it is IMO hit-or-miss, like their other 90's and 00's albums, albeit with a fresher and more "modern" sound.

Indeed, I think it is the modern sound that trips me up. The production is super-polished, so much so that each song truly sparkles. But I personally would have liked something rawer, darker, and more mysterious (SSOH, DS, Keith's track, and the Muddy Waters cover being the exceptions). There is an awful lot of energy on display here, but little depth. Much of the album reminds me of bygone surface-level radio fodder by the likes of Matchbox 20, Maroon 5, etc. Not an album I'll be returning to very often.

The songs themselves are good, but not great (again, except for SSOH). Many are just too "pop" oriented for my taste, but I'm glad others are enjoying them so much. They are "pop" in their lightweight sing-song-y choruses, their "happy" and "clean" sound, their bright shiny production, and (on several tracks) their relationship-focused lyrics. Modern pop, like Taylor Swift's music but perhaps with more of an edge. Nothing wrong with that, but just not my cup of tea. Whether the "pop" aspect is due to Mick, or Andrew Watt, or both, is immaterial.

But we are indeed very fortunate to get an album from the surviving members this late in the game. It is nothing short of a miracle. As is Mick's voice and harp, and Keith and Ronnie's guitar-work on many of the tracks. Flawed as it may be, the Stones deserve all the credit in the world for bringing us this bundle of joy in 2023.

Drew

Agree completely with you Drew. I feel the same as you about HD after a few listens.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 6, 2023 22:51

Steen G
Idorh

Where did Mick say that ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 6, 2023 23:25

whitem8
Yes! And hats of too him, too bad Mick isn't able to be that vulnerable unless he's singing about pussy.

At least he put his girl problems into a new context in Depending On You: 'I'm too old for dying, and too old to lose'.

Whole Wide World is interesting, though. I've never heard him write about the early days before: the flat, the imprisonment etc,

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home