Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2023 04:58

Paddy
treaclefingers
Paddy
On my way to pick up a copy of the clear vinyl, I’m still excited despite listening to a download of the album 10 times already!

Where'd you buy it Paddy? Your in Vancouver, right?

Correct, I picked it up in Neptoon on Main St, I rang in earlier today and they kept a copy behind the counter for me it was the last one I was told. Audiopile on commercial had nothing and I got no answer from Red Cat they could be worth a try, sunrise in Metrotown could be another option along with back street down town.

I picked up last years Black Friday RSD release of the Heartbreakers LAMF demo sessions also which was a nice bonus!

Nicely done, i know all those shops, used to live pretty close to Audiopile. The clear vinyl is one of the few I haven't gotten.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 5, 2023 05:55

cimaz
I'm not trolling. It's just a different opinion than yours. A masterpiece about HD is really overrated. The big four are masterpieces. HD isn't.

Masterpiece or not, HD is a very high quality album, that’s for sure. And for me, it is the definitive modern Stones album. That sets this ‘un apart from the other Stones classics, including the big 4, regardless of this equaling them or not. I wouldn’t hesitate to give it 4 stars, at least.

As regards the hype surrounding the album release…well, it’s like an inevitable side effect accompanying this whole “first time in 18 years” thing, isn’t it? It’s irrelevant to the music itself, and you’d better be advised to not let it cloud your sensitivity and appreciation.

johnnythunders
Finally I have found someone who put into words what I was feeling -step forward Tim Stegall

[open.substack.com]

An AI version of the Stones sums it up nicely and yes it would make a great EP

The reviewer is telling something…or nothing.
I got the impression that he jumped on the bandwagon of “AI this, AI that.” AI (or ChatGPT) is one of the most timely topics these days, and I have observed some guys seem to think they can make themselves look smart by stating, “AI-generated something” and the like. Sounds to me no more than a handy magic spell, a rhetorical gimmick.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 5, 2023 06:00

RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers
Thinking about this today...if you took off two of the best songs, let's say the last two, SSoH and RsB what would you rate the album?

Still a great album right?

4 stars maybe, 4.5? So how do you rate it with SSoH and RsB which are monuments on their own?

It's a hot album.

I'm giving Hackney Diamonds are respectable 3.5 stars. It's not quite a 4; at least yet. 4 stars is Tattoo You territory, and it's not as good at that. With the two songs mentioned, I'd still rate it 3.5

Here is one example of ‘each to one’s own’.

Tattoo You, a firm fan favorite and your no.1 album among the Stones’ post-1980 releases, is one I can’t see the quality of.

I bought it when it came out. My instant reaction to it was, “This sounds like a revamp of the Stones’ early 70s material, Sticky Fingers and Exile era in particular.” And my initial instinct turned out to be right afterwards, more or less.

After the ambitious and innovative sound-making of Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, TY felt to me like regression to the past, the Stones going play-it-safe. A fair number of the songs are as if leftovers from the albums made 5-10 years ago were microwaved for reuse.

I know I’m in the minority of the Stones fan community, but after all these years, I still don’t like Tattoo You wholeheartedly. Rant over.

Side 2?

Rod

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 5, 2023 06:09

johnnythunders
Finally I have found someone who put into words what I was feeling -step forward Tim Stegall

[open.substack.com]

Pretty accurate stuff. I would say less about Mess It Up and Live By The Sword, and more about Sweet Sounds of Heaven (my biggest issue with the review is no mention of that song whatsoever and its the best song on the album by far) but largely this is the most accurate review I've seen.

Date: November 5, 2023 06:28

bitusa2012
RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers
Thinking about this today...if you took off two of the best songs, let's say the last two, SSoH and RsB what would you rate the album?

Still a great album right?

4 stars maybe, 4.5? So how do you rate it with SSoH and RsB which are monuments on their own?

It's a hot album.

I'm giving Hackney Diamonds are respectable 3.5 stars. It's not quite a 4; at least yet. 4 stars is Tattoo You territory, and it's not as good at that. With the two songs mentioned, I'd still rate it 3.5

Here is one example of ‘each to one’s own’.

Tattoo You, a firm fan favorite and your no.1 album among the Stones’ post-1980 releases, is one I can’t see the quality of.

I bought it when it came out. My instant reaction to it was, “This sounds like a revamp of the Stones’ early 70s material, Sticky Fingers and Exile era in particular.” And my initial instinct turned out to be right afterwards, more or less.

After the ambitious and innovative sound-making of Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, TY felt to me like regression to the past, the Stones going play-it-safe. A fair number of the songs are as if leftovers from the albums made 5-10 years ago were microwaved for reuse.

I know I’m in the minority of the Stones fan community, but after all these years, I still don’t like Tattoo You wholeheartedly. Rant over.

Side 2?

I supplemented and amended my rather flawed logic and factual inaccuracy in the following post.

After 4-5 times of listening, I put away my copy of TY on the shelf. I gave an occasional listen to it afterwards, but I don’t think I have played it in its entirety in this century.
I left it at home and live far from there, but it’s about time to give it another listen at any chance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-05 15:17 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2023 08:56

Feel sorry for that Tim Stegall guy .....

Hack presents itself as a bank of music .....
One has ta live with it way-way longer than
any other Stones album from theeeeeeeeee past ....

At first there seems to be no separation
in the mix but slowly it creeps up behind
ya and reveals it self .... Live with it ....
It'll be a friend for life .... AND aint that a thing .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: November 5, 2023 09:55

I don't know why some people are so negative here. Maybe they have a too fixed idea of what the Stones should sound like. But in their prime they kept changing the music style constantly, from the early R&B to the pop period (65-67) to the big 4 period (68-72) and the funk/disco period (73-78). Although there is a lot of great music on their records from ER onwards, I think they are too similar in style and also contain a fair amount of Stones-by-numbers music. It was nice to get a return to the early period with Blue and Lonesome. I wouldn't say HD is a pop album, it's clearly Stones music. But it is leaning in the pop direction and is therefore somewhat a return to the 65-67 period. And all the songs are so damned catchy! Absolutely no fillers and no Stones-by-numbers. These songs keep popping up in my head all the time. I am 100% certain that HD will return to my turntable more often than anything they have produced since the seventies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-05 09:56 by walkingthedog.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 5, 2023 10:27

walkingthedog
I don't know why some people are so negative here. Maybe they have a too fixed idea of what the Stones should sound like. But in their prime they kept changing the music style constantly, from the early R&B to the pop period (65-67) to the big 4 period (68-72) and the funk/disco period (73-78). Although there is a lot of great music on their records from ER onwards, I think they are too similar in style and also contain a fair amount of Stones-by-numbers music. It was nice to get a return to the early period with Blue and Lonesome. I wouldn't say HD is a pop album, it's clearly Stones music. But it is leaning in the pop direction and is therefore somewhat a return to the 65-67 period. And all the songs are so damned catchy! Absolutely no fillers and no Stones-by-numbers. These songs keep popping up in my head all the time. I am 100% certain that HD will return to my turntable more often than anything they have produced since the seventies.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 5, 2023 11:38

It's always nice to read the comments, Stones fans are so different from each other, perhaps due to the fact that there are many generations...
I respect everyone's opinions, personally many albums from the past defined as "masterpieces", for me they are mediocre albums, as is EOMS mediocre, HD is superior in everything!
I'm happy with this album, it's contemporary but it's the Stones style.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 5, 2023 11:48

I can't wait to read about all HD's - now non-existent - weaknesses when the next album comes out, as this will justify why the new album is better. As with ABB, which was yet the album of the century at the time.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 5, 2023 11:56

powerage78
I can't wait to read about all HD's - now non-existent - weaknesses when the next album comes out, as this will justify why the new album is better. As with ABB, which was yet the album of the century at the time.
It wasnt

Date: November 5, 2023 12:50

RollingFreak
johnnythunders

[open.substack.com]

Pretty accurate stuff. I would say less about Mess It Up and Live By The Sword, and more about Sweet Sounds of Heaven (my biggest issue with the review is no mention of that song whatsoever and its the best song on the album by far) but largely this is the most accurate review I've seen.

Accurate?! A clever-clever little conspiracy theory about AI-ing up the Stones, after they have released an album that is actually a brilliant listen, and packed with great, engaging songs you want to hear again and again. Jesus - I mean "It literally sounds like an AI idea of The Rolling Stones" is such a load of complete b&&$ocks it was a tough and tedious task to read any further. There's nothing 'honest' about this kind of snarky blog-review, IMO, it's just a different raft of cliches, sour and past their due date! Roll on....

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 5, 2023 13:05

walkingthedog

thumbs up

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 5, 2023 13:16

johnnythunders

[open.substack.com]

Quote from the article: "The music is too perfect at times, especially the first three tracks, on which Watt is credited as a co-writer with Mick and Keith. Which might explain why the chord progressions generally are the ones used on every pop, rock or country radio hit released the last 10 years. They certainly do not sound like typical Keith Richards chords, those five-string open G one-or-two-finger Telecaster riffs we all know."

Well - what do the Stones sound like?
Did "Dirty Work" sound like the Stones? Or "Their Satanic Majesties Request", or "Emotional Rescue", or "Steel Wheels"? At the time people said the same - it doesn't sound like the Stones. If you want the Stones to sound like Exile - just play that record.

And writing "The feel is off." when speaking about Steve Jordans drum part - oh boy. But I guess if you call yourself "Napalm" - that says it all.

Date: November 5, 2023 14:54

It's great isn't it folks. That now in 2023 we can still enjoy a new Rolling Stones album.

Date: November 5, 2023 15:07

Idorh
It's great isn't it folks. That now in 2023 we can still enjoy a new Rolling Stones album.

Indeed. In these post-post-modern times. When the world is in yet another disastrous turmoil…

Date: November 5, 2023 15:19

PaintMonkeyManBlack
powerage78
It wasnt

Of course it was. The ever-improving syndrome needs to be nurtured (better, best...). Record now with HD concerts soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-05 15:22 by powerage78.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 5, 2023 15:37

powerage78

yeah and agree also! but, dare I say Powerage78 that your concept is cristal clear and released in infinite editions throughout here?

Date: November 5, 2023 15:43

I'm just relaying the opinion of the band's fans. It must be an exhausting exercise.

Date: November 5, 2023 15:43

The Quietus review is on the level of acrimony of the Pitchfork one, but the question of brickwalled loudness of sound is real. I was listening last night to Talk is cheap. Not talking about the quality of songwriting here, or even performance, but the pleasure to the ears is an almost forgotten one, I am afraid.

and I am sorry Mick, Keith or anyone in the stones camp seem to not take careof / take for granted this "new" marketing rule if not second that

Date: November 5, 2023 15:44

powerage78
I'm just relaying the opinion of the band's fans. It must be an exhausting exercise.

thumbs up yeah, there are fans in here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-05 15:49 by maumau.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 5, 2023 16:00

Idorh

For a lot of people on this board, clearly not. But not surprised, been this way here for 20 years

Date: November 5, 2023 16:06

maumau
powerage78

grinning smileysmileys with beer

Date: November 5, 2023 18:31

powerage78
maumau
powerage78

grinning smileysmileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: CrosseyedHeart ()
Date: November 5, 2023 20:04

Mick wrote “Brown Sugar.” And it’s “The X-Pensive Winos,” not “The Expensive Winos.”
I think AI wrote Napalm’s review.’

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: November 5, 2023 20:09

powerage78

As I've stated a few times a few different ways, ten years from now HD will be looked upon as about even to ABB, what gives HD the edge over ABB is because the two singles were better.

Both are good albums considering the Stones have been past their best since Tattoo You, i don't expect a great album from them anymore, that day has long gone, the Stones today are like a cover band copying a cover band, Stones by numbers, melodies by numbers but it obviously works because we love that kind of music and not many today make that sound so good luck to them.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 5, 2023 20:33

The substack guy says that Keith did the solo after Paul’s bass solo. Isn’t that Ronnie?

Date: November 5, 2023 21:21

donvis
The substack guy says that Keith did the solo after Paul’s bass solo. Isn’t that Ronnie?

Ronnie.

Date: November 5, 2023 21:26

Stones are No 1 for me, beyond that I am a fan of Keith and Charlie.
But we have to be honest , Keith has problems with his fingers due to rheumatism. It can be numb with him, but it still limits fluid and fast playing. It's not from today, it's been like that for years. I assume most of the long solos on HD are Ron's. Furthermore, I don't underestimate Keith he is extremely important for intros and melodies mix and rhythm playing and declarer. Therefore with this rheumatism of Keith and ages of the band that we still have such a brilliant Rolling Stones album now in 2025. And not only that there is already literally a 2nd album waiting. Lovely enjoyment in my old age with this simple but exciting music.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 6, 2023 00:06

treaclefingers
Paddy
treaclefingers
Paddy
On my way to pick up a copy of the clear vinyl, I’m still excited despite listening to a download of the album 10 times already!

Where'd you buy it Paddy? Your in Vancouver, right?

Correct, I picked it up in Neptoon on Main St, I rang in earlier today and they kept a copy behind the counter for me it was the last one I was told. Audiopile on commercial had nothing and I got no answer from Red Cat they could be worth a try, sunrise in Metrotown could be another option along with back street down town.

I picked up last years Black Friday RSD release of the Heartbreakers LAMF demo sessions also which was a nice bonus!

Nicely done, i know all those shops, used to live pretty close to Audiopile. The clear vinyl is one of the few I haven't gotten.

I just stuck my head into Sunrise Records at Metrotown and they will be getting in the clear vinyl this week (they hope) but they said they would put aside a copy if I wanted one so maybe give them a quick call and you’ll be able to pick up a copy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-06 03:31 by Paddy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home