Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: Turner ()
Date: November 4, 2023 04:03

amg
6. Steel Wheels
5. Bridges to Babylon
4.Voodoo Lounge
3. A Bigger Bang
2. Blue & Lonesome
1. Hackney Diamonds
That's a very solid list kudos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-04 04:13 by Turner.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 4, 2023 05:11

RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers
Thinking about this today...if you took off two of the best songs, let's say the last two, SSoH and RsB what would you rate the album?

Still a great album right?

4 stars maybe, 4.5? So how do you rate it with SSoH and RsB which are monuments on their own?

It's a hot album.

I'm giving Hackney Diamonds are respectable 3.5 stars. It's not quite a 4; at least yet. 4 stars is Tattoo You territory, and it's not as good at that. With the two songs mentioned, I'd still rate it 3.5

Here is one example of ‘each to one’s own’.

Tattoo You, a firm fan favorite and your no.1 album among the Stones’ post-1980 releases, is one I can’t see the quality of.

I bought it when it came out. My instant reaction to it was, “This sounds like a revamp of the Stones’ early 70s material, Sticky Fingers and Exile era in particular.” And my initial instinct turned out to be right afterwards, more or less.

There's zero with TATTOO YOU that sounds like any revamp of STICKY or EXILE.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: November 4, 2023 09:19

A 3.0 stars is more than enough with me.

Without some cheap lyrics (e.g. Bite my head off), and no or less Special Guests, it could have been a 3.5 .

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 4, 2023 09:46

SomeTorontoGirl
Here’s the Album Talk we all need! A few familiar - and knowledgeable - faces discussing it track by track. The superb IORR band leader, Bård Anderson and the delightful Gazza / Gary are front and centre! Enjoy.

Thanks for sharing this SomeTorontoGirl, the only talk show I needed, very insightful and it made the trick: went back to HD after a while it has rested beside the plate

smileys with beer

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 4, 2023 12:11

What is the situation of the second week in the charts?HD is still in the charts worldwide?What is the total amount of sell after two weeks worldwide?

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 4, 2023 13:45

It's probably somewhere here, but I saw it right now for the first time and it's very fun to look at:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:05

GJV

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:10

mailexile67

What is the situation of the second week in the charts?

In Germany you can follow the chart progression via this permanent link - [OffizielleCharts.de] .

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:13

When HD came out the Grammys did a post about it on their
social media. Now there’s one about the Beatles.
Not a fan of the Grammys, but it will be nice to
see this 2 bands winning. Long shot?

Nominations will be announced Nov 10.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:22

GasLightStreet
RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers
Thinking about this today...if you took off two of the best songs, let's say the last two, SSoH and RsB what would you rate the album?

4 stars maybe, 4.5? So how do you rate it with SSoH and RsB which are monuments on their own?

It's a hot album.

I'm giving Hackney Diamonds are respectable 3.5 stars. It's not quite a 4; at least yet. 4 stars is Tattoo You territory, and it's not as good at that. With the two songs mentioned, I'd still rate it 3.5

Tattoo You, a firm fan favorite and your no.1 album among the Stones’ post-1980 releases, is one I can’t see the quality of.

I bought it when it came out. My instant reaction to it was, “This sounds like a revamp of the Stones’ early 70s material, Sticky Fingers and Exile era in particular.” And my initial instinct turned out to be right afterwards, more or less.

Agreed...that was the power of Tattoo You's songs and production. It fit great within the catalogue, yet even though a disparate group of songs recorded over an 8 year period, it sounded like a suite of songs that belonged together, and of course the immaculate side 2 sounded like nothing else they'd ever done before, or since.

For me, it's the album likeliest to crack into the top 4 (though it doesn't - "Neighbours" though a good song is the "Lies" of this album).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:36

Putty
When HD came out the Grammys did a post about it on their
social media. Now there’s one about the Beatles.
Not a fan of the Grammys, but it will be nice to
see this 2 bands winning. Long shot?

Nominations will be announced Nov 10.

Not a long shot right now, but I believe we'll have to wait a year+ to find out, if I'm reading this right.
Will be interesting to see next year if either/both win, HD definitely will be nominated I believe, not certain about The Beatles, very cool if they both do.

Key dates for the 2024 GRAMMY Awards season are as follows:

Oct. 1, 2022 – Sept. 15, 2023
Product Eligibility Period
[www.grammy.com]

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 4, 2023 14:50

In the second week HD is still in the Top Ten in Italy:#8; it was #2 last week

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 4, 2023 15:04

GasLightStreet
RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers

It's a hot album.

First time I heard Tatoo You in 1981, I didn’t know the bulk of the material was actually reuse of the outtakes from the previous albums, obviously. And now we know the leftovers salvaged for TY are in large part from the mid to late rather than early 70s, to be exact. Looking back, the way I saw things in real time may have been too narrow a view, admittedly, limited by my lack of knowledge about the background of the group’s recordings in general.
That being said, how I felt back in the day was that, after the cutting-edge songwriting and sound-making of Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, TY sounded rather old-fashioned, not contemporary. Many people welcomed it as a return to form, and understandably so because that’s why TY is so popular among fans, but to me the album felt like a product of backward thinking and approach, a rehash (which I should have used instead of “revamp” in my previous post by the way). It lacked the freshness I found on SG and ER.
With hindsight, lead single Start Me Up may well have been my earliest exposure to the Stones by numbers.

Hope my follow-up makes sense and I made the points clearer.

Date: November 4, 2023 15:43

RisingStone
GasLightStreet
RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers

It's a hot album.

First time I heard Tatoo You in 1981, I didn’t know the bulk of the material was actually reuse of the outtakes from the previous albums, obviously. And now we know the leftovers salvaged for TY are in large part from the mid to late rather than early 70s, to be exact. Looking back, the way I saw things in real time may have been too narrow a view, admittedly, limited by my lack of knowledge about the background of the group’s recordings in general.
That being said, how I felt back in the day was that, after the cutting-edge songwriting and sound-making of Some Girls and Emotional Rescue, TY sounded rather old-fashioned, not contemporary. Many people welcomed it as a return to form, and understandably so because that’s why TY is so popular among fans, but to me the album felt like a product of backward thinking and approach, a rehash (which I should have used instead of “revamp” in my previous post by the way). It lacked the freshness I found on SG and ER.
With hindsight, lead single Start Me Up may well have been my earliest exposure to the Stones by numbers.

Most of the songs are from ER and SG (except Slave, WAY, Tops and WOAF).

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 4, 2023 15:58

Best article about the Stones/Mick in 2023 that I've come across (apologies if this was posted already) -

[www.theringer.com]

Drew

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 4, 2023 16:08

DandelionPowderman
RisingStone
GasLightStreet
RisingStone
Big Al
treaclefingers

It's a hot album.

Most of the songs are from ER and SG (except Slave, WAY, Tops and WOAF).

I got that information years later.
Maybe these tracks were weaker among the lot and that’s why they ended up as outtakes or were left unfinished. Who knows?

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: November 4, 2023 17:37

Personnaly I don't understand the hype about HD. After listening to it I find most of the songs average at best but SSOH (one of their best songs for decades) and RS Blues which would have featured better on Blue and lonesome.

HD is an event because they haven't released an original album since 2005. It won't remain among the group best albums.

That said they remain a good act on stage which is great for men which are now eighty years old. The performance of SSOH with lady gaga at the Racket club is outstanding.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 4, 2023 18:11

1. Tattoo You
2. Undercover
3. Emotional Rescue
4. Bridges to Babylon
5. Steel Wheels
6. Hackney Diamonds
7. Blue & Lonesome
8. A Bigger Bang
9. Voodoo Lounge
10.Dirty Work

But I'd rather add Tattoo You to a list of pre-80's albums, in which case it would come right after Exile and Let It Bleed.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: November 4, 2023 21:28

cimaz
Personnaly I don't understand the hype about HD. After listening to it I find most of the songs average at best but SSOH (one of their best songs for decades) and RS Blues which would have featured better on Blue and lonesome.

HD is an event because they haven't released an original album since 2005. It won't remain among the group best albums.

That said they remain a good act on stage which is great for men which are now eighty years old. The performance of SSOH with lady gaga at the Racket club is outstanding.

No you are just trolling, Hackney Diamonds is an impeccable flawless masterpiece. Any other assessment is simply incorrect.

My GP prescribed me a daily listen of Hackney Diamonds because it literally cures everything. We are blessed.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: November 4, 2023 21:49

I'm not trolling. It's just a different opinion than yours. A masterpiece about HD is really overrated. The big four are masterpieces. HD isn't.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: November 4, 2023 21:53

Finally I have found someone who put into words what I was feeling -step forward Tim Stegall

[open.substack.com]

An AI version of the Stones sums it up nicely and yes it would make a great EP

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 4, 2023 23:11

On my way to pick up a copy of the clear vinyl, I’m still excited despite listening to a download of the album 10 times already!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2023 23:38

Paddy
On my way to pick up a copy of the clear vinyl, I’m still excited despite listening to a download of the album 10 times already!

Where'd you buy it Paddy? Your in Vancouver, right?

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 5, 2023 00:36

johnnythunders
Finally I have found someone who put into words what I was feeling -step forward Tim Stegall

[open.substack.com]

An AI version of the Stones sums it up nicely and yes it would make a great EP

Yes. The album is bad because it's too good. Gotcha.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 5, 2023 00:41

treaclefingers
Paddy

Correct, I picked it up in Neptoon on Main St, I rang in earlier today and they kept a copy behind the counter for me it was the last one I was told. Audiopile on commercial had nothing and I got no answer from Red Cat they could be worth a try, sunrise in Metrotown could be another option along with back street down town.

I picked up last years Black Friday RSD release of the Heartbreakers LAMF demo sessions also which was a nice bonus!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-05 00:48 by Paddy.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 5, 2023 01:23

I think most fans' first introduction to the Stones for their choice of albums is between 1975 and 1990.
Mine is v/a 1963.
There were great albums in the 60s but that is dying out in terms of fans due to age.
Again I can't make a choice with earlier material because sometimes a particular
album is great, and sometimes later I find another album great.
There are only 2 that don't attract me at all, and those are dirty work and exile on main street.
But number 1 for me is hackney diamonds.
And the reason is that previous albums always contained songs that bored or irritated me. With this album, I find every song appealing.
Simple in structure, the feel of live and the energy and fun of these old guys. Surely it is unimaginable with this 3 chord music after 60 years they can release this album.
As my 2nd choice, I have Blue & Lonesome.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2023 01:53

Heck Idorh ... maybe a gang of IORR
experts and outlaws could help ya with Exile ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 5, 2023 02:58

I liked the original tapes with the making of the album (exile on main street) in France better, but were tarnished in the damp cellars. They sounded more natural and also more live. They later re-recorded everything in America. There was a lot of shuffling and adding of everything, I find the sound and everything too monotonous. I played it hundreds of times v/a 1973, but never in one piece, it irritated me. You cannot force music, it is feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-05 03:00 by Idorh.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 5, 2023 03:50

Has BV posted HIS thoughts on the record anywhere? Does he ever do that?

Rod

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 5, 2023 04:55

Paddy
treaclefingers
Paddy

Correct, I picked it up in Neptoon on Main St, I rang in earlier today and they kept a copy behind the counter for me it was the last one I was told. Audiopile on commercial had nothing and I got no answer from Red Cat they could be worth a try, sunrise in Metrotown could be another option along with back street down town.

I picked up last years Black Friday RSD release of the Heartbreakers LAMF demo sessions also which was a nice bonus!

Hey Treacle, I bought the CD at LD in Chilliwack today, they had one copy! $25 which is a bit of a rip off. Try stopping into Neptoon when I visit my sister. Tough to find parking so I always park on the side street.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2136
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home