Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamond vs A bigger bang
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 1, 2023 09:50

To me its unquestionably A Bigger Bang. Hackney sounds like a band trying to be "hip", and more accurately "Mick Jagger trying to be hip". Doesn't feel like a Stones album to me at all, it feels like a desperate attempt to grab the "it" producer of the day and have some new music just to have it. Whereas, truly, I felt like they were going for something with A Bigger Bang. Solid songs in Let Me Down Slow, Biggest Mistake, Back Of My Hand, Infamy. Back Of My Hand harkens back to You Gotta Move, Rough Justice harkens back to a classic Stones riff and actually trying to create something memorable. Its absolutely bloated, but overall it felt like a band, or at least Mick and Keith, that got into a room and tried to make a record, as opposed to this new one sounds like the backing band could be anyone.

If anything, my biggest sadness is I feel A Bigger Bang is the ONLY album of value since Tattoo You. 40 years (1983-2023) and one good album to show for it. Granted, the band made masterpiece after masterpiece in the 60s and 70s, so they owe us nothing, and thats one album in only a list of 7 so its not really THAT many records. But seriously, I can't cobble together as many good songs from all those albums as I can good ones that exist on A Bigger Bang alone.

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: November 1, 2023 09:52

Been thinking about this as well as of lately, and to me one of the main differences is that HD is better designed (as in synthetically). I mean, ABB was a tad too long and as much as I like it I honestly can't remember the sequence of the songs when I think of it. HD is much more measured and concise.

Also, on ABB (again to me) Keith's presence is a bit more evident while I feel that on HD he's kinda buried in it and on first listens you had to wonder who plays what.

And last but not least: Charlie.

Deffinetely two different albums, eras and team players.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 1, 2023 10:11

Clearly A Bigger Bang is the better album. I'm certainly in the minority here, but I consider ABB to be one of the Stones' best albums ever. I would put it at number 5 after the big four. It's cleanly produced on the one hand, but incredibly present, not artificially polished, the guitars slam out of the speakers, right into your face. The songs are diverse, varied, have contour and character. Large parts of the album seem as if the Stones are playing in your living room, a bit of chamber music in rock garb. Even the weaker songs like Rain Fall Down, Sweet Neocon or Infamy have a certain character. To bring it to a point: ABB seems authentic, HD like a marketing product essentially for the American market. If it takes months of name dropping and then "quite spontaneously" some pop singer drops by during the recordings, then something can't be right. Except for Paul's bass, the big names didn't provide anything substantial that the band + regular backing musicians couldn't have done themselves. And Paul's contribution was also well "translated" by Darryl Jones during the surprise gig in New York last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-01 10:21 by RobertJohnson.

Date: November 1, 2023 10:17

ABB aged very badly for me. Also it is way less diverse than HD while having significant more songs. They made a great choice having only 12 songs on HD. The quality is much higher. I like the sound better too.

However, ask me again in 18 years for a fair view.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 10:29

My vote right now is for ABB. Granted, I haven't had the opportunity yet to listen to HD enough times to become overly familiar with each track, so down the road my thoughts could change. But as of today, no song on HD has grabbed me and pulled me in the way some of the tracks on ABB did the first few times around. "Mess It Up" is gaining traction, but nothing on HD (so far) tops "Rough Justice", "Rain Fall Down", "This Place Is Empty", and, especially, 'Laugh, I Nearly Died" (the absolute gem of the bunch, IMHO).

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 1, 2023 10:50

Hackney Diamonds by a mile. I loved ABB when it came out and I played it to death. I still like it, but it’s too long and has too much filler. Also the production sound gets a bit harsh and annoying after a while. In contrast HD is just the right length, filled with great songs and great performances. I think HD is shaping up to be a classic and one of their best ever.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 1, 2023 11:45

I have been listening previous albums. HD is a good album, but not that great. When ABB was released the critics where also so positive
This new album is very Jagger.
As a hardcore fan of KR guitar skills and sound during the Pathe Marconi period, every album makes me feel dissapointed. ABB had more garage band feeling, not overpruction in it. That is my opinion.
HD will age poorly.
Great songs like sweet sounds have the guitar arpeggios very buried in the mix. Even the live version lacks of bigger role of the guitar section
Loss of progresive guitar skills have make a big impact in my appreciation for the band

Date: November 1, 2023 11:57

I much prefer things like living in a gohst town
Anyway HD is a good piece of work
But my vote goes to ABB.....those guitars on laugh, it wont take long, rough,rain fall..,....

Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: November 1, 2023 12:22

It’s clearly HD for me, but will be interesting to see how it stands the rest of time.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 1, 2023 12:24

HD a true Stones album, driving and the songs ending like an avalanche. Every time I feel at the end pity it has ended. Tell me straight I find a little less, I don't like Keith's vocals that much, otherwise every song has a climax. This is my thought, of course. People shouldn't whine and complain or compare, just enjoy this kind of music from 3 Arkords. It's just a miracle in 2023 another studio album from this 80-year-old has come out.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 1, 2023 12:37

omg...if I never hear another tune from ABB...I'm good....forgettable in every way....Under The RAdar which wasn't even on the record is by far the best song they did from that period.......HD is head shoulders better....in every way

Date: November 1, 2023 12:52

Any new music is wellcome in any case. Love this band

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:01

A Bigger Bang is nowhere close to the new album. But then again, many on this forum seems to live in the past, mostly three to five decades backwards. Thankfully Rolling Stones adapts and evolve as time goes by.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:15

To me the difference in quality between the two albums is so extreme that the question "A Bigger Bang vs Hackney Diamonds" feels like "Undercover vs Exile".

I won't even bother discussing this...

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:29

Actually, this studio album cannot be compared to earlier self-written albums. HD was spontaneously recorded more than half live. The music the voice the instruments is clear and pure. What more could you want, it is Rock/Blues/Country/Ballads and they are having tremendous fun with it. Still unbelievable, (America 3) furthermore HD is number 1 all over the world. And indeed what is the point of living in the past. I still enjoy old music by the Stones, but this surpasses everything. Every day I am enjoying it.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:31

I don't remember reading all this criticism about ABB at the time. How strange! It was the best album since TT !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:38

PaintMonkeyManBlack
ABB aged very badly for me. Also it is way less diverse than HD while having significant more songs. They made a great choice having only 12 songs on HD. The quality is much higher. I like the sound better too.

Agree 100%

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:41

From the NY Times: The Rolling Stones’ “Hackney Diamonds,” the group’s first album of new material in 18 years, and first studio LP since the death of its drummer Charlie Watts in 2021, opens at No. 3 with 8.4 million streams and 94,000 copies sold as a complete album. It is the Stones’ 38th LP to reach the Top 10. (In Britain, “Hackney Diamonds” went to No. 1.)

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 13:42

It's risky to say this so soon after its release but, for me, this album is like a (superior) London riposte to NY-era Some Girls.

It has a rich variety of genres and, probably aside from 2 songs that I currently think of as competent filler (Live By the Sword, Driving Me Too Hard), I thoroughly enjoy listening to each and every track. I can't honestly say the same of SG.

In a way, I wish they'd released the SG bonus tracks a few years back as a brand new album by itself as I much preferred many of those songs to what was actually put out (bar, of course, solid gold songs like Shattered / Beast of Burden / Miss You). There was so much great stuff on the extra CD.

I also think it's way better than a Bigger Bang or Bridges to Babylon, which had their share of duff tracks amongst the minor gems.

Yes, it's very polished and they've borrowed some star power from famous friends but the Stones need it to be a critical/commercial success if they're going to justify putting any new material out, otherwise it won't augur well for having put in the effort or any chance of future new releases.

I listened to the whole album loud 2x yesterday driving in my car and it was awesome. Can't wait for my next extended journey...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-01 13:44 by tomcat2006.

Date: November 1, 2023 13:44

What's far more difficult IMHO is the question "Bridges to Babylon vs Hackney Diamonds".

I'd go for Hackney here at the moment, but surely some time needs to pass before you definitely can say how they compare

Date: November 1, 2023 13:47

bobo
A Bigger Bang is nowhere close to the new album. But then again, many on this forum seems to live in the past, mostly three to five decades backwards. Thankfully Rolling Stones adapts and evolve as time goes by.

Someone had to say it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 1, 2023 14:04

PaintMonkeyManBlack
ABB aged very badly for me. Also it is way less diverse than HD while having significant more songs. ...

How is that fair? That would give you 36 years of Bigger Bang vs. only 18 years of HD! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 15:16

I will say it again.............for me, HD is missing something. I can't pinpoint it but it is very definitely underwhelming me. Granted I am very ecstatic to have a new album, and love WWW and LBTS - the 2 standouts - but the rest are really good to meh. I've been asking myself this very question of late, and for me, I have to go with ABB, which I played to death for 6 solid months straight when it came out. Nothing else in between. It was the only thing I listened to at all. And yes, it is bloated with some ghastly awful songs, but there are some true gems and different styles that sound original. It sounds more fresh and more raw, and RJ when I first heard it on the radio was a Holy Sh, the Stones are BACK!!!! moment. Haven't listened to the radio to hear Angry, which I do find quite enjoyable and streamed to death to get it to 20MM views on YT.

I listened to the new album on a continuous loop all day yday during work and have started again today, but I am getting to the point of possibly putting aside the new album. Never thought I'd say that!! Definitely going to go back and give ABB a listen to see how I like it vs. this one.

Now in terms of B2B vs. HD - that's a non-starter. B2B is a true modern day classic and masterpiece. Varied styles and some amazing songs on there.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 15:18

Music is always a matter of taste smiling smiley but if I compare how many songs I really like after many listena on A Bigger Bang compared to Hackney Diamonds, the new album wins.

For me it's

It won't take long
Rain Fall down
Laugh I nearly died

Against

Depending on you
Live by the Sword
Whole wide world
Sweet sounds of heaven
Mess it up
Angry

I really hope they will play Live By The Sword live next year.

Date: November 1, 2023 15:21

VoodooLounge13
I will say it again.............for me, HD is missing something. I can't pinpoint it but it is very definitely underwhelming me. Granted I am very ecstatic to have a new album, and love WWW and LBTS - the 2 standouts - but the rest are really good to meh. I've been asking myself this very question of late, and for me, I have to go with ABB, which I played to death for 6 solid months straight when it came out. Nothing else in between. It was the only thing I listened to at all. And yes, it is bloated with some ghastly awful songs, but there are some true gems and different styles that sound original. It sounds more fresh and more raw, and RJ when I first heard it on the radio was a Holy Sh, the Stones are BACK!!!! moment. Haven't listened to the radio to hear Angry, which I do find quite enjoyable and streamed to death to get it to 20MM views on YT.

I listened to the new album on a continuous loop all day yday during work and have started again today, but I am getting to the point of possibly putting aside the new album. Never thought I'd say that!! Definitely going to go back and give ABB a listen to see how I like it vs. this one.

Now in terms of B2B vs. HD - that's a non-starter. B2B is a true modern day classic and masterpiece. Varied styles and some amazing songs on there.

What are the "true gems" on ABB that you are talking about? Except for "Laugh I nearly died" I can't even name another very good song.

Date: November 1, 2023 15:38

IMO, both the songwriting and the performances on HD is considerably better on HD.

Two of the good songs on ABB: Rough Justice and Laugh, I Nearly Died sound unfinished. Not to mention Oh No, Not You Again, which sounds like a demo.

HD is a fully fleshed out album. The best since the early 80s, imo. ABB is just not there.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 16:06

StonedRambler
VoodooLounge13

What are the "true gems" on ABB that you are talking about? Except for "Laugh I nearly died" I can't even name another very good song.

Rough Justice (classic Stones)
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Back Of My Hand
Biggest Mistake
This Place Is Empty
Oh No, Not You Again
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Driving Too Fast
Infamy
Don't Wanna Go Home

That's the album that should have been released!!! Love all those. Other than WWW and LBTS and TMS nothing is really sticking in my brain off HD. I thought, upon first listen, that the album was solid enough, but further listenings have left me feeling void of something. What it is I just don't know. There are some songs I really like such as Get Close, the 3 mentioned already, and Mess It Up, and I'd consider those 5 very good. Angry, BMHO are good. For me the rest are OK to filler. That's where it stands at this point in time. And it greatly saddens me to be typing this!!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2023 16:09

After repeated listens I'm getting a Sticky Fingers vibe about Hackney Diamonds as if that was the blueprint that the band worked to.

OK, Angry is no Brown Sugar but it's the lead single and first track and got that high energy impact that slaps you in the face immediately.

And the guitars on Get Close really remind me of that fantastic overdriven chunky guitar sound on Sway.

There are similarities across the rest of the album -

*Each has a classic blues in You Gotta Move and Rolling Stone Blues

*Each has two classic country songs in Wild Horses and Dead Flowers and Dreamy Skies and Driving Me Too Hard

*Each has a manic rocker that references a bitch in Bitch and Bite Me Head Off

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2023 16:14

DandelionPowderman
IMO, both the songwriting and the performances on HD is considerably better on HD.

Two of the good songs on ABB: Rough Justice and Laugh, I Nearly Died sound unfinished. Not to mention Oh No, Not You Again, which sounds like a demo.

HD is a fully fleshed out album. The best since the early 80s, imo. ABB is just not there.

Absolutely. Best album since Tattoo You - and if we take into account that half that album was written in the 70s then I'd say Hackney Diamonds is the best since Emotional Rescue. It's got that punky vibe and Jagger using his English accent on both.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: November 1, 2023 16:18

StonedRambler
To me the difference in quality between the two albums is so extreme that the question "A Bigger Bang vs Hackney Diamonds" feels like "Undercover vs Exile".

I won't even bother discussing this...

Yet those two are also among my favorite Stones albums.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home