Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 13:04

Hackney Diamonds» des Rolling Stones : rock en toc.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood release a new album featuring a host of prestigious guests, causing quite a stir. There's plenty of noise. For the songs, we'll take a rain check.

[www.lefigaro.fr]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 13:12 by powerage78.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 21, 2023 13:20

slewan

the bass is too dominant in the mix. But maybe that's just an effect of the atmos thing

Seems so. The Dolby Atmos mix was done by Giles Martin (see the BluRay credits) and he loves bass - his Beatles albums (50th anniversary remixes) are also bass heavy.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 21, 2023 13:32

powerage78

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ron Wood release a new album featuring a host of prestigious guests, causing quite a stir. There's plenty of noise. For the songs, we'll take a rain check.

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Blatantly biased and full of crap sort of review!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 13:34 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 21, 2023 13:37

The new Rolling Stones album actually sounds like the Rolling Stones
‘Hackney Diamonds’ is the band’s first slab of fresh material in nearly 20 years — and ‘fresh’ is the word.

Review by Chris Richards

“Hackney Diamonds” might start in a defensive crouch — Mick Jagger, hands up, wailing: “Don’t get angry with me!” — but then the music pounces to life with an elasticity no Rolling Stones album has possessed since the big ba-boing of “Tattoo You” circa A.D. 1981.

Who could be angry with that? Maybe those who find it sacrilegious that one of the most singular bands ever produced by civilization decided to continue on after the 2021 death of its inimitable drummer, Charlie Watts. And, hey, fair. But in the heat of this moment, Jagger isn’t having it. In the outro of that hot-brained, full-blooded leadoff track, “Angry,” he finds a way to storm out of his own tantrum, reminding us that he’s still alive, still hungry, still testy, still funny: “I’m still taking the pills and I’m off to Brazil!

Refreshingly, these 2023 Stones don’t sound like they’re trying to fulfill their own blues-pirate mythology. Instead, they’re trying to live out their twofold creed: They can’t get no satisfaction, and therefore will never stop. We’re talking about Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, here, and instead of veering toward the ponderousness of last men standing, they’ve wisely found a way to be themselves. (Before his death, Watts recorded two of these tracks, “Mess It Up” and “Live by the Sword.”)

This is the band’s first album of fresh material since 2005, and “fresh” is the word. Richards, 79, and Wood, 76, make their guitars bark and bang with a finesse eternally masquerading as rudeness, while Jagger, 80, sounds as hot, bothered, alert and connected as ever. Together, as a perpetual touring act, these three have spent the past four decades reaching the highest levels of rock-n-roll telepathy, and now they finally have a 21st-century album to show for it.

Should it be this difficult for the Rolling Stones to make a Rolling Stones record? Probably not. So it’s hard to say how much credit should be showered on the band’s new producer, Andrew Watt, a 33-year-old who’s worked with Justin Bieber, Ozzy Osbourne, Miley Cyrus, Eddie Vedder, Post Malone, Maroon 5, Iggy Pop, Dua Lipa and other names I promise I’m not randomly pulling out of a hat. Watt obviously gets some great performances out of his heroes here but sonically, he gives the songs a tangy sheen that they don’t quite need.

The album’s starry guests don’t feel entirely necessary either, though their contributions are tasteful. Paul McCartney adds a buzzy bass riff to “Bite My Head Off.” Elton John plays piano on the sturdy “Get Close” and the snarling “Live By the Sword.” Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder materialize for a bluesy ballad, “Sweet Sounds of Heaven,” and seem to improvise their way through the breakdown. Good songs, all. Very Stonesy. Really cool.

“Hackney Diamonds” comes wrapped in a cruel little paradox, though: You’ll actually want to listen to it more than a few times and the more you do, the more you’ll miss Charlie Watts. This is no fault of his replacement, Steve Jordan, a longtime Richards collaborator who plays everything even, straight and low to the ground. But Watts gave the Rolling Stones its quintessential vim — that impossible feeling of tight looseness and loose tightness. He played his drums as if to prove that we were never hearing the same band twice. After his two tracks on “Hackney Diamonds,” we’re never hearing that band again.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 21, 2023 13:52

HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Exspecially wrong in the part where he writes: "Encore faut-il être capable de composer une chanson avec un couplet, un refrain, et si possible -c'est toujours mieux- un pont".

there have never been so many refrains and bridges on a Stones album in ages! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: LorenzAgain ()
Date: October 21, 2023 14:02

It’s interesting, I have the division at home too. I love it, my girlfriend thinks it’s a bunch of Mick solo songs, overproduced and forgettable except for the blues song and Sweet Sounds

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: October 21, 2023 14:05

Hackney is number 1 in the US ITunes Charts.

Date: October 21, 2023 14:18

LorenzAgain
It’s interesting, I have the division at home too. I love it, my girlfriend thinks it’s a bunch of Mick solo songs, overproduced and forgettable except for the blues song and Sweet Sounds

That it is a bunch of Mick'solo songs/ideas of songs I think Keith himself has admitted. Exceptions: Rolling Stone Blues, Tell me straight and Driving me too hard that has been labelled as "written together" but to my ears is more Keith's stuff

That everything that Mick brings is bad or forgettable is very arguable. Mick's done duds, no question about it, but...

Is Get Close a Mick's idea? I love it

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 14:53

A really good album that far exceeds what I expected, there’s something for everyone on it. The album could easily have been a collection of ‘safe’ songs, this isn’t. The band has evolved once again and moved out of their comfort zone. Instead of picking holes in every intricate detail let’s enjoy the music.

Date: October 21, 2023 14:54

HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

No one does 'tosser' like a French critic. I've sat in press conferences with them, their questions can be longer longer than most interviews, and unanswerable too...

Date: October 21, 2023 15:08

MadMetaphoricalMax
HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

No one does 'tosser' like a French critic. I've sat in press conferences with them, their questions can be longer longer than most interviews, and unanswerable too...

Le Figaro Magazine,

It all started badly, after a global launch on YouTube. It was not a press conference, but a public interview with an English journalist, who, making falsely spontaneous jokes, laughed in a thunderous and very exaggerated manner at the responses of these mischievous people who are Keith Richards and Mick Jagger , decidedly certified comedians, the kings of improvisation. Poor Ron Wood, a piece from the Rolling Stones around 1977, had the right to speak for a full minute.

At the end of this hilarious and very natural ceremony, the planet was treated to the video - a clip, as they used to say - of the exclusive single from the legendary group. There, it was astonishment. While a model struts in a convertible, on the roofs of buildings, the Rolling Stones, inserted in screens, sing in sync with the music of a bad Start Me Up, the single Angry. Except that these are archive images dated from the time of their magnificence. Digital effects have enabled this rather disturbing technological marvel: when a rock group stages its own legend, it's no longer novelty, it's Radio Nostalgia. So, in essence, the opposite of rock as it was conceived.

Flat encephalogram
The group had not released an album of original songs in eighteen years. To tell the truth, it didn't upset anyone. Everyone survived without any problem. The most recent, A Bigger Bang (2005) fizzled out. Bang! No one, including the most obsessive fans, has ever listened to it more than three times. Here's the new one, Hackney Diamonds . Serious journalists know perfectly well that the Rolling Stones have been clinically dead since 1981; against all expectations, each time, it's the same hysteria: "This record is their best in ages!" " " A miracle ! A makeover! Hallelujah! ". We read that for Steel Wheels (1989), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges To Babylon (1997) and A Bigger Bang a few years later. In reality, these random recordings are gathering dust on the shelves or have been resold a maximum of a year after their release. Now, moreover, they are unsaleable since everyone listens to music in streaming. In any case, the observation is definitive: as far as creativity is concerned, it is the flat encephalogram.

The Rolling Stones' golden age lasted from 1965 to 1973, with a crazy quartet between 1968 and 1972, from Beggars Banquet to Exile On Main Street, including Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. In 1978, ridiculed by a group of heartless young people deciding to make a clean sweep of the past (the punks), they came back with Some Girls, a nervous record paradoxically carried by a disco hit, Miss You. Two years later, they obtained their last hit, the sluggish Start Me Up, included in a compilation of rearranged back-ends, the album Tattoo You. An English journalist once said that you could judge a band by the ugliness of their covers. The Stones had some of the most beautiful ones, made by Arthur Bailey, Gered Mankowitz and Andy Warhol. The latest one, for this sad Hackney Diamonds, is in a way the nadir of infamy, the zenith of atrocity: one would swear it was a compilation of “hair metal” released around 1986. No matter.

To get noticed, the Rolling Stones invited a host of prestigious musicians for their new masterpiece. Lady Gaga, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, the former historic bassist Bill Wyman for one song, and exhumed recordings with their faithful drummer Charlie Watts for two others, recorded before his death in 2021. Here's to the worshipers, as well as the general public. Jagger sings wonderfully. It's not enough. You still have to be able to compose a song with a verse, a chorus, and if possible - it's always better - a bridge. They are nowhere to be found on this useless, empty album, stuffed with big guitars to sound “modern”, only the pretext to send them on tour. Concert ticket prices will be exorbitant as usual , fans watching a giant screen will want to hear hits from 40 or 50 years ago, the Stones will play two or three Hackney Diamonds songs for the principle. All this will be forgotten in a few months. What was their song again? Ah yes: Time Waits For No One.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 15:09 by powerage78.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 21, 2023 15:49

Helsingin Sanomat, the biggest newspaper in Finland, gives the album 4 out of 5.

They also say they hope this album is the last one, because they don't see how the band could top "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" as a swan song.

[www.hs.fi]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 16:17 by Topi.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 21, 2023 16:27

HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

It's not biased, the album really is that bad, it's incredibly limited and in 10 years time Dirty Work will be seen as a better album.
I've just played Crosseyed Heart, a far deeper superior album on every level.
Pleased you guys love it though, if it makes the old forget their young it can't be all bad, unfortunately for me I'm over the mid/ late life crises.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 16:43

Wonderful album, I am thrilled without words, Mick and Keitn, the best as always. The Stones have given me my life. Every time I listen to it, I like it more and I will comment on the songs later. I AM STONIAN before I am HUMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 21, 2023 16:45

colonial
A few photos Keith looks a bit uncomfortable standing beside Andrew Watt

Which ones?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 21, 2023 16:50

powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Saw that this morning, made me laugh, sounds like a parody of a review TBH! And looking at his previous articles it doesn't look like he's the one who wrote the "How to write a review without getting Mick upset" that was equally funny and where the guy coined (AFAIK) the "Rock en Toc" expression. So did he just steal it?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 21, 2023 16:54

gotdablouse
Irix
gotdablouse

My German version is supposed to have an exclusive German lithograph...is it going to be a 10" print like the 3 in the standard package or something larger/folded like what was sold with the Japanese version?

CD & BluRay Boxset + Exlusive Germany Litho Bundle - the Litho is 18” x 24" - [www.Bravado.de] .

Thanks!

Still available too if anyone's interested!

It arrived this morning in a HUGE box

--------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 17:35 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 21, 2023 16:58

powerage78

Le Figaro Magazine,

The latest one, for this sad Hackney Diamonds, is in a way the nadir of infamy, the zenith of atrocity: one would swear it was a compilation of “hair metal” released around 1986. No matter.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 21, 2023 17:40

Well. I love all the songs - great. I really enjoy this album. But, maybe, maybe mr Watt went a little to far with all this reverb and effects. Like a "2023-pop-blanket" been thrown over these lovely tracks. Feels like I´m listening to a tape from back in the days - 1984 - when I got the actual music from a friend of mine and didn´t have to buy the record. Some strange silent noise in the background. I expect to find the silent noise when I stop the music - but it isn´t there. Does it make any sence? Or am I tooo influenced by zen and a glass of wine?

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 21, 2023 17:49

ProfessorWolf
just wanted to relay something i experienced today

i went to walmart with hopes i could find the album on vinyl or cd (i found neitherangry smiley) but as i was going thru the cereal aisle i could hear something familiar from the aisle over

so after getting my cinnamon toast crunch and heading to the next aisle for some canned sauerkraut i'm confronted with the sight of two kids no older then 5 stomping and dancing around and screaming at the top of there lungs

WHY YA BITE MY HEAD OFF! WHY YA BITE MY HEAD OFF!

over and over again as there exasperated father tried to calm them down

i mention to him as i'm passing by that his kids had good taste in music and he says it's there mother that's the fan and she got them going and now he has to deal with them

i guess what i'm trying to say is that the kids are digging the albumwinking smiley
This is my favourite thing about this album so far. I'll bet the band would be so proud!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2023 18:16

keefriffhards
HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

It's not biased, the album really is that bad, it's incredibly limited and in 10 years time Dirty Work will be seen as a better album.
Pleased you guys love it though, if it makes the old forget their young it can't be all bad, unfortunately for me I'm over the mid/ late life crises.

you poor bastard.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 21, 2023 18:26

powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

Ouch!

Date: October 21, 2023 18:34

maumau
So I understand people noticing the differences, but have they not done this regularly in their past? What did you think the first time you heard the drumming of Undercover, the sound of Heaven on Tattoo You or Hey Negrita and anyone here I'm sure can come up with other examples on the same line

I don't think Heaven, Hey Negrita or even Undercover were "mainstream pop". Like them or not, they were different and in that way still provocative, something unexpected and beyond the obvious.

Date: October 21, 2023 18:40

keefriffhards

Well, I don't think anybody will ever say DW is a better album. It might be the last album where they were still a real band taking a risk, going out on a limb (and falling flat on their face, like they did with Their Satanic).
I don't think one should compare a pop album such as HD with Crosseyed Heart. That's like comparing Fleetwood Mac with Captain Beefheart (okay, maybe now I am stretching it a bit).

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 21, 2023 18:44

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
HardRiffin
powerage78

[www.lefigaro.fr]

you poor bastard.

yes. he is. he is not even a fan he is a fan of a man who recently said in a restaurant in Kent, Connecticut in a long conversation that he likes IORR but is embarassed about one person writing „such crap in my name“!

Date: October 21, 2023 19:43

Neither horrible nor exciting, neither surprising nor subtle, Hackney Diamonds is indeed a Rolling Stones album version 2023. Detractors will detract, fans will celebrate, tickets will change hands and stadiums the world over will once again welcome one of the few huge machines still capable of filling them. And, of course, you've got every right not to like it.

**/5

[www.benzinemag.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 19:47 by powerage78.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 21, 2023 19:57

Yeah, powerage23 - it is what it is...cool smiley

Date: October 21, 2023 20:06

powerage78
Neither horrible nor exciting, neither surprising nor subtle, Hackney Diamonds is indeed a Rolling Stones album version 2023. Detractors will detract, fans will celebrate, tickets will change hands and stadiums the world over will once again welcome one of the few huge machines still capable of filling them. And, of course, you've got every right not to like it.

**/5

[www.benzinemag.net]

Wow... whether you agree or not, but those French guys sure know how to write with a biting sense of humour.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:13

maumau
LorenzAgain

That it is a bunch of Mick'solo songs/ideas of songs I think Keith himself has admitted. Exceptions: Rolling Stone Blues, Tell me straight and Driving me too hard that has been labelled as "written together" but to my ears is more Keith's stuff

That everything that Mick brings is bad or forgettable is very arguable. Mick's done duds, no question about it, but...

Is Get Close a Mick's idea? I love it

People many times use the “Mick’s solo songs” as a negative. It isn’t! He himself has said that when he does songs he puts the Stonesy ones aside for the Stones and the solo ones aside for solo projects. The songs on Hackney Diamonds he has done then clearly fall under what Mick Jagger thinks is Stonesy… and I think he knows.

I’m loving the album. Ok the rewrites of Short & Curlies and Tumbling Dice cut a bit too close to home for me, but there’s hardly a bad song on there is there?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 21, 2023 20:20

matxil
maumau
So I understand people noticing the differences, but have they not done this regularly in their past? What did you think the first time you heard the drumming of Undercover, the sound of Heaven on Tattoo You or Hey Negrita and anyone here I'm sure can come up with other examples on the same line

I don't think Heaven, Hey Negrita or even Undercover were "mainstream pop". Like them or not, they were different and in that way still provocative, something unexpected and beyond the obvious.

Imo, back in 1983, Undercover was exactly the Rolling Stones trying to sound like the Rolling Stones but up to date, Hey Negrita is 1975/76 and funk was main course and (luckily) the Stones explored that divergin from their "core rock and roll blues etc business".

I see what you mean, but Undercover, which I like a lot (the whole album), is more trying to be update, trying to catch the wave of the moment soundwise, to be "pop", than to provoke. Provoke their fans back then like me maybe grinning smiley. Hey Negrita quite the same maybe. Heaven you're right, it is not a good example at that, it sounds really "out of time", love it.

My feeling about Hackney Diamonds are really mixed and I want to give it more spins before a "review"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home