Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 96
Re: Hackney Diamonds - Album Talk
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 20, 2023 08:54

HardRiffin
to say that it is not a good album or that it is disappointing seems absurd to me.
Free to say so...but absurd.
The same way those saying its brilliant, legendary and untouchable are absurd but we all have opinions.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 20, 2023 09:19

I think the album has something for everybody. Personally, I don't really LOVE a song like Bite My Head Off.. it's good though. But I do love Dreamy Skies.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 09:36

RollingFreak
HardRiffin
to say that it is not a good album or that it is disappointing seems absurd to me.
Free to say so...but absurd.
The same way those saying its brilliant, legendary and untouchable are absurd but we all have opinions.

The thing is though.......... It could be the best album they have ever made and you would still say it was ****.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:17

I listened to it this morning and at this point I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed. After all the advance praise for it I expected something else. Bite My Head Off, Live By The Sword, and Get Close are really bad even IMO. Then there is the usual slow and plodding Keith song, and a lot of forgettable other songs. You hear them and you forget them. I like Angry, Depending on You, Sweet Sounds of Heaven (though a bit overrated), and Rolling Stones Blues, tho. The rest I don't care for at this point.

Maybe it grows on me after a few more listens but by experience my first impression doesn't change much over time.

Saying that, it's fascinating to some degree that these old geezers are still able to write new shit and record a new album after all these years. But of course we all know that their best years are long, long gone and it'll be all over in the not too distant future, so let us be grateful for what we can get.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 11:06 by Hansman.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:28

Topi
Better than ABB by a country mile.

Not too hard to acomplish.

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:32

Listened to the album last night and for me it is even better than all the professional previews indicated.Surely one of their best albums.Great songs, great production. Thank you for the music..I like it, like it, yes I do.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:34

I don't think this album is better than ABB, about the same but the two singles off Hackney Diamonds are better for sure.
I'll keep what i really think of this album to myself as I'm sure a lot of you will love it, maybe I've outgrown the Rock, i need the Roll.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:40

Hackney is absolutely better than A Bigger Bang. Have any of you revisited abb recently? I dare you to. And I’d love to hear a review of ABB done recently. Hackney Diamonds is way better than ABB by a large margin. Shout out to the truck driver in Peewees big adventure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 10:52 by keefgotsoul.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:55

keefgotsoul
Hackney is absolutely better than A Bigger Bang. Have any of you revisited abb recently? I dare you to. And I’d love to hear a review of ABB done recently. Hackney Diamonds is way better than ABB by a large margin.

That's your opinion, you can't say its absolutely better, you think it's better, to my ears the new album sounds like a Jagger solo album not a Stones album, it's an 80 year old drying to sound young.
I love the two new singles though and I'm proud of them and they blew me away, as far the album it's the same as ABB , i doubt I'll go back to it many times and if i do i will skip tracks.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:56

...about time they grew out of making all this bloody racket...

..and they still haven't had a proper haircut !

[National Service would've sorted 'em out ]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 10:58

Review to come.
Anyway.

The Stones are active, and that, beyond any criticism, commands respect and admiration. You may or may not like the band, you may or may not laugh at their recent live performances, you may or may not like the new album, you may or may not give a damn (yes, that's as true for the Stones as for many other bands of this generation), but they're active.

I wish I could say the same for my favourite band (hello DP smileys with beer).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:00

After 2 weeks of playing whatever came out day in and day out, and now having played the new album about 10 times, I can only say the album is growing. It just keeps getting better and better. It's incredible now in October 2023 Bill 86 Charlie and Mick and Ron plm 80 and Paul 81. The fun and energy pops out of them, this album the instruments and voice can rival the 60's and what came after. After my brain infarct 2 years ago I am overjoyed and happy to be able to experience this. People, enjoy it, this is a miracle. The album has a 10 for me.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:02

Well, this is going to be a classic album! Not a single weak song, the compositions, arrangements, sounds and especially the band playing are top-class. An intact whole, which brings out the best sides of the Stones (rock: Bite My Head of, country Dreamy Skies, brilliant single releases pop-rock Angry and soul classic Sweet Sounds of Heaven, etc.). Charlie on the drums in Mess it Up (made in 2019) has a bit of an eerie feel, but when you listen to it you can find the familiar swinging Master (Steve Jordan is a really tough and suitable drummer for Stones) and in Live by the Sword both Charlie and Bill Wyman, the song swings like in the -70s ..
Andy Watt is a producer wizard! This is the most intact and real band sounding album since Tattoo You (1980). Every album after that is a mixed success; either partly filler songs, too polished sound world, etc. weakening the album's coherence. A Bigger Bang, IMHO, the weakest output, and compared to that, it's a huge step up! This album compares to Bob Dylan's two modern classics from the 2000s; Modern Times and Time out of Mind, at least I still play them continuously.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:34

wesley
(…)
This album compares to Bob Dylan's two modern classics from the 2000s; Modern Times and Time out of Mind, at least I still play them continuously.

hahaha – joke of the year.

The biggest difference between Hackney Diamonds and Time Out Of Mind as well as Love & Theft is that Hackney Diamonds in in the vein with a lot of things the Stones done before while Time Out Of Mind as well as Love & Theft break away from almost everything Dylan has done before. Those two Dylan albums offer a complete new sound and feeling while Hackney Diamonds is a rather typical Stones/Jagger album. That doesn't mean it's bad, of course.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:39

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I mean the times (quantity) of listening the whole album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:39

A wonderful album.

Thank you, The Rolling Stones. You are the best.

- Doxa

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:40

Only halfway through but, to me, it's excellent,

Whole Wide World is my favourite so far.

Posted by: bluecore ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:44

GREAT album!!! One of their best! >grinning smiley<

Date: October 20, 2023 11:47

Doxa
A wonderful album.

Thank you, The Rolling Stones. You are the best.

- Doxa

Yes, yes ....

Posted by: beno ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:48

Side B rules.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:48

deleted

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 12:04 by sf37.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:49

Hansman
Topi
Better than ABB by a country mile.

Not too hard to acomplish.

I know grinning smiley

Posted by: DaveyJMusician ()
Date: October 20, 2023 11:51

I'm really enjoying it so far, really fresh sounding album with lots of gems in the mix - little licks and flourishes from Keith and Ronnie. It's not Exile or Sticky Fingers, but it was never going to be nor was it intended to be. In context, it's a great album and I already know it's one I'll go back to in future. Dreamy Skies is the highlight for me so far, with a special nod to Rollin' Stone Blues.

Date: October 20, 2023 11:53

slewan
wesley
(…)
This album compares to Bob Dylan's two modern classics from the 2000s; Modern Times and Time out of Mind, at least I still play them continuously.

hahaha – joke of the year.

The biggest difference between Hackney Diamonds and Time Out Of Mind as well as Love & Theft is that Hackney Diamonds in in the vein with a lot of things the Stones done before while Time Out Of Mind as well as Love & Theft break away from almost everything Dylan has done before. Those two Dylan albums offer a complete new sound and feeling while Hackney Diamonds is a rather typical Stones/Jagger album. That doesn't mean it's bad, of course.

Why a joke? Those two Dylan albums are modern classics - well, at least TIME OUT OF MIND non-disputed is, released 26 years ago - but not because Dylan, once again, re-invented himself, but because those are great albums. Like HACKNEY DIAMONDS is.

Re-inventing oneself is not a guarantee of greatness in itself or even a value of its own. It is the quality of the results that matter.

- Doxa

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:00

sf37
keefriffhards
keefgotsoul
Hackney is absolutely better than A Bigger Bang. Have any of you revisited abb recently? I dare you to. And I’d love to hear a review of ABB done recently. Hackney Diamonds is way better than ABB by a large margin.

That's your opinion, you can't say its absolutely better, you think it's better, to my ears the new album sounds like a Jagger solo album not a Stones album, it's an 80 year old drying to sound young.
I love the two new singles though and I'm proud of them and they blew me away, as far the album it's the same as ABB , i doubt I'll go back to it many times and if i do i will skip tracks.

In defence of ABB, I still prefer "Rough Justice", "Rain Fall Down", "This Place Is Empty" and "Laugh I Nearly Died" to any of the tracks I've heard so far from HD, though that may change over time with repeated listens. For myself, I think both albums will have had their share of hits and misses, when all is said and done. Of the two new HD singles, "Angry" never really did grab me but I do enjoy "Sweet Sounds of Heaven". I also think that "Mess It Up" may develop into a favourite of mine (though I was a mildly disappointed that the original clip of "Really Wanna Tell The Truth" wasn't fully incorporated as such into "Mess It Up" - it seems it's been altered, and I really enjoyed that original teaser clip).

Anyway, my point is I still enjoy some of ABB though I will skip over some of its tracks (such as "Sweet Neo Con"). From HD, I can't say I much enjoy "Bite My Head Off" and that track will probably become one I skip over time. The other tracks from HD are still open for impressions as I haven't really heard them often enough just yet.

Ride like the wind at double speed.....

Date: October 20, 2023 12:20

keefriffhards
keefgotsoul

It might come to you as a shock, but I need to inform you that The Rolling Stones is a different band and - thank god - sounds different than the Winos. And Mick Jagger has a big and essential role for that. For you it seemingly is that his presence spoils the party for you, and it is 'Jagger solo album', that is, not sounding like the Winos aka Keith Richards solo album. But it's the Stones, man.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-20 12:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Jalfstra ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:44

Of course I immediately started listening to the album as soon as it was unlocked on Apple Music last night (the Dolby Atmos version on headphones).

At first I was kind of underwhelmed by some of the songs. Dreamy Skies reminded me an awful lot of Shorts & Curlies, Driving me too hard sounds like Keith's Locked Away and the first chorus of Get Close is like Mick's Too far gone 2.0. But when I gave them a second and third turn, I actually liked them better than the ones they sound like...

Bite my Head Off, Depending on You, Whole Wide World and Live by the Sword I liked immediately. Very strong, groovy recognizable Rolling Stones classics. Same goes for Angry of course. And Sweet Sounds of Heaven is of course a fantastic song too..

I think it's too soon to compare the album with other Stones albums, but on ABB and BtB there are more 'weaker brothers' of 'fillers' than on this one I think.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:48

First of all I am really happy that the Rolling Stones released a full album with new songs after all these years.
It sounds really fresh but also familiar. In my opinion there is not a bad track on it. The song with Paul McCartney is really great! Love it!!
It is brilliant to hear Charlie and Bill on one song together. Great idea from them to ask Bill on this track!!!
Overall it's a great album which makes me really happy and the Stones proved it they they have it! My compliments to them for this record. I know what i will play the upcoming time.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:53

I honestly don’t hear anything great on this album. I guess it’s ok but nothing memorable. A mediocre Jagger solo album.

Posted by: LondonLee ()
Date: October 20, 2023 12:59

Not a great album, in fact far from it, and feels very much like a mixture of a Mick solo album with a mixture of Stones tracks that weren't released because they weren't deemed decent enough to be put on a B side.

4 excellent tracks - Angry, Sweet sounds... , Tell me Straight and Rolling Stones Blues but for me the rest I'm happy to have listened to and will do so every now and again but seldomly.

I know we couldn't expect something akin to them at their best and should be amazed that men in or near their 80s can still make an album like that but it's not even as good as being a 'Stones by Numbers album'.

Far from being the best output since Some Girls, for me this is the worst record since Dirty Work and, whisper it quietly, I probably prefer that to be honest.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 96

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2404
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home