Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Howard Stern to interview Keith
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 11, 2023 16:24

Some great stuff in there.

Of the new tunes we haven’t heard yet, Howard played clips of Tell Me Straight, Live By the Sword, and Rolling Stone Blues.

Date: October 11, 2023 16:38

It's an excellent conversation.

Keith on the Howard Stern Show, October 11
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 11, 2023 17:13

Re: Keith on the Howard Stern Show, October 11
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 11, 2023 17:47

hot smiley

Keith on the Howard Stern Show, October 11
Date: October 11, 2023 18:09

Keith Richards on The Howard Stern Show, October 11, 2023
Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: October 11, 2023 17:06

Anyone doing a transcription or an audio file to share? I don't have access to Sirius/XM here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 20:20 by bv.

Re: Keith's interview with Howard Stern
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 11, 2023 17:17

YouTube clips are rolling out:

“Rolling Stone Blues”:
[youtu.be]

Grandpa Gus:
[youtu.be]

Charlie (with brief snippet of Live by the Sword):
[youtu.be]

Satisfaction:
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-11 17:48 by MelBelli.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: October 11, 2023 18:01

MelBelli
YouTube clips are rolling out:

“Rolling Stone Blues”:
[youtu.be]

Grandpa Gus:
[youtu.be]

Charlie (with brief snippet of Live by the Sword):
[youtu.be]

Satisfaction:
[youtu.be]

Thank you!smileys with beer

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 11, 2023 18:03

smoking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 11, 2023 18:23

You must have missed this one: [iorr.org]

Re: Keith Richards on The Howard Stern Show, October 11, 2023
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 11, 2023 21:48

So Mick got a shortened interview a couple years ago and now Keith's was prerecorded. Boy, the Stones really do not trust 2020 Howard Stern, who is the safest interview you could do these days.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 11, 2023 21:56

Spud
Oh I don't know about that ... I don't think blokes ever really grow out of that silly schoolboy sense of humour .

..especially we daft Brits.grinning smiley

Farts still make me laugh.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:10

Keith looking & sounding frickin amazing !
Count down is on to Oct 20th..
And I'm now soooooo excited to see the tour next year...
hopefully a westcoast gig smiling smiley Vancouver/Seattle to be exact

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:43

Keith looks younger and healthier than..10 years ago.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:47

RollingFreak
So Mick got a shortened interview a couple years ago and now Keith's was prerecorded. Boy, the Stones really do not trust 2020 Howard Stern, who is the safest interview you could do these days.

Of course it was pre-recorded.
Do you really think Keef would get up at 6am to go to an interview? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: drgonzo7198 ()
Date: October 11, 2023 22:47

Anyone got an audio/video file they could share?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:13

RSB sounds great and LBTS doesn't sound like the "dud" described in most reviews. Mick's voice is treated like on "Break The Spell" so that's a good start. Wonder who does the count in, Don Was ? So there are at least two count-ins on the album, after only one (Sway) in 60 years !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 11, 2023 23:34

drgonzo7198
Anyone got an audio/video file they could share?

yes please!smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 12, 2023 00:04

Keith is great ,but so far boring questions.Who doesn’t know they were named after that song. How about asking him if there is stuff left in the vaults and kinda be specific. How about asking him if he plays all the guitars on JJ Flash. How about asking him his favorite albums and live shows.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 12, 2023 00:55

good stuff;

when he talks about the bass in Satisfaction and "admits" he doesn't write all the parts and that is the good part of being in a band makes you sigh and wish Mick and Keith would have shared the wealth a bit more.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2023 02:06

HalfNanker
good stuff;

when he talks about the bass in Satisfaction and "admits" he doesn't write all the parts and that is the good part of being in a band makes you sigh and wish Mick and Keith would have shared the wealth a bit more.

It may seem strange, although maybe not in the 2020s or the last 20 some years, but the rest of the band members, whenever, most likely, especially Ronnie, after 1992, made more money from gigs than they ever would've from royalties, especially 5% or 10% shares.

2 cheques a year in the mail.

Ronnie probably doesn't get much from his 11 (although should be 13) Stones songs.

Keith Richards on The Howard Stern Show, October 11, 2023
Date: October 12, 2023 02:11

Rolling Stones Legend Keith Richards Makes His Stern Show Debut

Iconic guitarist talks loss of Charlie Watts, relationship with Mick Jagger, and the band’s first new album in 18 years

October 11, 2023

The man, the myth, the bandana-clad legend Keith Richards has finally made his Stern Show debut, much to Howard’s satisfaction. The iconic Rolling Stones guitarist and some might say living embodiment of rock and roll opened up to listeners about his life, his love of music, and why, unlike his decades-long partner in rock Mick Jagger, he will never be knighted. The 79-year-old rock and blues pioneer also had plenty to say about “Hackney Diamonds,” the Rolling Stones first original album in nearly two decades and the band’s only one without founding drummer Charlie Watts, who passed away in 2021.

While it’s been more than two years since Watts’ death, Keith still thinks about his bandmate of nearly 60 years all the time. “I miss Charlie every day,” Richards admitted to Howard as he sat across from him in the Stern Show studio. “As I come out of my bedroom the first thing I see is … a portrait of Charlie on the staircase — I always give him a salute on the way … Charlie Watts was a solid guy.”

In fact, when Howard played the new Stones track “Live by the Sword,” featuring Charlie and the band’s former bassist Bill Wyman, Richards was clearly emotional. “Well, it’s the last time that bunch is ever going to be heard together, you know?” he noted.

Even from the Stones’ beginnings in early 60s London, Watts was an essential part of the band. So much so that initially, he was the only one getting paid. “If we didn’t have him, we wouldn’t be able to do the gig, and the gigs paid off right away. And Charlie wanted to do it – that’s what we knew,” Keith said. “Did we luck out with that guy.”

And while many notable musicians paid tribute to Watts when he passed away in 2021, after decades of playing together, Richards is perhaps best qualified to speak on the drummer’s chops. “He had feel, he had intelligence,” he explained. “Rock and roll doesn’t necessarily need the whole battery of drums, it’s got to do with when to not hit … if you’re making music, silence is your canvas.”

Keith also pointed out the subtlety of Charlie’s playing. “He would throw in ideas that you hadn’t really thought of … [and] at the same time, such a solid beat,” he told Howard. “I never had to worry about anything, which gives the rest of us the freedom to like fly.”

Making his long-awaited Stern Show debut, Keith didn’t hold back as he told Howard about the band’s rich history and the stories behind some of their greatest songs, his love of the guitar, and all things rock and roll, along with much, much more.

While His Guitar Gently Sleeps

The Rolling Stones have sold over 240 million albums and are right up there with the Beatles in the conversation of greatest rock bands of all time, but who knows if any of it would have been possible if it weren’t for one man — Keith’s grandfather, Gus. As Keith remembers it, he was around 12 or 13 years old when his grandfather noticed him staring at the guitar on his shelf. As Gus put the guitar in Keith’s hands, he encouraged him to learn the flamenco standard “Malaguena.” “He said, ‘If you can learn that you’ll be able to play guitar,’” Keith recalled. “It was a few months before I said, ‘I’ve got to take this further.’”

Eventually, Richards got to a point where he was ready to collaborate. “It just started to come to me. And then I realized what I really wanted to do was play with another cat … because basically you’re jerking off by yourself,” he said with a laugh of learning guitar alone in a room. “But what you can do with another cat throwing in licks and like counterpoint and just playing against each other–that opens up a whole world.”

If playing with people like some of his fellow art school classmates opened up a whole world, meeting future bandmate and songwriting partner Mick Jagger on a train platform created an entire new universe. “I mean it wasn’t seriously until Mick and I hooked …. otherwise, it was just a hobby,” he said of the guitar before admitting that meeting Jagger and starting the band changed everything. “There was no possibility of doing anything else.”

Things got so serious with the guitar that he eventually started sleeping with it. “That’s how I got ‘Satisfaction’ — because it was always within hand’s reach,” he said of one of the Stones’ earliest and biggest hits.

Married for 40 years to wife Patti Hansen, Keith might not sleep with the instrument anymore, but he’s with it constantly. “I pick it up just about every day,” he said before explaining the possibilities that come with that practice. “It’s a work in progress. Every time you pick the thing up, there’s the potential of finding something totally new.”

The Secret to Their ‘Satisfaction’

Richards has spent most of his life with a guitar by his side, even while he sleeps. Famously, that’s how he wrote the Stones’ 1965 hit “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” though he originally intended for the song’s now-iconic guitar riff to be recorded on another instrument.

“[The guitar riff] was a sketch for what the horns should do,” he told Howard. “[Then] Andrew Oldham said, ‘Boom! This’ll do, Bubba,’” Keith continued, explaining the band’s one-time manager and record producer was a more integral part of the Rolling Stones than most people realized.

“He was the one that pulled us all together,” Keith said.

It was through Oldham that Richards met fashion model Linda Keith, who ultimately inspired him to write one of the band’s next big singles, “Ruby Tuesday.”

“This [song] is your farewell to her?” Howard asked.

“Yeah, I think so,” Keith said. “And it’s also the first thing I wrote on piano.”

Howard was amazed by the talent in the room with him. “Even if you guys had stopped right there and never wrote another song, you’d still be legends,” Howard said.

“Sometimes I wish we had,” Keith laughed.

A Hackney Diamond Gathers No Moss

For as much care as the Rolling Stones put into writing and recording their music, Keith told Howard naming their albums was sometimes an afterthought. In the case of “Let It Bleed” and “Beggars Banquet,” two of their most critically and commercially successful efforts, the titles didn’t mean much at all. Their new album “Hackney Diamonds,” meanwhile,” is taken from a British euphemism for broken glass left behind after robberies in the East London borough of Hackney.

“It’s a smash-and-grab, Saturday night gone mad thing,” Keith said. Though he was pleased with the album name, he said coming up with it wasn’t easy. “The title took longer than the record, man,” he laughed.

“Hackney Diamonds’” final track pays homage to the Muddy Waters song “Rollin’ Stone,” and for good reason. “[The song] was how we got the name of the band in the first place,” Keith said. “[We were] on a phone call … we had a gig. They said, ‘What are you called?’ And there was Muddy’s album cover lying on the floor, and the first track was ‘Rollin’ Stone,’ and we said, [‘We’re the] Rolling Stones’ because the phone call was costing money,” he recalled with a laugh.

“Hackney Diamonds” is available on Friday, Oct. 20.

[www.howardstern.com]

Date: October 12, 2023 02:13

gotdablouse
RSB sounds great and LBTS doesn't sound like the "dud" described in most reviews. Mick's voice is treated like on "Break The Spell" so that's a good start. Wonder who does the count in, Don Was ? So there are at least two count-ins on the album, after only one (Sway) in 60 years !

Eh, 1991.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 12, 2023 03:32

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

Eh, 1991.
Mick counted in New Faces didn’t he?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 12, 2023 03:38

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

Eh, 1991.

yes your right

and i'm a little confused by 1991 neither sex drive or highwire have a count-in in any version that i have

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 12, 2023 04:50

So fantastic for Bill to finally get his due for his part on Satisfaction. Initiated by Paul Simon no less. I've wondered for years why no one brought it up.

Date: October 12, 2023 06:26

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

Eh, 1991.

yes your right

and i'm a little confused by 1991 neither sex drive or highwire have a count-in in any version that i have

Oh crap. You're right - it's not on the album! The promo single for Highwire has the count in! LOL forgot about that.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: October 12, 2023 06:37

Keith was amazing

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 12, 2023 12:04

RaahenTiikeri

I was thinking the same. What a difference!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 12, 2023 13:23

Wuudy
RaahenTiikeri

I was thinking the same. What a difference!

At this point Keith looking healthier than his friends who led a healthy life, as for his age most are dead already, Keith really did prove drinking, drugging and smoking can work for the chosen few.

Comments online saying this was a great interview from Keith and Howard.thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home