Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 28 of 29
Re: Sweet Sounds of Heaven - Track Talk
Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 27, 2023 07:08

wow, what a great way of waking up, the live version of sweet sounds of heaven is beautifull, bringing me tears in the eyes, thank you lady gaga and the rolling stones smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 27, 2023 07:09

i hope they bring her on the tour as well...

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 27, 2023 19:20

Not sure if this has been posted here yet?
Lady Gaga's experience recording SSOH.
So cool!
RocknRoll history for sure!

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 28, 2023 12:13

maumau
dare I say we have a brand new warhorse?

Maybe, but it’d have to take a very prominent spot on the setlist given that the band has a somewhat limited number of concerts left in them. They have a humdinger of an album in their hands right now, and they could make the two singles into warhorses if they had Angry as the opening song, and SSOH as the second last song (the YCAGWYW spot). Add to that the “rarities” one or two songs should be occupied by HD songs as well. Keith could do TMS, and then they have to do a new one on the b-stage as well. That way they’d play 5 off HD, but it would be deserving of even more if you ask me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 30, 2023 00:11

DandelionPowderman
Making the video visible for you, liddas. Incredible version!
it improves on the studio version that's why it got me wondering whether this was not quickly overdubbed
especially the guitars have some tasty fills not heard on the studio version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-30 00:12 by Whale.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 30, 2023 09:28

This is the weakest song on HD for me. The lyrics are cheesy, the three chords of the verses are tortured over 7 minutes. It's all pretty unimaginative. Plus, who needs a Lady Gaga on a Stones album, since the Stones have always had and continue to have good backup singers? The bleeping and yowling gets on my nerves. But I'm sure the Bible Belt and the marketing people are happy.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 30, 2023 15:35

RobertJohnson
This is the weakest song on HD for me. The lyrics are cheesy, the three chords of the verses are tortured over 7 minutes. It's all pretty unimaginative. Plus, who needs a Lady Gaga on a Stones album, since the Stones have always had and continue to have good backup singers? The bleeping and yowling gets on my nerves. But I'm sure the Bible Belt and the marketing people are happy.

I’m sorry. With all due respect it’s the best thing on there. I never expected a track of EOMS quality this late, but we can of course agree to disagree.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 30, 2023 16:17

JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

I’m sorry. With all due respect it’s the best thing on there. I never expected a track of EOMS quality this late, but we can of course agree to disagree.

It doesn't matter at all to disagree. Otherwise we could save ourselves all the discussions on this board.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 30, 2023 16:33

RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

It doesn't matter at all to disagree. Otherwise we could save ourselves all the discussions on this board.

I live in the Bible Belt, are you talking about me, Sunshine?

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 30, 2023 16:47

We’ll never all agree but I live thousands of miles away from the Bible belt and it’s one of the best new songs I’ve heard in decades, by any artist

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 30, 2023 17:35

Japanese SHM-CD of 'Sweet Sounds Of Heaven' (2-track version) also available at [www.jpc.de] - (24-Nov-2023).

Date: October 31, 2023 11:32

Natlanta
RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

So, do you like the lyrics?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: October 31, 2023 11:53

Irix
Japanese SHM-CD of 'Sweet Sounds Of Heaven' (2-track version) also available at [www.jpc.de] - (24-Nov-2023).
Bonus track = long version?
Would be great to get an official release on CD of the live version.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 31, 2023 13:52

RobertJohnson
Natlanta
RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

Asked you first @#$%&, are you referring to me and don’t dodge the question again you bigot.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 31, 2023 14:30

MAF

Bonus track = long version?

No, it's the other way around: the Edit version is the bonus track - [www.Universal-Music.co.jp] - (UICY-5139).

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: November 10, 2023 01:50

Goose Bump song. Love everything about it. Love some of the Stones longer songs like Memory Motel , Can't you Hear Me Knocking and this one. They are nothing alike but all are faves. SSOH has a beautiful gospel feel and the lyrics are perfect. Masterpiece.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 10, 2023 09:58

RobertJohnson
Natlanta
RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

I don't live anywhere near a bible belt, and I agree with you, the lyrics are silly. Over the last decades, Mick quite often uses the bible or biblical references as an inspiration for his lyrics. Of course, it's a rich source, full of material about blood, violence, sex and redemption, but indeed it's a bit silly. I am pretty sure none of the Stones really believes in religious nonsense, and the only thing that falls from the sky is rain, not sweet sounds.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: November 10, 2023 10:27

Absolutely love this song. Love it.

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: November 10, 2023 14:10

matxil
RobertJohnson
Natlanta
RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

I don't live anywhere near a bible belt, and I agree with you, the lyrics are silly. Over the last decades, Mick quite often uses the bible or biblical references as an inspiration for his lyrics. Of course, it's a rich source, full of material about blood, violence, sex and redemption, but indeed it's a bit silly. I am pretty sure none of the Stones really believes in religious nonsense, and the only thing that falls from the sky is rain, not sweet sounds.

The world is invaded by reaggeton brainless lyrics. Even “We are the World”, a huge effort and collaboration for a good cause had less meaningful lyrics in their anthem of hope attempt.
Sweet Sounds of Heaven lift’s beyond and it’s very welcome.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2023 15:30

matxil
RobertJohnson
Natlanta
RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

Well snow, hail, meteors, satellites and other sorts of cosmic dust also fall from the sky, to be clear.

But with an attitude like that you might just go to hell in some dusty motel!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: November 10, 2023 17:28

matxil
RobertJohnson
Natlanta
RobertJohnson
JumpingKentFlash
RobertJohnson

You do realise poetry isn't literal? As for the Stones 'not believing' I'm sure that may be right re organised religion but Keith has often spoken about his belief that musical inspiration comes from some mysterious place outside of him - specifically that he is merely the instrument for 'receiving' songs. He even uses religious imagery talking about there 'being only one song and that is Adam and Eve'. So I don't see the metaphor of sweet sounds coming from heaven as music coming from an eternal place is anything new or inauthentic from the Stones lyric partnership.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 11, 2023 21:35

watching the live versione again (commotion). To me, by now, rooted in one of their black music american roots, it is safe to say that in 2023 the band delivered another classic

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: November 13, 2023 02:50

maumau
watching the live versione again (commotion). To me, by now, rooted in one of their black music american roots, it is safe to say that in 2023 the band delivered another classic

I’m with you. This is song and the live performance is an amazing
an unpredictable gift.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 13, 2023 06:15

It's a fabulous song. I don't understand some of the dislike by some.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 16, 2023 06:13

I've been on the fence about this tune since its release as the second single.

Fortunately the album gives it context.

Here's the bitch about it:

I'd rather listen to this than Wild Horses.

At least at the moment.

Even though it could fit in on Side B of STICKY FINGERS (obviously in passion/execution, not modernism, which leads towards the side B of TATTOO YOU).

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 16, 2023 10:18

slew
It's a fabulous song. I don't understand some of the dislike by some.

IMO, it's just too much of everything to be honest. I like the intention, the groove, the instrumentation, etc. But everyone (except Keith maybe) playing and singing on full blast combined with the overcompression which leads to even more boominess of the drums just make it very tiresome. It's better on a sound system but on headphones it's really no pleasure at all for me...

Date: November 16, 2023 12:36

I keep trying.
I was listening to a very underground R&B station yesterday, and the DJ decided he was going to play the Top 3 R&B cuts in the nation. It totally surprised me when #1 is SSOh. I thought maybe in this setting I will like it. But, no - it is still overblown. I hate it b/c it is such a great album.
But the DJ did rap a little over the end section. That was a bonus

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: November 21, 2023 05:24

Turd On The Run
matxil
Turd On The Run
Lady Gaga might not be your cup of tea, (she is not someone that I would go see in concert or an artist that I would listen to) but talent she has in spades. I did not think so until I heard her sing with Tony Bennet. That gentleman would NEVER come together with anyone who was not an elite-level talent.

Her vocals on Sweet Sound of Heaven lift that song - much like Mary Clayton did for Gimme Shelter 54 years ago - to mythic status. That song is the glittering jewel of Hackney Diamonds, and - truly and for the first time in many years - provides the Stones with a new song that will have to be played live as one of their canon of unforgettable classics. Lady Gaga is partly responsible for that... and bless her for it...

I am sorry, you're not the first to make that comparison and most likely not the last, but comparing "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" to "Gimme Shelter", or the performance of Lady Gaga to Mary Clayton, just rubs me the wrong way.
Lady Gaga sings very well, and SSOH is a good song, and I certainly don't think the Stones should sound like the 60s (but I do wish they would be less of a pop band) or re-do Let It Bleed. In short, there's nothing wrong with SSOH, but it's not Gimme Shelter, for many reasons.
I think Gimme Shelter is one of the rare occasions where the Stones really touched something (and I hesitate to use this word) "spiritual". The guitar, the drums, the drive, the whole sense of doom and threat, the poignant lyrics full of terribly violent images, somehow sounding sincere, and then Mary Clayton giving it all, singing those utterly devastating lyrics..., I think it's otherwordly and at the same utterly about the misery of this world, and - judging by human nature - its message will (unfortunately) still strike after 500 years.
I don't mean to put down SSOH in some nasty way, but it just doesn't reach that same level.

Firstly, I never said that SSOH "is Gimme Shelter". SSOH -magnificent as it is - stands on its own and needs not be "compared" to any other song in the Stones' canon. I clearly wrote that Lady Gaga's vocals elevated the song in much the same way that Mary Clayton's vocals elevated the masterful Gimme Shelter. That is all.

Secondly, Gimme Shelter "reaches" me the same way it reaches you... I remember the feeling 54 years ago when I first heard it as a kid... it was, as you so beautifully put it, "otherworldy". Where you and I differ is that SSOH "reaches" me in a similar way in 2023... and it doesn't reach you. I truly believe that SSOH will also be revered many years into the future as one of the Stones' finest moments.

It’s Merry Clayton, not Mary Clayton!!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: November 21, 2023 05:27

I haven’t followed this thread and don’t have time to read all 28 pages. Does anyone know what the Stones’ initial plan was for this song, before Lady Gaga happened to be in the adjacent studio and spontaneously was asked to sing on this song? I honestly can’t imagine it now without her vocals. Was it originally just going to be Mick singing?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 21, 2023 12:22

That would depend on how much you believe the 'spontaneously dropped in' story...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-21 12:22 by peoplewitheyes.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 28 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home