Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 27 of 29
Re: Sweet Sounds of Heaven - Track Talk
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 21, 2023 18:50

Perhaps the first real classic -Stones hit since 1981's Start Me Up.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:49

I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-21 20:52 by GJV.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2023 20:59

powerage78

Agreed, it just has the 'instant classic' vibe to it.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: October 21, 2023 21:25

MadMax
Great tune! Best along with Angry, Live By The Sword and Mess It Up.

Maybe someone has already mentioned it but y'all surely aware this is I Got Dreams To Remember from the leaked stuff we got 2 years ago?

It is [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 22, 2023 20:27

Lady Gaga might not be your cup of tea, (she is not someone that I would go see in concert or an artist that I would listen to) but talent she has in spades. I did not think so until I heard her sing with Tony Bennet. That gentleman would NEVER come together with anyone who was not an elite-level talent.

Her vocals on Sweet Sound of Heaven lift that song - much like Mary Clayton did for Gimme Shelter 54 years ago - to mythic status. That song is the glittering jewel of Hackney Diamonds, and - truly and for the first time in many years - provides the Stones with a new song that will have to be played live as one of their canon of unforgettable classics. Lady Gaga is partly responsible for that... and bless her for it...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2023 21:04

Turd On The Run
Lady Gaga might not be your cup of tea, (she is not someone that I would go see in concert or an artist that I would listen to) but talent she has in spades. I did not think so until I heard her sing with Tony Bennet. That gentleman would NEVER come together with anyone who was not an elite-level talent.

Her vocals on Sweet Sound of Heaven lift that song - much like Mary Clayton did for Gimme Shelter 54 years ago - to mythic status. That song is the glittering jewel of Hackney Diamonds, and - truly and for the first time in many years - provides the Stones with a new song that will have to be played live as one of their canon of unforgettable classics. Lady Gaga is partly responsible for that... and bless her for it...

spot on post. Saw Tony Bennett in concert...awesome.

Saw Lady Gaga in concert...a bit of a trainwreck and funny in spots.

But a fantastic voice and talent and did lift this already great song to even higher heights.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: October 22, 2023 23:06

treaclefingers
powerage78

Agreed, it just has the 'instant classic' vibe to it.

100%. Regardless of the cliche of "best Stones album since Tattoo You," one thing is clear: this song is actually, the best Stones song since anything off of Tattoo You, and it is worthy of the pantheon of their best work. Stunning!

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 23, 2023 01:06

I`ve always liked the 5 minutes edit version best, but I don`t know if that is just the long version minus the extended jam at the end.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 23, 2023 01:53

noughties
I`ve always liked the 5 minutes edit version best, but I don`t know if that is just the long version minus the extended jam at the end.
It is the same take but different mix minus jam at the end and a few minor edits.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 23, 2023 02:01

-Thanks. That proves that at least there was some difference. Makes me think. My first listens to the edit version on the net were just so precious moments...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-23 02:03 by noughties.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 23, 2023 08:51

Have to say, even after umpteen listens it is still giving me chills

Fantastic song ..Oh yeah!

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 23, 2023 11:44

ironbelly
noughties
It is the same take but different mix minus jam at the end and a few minor edits.

The main difference is that in the edit version the third verse is sang by Lady Gaga:
I smell the sweet scents, the sweet scents of heaven (sweet - of heaven)
Tumbling down, tumbling down to the earth (tumbling down - oh)
I hear the sweet sounds, sweet sounds of children (sweet sound - ooh the sweet sounds)
And they're praising the land of their birth (praising)

In the extended versión is Jagger who sings

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 23, 2023 11:45

il sole 24 ore, an Italian newspaper, writes that the song is basically "i've got dreams to remember" by Otis redding.
and we know it was on the 3cd bootleg we got some time ago.
what do people think?
(the review they have is like that of pitchfork acidic at best)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 23, 2023 12:06

Turd On The Run

I am sorry, you're not the first to make that comparison and most likely not the last, but comparing "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" to "Gimme Shelter", or the performance of Lady Gaga to Mary Clayton, just rubs me the wrong way.
Lady Gaga sings very well, and SSOH is a good song, and I certainly don't think the Stones should sound like the 60s (but I do wish they would be less of a pop band) or re-do Let It Bleed. In short, there's nothing wrong with SSOH, but it's not Gimme Shelter, for many reasons.
I think Gimme Shelter is one of the rare occasions where the Stones really touched something (and I hesitate to use this word) "spiritual". The guitar, the drums, the drive, the whole sense of doom and threat, the poignant lyrics full of terribly violent images, somehow sounding sincere, and then Mary Clayton giving it all, singing those utterly devastating lyrics..., I think it's otherwordly and at the same utterly about the misery of this world, and - judging by human nature - its message will (unfortunately) still strike after 500 years.
I don't mean to put down SSOH in some nasty way, but it just doesn't reach that same level.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2023 12:54

I love Sweet Sounds, but I find the shouting contest between Mick and Lady Gaga at the ending truly terrible. Live the shouting even turned horrible.

Mathijs

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 23, 2023 15:51

goingmad
ironbelly
noughties

The main difference is that in the edit version the third verse is sang by Lady Gaga:
I smell the sweet scents, the sweet scents of heaven (sweet - of heaven)
Tumbling down, tumbling down to the earth (tumbling down - oh)
I hear the sweet sounds, sweet sounds of children (sweet sound - ooh the sweet sounds)
And they're praising the land of their birth (praising)

In the extended versión is Jagger who sings
This is what is called different mix. The vocal take is the same. But for album version Mick is upfront and Lady Gaga is buried in the mix in that part of the track. For 'Radio Edit' vocals are reversed on the scene = Mick is buried and Lady Gaga is upfront. Also, there are some differences the way they mixed guitars during solo and an obvious edit for drums in the beginning of the track. You can catch those differences in Audacity clearly.

Whale
il sole 24 ore, an Italian newspaper, writes that the song is basically "i've got dreams to remember" by Otis redding.
and we know it was on the 3cd bootleg we got some time ago.
what do people think?
(the review they have is like that of pitchfork acidic at best)
That was discussed briefly when the single came out. There is some resemblance in chord progression for sure.

Date: October 23, 2023 16:23

<There is some resemblance in chord progression for sure>

The same resemblance as 12 bar blues-chords have for different songs. This is pretty standard soul chords - apart from that the songs aren't alike at all.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: October 23, 2023 21:39

matxil
Turd On The Run

I am sorry, you're not the first to make that comparison and most likely not the last, but comparing "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" to "Gimme Shelter", or the performance of Lady Gaga to Mary Clayton, just rubs me the wrong way.
Lady Gaga sings very well, and SSOH is a good song, and I certainly don't think the Stones should sound like the 60s (but I do wish they would be less of a pop band) or re-do Let It Bleed. In short, there's nothing wrong with SSOH, but it's not Gimme Shelter, for many reasons.
I think Gimme Shelter is one of the rare occasions where the Stones really touched something (and I hesitate to use this word) "spiritual". The guitar, the drums, the drive, the whole sense of doom and threat, the poignant lyrics full of terribly violent images, somehow sounding sincere, and then Mary Clayton giving it all, singing those utterly devastating lyrics..., I think it's otherwordly and at the same utterly about the misery of this world, and - judging by human nature - its message will (unfortunately) still strike after 500 years.
I don't mean to put down SSOH in some nasty way, but it just doesn't reach that same level.

Firstly, I never said that SSOH "is Gimme Shelter". SSOH -magnificent as it is - stands on its own and needs not be "compared" to any other song in the Stones' canon. I clearly wrote that Lady Gaga's vocals elevated the song in much the same way that Mary Clayton's vocals elevated the masterful Gimme Shelter. That is all.

Secondly, Gimme Shelter "reaches" me the same way it reaches you... I remember the feeling 54 years ago when I first heard it as a kid... it was, as you so beautifully put it, "otherworldy". Where you and I differ is that SSOH "reaches" me in a similar way in 2023... and it doesn't reach you. I truly believe that SSOH will also be revered many years into the future as one of the Stones' finest moments.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2023 23:26

DandelionPowderman

The same resemblance as 12 bar blues-chords have for different songs. This is pretty standard soul chords - apart from that the songs aren't alike at all.

Plus the 'original' Redding song was intentionally a gospel pastishe, picking up a pretty traditional gospel melody hook/line around which they wrote their song, the same one Jagger and co. use pretty loosely here again. Trad. stuff.

- Doxa

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 24, 2023 12:03

I don't want to be the person with the controversial opinion here. But for me, Sweet Sounds is one of the lowlights on the album and I usually skip it. I like how it starts and everything but as soon as they start to duet it gets on my nerves. It's way too much of everything and after 2 minutes they've already made it way to clear that they want this to be an epic Gospel tune and theeen comes the horn section on top. It's kitsch and self-indulgent. I don't think it's that musical. While I love Steve's drumming on the rest of the songs, he pushes it too much here. I like the bridge and the break down, though.

A tune like I Got The Blues has way more decency and respect for the genre, in my view. But I can see why people like it, because it has a vibe that wasn't to be found on a Stones album for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-24 12:04 by MonkeyMan2000.

Win a free test pressing of SSOH
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 24, 2023 17:55

Anyone else see the new email?

[zaphod.vvhp.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-24 17:57 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 26, 2023 10:56

This is not my thing at all. The worst track from the whole album. Apart from the cheesy lyrics, another negative point is that essentially 3 chords are tortured over 7 minutes. I find this unimaginative and boring. The song comes across as if it was tailored to the needs of the Bible Belt. Okay, MJ sings about the gods and says goodbye to monotheism (small mistake, the marketing people weren't paying attention there), but the Bible-believing people won't even notice that.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 26, 2023 13:23

Just saw Sweet Sounds on the Stones' official YT channell

[youtu.be]

The band tears the house down!

C

Date: October 26, 2023 13:53

Making the video visible for you, liddas. Incredible version!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 26, 2023 14:01

RobertJohnson
This is not my thing at all. The worst track from the whole album. Apart from the cheesy lyrics, another negative point is that essentially 3 chords are tortured over 7 minutes. I find this unimaginative and boring. The song comes across as if it was tailored to the needs of the Bible Belt. Okay, MJ sings about the gods and says goodbye to monotheism (small mistake, the marketing people weren't paying attention there), but the Bible-believing people won't even notice that.

I played this song on guitar and for sure there's more than 3 chords over 7 minutes. E.g. the bridge has completely different chords and also during verses variations could be played.

Date: October 26, 2023 14:35

There are minor chords, too smiling smiley

Just a reminder, Gimme Shelter has only three chords. Does that matter? I have the audacity to answer myself: No!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 26, 2023 15:03

DandelionPowderman
There are minor chords, too smiling smiley

Just a reminder, Gimme Shelter has only three chords. Does that matter? I have the audacity to answer myself: No!

Yes, there are more than 3 chords over all, I know, so I wrote "essentially 3 chords". The main point is that the A, A7, D repetition makes the track boring. Gimme Shelter has over all 4 Chords by the way, I guess, and the Cis makes it. >grinning smiley< It would have been better if the refrain had been played two or three times.(Besides, this is the only thing that could make Beast of Burden even better. In Miss You they managed it in the live versions since 89.)

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 26, 2023 16:31

DandelionPowderman
Making the video visible for you, liddas. Incredible version!

Fu***ing great version!

C

Date: October 26, 2023 22:58

I think I finally have come around to liking it.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 27, 2023 00:17

dare I say we have a brand new warhorse?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 27 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home