Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 5, 2023 17:43

MadMetaphoricalMax
Fewer than half a million views on either of the YouTube 'videos' - I'm flummoxed as to why they didnt put out a studio-based video in full rather than that little snippet we got. We just get that dull hand and raindrops. I love it but its impact has not been broad. `maybe it's deep...

I think all the effort was poured into Angry: the video; promotion, etc. It was the lead-single, so makes sense, I guess. Although I far prefer Sweet Sound of Heaven, in my opinion, Angry was the better choice to launch their next chapter. It largely worked, too.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 5, 2023 17:50

Well two days ago I was working at my office and we mostly play Spotify top hits playlists, but I put on Sweet Sounds of Heaven and a young colleage (about 22 years old) walked in and said "you guys are playing good music here!" He didn't know the song but he immediately added it to his Spotify liked songs. And yesterday he said: Nils, can you put on that Rolling Stones song again? So we play it in the office now every now and then. People like it but are not exposed to it from the radio.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2023 17:58

Rockman
Me ..... No foolin' around ..... I've completely straight ....

Ollie Brown's dead open

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2023 17:59

georgelicks
mailexile67
What position in UK charts?!Better than "Angry"...Top 30?!

No way, low streaming and no physical sales, it was at #57 on Monday's Midweek, it will struggle to remain at Top 100 on tomorrow's chart.

that's a pity.

Posted by: DeeGee ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:00

treaclefingers
Rockman

Ollie Brown's dead open

Ronnie Wood's gay....

---
5 Strings, 2 Hands, 1 A*****e

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:09

treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67

No way, low streaming and no physical sales, it was at #57 on Monday's Midweek, it will struggle to remain at Top 100 on tomorrow's chart.

that's a pity.

yeah, also the stream are divided between the two versions as well. but yes it's a pity of course but also not a very commercial tune if you get what I mean apart from the fact that Lady Gaga is on it. Also, both versions are quite long. I love it though.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:17

tiffanyblu
treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67

that's a pity.

yeah, also the stream are divided between the two versions as well. but yes it's a pity of course but also not a very commercial tune if you get what I mean apart from the fact that Lady Gaga is on it. Also, both versions are quite long. I love it though.

Both versions are combined for the chart, but the streaming is very low for both, great tune but no single material, even less on todays market.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:45

I really thought that Lady Gaga's presence would broaden the target and arouse interest...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:52

georgelicks
tiffanyblu
treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67

that's a pity.

Both versions are combined for the chart, but the streaming is very low for both, great tune but no single material, even less on todays market.

This great song only misses a great video.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:58

powerage78
I really thought that Lady Gaga's presence would broaden the target and arouse interest...

The vast majority of Spotify subscribers is below 44 yo

[www.businessofapps.com]

Based on the artists that make the charts, I would say that the big streaming numbers are made by the very young subscribers.

All this to say that it is almost impossible for a band like the stones to be relevant on Spotify.

C

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: October 5, 2023 18:59

DeeGee
treaclefingers
Rockman

Ollie Brown's dead open

Ronnie Wood's gay....

Billy is open for offers...

Date: October 5, 2023 19:06

georgelicks
tiffanyblu
treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67

that's a pity.

ah did not know they were combined - thx for the info! even on billboard?

Date: October 5, 2023 19:21

tiffanyblu
georgelicks
tiffanyblu
treaclefingers
georgelicks
mailexile67

that's a pity.

ah did not know they were combined - thx for the info! even on billboard?

All the versions (singles and albums) are combined on today's charts.

Date: October 5, 2023 19:26

liddas
powerage78

[www.businessofapps.com]

Based on the artists that make the charts, I would say that the big streaming numbers are made by the very young subscribers.

All this to say that it is almost impossible for a band like the stones to be relevant on Spotify.

C

Also Lady Gaga is not the Hot Name out there anymore, a duet with Dua Lipa would have attracted an audience 10 times larger at least, she's one of the 3 most popular artists worldwide right now.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 5, 2023 19:49

georgelicks
liddas
powerage78

[www.businessofapps.com]

C

Also Lady Gaga is not the Hot Name out there anymore, a duet with Dua Lipa would have attracted an audience 10 times larger at least, she's one of the 3 most popular artists worldwide right now.

Sure Dua Lipa would have generated more interest, but only 30 sec. streams out of curiosity. A Stones song with Lady Gaga, Dua Lipa or you name it, would always sound like a Stones song, not a contemporary one.

I see it with my daughters, Sweet Sounds of Heaven is, for them, no matter Andy Watt gimmicks, a song from such a distant past that leaves them completely cold.

Unfortunately or rightly so, I don't know

C

Date: October 5, 2023 19:50

georgelicks
liddas
powerage78

[www.businessofapps.com]

C

yep, if they just wanted streams/publicity there are a lot of other artists that have been shown by Paul McCartney and Elton. But hey - good song!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 5, 2023 19:50

georgelicks
liddas
powerage78

[www.businessofapps.com]

C

That’s a point regarding GaGa that I’d made earlier. It’s very true. Her chart-success, singles-wise, was over a decade ago, circa 2008-10. She was huge at that time.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 5, 2023 20:21

People get too obsessed with charts. The album will still reach top 10 in a lot of countries. In 1978 when you were 16 did you go looking for Dean Martin or Sinatra or Andy Williams? No so the fact our band is putting out music, still make the press and putting out stuff we love is all that matters. Early on in the old thread I remember hoping they recorded enough material for a second album and thinking wishful thinking. One last album and they’re done and now it looks likely we will get 2 studio albums. Consider ourselves blessed. Thank you Rolling Stones

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: October 5, 2023 20:32

When I first asked my google machine to play SSOH it would play me the single version. Now it plays the extended. Does anyone know how this is determined?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 5, 2023 20:38

Big Al
georgelicks
liddas
powerage78

[www.businessofapps.com]

C

That’s a point regarding GaGa that I’d made earlier. It’s very true. Her chart-success, singles-wise, was over a decade ago, circa 2008-10. She was huge at that time.

She may be past her peak, but she’s still a massive force in pop music. Her duet with Ariana Grande, “Rain on Me,” was a No. 1 hit a few years ago. We’ve already talked about “Hold My Hand.” And “Shallow” was a top 5 hit in 2018 and saw massive steaming numbers worldwide. Both of the latter were nominated for Academy Awards.

Again, she’s not the It Thing she was 15 years ago. But 53 million monthly listeners on Spotify (twice that of the Stones) is nothing to sneeze at.

Why she didn’t give the Stones a bigger lift — I can think of a few reasons. While I love the song, it doesn’t have a catchy hook. It’s long. And her part is improvised and complementary. It’s not a duet, strictly speaking.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 5, 2023 21:45

None of the above is a reason why we ageing 40+ (50+, 60+ etc) veterans should not enjoy it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2023 22:16

Like I argued before, I don't think the chart success of any of these 'leading singles' matters for the Stones or their record company very much, or if at all, and this has been the case for decades. The point is to get (media or whatever) attention to wake up their potential audience for the real deal, that is, the album. It all works for that. That of releasing the songs mid-week and the sales of physical copies not matching with that speaks volumes that the one week peak chart performance do not much bother them.

We might project into them whatever (in the spirit of "England's Newest Hitmakers" or whatever about 'hit-hungry' Jagger), but I think they, like their record company, have a pretty realistic grasp of the music business nowadays.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-05 22:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 5, 2023 22:31

Maybe I'm not normal, but I never gave a shit about the commercial success of the Stones, it never interested me in the past, even less today!
If I like it, it's ok! Among other things, many users here, when they have to denigrate a Stones album, say that it is commercial (made for the masses), so it is strange to see these discussions here.

Date: October 5, 2023 22:48

Testify
Maybe I'm not normal, but I never gave a shit about the commercial success of the Stones, it never interested me in the past, even less today!
If I like it, it's ok! Among other things, many users here, when they have to denigrate a Stones album, say that it is commercial (made for the masses), so it is strange to see these discussions here.

You are very normal! But yeah, I think the problem with hardcore fanship of this particular band is that they are a very commercial band by constitution, not any hardcore-fan-friendly avantgarde act to exist just for the sake of art. They think big, and always have done it.

Like Charlie once said, they wouldn't doing it if people wouldn't like it. That is, filling up stadiums. They think very big. Like this new album - they want it to be a big, commercial thing.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-05 22:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 6, 2023 08:51

As rightly pointed out here, the Stones' fan base is aging and hasn't really renewed itself.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: October 6, 2023 10:17

In the Netherlands, Sweet Sounds of Heaven entered at #27 in the tipparade.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 6, 2023 13:29

powerage78
As rightly pointed out here, the Stones' fan base is aging and hasn't really renewed itself.

True, just compare the Rolling Stones and Beatles forums on Reddit, where a lot of younger fans hang out:

The Beatles, 194.000 members.

The Rolling Stones, 17.600 members.

Date: October 6, 2023 15:05

yeababyyea
powerage78

True, just compare the Rolling Stones and Beatles forums on Reddit, where a lot of younger fans hang out:

The Beatles, 194.000 members.

The Rolling Stones, 17.600 members.

Probably the 'forever young' Beatles have a better appeal to the youth. The whole Beatles story and music is a sweet, compact package, easily to grasp. In a way, Stones longetivity works against them, them being so damn old for the most of their career, and having gone through whatever phases. And still no end in sight. Their shining past - you know, when they were the coolest thing on earth by any means - is clouded by their later doings.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-06 15:09 by Doxa.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 6, 2023 15:16

we're not on reddit but on iorr smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: October 6, 2023 15:35

MononoM
we're not on reddit but on iorr smiling smiley

Much better place to be!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-06 15:44 by Doxa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home