Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: snorton ()
Date: October 2, 2023 05:42

I agree, I don't think Sasha can make.it work, and if it falls flat, does Mick keep in the rotation anyway, knowing how well it's being received?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 2, 2023 06:15

Maybe Gaga will guest for one or even two shows? She's done one show before.
This will be better, their recorded collaboration.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 06:15 by angee.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 2, 2023 09:34

If the song is epic, so are some reviews of it here. Wonderful reading, adding nicely to the personal enjoyment and thrill listening to the song. Thank you, people.

Like someone said, there is a certain Swan Song feel there. Well, I had similar thoughts already with BLUE & LONESOME album, but yeah, now they come up with this one... extending their musical vocabulary to the new heights. But we never know what they might come up with next...

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 11:30

So I left this alone for Sunday and this morning here in Perth today just to see if, after a break from it, it would have the same emotional impact.

Cranked it up, and hit play. For me the last two minutes prior to the drop out/ start again, and the whole last 2 minutes of “coda” are amongst the most beautiful, powerful, soulful, ESSENTIAL and primal Stones ever recorded.

I love the whole song, but the last four minutes are other-worldly. Just, dare I say it, heavenly.

Rod

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: October 2, 2023 11:54

nonfilter
This song is really blowing me away! Soul! I’m not interested in any critiques of how high Mick’s voice is in the mix, how some other female could’ve done it better than Gaga, how Steve Jordan didn’t drum it as good as Charlie would have…this is The Rolling Stones right now and they sound as powerful and spine chilling as they’ve ever sounded! I don’t hear guitars buried in the mix, I hear beautiful, unique guitar parts from Keith and Ronnie that subtly fit the song then get heavier as the song builds to its climax! I don’t hear an imitation of The Black Crowes. I hear my favorite band (and The Black Crowes’s favorite band, obviously) doing what they can instinctively do better than any imitator could ever do! I don’t hear a new version of an Otis Redding cover off of a bootleg of outtakes from the last couple of decades. I hear my favorite band harnessing the power and soul of one of their favorite styles of music and doing it in a way that only they could ever do it! That’s why they are so good on Otis Redding covers. It is why they are so good on Chuck Berry covers. If embracing a particular beat and style, and creating a groove and melody around that beat and style, and writing lyrics to that melody and recording that combination of chords, melody, and lyrics very loosely with great passion means you are just remaking another song, then, hardly anyone has ever written an original song.

This song is truly glorious! Gaga does an amazing job! She obviously totally loses herself in the performance! She has NEVER sang like this before! She does flub a couple of words, and that makes it sooooooo much better in this age of “perfect” autotuned vocals. This is a “real” recording! She has said as much in an interview that I can’t re-find to quote. She was talking about how cutting a track with the whole band playing live is an anomaly in this day and age. Steve isn’t Charlie. Nobody is. But Charlie is no longer available to do what he did better than anyone ever, so Steve is doing an amazing job allowing Mick and Keith to continue doing what they can do better than any imitators could ever get close to doing! And Steve is quite amazing himself! I honestly hated the idea of Andrew Watt producing when I first heard about it. Then I saw the credits from ASCAP showing he was a cowriter on 3 songs and became REALLY discouraged. But, these first two singles have made a believer out of me. He must be a true fan, who really knows their real talents, the things they can do that give you chills, the things that no other band can even come close to doing, and had the balls to tell them! I’ve read in different places that either Keith or Andrew played bass on this song. If it is Keith, it is abnormally restrained for him, but it fits the song well. If it is Andy, then my compliments Mr. Watt. It fits the song well.

I won’t even get started on Stevie Wonder! Best choice available today! Nicky and Billy aren’t available, so who would’ve thought of calling this guy??? I’m ecstatic that they did! He is absolutely BRILLIANT!! Back to the guitar work, at first listen, in my car, the second it was released on Spotify, I had a little trouble picking out what the guitars were playing. Each listen gave me more insight. Then, I got home and listened on better speakers and was brought to my knees by the guitar exchanges! This is true Keith and Ronnie interplay at its best! Keith is even doing the subtle one string lead lines, then hitting that razor sharp hard chord on the beat like he did in his absolute prime. Breathtaking stuff to say the least! Ronnie is playing perfect soul licks throughout, but my favorite part is when he almost goes into a different key to hit a couple of Berryesque double stops where they wouldn’t even seem to fit. This is the beauty of a living breathing band recording a song as a band.

And Mick Jagger. He is timeless. This is Mick doing what he was born to do. His delivery is sublime and flawless. Nobody can sing like this. Never could before, and never will. This isn’t Mick chasing pop music trends. It isn’t Mick trying to sound current. This is just Mick Jagger. And it is perfect. It’s everything he ever should be. Nobody can adlib lyrics like Mick Jagger when they run out of words on their lyric sheet. I loved it from the very beginning, but he totally slaughtered me when he hit the falsetto in the call and response with Gaga toward the end.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. This is a very special moment in time. Don’t miss it by focusing on or arguing about tiny details that you think could have been done in a slightly different way to improve things minimally. This is our favorite band delivering greatness.

Same to me.
And we can be blessed that they release new material in their ages.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 12:02

Longevity, a sledgehammer argument to which nothing can stand in the way.
The first one journalists mention.
That goes for the Stones and some others.
But the quality of 2023 music is there for all to see.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 12:37 by powerage78.

Posted by: wachterc ()
Date: October 2, 2023 13:25

Love your comments :-) Just have fun with the Stones!!!

Posted by: wachterc ()
Date: October 2, 2023 13:25

Gangster-of-love
nonfilter
This song is really blowing me away! Soul! I’m not interested in any critiques of how high Mick’s voice is in the mix, how some other female could’ve done it better than Gaga, how Steve Jordan didn’t drum it as good as Charlie would have…this is The Rolling Stones right now and they sound as powerful and spine chilling as they’ve ever sounded! I don’t hear guitars buried in the mix, I hear beautiful, unique guitar parts from Keith and Ronnie that subtly fit the song then get heavier as the song builds to its climax! I don’t hear an imitation of The Black Crowes. I hear my favorite band (and The Black Crowes’s favorite band, obviously) doing what they can instinctively do better than any imitator could ever do! I don’t hear a new version of an Otis Redding cover off of a bootleg of outtakes from the last couple of decades. I hear my favorite band harnessing the power and soul of one of their favorite styles of music and doing it in a way that only they could ever do it! That’s why they are so good on Otis Redding covers. It is why they are so good on Chuck Berry covers. If embracing a particular beat and style, and creating a groove and melody around that beat and style, and writing lyrics to that melody and recording that combination of chords, melody, and lyrics very loosely with great passion means you are just remaking another song, then, hardly anyone has ever written an original song.

This song is truly glorious! Gaga does an amazing job! She obviously totally loses herself in the performance! She has NEVER sang like this before! She does flub a couple of words, and that makes it sooooooo much better in this age of “perfect” autotuned vocals. This is a “real” recording! She has said as much in an interview that I can’t re-find to quote. She was talking about how cutting a track with the whole band playing live is an anomaly in this day and age. Steve isn’t Charlie. Nobody is. But Charlie is no longer available to do what he did better than anyone ever, so Steve is doing an amazing job allowing Mick and Keith to continue doing what they can do better than any imitators could ever get close to doing! And Steve is quite amazing himself! I honestly hated the idea of Andrew Watt producing when I first heard about it. Then I saw the credits from ASCAP showing he was a cowriter on 3 songs and became REALLY discouraged. But, these first two singles have made a believer out of me. He must be a true fan, who really knows their real talents, the things they can do that give you chills, the things that no other band can even come close to doing, and had the balls to tell them! I’ve read in different places that either Keith or Andrew played bass on this song. If it is Keith, it is abnormally restrained for him, but it fits the song well. If it is Andy, then my compliments Mr. Watt. It fits the song well.

I won’t even get started on Stevie Wonder! Best choice available today! Nicky and Billy aren’t available, so who would’ve thought of calling this guy??? I’m ecstatic that they did! He is absolutely BRILLIANT!! Back to the guitar work, at first listen, in my car, the second it was released on Spotify, I had a little trouble picking out what the guitars were playing. Each listen gave me more insight. Then, I got home and listened on better speakers and was brought to my knees by the guitar exchanges! This is true Keith and Ronnie interplay at its best! Keith is even doing the subtle one string lead lines, then hitting that razor sharp hard chord on the beat like he did in his absolute prime. Breathtaking stuff to say the least! Ronnie is playing perfect soul licks throughout, but my favorite part is when he almost goes into a different key to hit a couple of Berryesque double stops where they wouldn’t even seem to fit. This is the beauty of a living breathing band recording a song as a band.

And Mick Jagger. He is timeless. This is Mick doing what he was born to do. His delivery is sublime and flawless. Nobody can sing like this. Never could before, and never will. This isn’t Mick chasing pop music trends. It isn’t Mick trying to sound current. This is just Mick Jagger. And it is perfect. It’s everything he ever should be. Nobody can adlib lyrics like Mick Jagger when they run out of words on their lyric sheet. I loved it from the very beginning, but he totally slaughtered me when he hit the falsetto in the call and response with Gaga toward the end.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. This is a very special moment in time. Don’t miss it by focusing on or arguing about tiny details that you think could have been done in a slightly different way to improve things minimally. This is our favorite band delivering greatness.

Same to me.
And we can be blessed that they release new material in their ages.

Love your comments :-) Just have fun with the Stones!!!

Date: October 2, 2023 13:27

Just thinking the relationship between Gospel and the Stones...

Before the new song, they haven't really done Gospel stuff that much. But there is one huge exception: EXILE ON MAIN STREET. There they had two pieces pretty directly gospel-influenced, "Shine A Light" and "Just Wanna See His Face". Plus the use of female, black church-like back vocs all over the album ("Let It Loose" and "Tumbling Dice" in particular) is a part of EXILE appeal. Even some pure rock tracks, such as "Rocks Off", "All Down The Line" and "Soul Survivor" there is a kind specific positive joy and energy that stems from like some Afro-American church mass, as much from the joints the blues dudes once played.

Makes me wonder that when I saw Aretha's wonderful AMAZING GRACE movie, and spotted Mick and Charlie there at the church, and knowing they were finishing up EXILE in L.A. at the time - did that concert affect on the gospel-spirit of EXILE? Or was it that they had that already in mind, but just wanted to find some inspiration from the Real Thing? Can be a pure co-incidence for sure, but still I tend to think that there was some kind of cause and effect there. Something was in the air. The bulk of those over-dubs of EXILE, such as all those gospelish female choruses, were then done in L.A. and those had an important role to the over-all specific feel and sound of EXILE.

So decades later, Mick, like we all, saw AMAZING GRACE and he discovered the gospel spirit in himself again? smiling smiley

Anyway, "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" is their purest Gospel attempt so far. Both musically and lyrically. The EXILE gospel tracks, although formally okay, are still are a bit suspicious lyrically - like with early country & western songs done tongue-in-a-cheek, they Stones-like do not take that serious and authentic attitude. "Just Wanna See His Face" sounds like a pretty skeptical and secular stance..

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 13:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 2, 2023 13:34

Rip This
BEING NEGATIVE JUST TO BE DIFFERENT OR BE CONTROVERSIAL IS BORING AND A WASTE OF TIME.....SORRY BUT CRITICISM OF WATT IS UNWARRANTED...HE MADE 80 YEAR OLDS SOUND RELEVANT...THEY HAVE A HIT...SO JUST STOP. THANKS.

btw here's a great article with A Watt

[www.billboard.com]

thumbs up

Date: October 2, 2023 13:43

Doxa

Before the new song, they haven't really done Gospel stuff that much. But there is one huge exception: EXILE ON MAIN STREET. There they had two pieces pretty directly gospel-influenced, "Shine A Light" and "Just Wanna See His Face". Plus the use of female, black church-like back vocs all over the album ("Let It Loose" and "Tumbling Dice" in particular) is a part of EXILE appeal. Even some pure rock tracks, such as "Rocks Off", "All Down The Line" and "Soul Survivor" there is a kind specific positive joy and energy that stems from like some Afro-American church mass, as much from the joints the blues dudes once played.

Makes me wonder that when I saw Aretha's wonderful AMAZING GRACE movie, and spotted Mick and Charlie there at the church, and knowing they were finishing up EXILE in L.A. at the time - did that concert affect on the gospel-spirit of EXILE? Or was it that they had that already in mind, but just wanted to find some inspiration from the Real Thing? Can be a pure co-incidence for sure, but still I tend to think that there was some kind of cause and effect there. Something was in the air. The bulk of those over-dubs of EXILE, such as all those gospelish female choruses, were then done in L.A. and those had an important role to the over-all specific feel and sound of EXILE.

So decades later, Mick, like we all, saw AMAZING GRACE and he discovered the gospel spirit in himself again? smiling smiley

Anyway, "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" is their purest Gospel attempt so far. Both musically and lyrically. The EXILE gospel tracks, although formally okay, are still are a bit suspicious lyrically - like with early country & western songs done tongue-in-a-cheek, they Stones-like do not take that serious and authentic attitude. "Just Wanna See His Face" sounds like a pretty skeptical and secular stance..

- Doxa

Mick's solo track Out Of Focus also deserves a mention. Brilliant song!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2023 14:04

It’s not terrible. Nothing spectacular, nothing memorable. 5/10

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: October 2, 2023 14:13

Redhotcarpet
It’s not terrible. Nothing spectacular, nothing memorable. 5/10

you are so funny, not

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 2, 2023 14:31

Rip This
BEING NEGATIVE JUST TO BE DIFFERENT OR BE CONTROVERSIAL IS BORING AND A WASTE OF TIME.....SORRY BUT CRITICISM OF WATT IS UNWARRANTED...HE MADE 80 YEAR OLDS SOUND RELEVANT...THEY HAVE A HIT...SO JUST STOP. THANKS.

[www.billboard.com]

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think it's a good song but it's not in my top-100 Stones songs.

The bridge (influenced by Andrew or not) is very posh sounding for a Stones song. And the lyrics "always need a target for your bow and arrow" is a bit cringe.

Some people prefer a cleaner more modern sound, and that's totally fine. Personally I prefer the stripped down almost underproduced sound of A Bigger Bang.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 14:32 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 2, 2023 15:00

Doxa

- Doxa

Hey Doxa - your analysis is a joy to read. You picked up on that fabulous gospel vibe that surfaces throughout Exile On Main Street and gives the album that unique, black feel and that's such an important point.

It is the soul coming back that for so long has been missing off Rolling Stones' albums. We've seen it in small doses - Love Is Strong had a Chicago style version and on the 2002/3 Licks Tour when Mick, before our eyes, turned back the clock and became the young Mick again singing That's How Strong My Love Is.

That for me is what has been missing for so long - the soul element to the Rolling Stones. Give me that over the stadium rock of Angry any day of the week.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: October 2, 2023 15:13

Artists in their 'late days' tend to minimalise their sound. Look at Cash, look at Solomon Burke. An intimate, warm sound with a basic band. Downplaying to get the opposite effect, if you get my drift. From the two first songs I derive they opted for a more orchestral, big sound.Nothing wrong with that. I would have preferred a smaller bang instead of a bigger bang looking at the phase their career is in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 15:14 by paulspendel.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 15:40

Rip This

[www.billboard.com]

Thank you very much Rip This! Great interview.

Date: October 2, 2023 15:53

paulspendel
Artists in their 'late days' tend to minimalise their sound. Look at Cash, look at Solomon Burke. An intimate, warm sound with a basic band. Downplaying to get the opposite effect, if you get my drift. From the two first songs I derive they opted for a more orchestral, big sound.Nothing wrong with that. I would have preferred a smaller bang instead of a bigger bang looking at the phase their career is in.

I can see your point, but at the same time I find the Stones doing exactly a Stonesian thing: to not act like the artists tend to act in their 'late days'. No scaling down, no growing up gracefully, just pushing forward, and hopefully, even with a bigger bang than before...

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 2, 2023 16:05

paulspendel

The very fact that for the past 30 years the Stones refuse to age "gracefully", is the main reason why I still love the band so much.

Can you imagine Mick Jagger pretending to be mature, intimate and warm?

God save Mick Jagger!

C

Date: October 2, 2023 16:29

Thank god Johnny Lydon grew up to be mature, intimate and warm smiling smiley.

Date: October 2, 2023 16:30

I can see your point, but at the same time I find the Stones doing exactly a Stonesian thing: to not act like the artists tend to act in their 'late days'. No scaling down, no growing up gracefully, just pushing forward, and hopefully, even with a bigger bang than before...

- Doxa[/quote]

Wellbalanced as ever, thank you Doxa.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 2, 2023 16:31

How about Saint of me as a gospel inspired song?
I think Billy Preston (he went to church in Brussels?) is the first one to bring some
gospel into the music, as he did on Shine a Light and Saint of me.
And isn't Salt of the Earth also an example of the Stones flirting with gospel?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 2, 2023 16:46

does anyone know which version is on the 10"?
and which version is on the album?
is this the same? smiling smiley
(i am asking this because on the 10" of angry is just the normal album version. also on the 7"...). in the past 10" were used for longer versions.. 7" often had radio edits on them (and not to mentions song(s)/edits/mixes on the b-side which are/is not on the album).

or are they just money grabbing and is all the same?

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 16:48 by MononoM.

Date: October 2, 2023 16:51

marcovandereijk
I think Billy Preston (he went to church in Brussels?) is the first one to bring some

Indeed. There is certainly a gospel-vibe (especially) in the beginning of Saint Of Me. Both Salt Of The Earth and YCAGWYW are gospel-tinged.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 2, 2023 17:09

DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk

Indeed. There is certainly a gospel-vibe (especially) in the beginning of Saint Of Me. Both Salt Of The Earth and YCAGWYW are gospel-tinged.

The ones I remember are:

Salt of the earth
YCAGWYW
Shine a light
Let it loose
I just wanna see his face
Saint of me
Sweet sounds of heaven

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 17:10 by goingmad.

Posted by: StonesCPA ()
Date: October 2, 2023 17:12

"No I'm not, not going to hell
In some dusty motel" - is such a cool line from old rock stars and the way both Mick and Gaga say "motel" is a real highlight of the song.

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 2, 2023 17:59

StonesCPA
"No I'm not, not going to hell
In some dusty motel" - is such a cool line from old rock stars and the way both Mick and Gaga say "motel" is a real highlight of the song.

Best part of the song for me too

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 2, 2023 19:56

goingmad
DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk

The ones I remember are:

Salt of the earth
YCAGWYW
Shine a light
Let it loose
Saint of me
Sweet sounds of heaven

I would add "Continental Drift" to the list. It's not gospel in the traditional western sense, but still..

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 2, 2023 20:02

paulspendel

I understand completely, and I would say that I feel the same generally, but then there's also the reality to face and I mean specifically the reality of Mick as, thank God one could say spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, the driving force that is behind the accomplishment of Hackney Diamonds. He's no Johnny Cash nor Tom Waits, he's no Keith Richards either of course and if you go back to Lover's plea, the "Stax" moment that ends Crosseyed Heart, you can see what I mean.

As I see it is that without Mick we would have got nothing, period (and also in the great Watt's interview posted in the other threas this is acknowledged by the story of the recording of Rollin' Stone and Keith's attitude about that)

From this pov to have something like SSOH I think is a gift, a surprisingly beautiful one. Hard to imagine a better Stones song in 2023.

Quoting the great post by Doxa about the gospel heritage in Exile, my heart will still continue to bend toward JWTSHF for sure, but the loud SSOH is not going to be forgotten any time soon, on the contrary

also good vibes considering that the album kicks off with Angry, with that gospelish clapping coda and ends with SSOH with Rollin' Stone as an "intimate" encore. good vibes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-02 20:12 by maumau.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 2, 2023 20:11

retired_dog
goingmad
DandelionPowderman
marcovandereijk

The ones I remember are:

Salt of the earth
YCAGWYW
Shine a light
Let it loose
Saint of me
Sweet sounds of heaven

I would add "Continental Drift" to the list. It's not gospel in the traditional western sense, but still..

thumbs up ... This and Heaven (Tattoo you) are Mick's masterpieces (regarding the esoteric).....imo anyway.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2333
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home